As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Thread: Your Mom's a Horse!

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited January 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is a thread for Western animation. Recommended titles include:

Adventure_Time_-_Title_card.png

Adventure Time (created by Pendleton Ward). Cartoon Network's biggest hit since 2010. The series follows the adventures of Finn the Human and Jake the Dog in the land of Ooo (which is actually Earth post-nuclear apocalypse). Though it initially hooked older viewers with its bizarre sense of humor, over the years Adventure Time has developed a surprisingly deep world with many interesting, three-dimensional characters, such as the Ice King, Princess Bubblegum, and Marceline the Vampire Queen. Season 5 upped the ante quite a bit

Steven Universe (created by "Adventure Time" alumn Rebecca Sugar). This Cartoon Network series is centered on Steven, the youngest and only male member of the heroic Crystal Gems, a group otherwise composed of heroines Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl. The first Cartoon Network original series created by a woman.

3005488-teen-titans_510x317.jpg

Teen Titans Go! A hyper-kinetic comedy loosely based on the 2003-2006 Teen Titans series. Gets a lot of hate for being radically different from its predecessor and for staying on the air in place of Young Justice, but is actually really funny (and apparently the voice actors really love the sillier takes on their characters).

500full.jpg

Regular Show (created by J. G. Quintel). Another Cartoon Network program that began in 2010. Regular Show is focused on the characters Mordecai and Rigby (the former voiced by creator J. G. Quintel), two twenty-something slackers who work at a park plagued by bizarre phenomena alongside a gumball machine, a green dude, a high-five giving ghost, a lollipop, a skipping gorilla (voiced by Mark Hamill), and a put-upon goat man. Initially part of a short-lived effort to cater to older viewers (for example, several of the first season episodes use the word "pissed", which was later replaced with "ticked" in repeats and DVD releases).

Main_characters_of_Gravity_Falls.png

Gravity Falls (created by Alex Hirsch). This Disney Channel series is premised on the exploits of twins Dipper and Mable Pines during their summer with their great-uncle ("Grunkle") Stan in the town of Gravity Falls, Oregon. A popular series, albeit one that Disney is taking its time to air.

500px-Bravest_Warriors_official_designs.png

Bravest Warriors (also created by Pendleton Ward). Shorts following the adventures of the teenaged group of space-traveling heroes, the titular Bravest Warriors. Youtube Channel Here

Bee01.jpg

Bee and Puppycat (created by "Adventure Time" alumn Natasha Allegri). The original Bee and Puppycat short introduces the titular characters (who are, respectively, an unemployed young woman looking for work and a Puppycat) before sending them to parts unknown through a magical temp agency. The short proved very popular, and a subsequent Kickstarter campaign funded the creation of an upcoming series. Bee and Puppycat Short Here

Scooby-Doo-Mystery-Incorporated.jpg

Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated. A now-cancelled (yet not without a satisfactory conclusion) Cartoon Network program and most likely the only entry in the Scooby Doo franchise worth watching. The series takes the classic Scooby Doo characters and gives them an ongoing storyline that, along the way, takes several unexpectedly dark turns.

Hexmage-PA on

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Please don't call it that.

Edit: There you go!

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2KnFDfHm4o

"YOU AND ME MORTY THE OUTSIDE WORLD IS OUR ENEMY MORTY JUST RICK AND MORTY RICK AND MORTY FOREVER FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS ADVENTURES RICK AND MORTY TIME ALL DAY LONG A HUNDRED DAYS FOREVER A HUNDRED TIMES OVER AND OVER RICK AND MORTY"

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    what did he call it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    am i the only one disappointed that Rick and Morty isn't callled 'High Concept Si-Fi Rigmarole' instead? because that would be an awesome name.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hM7iAkjk8

occasionally I forget how funny King of the Hill is.

On those stupid days where I forgot to watch it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Watched the new Ninja Turtles with the kids today.

Was good. Much better than I expected.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

"YOU AND ME MORTY THE OUTSIDE WORLD IS OUR ENEMY MORTY JUST RICK AND MORTY RICK AND MORTY FOREVER FOREVER A HUNDRED YEARS ADVENTURES RICK AND MORTY TIME ALL DAY LONG A HUNDRED DAYS FOREVER A HUNDRED TIMES OVER AND OVER RICK AND MORTY"

Never seen this show before, but the art style reminds me of "Home Movies"

Edit: Also this

what did he call it.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013

Everyone else see like how they're a fucked up version of Doc and Marty? That's intentional, right? I mean, it's gotta be.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Plowing through Teen Titans now. I think I'm up to episode 48 or 49.

So far I'm thinking the best moment is when the team all dressed up as Robin.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Aww, I was hoping to make the new thread but was waiting on Mod instruction! :(

I'm gonna post my OP anyway, in case anyone here finds it useful. Spoiler'd for length:
    Animation is rapidly displaying sequential images to produce the illusion of movement.

Animexample3edit.png -> Animexample.gif
    My mind is blown!

Forms of Animation

Traditional

Your basic "draw lots of pictures and get them flickering" method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBgghnQF6E4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3JGv_tRSw

Stop Motion Animation (Claymation)

Instead of drawings, pictures are taken of live props that are slowly adjusted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7vZXjmtWFA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jvOTsi3i64

Computer Generated Images (GCI)

Actually similar to Claymation, in that you have models and you change their appearance from frame to frame.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmhZm5FRV4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPW3mvAN0Rc

"Flash" Animation

Another sort revolving around the computer, but mainly for two-dimensional appearances. Co-incidentally, can one-for-one replicate the traditional method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZiB_S9VpiU

Mechanical Animation - Animatronics, Puppetry etc.

This one is debatable, as you are just filming props moving in real time, but it has a long history of being produced alongside the other forms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMEuEF9-UbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZqAsj3buuU

And of course, it's possible to blend these different methods together!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Z8SXjEu7fg

Now, just about every country in the world has produced animation at one point or another, even Best Korea! However due to reasons, this thread shall be mainly for animation originating from Europe and the Americas, and definitely not southeast of Vladivostok, west of Midway or north of Manilla.

The Players

Disney

Disney-positions-itself-as-the-new-tentpole-power-house.jpg

Going strong for 85 years with an aggressively wholesome image. Famous for its fairy tale stories and other theatrical movies, as well as their long lasting characters.

Works of Note: Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Silly Symphonies, Snow White, Pinnochio, Sleeping Beauty, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls and about a hundred other things

Pixar

Pixar_animation_studios_logo.jpg

Disney's most famous Subsidiary right now. Single handedly popularised CG Movies for better or worse. Known to be super influential: My own observation is that 80-90% of new stuff at Disney World is Pixar themed.

Works of Note: Luxo Jr, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, WALL-E, Up

Warner Brothers

warner-bros-1.jpg

Disney's first real rival. While Disney was wholesome, Warner Brothers was more slapstick and adult themed. Hasn't made nearly as many theatrical films. Has a lot of fingers in the superhero pie right now

Works of Note: Looney Tunes, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, Speedy Gonsalez, DC Animated Universe (Batman, Superman, Justice League), Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, The Iron Giant

Dreamworks

dreamworks_logo.jpg

The other big theatrical company right now. Was in something of a rut of questionable use of star power to draw in crowds, but has recently improved. Famous for giving marketers "this face":
    tumblr_l5bn88xLn21qz5euzo1_500.gif

But don't be confused, almost every animated movie poster has "this face" these days.

Works of Note: Shrek, Prince of Egypt, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon

Cartoon Network

682px-Original_Cartoon_Network_logo.svg_.png

Heir to the Hanna-Barbera throne. First channel really dedicated to cartoons, so it was inevitable they'd make their own.

Works of Note: Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Ed Edd & Eddy, Samurai Jack, Johnny Bravo, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Megas XLR, Adventure Time, Regular Show

Adult Swim

tumblr_luqvenLwRh1r6o4avo1_500.jpg

Cartoon Network's teen/adult spinoff. Started by subverting some of the less remembered Hanna-Barbera shows, and then started producing material of their own

Works of Note: Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Harvey Birdman, Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Venture Brothers, Metalocalypse, Moral Orel

Nickelodeon

Nickelodeon_schweiz_logo.png

A major contributor to 90's animated nostalgia. More about sitcoms these days, but it has a remarkably well budgeted show in Avatar.

Works of Note: Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Ahh Real Monsters, Ren & Stimpy, Kablam!, Invader Zim, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Avatar: The Legend of Korra

Aardman

Aardman_logo.svg#.jpg

Upstart little British Claymation studio. Compared to other studios haven't produced much, but are fondly remembered.

Works of Note: Wallace & Gromit, Creature Comforts, Chicken Run, Rex the Runt

Twentieth Century Fox

20th_century_fox_logo-thumb-550x249-17964.jpg

Has its own thread, so you can read up on them there.

Now this OP only scratches the surface of stuff to look at. If you're looking for more information on what to watch, especially on less famous stuff, I recommend http://comraderecs.tumblr.com. Yes, it has its roots in 4chan - but no actual links to 4chan, so don't worry - but the recommendations are pretty solid from my perspective. Enjoy!

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45hM7iAkjk8

occasionally I forget how funny King of the Hill is.

On those stupid days where I forgot to watch it.

You're talking like a song from The Lion King. Stop it. It makes no sense.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Aww, I was hoping to make the new thread but was waiting on Mod instruction! :(

I'm gonna post my OP anyway, in case anyone here finds it useful. Spoiler'd for length:

Yeah, that would've been an incredible OP. Too bad you blew it and missed your window. Instead we're going with Here's Johnny Anime Eye horror instead. Better luck next time in another 100 pages.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Oh Jesus Christ no, I looked and found the pilot for Rick and Morty and YouTube. It's called Doc and Mharti and don't go looking for it. Don't watch it. I'm not posting the link I probably can't. It's powerfully NSFW. Don't watch it. I can't believe it even got made into a series if that was the pilot.

Remember, Doc and Mharti on YouTube. Don't watch it. Here's one that came after it that's less horrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPuq2TbjlO8

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Oh Jesus Christ no, I looked and found the pilot for Rick and Morty and YouTube. It's called Doc and Mharti and don't go looking for it. Don't watch it. I'm not posting the link I probably can't. It's powerfully NSFW. Don't watch it. I can't believe it even got made into a series if that was the pilot.

Remember, Doc and Mharti on YouTube. Don't watch it.

Me and my cousin are gonna watch Doc and Mharti now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, that was an awesome season finale of Gravity Falls. Cannot wait for it to come back.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Gravity Falls
    Did anyone else think the thing at the end was kind of shaped like it had Mickey Mouse ears?

Also because I need Adventure Time merchandise, these two are going to join my blood splattered Rick Grimes and Daryl Grimes Pop! figures.
    61xDI2CM1pL._SL1100_.jpg
    61lc3L0GMYL._SL1050_.jpg

Invisible on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The whole Gideonland thing was making fun of Disney World.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Did anyone watch The Awsomes?

It was surprisingly ok. The heroes arent incompetent just zany and. it was funny .

Not bad. Hulu isn't dumping the whole season at once though and you will know Jak links beef jerky is a sponsor whether you like it or not. So its not perfect

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Brad Neely is starting a new run of his old-style shorts in September.

http://youtu.be/OPQrXUpvkuc

It is good.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Nice setup for Gravity Falls season 2.

Also, this is incredibly good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwN5HLiZ7_o

The opening titles for Craig McCracken's new show.

edzepp on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Michael Ansara finally passed away :c

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options

Me and my cousin are gonna watch Doc and Mharti now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.
    If you're curious the only joke is that Mharti licks Doc's balls as the solution to every problem. And I don't mean off screen. He graphically licks his bloody balls. Except for the last one in which he also jerks Doc off while also licking his balls. Did I mention he does graphically as in you see everything no matter how much you wish you weren't?

• Options
    Invisible wrote: »

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.
    If you're curious the only joke is that Mharti licks Doc's balls as the solution to every problem. And I don't mean off screen. He graphically licks his bloody balls. Except for the last one in which he also jerks Doc off while also licking his balls. Did I mention he does graphically as in you see everything no matter how much you wish you weren't?

I'm having a giggle fit just thinking about it. South Park would do the exact same thing.

In other news, I just found out one of the (probably terrible) animated Scooby-Doo movies made in the past few years introduced Velma's sister, who based on design alone looks like she could out-Velma Velma (that makes sense, right?).

Darn, now I'm thinking about how Mystery Incorporated is over and we'll probably never see another legitimately good iteration of Scooby-Doo again.

• Options
    Bear in mind only the voices and basic idea of a fucked up Doc and Marty made it to the adult swim pilot well see.

• Options
    The trailer still looks like it may be good and the original was released 7 years ago so things change. But I reiterate: Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

• Options
    Have you seen Pen Ward and JG Quintels student stuff? Its right up there

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man, i was going through the old thread catching up. Saw Bee and Puppycat as well as the Saga of Rex. Amazing, I though I would ride good feels all day.

And then I clicked on the Fox ADHD video. Why did I do that?

And is Adult Swim actually getting its own cartoon show that's actually funny and has a budget higher than 50 bucks?

• Options
    It has a few already but yes theres a new one.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    Nice setup for Gravity Falls season 2.

Also, this is incredibly good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwN5HLiZ7_o

The opening titles for Craig McCracken's new show.

I have no idea what I just saw but by God I'm gonna watch it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSR6uSvNleztwJF8GoVgrPWSk6DnDYuE1QVaVBqBFTcU3Dgx2Cw

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ha, you must have really liked Bee and Puppycat.

• Options
    No comment.....

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Holy shit, that was an awesome season finale of Gravity Falls. Cannot wait for it to come back.

Absolutely. That show really is sweet, in a lot of ways.
    The trailer still looks like it may be good and the original was released 7 years ago so things change. But I reiterate: Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

Yar. Reverse psychology be a harsh mistress.
    Bear in mind only the voices and basic idea of a fucked up Doc and Marty made it to the adult swim pilot well see.

Yeah, this is definitely what I sense. And thank god, because that really is an awesome premise.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

After ignoring your advice, I hit up youtube and found... this?

Obviously not what you were talking about... but I sure would watch that shit.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Hrm, apparently the final art style used for Steven Universe is very different from the pilot:

1069982_161586017360470_379906170_n.png

I've got to say that I much, much prefer the previous art style:

stevenuniverse-580x871.jpg

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    ugh yeah, the previous style was much better. this new thing reminds me of teen titans go (which I haven't seen yet)

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    That new thing looks terrible.
    That Genndy style needs to die.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Typical Cartoon Network...take anything original and good and kill it until it turns into generic garbage....except annoying orange which is somehow still a thing

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    why does scary orange even exist