As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First Annual PAX Prime H.P. Pubcraft Lovecrawl in Ballard on Saturday Night

2»

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Not doing the Facebook thing, but I am intrigued about this. Is there an Elder Sign cocktail?

• Options
    ShubNiggurathShubNiggurath Arkham, MARegistered User regular
    Is this going to be 1920s Lovecraftian themed (as opposed to modern or the time period being completely irrelevant)?

High Priestess Ubb of the island of Yhe Abyss
    VillagerDB Wish List
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I am incredibly sad that this is too far away from the TWDT to pull a combo costume and crash a couple of your stops like I did a few years back with the Fear and Loathing guys.

I'd totally show up like Slytherin Cthulhu.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    haha, it's also on Saturday and not Thurday afaik ;)

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I am incredibly sad that this is too far away from the TWDT to pull a combo costume and crash a couple of your stops like I did a few years back with the Fear and Loathing guys.

I'd totally show up like Slytherin Cthulhu.

I'm totally gonna crash it when my own shop closes for the night; it's just a few blocks away.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    Not doing the Facebook thing, but I am intrigued about this. Is there an Elder Sign cocktail?

Yes, here's the recipe:

1. IA!
    2. IA!
    3. CTHULU F'TAGN!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    swordgoatzswordgoatz Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »

There will be a custom ichor for each pubcrawler.

Prime 2016 Status: 4-Day Badges
    Attendee: Prime '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15... East '10
  • Options
    Is this going to be 1920s Lovecraftian themed (as opposed to modern or the time period being completely irrelevant)?

It will be 1920's themed. Spoiler Alert: My favorite game is Arkham Horror.

• Options
    PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    swordgoatz wrote: »
    There will be a custom ichor for each pubcrawler.

So likely to be something using plenty of gomme and/or grenadine?

• Options
    Sorry to potential pubcrawlers, but we have to cap attendance so that we have a manageable number for the crawl. Guests who are already attending can still invite guests, but we can't have any net new crawlers.

This is the inaugural event, and we hope to see you next year!

• Options
    NymphodorahNymphodorah SeattleRegistered User regular
    swordgoatz wrote: »
    Sorry to potential pubcrawlers, but we have to cap attendance so that we have a manageable number for the crawl. Guests who are already attending can still invite guests, but we can't have any net new crawlers.

This is the inaugural event, and we hope to see you next year!

I was wondering why the Facebook linky wasn't working! Now I have a sad.

It’s a dangerous business, going out of your door. You step into the Road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to.
    Twitter: ACatlett206
    Battletag: Tonks#1448
    Steam/Xbox: Nymphodorah
    Tumblr: thenerdy-narwhal
  • Options
    I was wondering why the Facebook linky wasn't working! Now I have a sad.

I am sincerely sorry. We are excited about the response this year, and will apply what we learn on Saturday to next year's pubcrawl. Hope to see you next year! :)

• Options
    klsalasklsalas Registered User new member
    The best tap lists on Ballard Avenue are the Noble Fir and Ballard Urban Family Public House and Brewery. UFPH is spacious and has some board games. Noble Fir gets packed but is a great list (beers and ciders, tap and bottle) and has a small corner hiking/outdoors/travel book and map library.

If you want to hit local breweries, in addition to UFPH east of Ballard Bridge is Maritime (which has a great pirate theme with the whole floor a painted map with sea dragons etc.) It is a large tasting room. Then just in the shadow of the bridge on Leary is Peddler, a new small brewery with a bike friendly focus where Maritime used to be. At 17th turn north and hit Hilliard's (which has a large tasting room and outdoor area) and NW Peaks "Base Camp" which is very small space but they have some outdoor seating. There are 8 total breweries open in Ballard (I have excluded Populuxe, Reuben's and Hale's as a litte more out of the way from your crawl start) and two more are coming soon, Bad Jimmy's (near Hale's) and Stoup (near Reuben's and Populuxe) but these are looking like September openings for sure now.

In terms of historic Ballard spaces, Conor Byrne, mentioned by another poster, is an old historic pub space (used to be The Owl) and a great live music venue but does not have the best tap list. I would go there late if you want to catch some live music. Across the street Hattie's Hat is another very old Ballard Bar although the facade and interior have been changed over the years.

For live music venues in addition to Conor Byrne there is the Tractor and the Sunset.

For kitsch and fun I like King's Hardware (taxidermy, wood paneling, paintings of Mt. Rainier, skeeball, back deck) or perhaps Zayda Buddy which is a Minnesota/ Wisconsin bar.

For European style pubs there are Conor Byrne (Irish), MacLeod's (Scottish), People's Pub (German and specifically Swabian) and Market Arms (English). People's Pub back room has a decent tap list split between German and domestics.

If you guys want to do cocktails Ballard has several great cocktail bars. The back bar at Bastille might work for you and the cocktail list by Erik Carlson is great. He is also running the bar at Stoneburner across the street. Right next to Stoneburner is The Gerald which has a mid century vibe. They have a couple excellent bar tenders and drinks are always solid. Across the street brand new Percy's is run by two bartenders from Apotheke in NYC and has a similar drink concept (vaguely retro farm to bar apothecary) in a beautiful saloon space and back deck. There are some large common tables. The Sexton unfortunately is a small and strangely laid out space but the cocktails are great. At the top of Ballard Ave (actually around the corner on Market Street) Hazlewood is always popular but again it is small and crowded. If you can, try to get the upstairs space. And actually the new Skillet space next to the Ballard library has opened recently and their cocktail list looks killer.

Last but not least we have a few very solid whiskey bars. MacLeod's has a large scotch whiskey list. For bourbon focused bars (Ballard has a strong roots music scene and perhaps for that reason has developed a cluster of BBQ/Southern food/bourbon places) try Bitteroot (which has 12 taps of killer beer selections plus a very very large American whiskey list) although the back bar which is most fun in my opinion is small. Sexton has a nice whiskey list as well. Finally just off Ballard Ave on Shilshole Ave is Kickin Boot Whiskey Kitchen which is an old converted warehouse space with a beautiful bar and massive whiskey list.

• Options
    dieseldog49dieseldog49 Registered User regular
    I am in and bringing several huge Lovecraft fans with me woo hoo cant wait (I already RSVP'D on the FB page last week)