As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mazda 3 interior - turning yellow

winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a 2007 Mazda 3. It's the base model, meaning all the interior is plastic with cheap fabric seats. Im regretting not purchasing the SP23... anyway.
My car interior is beginning to go from 'grey' to a more 'yellow' tone in areas. The areas effected are...
- Glove compartment
- Glove Box
- Drivers side door panel (arm rest)
- and the two front seats.

My folks had a ford festiva a few years back and the same thing happened to that thing. And it continued to get worse.

Is there anyway to prevent this from progressing? Is this sort of thing due to parking in the sun, or is it like old electronics plastics where they just eventually turn to a yellow color (e.g. my old Super Nintendo and 486 PC turned yellow after some time).

Ive attached images, but the phone hasn't picked it up too well. But anyone thats seen this issue in cars, will know what im talking about

This shows how the color SHOULD look (area on left and right of the radio/aircon control)
2ufdmdv.jpg

globe box is most noticable
abm0z7.jpg

drivers door is turning yellowish
rksmqe.jpg

winter_combat_knight on

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I would imagine it's from UV exposure. For preventing/cleaning you can try http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Car-Plastic

I'd be hesitant to use more extreme 'anti-yellowing' guides for a car's interior

Alegis on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    It's the sun. Get a reflective windscreen sheet for when you park at work or wherever the car is exposed to sunlit and you should be able to significantly slow (though not reverse) the process.

• Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I laughed but felt bad about it.

As far as the interior goes, hit up an auto parts shop and get some vinyl cleaner (and a clay kit / wax while you're there - cheap and easy way to make your car's paint stay gorgeous). I use Mother's for interior stuff but I'd imagine it's all pretty much the same (but don't use anything silicone-based, will make things worse)

Here's the low-down on interior care. Site is a good resource for everything car-care - obviously lots of product placement but good info therein.

* Oh and get one of those spring-folding windshield shades as well.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

drivers door is turning yellowish
    rksmqe.jpg

I have nothing constructive to add, but I wanted to thank you for posting this picture. I drive the same car in a left hand drive version and this is just so familiar and so wrong at the same time. :)

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    1st question: Do you smoke?
    2nd question: Do you smoke inside the car?
    3rd question: Do you park in the sun?

Cigarette smoke, skin oils, and sunlight will yellow car interior plastics in that order of magnitiude.
    UV used to be the big killer, but modern plastics are pretty fucking resilient to damage from sunlight, it's more about the heat that oxidises the colouring pigments in the plastic. Your car looks like it has a dark exterior colour (at least, the wing mirror makes it seem so), so if you do park in sun, stop that. Get a car-sized pit tent for home and work if need be, and use them.

If you smoke inside your car, stop it. You're fucking up your car.

When you're doing your weekly car wash clean the interior too. Then protect that shit from all the gunk that leaks out of us (sweat, skin oils, etc. etc.) because stuff like the urea in your sweat is pretty bad for your car interior.

• Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

Alegis / Dhalphir -Thanks for the tips/links. I use a heat shield during the summer, but if it is UV exposure doing damage, i'll start using it every day from now on. (It's winter in Australia atm)

firewaterword - I havn't used any interior cleaner on my car. I've had it for a year now and have only dusted and wiped with a damp cloth. Perhaps ignorant, but I assumed interior care was mainly for leather interior. Never considered that plastics and cloth need maintenance. I'm getting my car serviced this week, so i'll pick the brains of whoever works on my car for some info regarding the interior.

chrishallett83

1st question: Do you smoke? - No
    2nd question: Do you smoke inside the car? - No
    3rd question: Do you park in the sun? - BINGO!

Yep I park in the sun every day. Can't avoid it. My home doesn't have a garage, and I go to the park-and-ride everyday to get the bus in to work. I park under trees when practical. But pretty much 24/7 the car is exposed to the sun (or at least UV in winter months).
    My car is dark grey. And it gets freaking nasty in the summer.

Regarding the interior shampoo, is that something I should use just for maintenance? I mean, does it do damage to use it too often (i wash my car once a month)? How often will you use this gear for your car?

baudattitude - 33% of the world can't be wrong! :D

I'll do some more research online, but overall thanks for the links. Although perhaps common sense, i feel a little clueless when it comes for taking care of my car.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i live in australia too and our winter sun can be just as intense as the summer sun, just with a lower ambient air temperature.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Glass used in cars is treated to block UV radiation. For example transition lenses will not work while in a car for that reason. That said I have no clue what else could be doing it.

• Options
    the glass is treated to inhibit UV radiation, not block it entirely.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i live in australia too and our winter sun can be just as intense as the summer sun, just with a lower ambient air temperature.

On an overcast day such as today, I was probably the only knob in the car park with a sun shield on their window. But if it helps protect the interior, i'll keep doing it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the responses everyone.

Alegis / Dhalphir -Thanks for the tips/links. I use a heat shield during the summer, but if it is UV exposure doing damage, i'll start using it every day from now on. (It's winter in Australia atm)

firewaterword - I havn't used any interior cleaner on my car. I've had it for a year now and have only dusted and wiped with a damp cloth. Perhaps ignorant, but I assumed interior care was mainly for leather interior. Never considered that plastics and cloth need maintenance. I'm getting my car serviced this week, so i'll pick the brains of whoever works on my car for some info regarding the interior.

chrishallett83

1st question: Do you smoke? - No
    2nd question: Do you smoke inside the car? - No
    3rd question: Do you park in the sun? - BINGO!

Yep I park in the sun every day. Can't avoid it. My home doesn't have a garage, and I go to the park-and-ride everyday to get the bus in to work. I park under trees when practical. But pretty much 24/7 the car is exposed to the sun (or at least UV in winter months).
    My car is dark grey. And it gets freaking nasty in the summer.

Regarding the interior shampoo, is that something I should use just for maintenance? I mean, does it do damage to use it too often (i wash my car once a month)? How often will you use this gear for your car?

baudattitude - 33% of the world can't be wrong! :D

I'll do some more research online, but overall thanks for the links. Although perhaps common sense, i feel a little clueless when it comes for taking care of my car.

Your best bet is to invest in one of those car covers for at your house, and perhaps see if you can walk to a closer bus station? Or if there is another park 'n' ride that has a multilevel carpark, and you park on a lower level.

Shampoo and treat the interior as often as you like. There's really no point to doing it more than you wash your car though, assuming you wash your car at least monthly. It won't magically fix what's already happened, but it will slow further damage in future. There may be interior restoration people near you that can try to fix some of the discolouration, have a Google and see what you turn up.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

On an overcast day such as today, I was probably the only knob in the car park with a sun shield on their window. But if it helps protect the interior, i'll keep doing it.

Wait, you're 'Strayan?

We're taking over the world, baby!

Lesson #1 - do not buy a dark coloured car in Australia unless you can always park it in the shade.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Alternatively: Come to terms with a yellowing car. It's a Mazda 3 and not a BMW. My 3 is basically a beater car at this point.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Alternatively: Come to terms with a yellowing car. It's a Mazda 3 and not a BMW. My 3 is basically a beater car at this point.

I was kinda thinking this on reading the OPs post, i mean, it's 6-7 years old as well, Probably not worth the trouble trying to prevent it.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I was kinda thinking this on reading the OPs post, i mean, it's 6-7 years old as well, Probably not worth the trouble trying to prevent it.

I can understand that POV. However, i've only had this car for 6 months, and it's become considerable worse since purchasing it. Meaning, it's my fault that it's deteriorating.
    Plus, I personally don't consider one of these a 'beater' car. I'd consider a Commodore to be more of a beater car, considering they hardly hold their value. :)
    But overall, mine is in pretty damn good condition mechanically. I decide to sell it, It would be a shame if people don't want to buy it because it looks like arse on the inside.

Again thanks for the suggestions everyone. Really appreciate it. I'll definitely be busy this weekend!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hmm, I hadn't realized it was doing all the yellowing in just six months. That seems really strange, unless you're parking in the most mind bogglingly direct sunlight ever.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Hmm, I hadn't realized it was doing all the yellowing in just six months. That seems really strange, unless you're parking in the most mind bogglingly direct sunlight ever.

'Straya. We make Death Valley look like Antarctica.