As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets Kill Some Kerbals

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    just got the giant kerbodyne stage 1 liquid booster... NOW I can do some damage...

got a couple more mun return trips.... time for Minmus landing.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »
    I tried to land on Moho today
    1024x768.resizedimage

I probably actually had enough fuel for the return trip, too

Technically you landed. Congratulations!

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I was trying to orbit the mun and it smashed into me

I miscalculated a tiny bit

You can adjust your orbit as you approach a body. North and sout are the same no matter where you go. When you enter that body's sphere of influence, burning at 90 or 270 will increase or decrease the periapsis. It takes less fuel to make these corrections the farther out you are, which is why I wish you could set the navball according to your target.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    yeah turned out I was trapped on the moon because I had ran out of electricity and couldn't control the ship, that's why it was falling down.

so began an attempt to get back to kerbin by just burning when the ship had spun around in the right direction.

Managed to get off the mun and into kerbin orbit, but, ran outta fuel before I could get home. Was close though.

Since then of course I've realised you need battery backs and been to mun and minimus and back

• Options
    my biggest Mun mistake was leaving SAS on while I was landed, which seems to drain the battery like crazy... so when I got back into the command module I had just enough electricity to fire my rocket and then I tumbled across the surface of the mun for a few moments before exploding due to lack of control

always turn SAS off when landed. Or invest in solar panels. (this was before I had panels)

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I never had an issue with it and SAS really helps keep stability while landing. Did you have an actual SAS module installed on your ship or something?

• Options
    i can use SAS while landing, that's obvious. but when you are actually touched down, engines cut, sometimes my SAS would just chirp constantly while I was sitting still, which killed my battery

no special modules installed, just the command module SAS

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Interesting. Maybe I turned mine off without realizing it? Or I just wasn't on the ground long enough to matter.

I pretty much hop out just long enough to plant the flag, take soil, do my eva report before blasting off again.

Sticks on
  • Options
    i believe that the problem may have been that I landed on a slight incline

ultimately it boils down to a physics bug. the command module thinks its moving but its not

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Mission to Moho!
    So I built a very rockety rocket
    E53C1AC95B4DA4DF65378DA029D9F50D14BBA951
    (Yes, those are jet engines firing up)

I get into space with a 'fair' amount of fuel left.
    06F1565BB260C844C96BEB94910A018C1608359E

Bill shows no fear as he drifts out of Kerbin's orbit, probably never to return
    236D5DD11E1707CA13F6778231BA33C092ACD710

At this point I realise that I forgot the fuel hoses to connect the extra fuel tanks to the engine on my planetary transfer stage. I get to spend the rest of this stage carefully transferring fuel around manually with the alt+lmb transfer screen.

I line up a transfer to Moho. I should just skim the surface, giving me lots of time to lose the ~4000m/s of extra velocity and get into an orbit.
    32111E95AF651C283BD5A48882B0A65BC487425F

Moho is just barely visible in the distance(up and left a bit from center). Bill is overjoyed.
    307A2633C280130EE3D5B9653C2BD68CBFBB46C0

After doing an incredibly long burn to decelerate, Bill gets ready to make his landing.
    8ED4ECCA2BC72493F9FE0C436083D00577A1617B

A surprisingly uneventful landing! Bill celebrates by pretending to fly the rocket from the extra seat we brought for Jeb. Unfortunately, we landed on the wrong side of the planet to complete the rescue mission. Maybe another time, Jeb!
    10EB73FF317870B8D7D86DB75AC7C87EDC5184C7

We do our science and leave Moho behind, for now.
    To save fuel, I line up a very tricky transfer without adjusting my tilt. I have to wait 7 years for the proper alignment to pull off the transfer. Bill gets really good at solitaire.
    B0FB787CCC0148C2CF4518097FFE4858930FAADE

My aim from Moho was good! We are on a direct intercept course with Kerbin, and the parachutes should do the rest of the work for me.
    389CACAEFF1BA1887C458EBC3C054A928A11A20D

Just to show off a little, Bill uses the rest of his fuel to land the rocket perfectly upright. Good show, Bill!
    CAC2E2DCAF40D590DE4E0C7ECD3D0EF986A4382E

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    It uses SAS to try to balance it if its on an incline

SAS holds it at exactly the angle you left it at which is not the angle it would naturally rest at

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I was trying to orbit the mun and it smashed into me

I miscalculated a tiny bit

You can adjust your orbit as you approach a body. North and sout are the same no matter where you go. When you enter that body's sphere of influence, burning at 90 or 270 will increase or decrease the periapsis. It takes less fuel to make these corrections the farther out you are, which is why I wish you could set the navball according to your target.

hmmm ok yeah that would explain what I did wrong

I didn't really "orbit" the moon instead I got slung into its gravity and popped out in a really weird way, but I got all my high atmosphere and low mun science done so I just headed home but somethings gone wrong and now Jebidiah is stuck ina weird orbit that I can't seem to match from launch so I'm thinking I have to do another shoot off the mun

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    It uses SAS to try to balance it if its on an incline

SAS holds it at exactly the angle you left it at which is not the angle it would naturally rest at

So that's why my lander was standing on 2 legs when I landed on Minimus. Huh.

• Options
    what do wings actually do for a rocket? I've tried them before and never saw any appreciable difference. I don't see how "lift" ratings can apply to rockets.

Also... space planes... I don't get it. What can you do with a space plane that you can't do with an appropriately sized rocket?

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »
    what do wings actually do for a rocket? I've tried them before and never saw any appreciable difference. I don't see how "lift" ratings can apply to rockets.

Also... space planes... I don't get it. What can you do with a space plane that you can't do with an appropriately sized rocket?

Space planes are much more efficient as a "single stage to orbit" vehicle. So if you get a space station set up, they make good taxis for fuel and kerbals.

Also, they are a lot of fun to fly in the atmosphere.

• Options
    so then Space Planes can be fitted with docking mechanisms?

haven't yet fitted a docking collar to anything. I haven't experienced that pain yet.

so would you do something like make a Kerbal orbiting station, dump a whole bunch of stage-2/3 materials there and then spaceplane your kerbals up to hop in them and go to other planets?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Wings on a rocket can help if you keep rotating uncontrollably. Also can make big, cumbersome rockets easier to pitch/turn.

• Options
    You can put a docking mechanism on any thing. But yea, that's the general gist. You can design your interplanetary vehicles to dock with the station and replace all the fuel they burned getting into orbit so that you have more delta-V to work with for long trips.

But really, until they implement cost, there isn't a major advantage to using planes over rockets. Just something to try for fun.

Once costs are there, it will be significantly cheaper to put a plane in orbit since all/almost all it's parts are reusable (as opposed to all those solid boosters and extra stages you jettison with your average rocket).

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Is there any practical way to use stack bi-tri-quad couplers?

They can't be used for a mid or late stage engine because you can't put any larger fuel tanks underneath them, and they aren't practical for a first stage engine because you can only fit small-size engines and tanks on them...

E: similarly, I keep trying to find a use for the Atomic Engine but they're so weak I can't fit them anywhere but the highest-stage (which won't have to escape heavy gravity) engines, and and they're so ridiculously long they make the upper tower too unstable

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I used a Tri-Coupler for my first Mun first-stage designs and found it to be more effective than eye-balling my SRB's into proper alignment

My last successful SRB configuration was a tri-coupler, with each SRB having one SRB sticking off the side of it to form a larger triangle shape (like a pool table rack), for six total SRB with a very tight mass

a few struts in the right place and you have a pretty decent stage-1. you can extend it with one extra rack of SRB's for just a little extra oomph once you get more flight stability pieces

but now that I have the big ass liquid stage 1 rocket, I'll probably never use it again

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I've tried to use them in the past to feed multiple tanks into a single engine, but there is a bug with fuel crossfeed in those couplers where it only works if you got from 1 to many instead of many to 1. You can get around it with fuel lines, but at that point the couplers are completely unnecessary.

The tri-coupler is OK for first stage in early career mode, but their real value is for docking large pieces together in orbit. You can use the bi or tri couplers to "double/triple dock" for added stability. I've not attempted it, but from what I understand it's much much harder to accomplish than even normal docking with a single port.

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    This video shows what I'm talking about while also demonstrating the problems of launching a rocket already docked that way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSkrrdM5r08

And here's a guy trying to dock two halves of a cool looking space station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZQ4B7h_8Y4

edit: ahh here's a Scott Manley video on the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FxmFeKSUc9c

Sticks on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    damn. i know those are heavy space station pieces, but I'm surprised he tried to dock then using four liquid boosters... i would be stacking RCSs for very fine movement

*edit* oh I see he does at the very final part

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    it would be so fucking badass if this games ends up having private online servers (like Minecraft) where people can work on different projects. people setting up space stations, people farming science, people designing new ships, trading one another, etc, etc

dont know how you would handle time warp though

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    it would be so fucking badass if this games ends up having private online servers (like Minecraft) where people can work on different projects. people setting up space stations, people farming science, people designing new ships, trading one another, etc, etc

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55835-KMP-v0-1-5-1-0-23-wip-alpha

There's also a more reliable multiplayer mod where you can't interract with anyone, it just shows you what everyone else it up to on the server.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55835-KMP-v0-1-5-1-0-23-wip-alpha

There's also a more reliable multiplayer mod where you can't interract with anyone, it just shows you what everyone else it up to on the server.

my life...... is over......

• Options
    edited May 2014
    well I landed on Minmus. Didn't even plan on going there. But I got to the moon and realized Minmus was perfectly positioned for a quick burn using Mun's slingshot.

Couldn't get back though. Wasted a ton of fuel on minmus escape because I way way way over judged how much power you needed to break free... ended up hurtling to nothingness and not enough fuel to correct

now I can't get back there because I can't figure out how to deal with the inclination properly

Jasconius on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    And here's a guy trying to dock two halves of a cool looking space station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZQ4B7h_8Y4

this thing is fucking baller

• Options
    Just got back from Minmus on what was easily and by far my most fuel efficient stage 2 and 3 ever. My first stage was good enough to get me almost to stable orbit, which is a major improvement, and stage 2 was enough to get me to Minmus *and* slowed down with fuel to spare. Similarly, my stage 3 was enough to land and return to Kerbin with over 50% to fuel remaining.

Invested the assload of science in probe technology (solar/ion engines).

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I seem to be having some n00b science problems.

I got a science lab in orbit around the mun with a bunch of goo chambres and science jr's. I have three kerbals on it, 2 in the lab. I have transmitters but they arent directly attached to the lab (not sure if that matters).

When i do experiments with the science jrs it asks if i want to use the science lab for it. I say yes. Then things seem to break down. It keeps saying i would get some science if i recovered, but the transmit value is zero. Not sure what i am dong wrong or how to actually get science using this lab.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »

I got a science lab in orbit around the mun with a bunch of goo chambres and science jr's. I have three kerbals on it, 2 in the lab. I have transmitters but they arent directly attached to the lab (not sure if that matters).

When i do experiments with the science jrs it asks if i want to use the science lab for it. I say yes. Then things seem to break down. It keeps saying i would get some science if i recovered, but the transmit value is zero. Not sure what i am dong wrong or how to actually get science using this lab.

science has rapidly diminishing returns, you can only do so many experiments on samples from a given location before they provide no value...

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Wings on a rocket can help if you keep rotating uncontrollably. Also can make big, cumbersome rockets easier to pitch/turn.

Often wings will make a cumbersome behemoth that just veers wherever the fuck it wants into a precision instrument tyat has no problems holding a course. During launch or re-entry, anyways. In space wings are only useful for looking cool.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Al_wat wrote: »

science has rapidly diminishing returns, you can only do so many experiments on samples from a given location before they provide no value...

You can do the same experiment over again and get full value as long as you are in a dfferent biome though right? Even in orbit?

I might have made the mistake of doing repeat experiments, not sure

Al_wat on
  • Options
    yeah at a certain level of orbit you get the "observed X over [insert region name here]"

and you can repeat those once or twice for each biome. But there may be an altitude requirement for that? not sure. I never see the biome mentioned in super high orbit experiments (like when I careen past a planet because I ran out of fuel)

• Options
    made it to Duna last night but didn't have enough fuel to land. Time to add moar rockets.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    2FBCE4E48CB519DF44D669E3933E7A65273DBCBA

Bill Kerman seems super stoked about being stuck behind those steel bars for the rest of his life

• Options
    Oh man I managed to get that mod that welds multiple parts into a single part to work.

Time to build fucking behemoths again

• Options
    nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
    ooh I like that mun lander design

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I like that lander design. I need to start building more propulsion into my final stages. My pre-strut design lessons (failures) made me skittish to do so

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    ooh I like that mun lander design

A wider base will give you more stability when landing in a mountainous area!