As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS2 Disc Read Error

BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
So yesterday I finally went out and picked up God of War 1 and 2 because I've wanted to play them for a long time. I was oh so excited to play them.

When I got home, I immediately popped in God of War 1. Of course, given my luck, I got a disc read error. The weird thing is, the PS2 will read all my other games (Final Fantasy 12, God of War 2) just fine. I've tried putting in the disc on its side, putting in a game that works and then swapping out the disc for God of War 1 and fucking smacking the system.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I really want to fucking play this game.

duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
Borfase on

• ZhouZhou Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Go get a new disc.

Zhou on
  • gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Crack it open and give the laser a wipe. Solves the problem and kept my orignal PS2 alive and well. Its not too difficult. You just need screwdrivers

gazamc on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's probably a fault with the disc.

If it turns out to be the console, and you can't get a refund/warranty/etc, this is the site you want:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

Xagarath on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh thank god. I went and exchanged copies and it works now.

Borfase on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    DAMMIT IT'S NOT WORKING AGAIN.

I had to reset to clear some memory card space and now it won't read the disc again. Fuck

Borfase on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God of War is on a dual-layer disc. A lot of the time, when a PS2 first starts getting disc read errors, it's on dual-layer and CD games.

Cleaning the laser lens on mine helped.

mntorankusu on
  • AshendarkAshendark Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At some point my PS2 started giving me disc read errors on multiple discs. I cracked it open and used a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol to clean the lens and it fixed my disc read errors.

Ashendark on
    Ashendark.gif
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God of War is on a dual-layer disc. A lot of the time, when a PS2 first starts getting disc read errors, it's on dual-layer and CD games.

Really? Hmm. When i was getting mad DRE's (before i knew how to fix them) all it would let me play were the blue bottomed discs. Tekken Tag and R.A.D that is. What does that mean?

But yes, cleaning your machine/lens is the best bet

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had DREs on CDs. Then I shut off the system, turned it Vertical, and then turned it on and inserted a game. It worked then, so I shut it off, turned it back horizontal, and turned it back on and thankfully, it ran CD disc games.

Of course never turn horizontal/vertical while a disc is in the drive while the system is on and running, because of the gyration effect, which can damage the disc and/or system.

slash000 on
  • Cleric_TwiggyCleric_Twiggy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had the same error when I bought my copy of God of War last week. Many of the forums I searched claimed that it was probably a bad disc, but the extent of the problem (especially on this particular game and almost exclusively with older systems) was far too much to be bad disc making. One of the sites suggested that when you reboot your PS2, hit Triangle to get into the options menu. From there you can choose to turn on Diagnosis (or something like that). I did that and when I exited from the menu it started the game up immediately. I think it just realigns the laser or something of that sort, but whatever, I can play my game now! Hope it works for you..

Cleric_Twiggy on
    Twiggy
    MKDS: 1890-3814-0891
    MPH: 1031-4679-1259
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    It's probably a fault with the disc.

If it turns out to be the console, and you can't get a refund/warranty/etc, this is the site you want:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

This fixed my PS2, but I would recommend not putting all the screws back in cause chances are good you'll have to do this again a few times and you only need like 1 or 2 of the screws in to keep it togther.

Burtletoy on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Witchsight wrote: »

Really? Hmm. When i was getting mad DRE's (before i knew how to fix them) all it would let me play were the blue bottomed discs. Tekken Tag and R.A.D that is. What does that mean?

I've been tinkering with my brother's DREing PS2 Fats, and I believe when it has different repsonses to different colored media (DVDs, game CDs, audio CDs of different colors), that means the laser needs to be adjusted. It's actually quite simple, although it takes time and patience to tinker with. A simple twist of a screw or two made the DREing PS2 I was working on much better -- not 100 percent reliable, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

I've been tinkering with my brother's DREing PS2 Fats, and I believe when it has different repsonses to different colored media (DVDs, game CDs, audio CDs of different colors), that means the laser needs to be adjusted. It's actually quite simple, although it takes time and patience to tinker with. A simple twist of a screw or two made the DREing PS2 I was working on much better -- not 100 percent reliable, though.
    Cleaning the lens can still help. I don't recommend against adjusting the laser, but please don't do it before cleaning the lens with some isopropyl alcohol. There's a good chance it will work again after cleaning it, and there's just about no chance of you breaking your PS2.

Edit: Spelling 'n' Grammar.

mntorankusu on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

Cleaning the lens can still help. I don't recommend against adjusting the laser, but please don't do it before cleaning the lens with some isopropyl alcohol. There's a good chance it will work again after cleaning it, and there's just about no chance of you breaking your PS2.

Edit: Spelling 'n' Grammar.
    Oh, true -- I meant to try it after cleaning the lens. All the swabbing in the world didn't help my brother's system, so I ended up trying to laser adjustment, which had much more of an effect. It's still not 100 percent reliable, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have yet to actually try cleaning the lens, but I've been getting DRE's like crazy. I guess I'll have to do that.

Stupid thing is, though, that it's fine when I'm using it to play movies. It only gives me DRE's when I'm trying to play games. It'll usually catch and run fine after I reset the machine a couple of times, but I have absolutely no problem with it reading movies.

Swab + alcohol, here I come.

Vargas Prime on