As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    question about the lvl 15 conjurer quest
    am I just supposed to heal the dudes while they kill everything?

I did this and its how I won. It was still a bit frantic but after the first 15 seconds, I couldn't dps and heal so I chose the latter.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    question about the lvl 15 conjurer quest
    am I just supposed to heal the dudes while they kill everything?

object is just to kill everything but that was how I passed it, with some water sprite cleanup

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    been away since friday, got home around 2:30pm and fired up the launcher. loaded up my saved character data, and think i am lucky because when I go to select sargatanas the name is actually lit. pop in my characters name click ok....characters cannot be created at this time.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=f5BSyFjKGkg&feature=youtu.be&t=29s

anyways, now im playing FFT on my vita and hitting refresh when its available.

could be worse ways to pass a nice quiet sunday.

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    via twitter
    The Beta Test errors 3102 and 90000 are still under investigation and unfortunately we have no new information regarding them at this time. We are aware of the frustration these errors are causing and apologize that they are impacting the accessibility and enjoyment of the game. As soon as we have more details, we'll be sure to announce it. Once again, we apologize for the issues and appreciate your understanding.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that I want to make a character named Esuna Metata?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    hmm cant load NA/EU servers.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I actually like the slower deliberate GCD in this game. On my MRD, it means I have to decide whether to put a bleed on this guy, or use 2 GCDs to use my combo that will give me a nice hefty sundering strike for bonus dmg and enmity. Later, I get another combo move that comes off heavy strike so I have to decide which to use and keep my dmg buff uptime high. It's definitely a bit slower paced than some other MMO combat, but that's part of what I like about it.

Im too twitchy a player. I tend to spam keys during GCD anyway because I always know what I am going to do next WAY before 2.5 (or even 1.5) seconds. That might come from playing PVP my whole mmo career.

Im doing a MRD too and at least up to level 9, the bleed is a complete waste of time. I figured this out by doing chains on the same set of dudes; I never got better times using it then when I didn't. In fact, it was noticably better to just alternate between the 2 combo skills. Especially because if you kill something with the first you can start something with the second.

That being said, I am kind of enjoying the relaxing pace too. I would love to be able to just make the entirety of this game be to level every class and job to max just to experience it all and gain the maximum number of options. But alas, there is zero chance of a sub game existing in my life untill money stops sucking ass.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    hey lets start a rumor that the reason the NA servers are having so much trouble and the JP are not is SE re-purposed the old 1.0 servers for us and gave Japan the brand spankin new ones.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    zmFN4sL.jpg?1
    :3

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Just ran into this thing. Loving the monster design in this game.
    qswu.png

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    did they do this evil thing greg?

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • Options
    Just ran into this thing. Loving the monster design in this game.
    qswu.png

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So for the newbs, what's the expected path to follow?

I mean, I get that I have to get to level 10 in my starting class to unlock the ability to change to another one. But what's after that? I heard stuff about subjobs, level 15 class-specific quests- and at some point we should be able to unlock jobs, right? What's the progression?

• Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    I pre-ordered the digital copy of the game from the Square Enix online store. Im hoping to get the early access so I followed the instructions in the preorder pdf (signed up at preorder.na.finalfantasyxiv.com, have an account at Square). When i attempt to add the game serial # to to my account, it says it is invalid. Is this because the game isn't released yet? I want to be sure I'm not missing anything for the early access.

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

I mean, I get that I have to get to level 10 in my starting class to unlock the ability to change to another one. But what's after that? I heard stuff about subjobs, level 15 class-specific quests- and at some point we should be able to unlock jobs, right? What's the progression?

Well, right now quests just stop at 20, as does XP.

There are no 'subjobs' like in FFXI; in XIV you simply have access to some abilities from other classes you've leveled, on other classes. So unlike XI you aren't required to keep a subjob 'up to par' constantly, so you can just pursue the class you want. However to unlock 'jobs' in live you'll need (presumably, in 1.0 it was required anyway) a main class at 30 and a second class at 15.

Aaaanyway, the 'progression' is to just follow your cities main quests, it will typically lead you to your regions secondary quests, and just do that forever. All classes have class quests every 5 levels. If you go to another city to quest, be aware you'll have access to far fewer quests in general since you won't have the cities main quests to unlock more secondaries (a bad oversight, IMO, I hope they 'fix' this sometime), so you'll have to rely on FATES and leve's/hests a lot more for XP. Which is fine, I mean, most of the quests are just filler things anyway, but you just have to be aware of it.

To change you classes you'll have to do the "so you want to be a..." quest at that classes guild first to unlock the right to do that class, then you just change your weapons and it changes your class, and you can just xp that way.

So yeah, just follow the breadcrumbs really. Second (and on) classes in other regions are less straightforward, but once you get used to the systems XIV has to gain XP it makes sense.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    What is the fastest way to 10 anyway? Seems like the way people talk I should have leveled much faster

• Options
    SaboSabo Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So I'm stuck with the 3102 error, but in the downtime I had some noob questions for you guys.

1) I haven't got around to switching classes/jobs yet, but is it fairly easy straight forward process? I started as a THM, but I was looking to change to CNJ for a bit to pick up Protect.

2) How do I keep track of my "class quest". I always see comments about how things won't unlock until I finished my class quest, but I don't even know which one that is, lol.

3) Is there PvP?

4) Oh ya, is there a map or something showing level requirements for each Job?

Sabo on
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Sabo wrote: »
    So I'm stuck with the 3102 error, but in the downtime I had some noob questions for you guys.

1) I haven't got around to switching classes/jobs yet, but is it fairly easy straight forward process? I started as a THM, but I was looking to change to CNJ for a bit to pick up Protect.

2) How do I keep track of my "class quest". I always see comments about how things won't unlock until I finished my class quest, but I don't even know which one that is, lol.

3) Is there PvP?

4) Oh ya, is there a map or something showing level requirements for each Job?

Switching classes requires going to the guild to unlock it, then just equipping the weapon they use. Class quests are given out by aforementioned guilds when you reach certain levels in each class, one very 5 levels, at least up to 20. There is PvP, but you can't try it in the beta unless you have a legacy character above lvl 30. It will be in the release though. I'm not sure if there's anything in game that mentions the reqs for jobs, but I would assume they mention something somewhere when you hit 30. There's a google doc floating around somewhere with that info though. It's pretty much always 30 in primary class, 15 in secondary though.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    anyone should know that closed beta is never going to stress the servers as much as open beta. if you didn't expect issues then I don't know what to say.

but keep on complaining

about the free phase

that is still in beta(you agreed to beta tester terms, after all)

or maybe you should go do something else and wait for the actual game release

Or do what many will do and realize that the "olz it's beta, it'll TOTES be fixed by next week!" statements usually never pan out, it'll probably launch with the same old problems, and just cancel your pre-order and move on to one of the many other quality games already out.

And then Square loses a lot of money and actually wishes that maybe they'd listen to the complaints and fix them? I mean is your answer really "don't complain ever, don't ask for anything to improve, just quit or sit on your hands hoping things magically change without anyone saying anything."

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I'm planning on upgrading soon for this. I'm really liking it now, I'm a 15 lancer. Movement in combat is pretty useful and I actually like the story/NPCs.

Couple questions:

Will there be a wipe? What kind of crafting is useful for melee classes?

Also, I want to be a dragoon. What classes should I be leveling?

• Options
    Karrmer wrote: »
    anyone should know that closed beta is never going to stress the servers as much as open beta. if you didn't expect issues then I don't know what to say.

but keep on complaining

about the free phase

Or do what many will do and realize that the "olz it's beta, it'll TOTES be fixed by next week!" statements usually never pan out, it'll probably launch with the same old problems, and just cancel your pre-order and move on to one of the many other quality games already out.

And then Square loses a lot of money and actually wishes that maybe they'd listen to the complaints and fix them? I mean is your answer really "don't complain ever, don't ask for anything to improve, just quit or sit on your hands hoping things magically change without anyone saying anything."

If shit isn't fixed by launch, everyone will be completely justified in whatever bitching they do. Until then, chill. Square wants this resolved a shit ton more than you do.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Everyone should level PUG and CNJ at least a little, because Second Wind and Protect are so damned good solo.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

but keep on complaining

about the free phase

Actually, understanding that it is a beta, that it is an issue that they have acknowledged, at that they are in the process of fixing the issue is a perfectly reasonable approach to take. There is nothing "Magical" about it. Once the issue has been acknowledged any further complaint is just kind of pointless. You are right in that you need to make noise to make sure they know it's an issue, but once that is done any further complaint is just hot air.

There is no reason to expect the issue to persist after a week of troubleshooting on it, especially an issue of this nature. I'm not sure why you would think it will still be an issue personally and I would suspect it's just more you not really understanding how the process works for issues like this, or just being upset and venting with hyperbole.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular

There are no 'subjobs' like in FFXI; in XIV you simply have access to some abilities from other classes you've leveled, on other classes. So unlike XI you aren't required to keep a subjob 'up to par' constantly, so you can just pursue the class you want. However to unlock 'jobs' in live you'll need (presumably, in 1.0 it was required anyway) a main class at 30 and a second class at 15.

Aaaanyway, the 'progression' is to just follow your cities main quests, it will typically lead you to your regions secondary quests, and just do that forever. All classes have class quests every 5 levels. If you go to another city to quest, be aware you'll have access to far fewer quests in general since you won't have the cities main quests to unlock more secondaries (a bad oversight, IMO, I hope they 'fix' this sometime), so you'll have to rely on FATES and leve's/hests a lot more for XP. Which is fine, I mean, most of the quests are just filler things anyway, but you just have to be aware of it.

To change you classes you'll have to do the "so you want to be a..." quest at that classes guild first to unlock the right to do that class, then you just change your weapons and it changes your class, and you can just xp that way.

So yeah, just follow the breadcrumbs really. Second (and on) classes in other regions are less straightforward, but once you get used to the systems XIV has to gain XP it makes sense.

Got it- thanks!

Just to clarify- how do you know if an ability is accessible by other classes/jobs? Right now I'm a level 8 Arcanist so I haven't played anything but, though it would be nice if I could see what my current role can offer others down the line.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Everyone should level PUG and CNJ at least a little, because Second Wind and Protect are so damned good solo.
    is there a list somewhere with the allowable out-of-class equippable skills?

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Awk wrote: »
    I pre-ordered the digital copy of the game from the Square Enix online store. Im hoping to get the early access so I followed the instructions in the preorder pdf (signed up at preorder.na.finalfantasyxiv.com, have an account at Square). When i attempt to add the game serial # to to my account, it says it is invalid. Is this because the game isn't released yet? I want to be sure I'm not missing anything for the early access.

NA people can add their early access code starting August 20th. Unless they botch that, too. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »

but keep on complaining

about the free phase

If shit isn't fixed by launch, everyone will be completely justified in whatever bitching they do. Until then, chill. Square wants this resolved a shit ton more than you do.

Also...there will be shit that is broken at launch. That's just life, and that's just MMO's.

Even if all of the server/populations issues are more or less resolved, there'll be something.

I mean...I haven't really had any problem playing this weekend, when I wanted to play. I got a 90000 last night when everyone did, but that's it. And, judging from the population of the Free Company when I'm playing, I think that the vast majority of us are getting on when we want to get on.

But lets all just be honest and prepared...there'll be something that prevents some players from logging on, even if 99% of the players have zero issues. And like every other damn thing, some folks will complain so loud that, like the current issues, others will be lead to believe they are way more widespread than they really are. I'm not saying that to be a dick, just pointing out the reality of issues like this tend to be much much smaller than the internet makes it sound. It totally sucks when you're the one effected, trust me, I know from other games, but just be aware when you're getting frustrated (which again, is fair), that other peoples dismissing of you isn't malice...they're probably just not having any of the issues you are.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    there's nothing wrong with complaining about an issue and bringing notice to stuf etc

but it's really pointless and aggravating to complain about it to other people who are experiencing the same issue

I mean, seriously, what the hell do you want me to do about it?

Just chill

I'm disappointed I'm not able to play right now, but I'm not going to raise hell when its an acknowledged issue that is being dealt with

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I somehow managed to tank through two dungeons while getting constant 90000 errors yesterday

that was something

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    there's nothing wrong with complaining about an issue and bringing notice to stuf etc

but it's really pointless and aggravating to complain about it to other people who are experiencing the same issue

probably they are looking for empathy

CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »

probably they are looking for empathy

I avoid feeling empathy for rage

that is a bad place I don't want to go

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Got it- thanks!

Just to clarify- how do you know if an ability is accessible by other classes/jobs? Right now I'm a level 8 Arcanist so I haven't played anything but, though it would be nice if I could see what my current role can offer others down the line.

Each ability will list on it which jobs it is compatible with. So if you look at your Arcanist skills, any that list CNJ will be usable as a Conjurer, etc. Pugilist's Second Wind is pretty amazing because almost every class can use it, same as Conjurer's Protect.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The only fellow I've gotten any real headway on, due to various errors and such, is my Marauder. This is a shame, because I don't think I could possibly be any less interested in a class. It's taken me only a handful of hours to hit level 10, but I feel like I've been at that shit for days. Looking at the skills I would be getting later doesn't fill me with much hope.

edit: i ate a bug. god dammit.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Soo....folks who have leveled multiple classes in ARR...a question.

On my CNJ leveling in Gridania (Ul'dah is my main city, did THM there to 20) quests just stopped around level 13. I'm 17 now I think and there's been nothing since then; I keep checking the various areas/camps and there simply aren't any quests at all.

What gives? I know in Ul'dah it wasn't uncommon for new quests to unlock after doing a story mission but did they seriously fuck it up so on alt classes you simply can't access mass amounts of quests in different regions because it's not your main city?

I knew I'd have to level various classes relatively quest-less, but I kinda figured that wouldn't start until after I had done all 3 'regions' once prior.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    I somehow managed to tank through two dungeons while getting constant 90000 errors yesterday

that was something

It was pretty fun.

• Options
    edited August 2013

On my CNJ leveling in Gridania (Ul'dah is my main city, did THM there to 20) quests just stopped around level 13. I'm 17 now I think and there's been nothing since then; I keep checking the various areas/camps and there simply aren't any quests at all.

What gives? I know in Ul'dah it wasn't uncommon for new quests to unlock after doing a story mission but did they seriously fuck it up so on alt classes you simply can't access mass amounts of quests in different regions because it's not your main city?

I knew I'd have to level various classes relatively quest-less, but I kinda figured that wouldn't start until after I had done all 3 'regions' once prior.

Well, once you hit 15 or so they send you off on the dungeon tour, then to that spot in ul'dah. I don't know if there are any other 15-20 areas besides that one. All I could suggest is following the hunting log, if you go in order it usually takes you near quest hubs.

Etiowsa on
  • Options

I'm actually wondering if it's not the story quests... but those first couple in-city errand ones.

• Options

I'm actually wondering if it's not the story quests... but those first couple in-city errand ones.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular

I had the same issue. When I hit around level 12 it became a crawl to get my Conjurer up to 15 for my upcoming Bard-ness. My wife had the same issue leveling her thaumertage for her summoner. Alting is a pain so far ...

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So, random lame part of a quest to be stuck on. But seriously this taunting of some random marauders thing is killing me. Not sure what I'm doing wrong :/

Edit: Should note that I'd like an invite. Cath Copperton is name ingame.

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
This discussion has been closed.