As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Broken washing machine

RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
So after getting up to do a load of laundry, I observed my brother's completed but neglected load.

Not wanting him to tour the streets of Seattle smelling like mildew, I started his load from zero with a tiny bit of soap. Leaving to retrieve a bit of breakfast, I passed by and noticed the machine was silent. I checked to see if I had remembered to close the lid and observed I had.

The machine is broken. Flipping its fuse at the circuit breaker did not fix it. Unplugging it does not fix it.

I shall call sears but what should I do in the mean time?

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Top loader? Front loader?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    If it's under warranty, do not tinker with it. If you accidentally break one of the 'this seal voids your warranty when broken' seals, you get be out of luck on getting a replacement / refund.

Leave the machine alone until you've contacted the retailer.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Top loading, I doubt there is a warranty after 8 years

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    does it start to cycle at all?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Make/model would be useful.

Does it do anything at all? Does it appear to power up? Does it fill/drain?

Most common fault with washing machines is motor brushes. They're a consumable part (usually a carbon brush in a spring loaded holder) which eventually wear out. If that's what it is then machines will usually fill and run through the programme until the point it needs to start rotating the drum, at which point it stops because it can't supply power to the motor.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Is it full of water?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Top loading, I doubt there is a warranty after 8 years.

It filled with water and never continued the cycle.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Top loading, I doubt there is a warranty after 8 years.

It filled with water and never continued the cycle.
    japan wrote: »
    Make/model would be useful.

Does it do anything at all? Does it appear to power up? Does it fill/drain?

Most common fault with washing machines is motor brushes. They're a consumable part (usually a carbon brush in a spring loaded holder) which eventually wear out. If that's what it is then machines will usually fill and run through the programme until the point it needs to start rotating the drum, at which point it stops because it can't supply power to the motor.

Something's wrong with your motor or drive gearbox, mate. (relatively inexpensive)
    Or with the motor control board... (in many cases, cheaper to just buy a new washer)

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    It could also be clogged. Are you certain that it never did the wash cycle? It may have filled, washed, then been unable to drain.

There should be a drain hose where you can manually empty it, and then a filter you can clear to see if it will start again.

• Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    If it is not making any noise or doing anything it's a lid switch. Jump past it if there are no kids in the house.
    Alternately, look on craigslist for an appliance repair guy. I'm on craigslist formerly worked for Sears and my service call is $25.
    Sears is $85 and the markup on the parts is usually 20 - 30 more than retail.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    Yeah, already called Sears and family will forward money for their home. Still, its 8 years old so I shouldn't be surprised if its nothing besides the motor.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    if its stuck with water its likely clogged by a sock or something.

easiest thing to do is to check the pump since its likely clogged. if it cant drain it will stop mid cycle no matter what you do.

its super easy to check to. hardest part is getting to your pump. mine was just a couple clips

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    If it is not making any noise or doing anything it's a lid switch. Jump past it if there are no kids in the house.

Oh my goodness, this. This is absolutely something to look at. It'll be a little switch that the lid depresses when it's closed - you can do it with a stick or a pen or your finger even, and if the switch doesn't engage it'll do exactly what you describe. Fill with water but never run the load.

A piece of cardboard will fix it for you, if this is the problem.

spool32 on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    This is why the make and model would be useful.

Any washing machine I've owned won't even fill if the door switch doesn't indicate that it's closed.

• Options
    Kennmore something. I'm on campus so I'm not readily available to check it.