As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventure Time: 4 specials coming soon to HBO Max

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Morkath wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    did i miss the debread episode or did they just skip it

They appear to have skipped it. Kind of weird.

eh, i feel like they've skipped that kinda thing a few times

anyway I dug the finale

Yeah, it just seems strange that instead of seeing them getting turned back to normal we got a sweet pea episode that really had no bearing on anything / was nothing new aside from the final few seconds.

They probably figured it was better to delay the debreading episode in order to hit the season finale during the marathon. They did much the same thing when Steven Universe had a marathon week, IIRC.

Granted, the SU episodes that got skipped didn't have as much impact on the overall plot line as, say,
    the two protaganists being transformed into baked goods and being carried off by a tiny chimera

Question re: the finale
    Did I miss something? When did Finn grow a thorn in his palm?
    when his flower bloomed into a new arm it left behind a thorn

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    As far as the bread thing goes, like

They could have written an episode abut that, sure

But without its easy enough to just imagine that they get dropped off at wizard city, buy a potion or whatever, and go on their merry way

Adventure time rarely has strict adherence to continuity in that sort of way

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Where was the Finn Sword this whole episode?

And uh
    Si Finn was in a comet? And has been reincarnated through the years?

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    As far as the bread thing goes, like

They could have written an episode abut that, sure

But without its easy enough to just imagine that they get dropped off at wizard city, buy a potion or whatever, and go on their merry way

Adventure time rarely has strict adherence to continuity in that sort of way

Yeah, my only complaint is instead, we got a boring sweet pea episode where nothing happened. If they were going to have a throwaway episode, I would rather have seen bread Finn hijinks. Not a huge deal though.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

anyway I dug the finale

Yeah, it just seems strange that instead of seeing them getting turned back to normal we got a sweet pea episode that really had no bearing on anything / was nothing new aside from the final few seconds.

They probably figured it was better to delay the debreading episode in order to hit the season finale during the marathon. They did much the same thing when Steven Universe had a marathon week, IIRC.

Granted, the SU episodes that got skipped didn't have as much impact on the overall plot line as, say,
    the two protaganists being transformed into baked goods and being carried off by a tiny chimera

Question re: the finale
    Did I miss something? When did Finn grow a thorn in his palm?

To the first spoiler
    It was a tiny Manticore! You goose!

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So, I started watching about 2 years ago but I've only managed to catch random episodes until very recently. I'm pretty sure there are large chunks of the show I haven't seen. Is the whole series streaming anywhere? Because it would be really great to be able to watch everything in order.

After finally thinking to set to the TiVo, I've managed to catch about the most recent 8 episodes or so including the finale. I think I liked the finale, though I assume I might be able to appreciate the storyline better if I had seen the rest the season (and season 5, which I'm not sure I've seen much at all of). I actually really liked the bit in the finale
    when the comet went through its list, because I'm a sucker for montage-type stuff and I liked the existential vibe.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

anyway I dug the finale

Like that time they came home to the treehouse and a giant worm was there and hypnotized them both.

And then we just continue on like nothing happened until 3 or so seasons later.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kinda neat, but not very satisfying.
    No especially wild and crazy reveals, and nothing significantly different going forwards. Except maybe Finn's arm is gone again, or grass now.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I feel like if you're complaining about Adventure time ending abruptly and resolving things off screen you don't get Adventure time.

Like did you want an episode where Peppermint Butler tries to eat Finn's skin?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Alternatively, I just felt they could have used the airtime on a more interesting episode than they did.

But please, continue to tell people how to enjoy the show.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Aww
    So long, Martin.

I'm glad you got to have a nice honest moment with Finn before you were gone.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Alternatively, I just felt they could have used the airtime on a more interesting episode than they did.

But please, continue to tell people how to enjoy the show.

Take a rage dump dawg.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Personally, I feel like Adventure Time has gone downhill pretty hard in the past season and a half or so. This finale felt incredibly weak given all the buildup to it, as well.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    kaceyp wrote: »
    So, I started watching about 2 years ago but I've only managed to catch random episodes until very recently. I'm pretty sure there are large chunks of the show I haven't seen. Is the whole series streaming anywhere? Because it would be really great to be able to watch everything in order.

After finally thinking to set to the TiVo, I've managed to catch about the most recent 8 episodes or so including the finale. I think I liked the finale, though I assume I might be able to appreciate the storyline better if I had seen the rest the season (and season 5, which I'm not sure I've seen much at all of). I actually really liked the bit in the finale
    when the comet went through its list, because I'm a sucker for montage-type stuff and I liked the existential vibe.

the first 5 seasons are on hulu plus. (this was season 6 that just ended)

edit: and season 6 is buyable on amazon, although it's listed as seasons 7 & 8 because fuck consumers

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Yeah, my only complaint is instead, we got a boring sweet pea episode where nothing happened. If they were going to have a throwaway episode, I would rather have seen bread Finn hijinks. Not a huge deal though.

...how do you even define a "throwaway" episode of adventure time?

only like 15% of the show is "continuity" episodes (or double that if you care about the relationship arcs)

• Options
    edited June 2015
    For my part I loved the sweet pea episode because I Iove lsp

YOU ARE A GARBAGE ANIMAL, EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH TURNS GROSS

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    ed: ^^ I've loved all the Sweet Pea episodes
    Personally, I feel like Adventure Time has gone downhill pretty hard in the past season and a half or so. This finale felt incredibly weak given all the buildup to it, as well.

I know a lot of people who've given up on the show after last season's finale and this one. I don't blame them in retrospect; ultimately this show was only ever supposed to be about a kid and his dog, and since the original showrunner stepped down there have been good episodes sticking to that but for the most part it's been less and less about that and more about the meaning of life and other complex aspects the original audience won't comprehend at their ages and it's like "fuck, who wants this"

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    I've been lukewarm on this season but this week of episodes tied everything together in a way I really enjoyed
    The whole season has been about spotlighting people other than Finn and jake, and then it ends with the comet asking Finn to judge the value of all of the relationships he has with those people

If I have any complaints it's that the comet didn't end up doing much, I think it would've been exciting if it had ended up hitting Ooo and creating some sort of change

As far as status quo changes though, PB is still ousted from the candy kingdom. It probably won't stay that way too long but at least for now things are different

• Options
    I'm hoping next season's good, but sadly expecting it to not be and thus be my last. Hope the movie's good at least

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I personally like the philosophical weirdness.

As for the finale, I too thought it was anti-climactic. However, nearly every seemingly major event that Adventure Time has ever spent multiple episodes building-up has resulted in anti-climaxes IMO. Princess Bubblegum became younger at the end if a season finale only for her to go back to normal the next episode she was in. Finn losing his arm was foreshadowed for several seasons only for it to be magically restored in just a few episodes. Lady Rainicorn was shown pregnant for several episodes only for the puppies to become adults at the end of the episode they were born in.

There are also several characters that seem like people Finn would want to talk to but rarely does, like Susan Strong or BMO's creator. He barely even interacted with Billy.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Next season also includes a mini-series of some kind that is apparently focused around Marceline, looking forward to that.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »

Hulu has up to the end of season 5 I believe.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    While the finale was a little anticlimactic in terms of action, it was anything but in terms of changing up the status quo. PB is no longer ruler of the Candy Kingdom and King of Ooo has replaced her, Finn is confirmed to be manifestation of a catalyst comet, Martin went to another dimension, Finn has either no arm or a grass arm now, and you could argue that the comet being diverted is also important. A lack of anticipated change can be a big deal.

I feel like this season was a huge set up for the next. We still have to resolve the Simon and Marcy thread, the Simon and Betty thread, Sweet P is still the Lich, and I would imagine we'll have some big episodes about PB given her current status, especially with the Marcy/PB miniseries coming.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Finn's arm
    was fine when he came out of the spaceship, I think the grass was just a temporary thing from the thorn in his arm. Will probably pop back up occasionally.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Just Watched the finale nobody picked up on this?
    Martin is reborn as Jake. The Catalyst Comet is the creature that attacked Joshua and Margret that's obvious. Martin wants to be there for his son but not have the responsibilities of a Father so he became his brother.

This lines up with Jake's weird spirituality ,his past a a pretty crappy guy/thief and his regret at not being a better Dad despite being a fairly good dad for super growing children.

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Martin is reborn as Jake. The Catalyst Comet is the creature that attacked Joshua and Margret that's obvious. Martin wants to be there for his son but not have the responsibilities of a Father so he became his brother.

This lines up with Jake's weird spirituality ,his past a a pretty crappy guy/thief and his regret at not being a better Dad despite being a fairly good dad for super growing children.

The comet and that creature look nothing alike.

• Options
    kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    the first 5 seasons are on hulu plus. (this was season 6 that just ended)

edit: and season 6 is buyable on amazon, although it's listed as seasons 7 & 8 because fuck consumers
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Hulu has up to the end of season 5 I believe.

Awesome, thanks!

• Options
    Dys wrote: »

It has the same number of eyes and same color past that its uh kind of a shapeshifter so looking nothing alike is irrelevant

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    I find that to be a sound theory. Also, PB's dream in "Hoots" makes a lot more sense now, given the outcome of the election.

• Options
    Dys wrote: »

It has the same number of eyes and same color past that its uh kind of a shapeshifter so looking nothing alike is irrelevant

Yeah, no and no for your comparisons.

The Shapeshifter:
    S6e16_Monster.png

The Comet:
    Thecomet.PNG

Definitely not meant to obviously be the same thing.

I'm not ruling it out, but from what we've seen/know right now that really is a stretch.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    finally caught up on this week's episodes

I don't know how to feel about any of this

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    Finn doesn't even remotely resemble a butterfly or a comet, though. So, I wouldn't even call it that much of a stretch that Jake=Martin.

• Options
    The
    butterfly
    thing at least makes sense from the referenced episode where Ice King froze them and he meditated and summoned
    butterflies

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Finn doesn't even remotely resemble a butterfly or a comet, though. So, I wouldn't even call it that much of a stretch that Jake=Martin.
    finn's excuse is he reincarnates. we know he's been a butterfly, that green lady and finn at least.

martin's still alive, so... idk.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options

But that has background in things we've already been shown in the show.

Remember the episode "The Vault" where we learned about Shoko?
    Well there was a series of flashbacks for Finn's past lives there and guess what two of them were.

A comet and a butterfly.

Whereas Jake nor Martin have had any kind of similar cycle implied about them.

In regards to the shapeshifter, I don't doubt that we'll see it or something like it again though.

The way it opened up a portal and vanished off to whatever dimension that was seemed pretty ominous.

• Options
    I don't see any reason to throw that idea out but I also don't see much reason to believe that it at this poin

• Options
    Next season's likely not starting until fall. All their tumblr posts hyping the finale said it was the last one for a while, whereas for other seasons they specified that it'd be 6 or so weeks until the next one starts.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Lord knows they need a good break so they can come up with better material.
    They have been working continuously for what seems like season 3.

The writers still have the chops, that is certain. But one would wonder if it helps in the long run if they only took their time.

Personally, hoping they ask Masaaki for another guest artist episode...

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm Randy Butternubs