As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Final Fantasy 11! Wings of the Goddess annoncenced!

• Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Not TP burn parties no, but Thief is still used in everything endgame.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    For treasure hunter, yeah. I mean, I'm not saying that the job sucks. I think it's pretty awesome, personally. But it is difficult to find invites for during the leveling process.

Murphy on
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    For treasure hunter, yeah. I mean, I'm not saying that the job sucks. I think it's pretty awesome, personally. But it is difficult to find invites for during the leveling process.

No, for making HNM's go "oh shit" when everyone in the Alliance lands every hit.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Does that have anything to do with how difficult it is to get a THF to 75, or are you going to keep trying to convince me of how great THF is, which is something I'm not disagreeing with, even if I'm disagreeing as to why?

Murphy on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think of thief as one of those jobs where there's a majority of unintelligent players that make the job look bad; you know, the ones that don't prep SATA, are slow setting it up, and never swap gear. Getting a good thief that knows what he's doing is total <3, especially for a ninja.
    Seriously, as a ninja tank, try and hold hate against a dragoon vs piercing weak mobs without a thief. I dare you. Screw you, Penta Thrust.

I'm getting kind of antsy waiting for new info on Wings of the Goddess; it comes out in a month, where are our updates!?

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    They do seem to really be holding back with the info. I guess we'll get a big rush of it come Fan Fest.

So, yesterday my 90 days was finally up, and I was able to switch to Kujata to team up with the DiV Linkshell (Dreams in Vanadiel). It's a cool group of people from the Dreams in Vanadiel forums who who transferred to Kujata to start an LS of friends. It's a social shell (meaning folks do have separate Dynamis/HNM/Other endgame shells), but there are people active across all levels. If anyone is looking for a home, and doesn't mind a new server, we're always looking for new members.

Murphy on
  • Options
    Regulat0rRegulat0r Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Is there anyone on the Caithsith server that like to group with a 18 thf? There is nobody LFG from 16-20 at all and the japanese don't want to group with me.

This bites.

Regulat0r on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Nearly five years now?...To this day I'm still trying to figure out what it is about this game that haunts me so much. I've quit many other mmo's cold turkey, and could care less about returning to any of them. But years later I still miss ffxi.

WotG and the dancer class has me wanting to check things out again, but damn I never could finish any of the quested content before....

- couldn't find time/group to finish AA's
    - couldn't get past ouryu for CoP missions before leaving
    - left before last spring's additions to toau missions
    - never have set foot in limbus or anything past dynamis
    - only finished a handful of toau merc missions (and felt undergeared for those)

I'm convinced this game is pure evil...wonder if I can still get my characters back.

Anyone need a mediocre/poorly equipped 75 thf and 72 nin (with most everything else 40-60)?

sim on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    We'd be happy to welcome you on Kujata, Sim. There are a number of us still working through both COP and TOAU missions, and we're trying to get folks together for things like Assault/Salvage/etc.

Chances are you can get your characters back. And if you don't mind transferring, you have a guaranteed LS invite.^^

Murphy on
  • Options
    simsim Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It might be nice to try a different server.

If you used to play on PC can you move your account to 360?

sim on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    You can play on any platform, so long as you have the software installed (so you can play your PS2 account on a 360 or PC, or vice versa or whatever).

You would have to purchase a copy for the 360, but you wouldn't have to use the registration codes contained within if you preferred to use your PC account.

Murphy on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Speaking of fanfest, is anybody here going?

Xhero on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    seabass wrote: »
    I was gonna say. I'm probably about as far as one can get from "hardcore" and I haven't seen any leveling slumps yet...

Eating my words now... so delicious.

You'd think some group in Qufim would need a white mage, christ. We'll see how it plays this weekend.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I was gonna say. I'm probably about as far as one can get from "hardcore" and I haven't seen any leveling slumps yet...

You'd think some group in Qufim would need a white mage, christ. We'll see how it plays this weekend.

There's a funny soloing trick in Qufim. Follow around a Beastmaster Gigas and kill their leech familiars.

BST familiars are usually much weaker than normal mobs, yet their level doesn't correspond to this weakness; the end result is a steady flow of EXP.

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Xhero wrote: »

There's a funny soloing trick in Qufim. Follow around a Beastmaster Gigas and kill their leech familiars.

BST familiars are usually much weaker than normal mobs, yet their level doesn't correspond to this weakness; the end result is a steady flow of EXP.

That's probably not going to work out well for a WHM with no one to babysit them in case of an emergency.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    That's why you go back to Valkurm with a hammer and beat mobs to death. Or, that's what I do.

My DRK is nearly 30, and hasn't had a single party. There have been a few scattered invites, but always at the wrong time, or from the wrong people. I've managed much better solo. Then again, a melee is going to have an easier time solo than a WHM or a BRD, for instance.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Tell me more of the ways my whm might solo his way up to 25 or higher by beating the ever living hell out of things with a fuck-off big hammer. Or, just, in general, whats a good zone progression for soloing easy preys? At the level I'm at (23) I don't know if I should hit a zone with a crag in it or ride all the way back to muhara/selbina and tool around their borders for a while.

seabass on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This might be a stupid question; but you have your sub leveled to at least half your main right?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2007
    and more so... I've been bouncing back and forth between white sub black and black sub white, trying to keep them close enough to share gear, at least for a while longer.

I strolled out into the Meriphataud mountains and beat on some lizards and flies eariler. Worked out pretty well, actually. Then about an hour into that I finally got an invite to a party in Qufim.

Honestly I'm not sure what my problem finding an invite is. I'm not underspelled, I'm rank 3, my subjob is fully leveled. I'm a *might* under-geared, but my +mind is still pretty high, so I can't imagine thats the problem. *shrug* At any rate, it sorted itself out for today, so thats good. Gonna go grab my first taste of the Yhutunga Jungles as soon as the airship touches down. Should be fun.

seabass on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Gonna go grab my first taste of the Yhutunga Jungles as soon as the airship touches down. Should be fun.

it tastes like the cold steel of a smithy's sword

Xhero on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I still remember the time I was on this team in the jungle, and it was freaking camp city. We went as far in as we really could and there were still tons of folks around, and pretty soon they were taking shit from right under our noses. So, we waited until a group nearby (and by nearby I mean like 20 feet away) was having a rough time with a goblin, and we pulled over a mostly dead goblin and slapped it until it bombed. The other team wiped and we had the area to ourselves for a good while.

They weren't pleased with us.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Thankfully you can't do that anymore. Mob AOE only affects people in the party that has claimed it. The jungles aren't too crowded anymore, though, so it's not as big a deal. I was there the other day soloing on my WAR right by the Kazham gate, and had all the mobs to myself.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    seabass wrote:
    Honestly I'm not sure what my problem finding an invite is. I'm not underspelled, I'm rank 3, my subjob is fully leveled. I'm a *might* under-geared, but my +mind is still pretty high, so I can't imagine thats the problem. *shrug* At any rate, it sorted itself out for today, so thats good. Gonna go grab my first taste of the Yhutunga Jungles as soon as the airship touches down. Should be fun.

Your problem isn't your gear or rank, it's your level. There are less and less people nowadays with jobs in the 20s since most of the vets are done with Qufim completely either because they are too high level, or have a friend power level them. It'll get better as you get higher.

And I have fond memories of going to Yuhtunga and Yhoator as my "high level" 50 RDM back in the day to clear trains so the lowbies could XP; I hate smithies. So much.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Guys, I've been asking myself a question.

why is it that whenever I go to FFXi encyclopedia they say that "X" mob is soloable by a 75 RDM/NIN

Now, I understand that /NIN would be helpful because blah blah blah, making your RDM even better when combined with the wide range of spells it can offer.

BUT, dosen't the BLU beat the bloody hell out of anything by itself.

I've seen BLUs chain mobs. My RDM can't come close to that. Granted, I'm RDM/WHm and not /NIN, but wouldn't the BLU using /NIN have the same advantages.

Basically, what I'm asking is what type of job would be the best for Soloing.

Not EXP-wise, but fighting-wise.

Fighting tough NMs or something. You know what I mean, which one is the strongest?

I would have assumed BLU/NIN, am I right? Wouldn't the BLU/NIN be a God among men? Why does it say Soloable by RDM/NIN?

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Evil_Pig wrote: »
    Guys, I've been asking myself a question.

why is it that whenever I go to FFXi encyclopedia they say that "X" mob is soloable by a 75 RDM/NIN

Now, I understand that /NIN would be helpful because blah blah blah, making your RDM even better when combined with the wide range of spells it can offer.

BUT, dosen't the BLU beat the bloody hell out of anything by itself.

I've seen BLUs chain mobs. My RDM can't come close to that. Granted, I'm RDM/WHm and not /NIN, but wouldn't the BLU using /NIN have the same advantages.

Basically, what I'm asking is what type of job would be the best for Soloing.

Not EXP-wise, but fighting-wise.

Fighting tough NMs or something. You know what I mean, which one is the strongest?

I would have assumed BLU/NIN, am I right? Wouldn't the BLU/NIN be a God among men? Why does it say Soloable by RDM/NIN?

When they say that it's soloable by a RDM75 anything it usually means Avesta did it and that you haven't a snowball's chance in Ifrit's Cauldron.

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    They say "solo by xx/xx job" for two reasons, mostly.

1. FFXI Wiki copy-pasted a lot of info directly from http://ffxi.somepage.com, including the bits about what jobs can solo what NMs. A lot of that info is outdated; new gear, merits and strategies means that a lot of jobs can solo the notorious monster, and ffxi.somepage isn't always entirely accurate to boot.

2. RDM/NIN is king because of endurance. Yes, BLU is a more powerful fighter and they can hold their own in solo, too. So can other jobs (NIN, THF, SMN, BLM, etc.). It's just that RDM has the most staying power because of Refresh and Convert.

And if you're looking for a job that can solo well, go with BST, BLM or RDM. Anything that can be slept can be beaten by a RDM or BLM solo. Anything that can't be slept can usually be kited and killed with DoT spells; it takes forever, but it's possible. BST is ridiculous because you can throw mobs at a monster and not be part of the fight directly.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Ok, I figured as much for the RDM.

I'm kind of scared using Convert in battle, but with the ennemies' sleeping, I guess it's not a big deal.

I was sure the BLU would have the advantage over the RDM.
    I assume here that when you said BLM, you actually meant BLU.

As for Solo, I was looking more for a big fight with an NM, rather than EXp, like I said, so I guess that's where the RDm would be better off than the BLU.

So would RDM/NIN be better than RDM/BLU?
    and does sleep fall into the Enfeeble category?

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    RDM/NIN would be better than RDM/BLU in certain situations. Really, it depends on the mob. I know that Avesta managed to solo Charybdis as /BLU, but that's hardly an indicator of anything most regular players are capable of or have the patience for.

Sleep is an enfeeble. But the sleep that RDM (and BLM) cast is darkness based, and many mobs are dark based, so that's why it can sometimes prove troublesome.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I'm kind of scared using Convert in battle, but with the ennemies' sleeping, I guess it's not a big deal.

As for Solo, I was looking more for a big fight with an NM, rather than EXp, like I said, so I guess that's where the RDm would be better off than the BLU.

No, I meant black mage, not blue mage. Black mage solo goes as follows:

1. Sleep mob

2. Nuke mob

3. Repeat steps 1-2 until mob dies

For NM fights, what do you mean by "big"? Different NMs require different strategies, some jobs are just inherently better at fighting some solo than others. I'm not saying that BLU can't solo, because that's far from the truth. Just depends on what you want to fight exactly.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So apparently it is damn near impossible to recover a lost Playonline ID or password. How the hell am I supposed to get my Playonline ID back if every method of customer support requires a Playonline ID?

Javen on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I thought that customer service could help you if you knew the original details of the account (CC number, address, etc.). But don't quote me on that. If I knew anything about getting an old POL ID back, I wouldn't have had to start over last year.

Murphy on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah I couldn't get anywhere. I all up customer support, get a lovely rep named jill, give my CC#, billing information, even my original PlayOnline 20 digit activation key, and after 40 minutes of holding I hung up. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Javen on
  • Options
    DuoRCNDuoRCN Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Just leave the playonline ID field blank.(If you're going the online way) I only had my CC info, and my registration code, and i've gotten my playonline info easily. Be warned, online, it takes an hour or two just to get to a rep.

DuoRCN on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

No, I meant black mage, not blue mage. Black mage solo goes as follows:

1. Sleep mob

2. Nuke mob

3. Repeat steps 1-2 until mob dies

For NM fights, what do you mean by "big"? Different NMs require different strategies, some jobs are just inherently better at fighting some solo than others. I'm not saying that BLU can't solo, because that's far from the truth. Just depends on what you want to fight exactly.

ok. I figured that was maybe what you meant afterwards.
    Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure I'll go RDM/NIN. Though BLU seems to also be able to solo pretty good, I like the fact that I can be a healer in a party with my RDM if I sub WHM.

I had another question, if you guys not too annoyed at answering them.

I was wondering if in general, equipment is cheaper in Aght Urghan or in Jeuno. I remember when I got to Jeuno, everything was cheaper than in starting nations.

But now, I want to equip myself with lvl 55-65 stuff, should I shop in Jeuno or in Aght Urghan?

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Aht Urghan and Jeuno share the same AH (so does the Tavnazian Safehold if you have access to that AH). So the prices are going to be the same. I think the tax rate may be different, but I don't know for certain.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    Aht Urghan and Jeuno share the same AH (so does the Tavnazian Safehold if you have access to that AH). So the prices are going to be the same. I think the tax rate may be different, but I don't know for certain.

Same AH?

Great news!

Thank you.

Tavzawha? CoP area I believe. I'll get there... some day.

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The AH tax in Whitegate is higher than the Jeuno AH, I try not to sell stacks of anything there (especially crystals) because the tax cuts into the profit.

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Level 33 DRK today. Still no parties. I got an invite earlier today, but they broke before I even got to camp.

Murphy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    hmmm, that's weird Murphy.

Maybe it's bexcause you're Dark, but I know people in my Ld who are low level and they still get invited for parties.

oh, and BTW, you were all very very right.

I don't have time to Melee in the party with my RDM...

But the thing is... our WHM does.

That's right. I have to sit down and recover some MP because all I keep doing is Refresh because she dosen't sit down during the fight. With our PLD, when we reach the ending levels fo a zone, he can pretty much main heal himself with Refresh, as long as I keep an eye out from time to time... Again, "I" keep an eye out, because the WHM only heals once she sees his HP in the Orange and I just can't stand Yellow.

Anyways...I'm just ranting. When that WHM also switches to RDM, she will be Meleeing/enfeebling/Nuking and Refreshing members of the PT who aren't me (Main healer) and the PLD.

So basically she Refreshes herself and the BLU. she better be happy, that, my friend, is an EASY job. swigning away blindly at a mob while only having to worry about Refresh every 2 minutes on one other member while keeping enfeebles up. I wanted to take care of an enfeeble or two, for skillup reasons, so I chose paralyze and slow, the cheapest ones that are still effective. She better keep those enfeebles up at all times... Nuking again and again and again.

I'm not letting her Refresh the PLD because I know she won't keep it up 100% of the time.

/sigh

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Kujata just seems to have a smaller population than Bahamut did (1600 or so on when I /sea all vs. 4500+). But also, I've been on during odd hours. I'm not too worried about it. Only a few more levels and I can quit this job forever. ><;

Murphy on
This discussion has been closed.