As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Netflix (and everything streaming) Thread: Unlimited timekilling for pennies a day

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me what exactly I'm watching? So, I go to Hulu and nothings new, and "that 80's show" is recomended for me. Ok, why not. I guess Fox decided to finally do it. That is definately not what this is. It actually looks like it's from the 80's, and it's all kinds of horrible. It looks like a bad 80's sitcom. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be? A parody of sorts? Yet, the key players look familiar, yet younger than I think they currently do. So was this some failed tv show I'm wondering?

It's so bad, yet I can't turn away. Well, after the pilot I probably will, but I really don't know what it's supposed to be. The laugh track is horrible, and so many of the 80's throwbacks are horrible and blared right in front of you. That 70's show was set in the 70's, but I never felt they did anything for 70's sake, so to speak. This one just throws stuff at you.

I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to be, but if you're looking for a new bad sitcom from the 80's, this could be your piece of pie.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what exactly I'm watching? So, I go to Hulu and nothings new, and "that 80's show" is recomended for me. Ok, why not. I guess Fox decided to finally do it. That is definately not what this is. It actually looks like it's from the 80's, and it's all kinds of horrible. It looks like a bad 80's sitcom. Maybe that's what it's supposed to be? A parody of sorts? Yet, the key players look familiar, yet younger than I think they currently do. So was this some failed tv show I'm wondering?

It's so bad, yet I can't turn away. Well, after the pilot I probably will, but I really don't know what it's supposed to be. The laugh track is horrible, and so many of the 80's throwbacks are horrible and blared right in front of you. That 70's show was set in the 70's, but I never felt they did anything for 70's sake, so to speak. This one just throws stuff at you.

I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to be, but if you're looking for a new bad sitcom from the 80's, this could be your piece of pie.
    Yeah it's a failed spin off of That 70s Show from 2002, I remember seeing ads for it at the time. Although holy shit, Dennis from IASIP is in it, now I have to watch at least some of it.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    That 80s Show is that terrible That 70s Show not-spinoff with Glenn Howerton right? God that show was terrible.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Ok, then it is a failed show. Thanks guys. The lack of HD and widescreen really threw me off, thinking it was supposed to be this way and bad. Plus, ya Dennis is in it, which threw me off as well. I was overseas when it came out, so I never even saw it fail. I remember talks about a show being made, never knew it did until now. I really thought it was something new lol. It is pretty bad.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Whatever can be said of That 70s Show, it did work as a show about a group of friends hanging out and growing up in the suburbs primarily. It certainly had 70s references and easy pop-culture gags, but they were secondary to the fairly universal concept of (mostly) likable characters hanging out, getting in trouble with their parents, etc.

That 80s Show basically stripped all that out and tried to replace it with amping up the era references to the extreme - "Look, a huge brick cellphone! Oh, 80s, you're so hilarious!"

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Wondering why the 80s show didn't work when that 70s show did is like asking why 99% of group hang sitcoms are shit even though they're trying to ape what Seinfeld created for them. It takes way more than a premise to make a good comedy.

• Options
    Whatever can be said of That 70s Show, it did work as a show about a group of friends hanging out and growing up in the suburbs primarily. It certainly had 70s references and easy pop-culture gags, but they were secondary to the fairly universal concept of (mostly) likable characters hanging out, getting in trouble with their parents, etc.

That 80s Show basically stripped all that out and tried to replace it with amping up the era references to the extreme - "Look, a huge brick cellphone! Oh, 80s, you're so hilarious!"

This is what immediately turned me off. Everything was so in your face, and just "It's 80's its funny!" I don't know how many times I saw the brick cell phones, and a gag about it costing $8 a minute, that served absolutely no purpose. There's a scene in the pilot where they put on an 80's tune, for the soul purpose of having it and for the asian guy to do a robot type dance.

What's funny is if this had come out in the 80's I would chalk it up to just a bad sitcom at the time. It does feel like an 80's sitcom. If they were going for that, they got that right. But everything else is so bad. Even the acting for the most part is pretty flat and bland, like everybody knows how bad this is.

Also, I know the 80's was when people starting recognizing/talking about Gay men/ Lesbian girls, but I found the bisexual girl to be out of place. Honestly I thought it served no purpose except for the girls to kiss, and didn't feel in line with the 80's to me at all.

It's kind of a shame, I could see a show like this working. If it was subtle, and good like the 70's show, that'd be one way. Or if this show was done exactly the same today, but with the self awareness that it's trying to be a bad 80's sitcom.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Also, I know the 80's was when people starting recognizing/talking about Gay men/ Lesbian girls, but I found the bisexual girl to be out of place. Honestly I thought it served no purpose except for the girls to kiss, and didn't feel in line with the 80's to me at all.

Yeah, that was a glaring anachronism. Mainstream culture was NOT okay with gay kissing of any sort in the '80s. Like, even up to the '90s the lesbian kisses were relegated to Sweeps Week Shockers, and even then they were often heavily edited. I wrote a TVTropes article on it, which I won't link. By 2002 it was almost passé, though, which made me wonder what the point of having it in the first place was.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Holy fucking shitfuck The Tick is even better than I remembered. Watching this as a vaguely mature individual is amazing. As usual, Fox killed a great show that was a fantastic deconstruction of superheroes because Fox fucking sucks at TV.

Report: Amazon to Revive The Tick, Starring Patrick Warburton

Continuing the theme of reviving unlikely TV superheroes….

Amazon is said to be interested in reviving The Tick, the unabashedly costumed crimefighter played by Patrick Warburton (Seinfeld, Rules of Engagement), a source tells People.com.

Also starring Nestor Carbonell (Lost) as Batmanuel, Liz Vassey (All My Children) as Captain Liberty and David Burke (Brothers & Sisters) as Arthur, the live-action Tick originally ran for nine episodes on Fox in 2001.

Per People.com, Ben Edlund — author of the comic book series that birthed The Tick, and who also had a hand in the Fox series — will pen and produce the comeback, with Warburton back in the title role.

Amazon did not immediately respond to TVLine’s request for comment on the report.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Holy fucking shitfuck The Tick is even better than I remembered. Watching this as a vaguely mature individual is amazing. As usual, Fox killed a great show that was a fantastic deconstruction of superheroes because Fox fucking sucks at TV.

The Tick has been one of my favorites since they murdered it.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I think it's around the first third of season 2 where parks and rec switches from awkward michael scott knockoff leslie knope to what has been the character we know and love. I'm glad for it because had it continued the show would just seem mean spirited.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Is psycho pass a multi season show or one of those one shot one season stories?

Just finished Kill la Kill and am looking for a new anime to start that is on netflix (or even hulu and prime) from beginning to end.

zllehs on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    the chick in that 80s show was... in not another teen movie maybe? I can't even remember

I watched it when it was on but it was not good, and the not-goodness magnified to terrible-ness since it was obv compared to that 70s show which is truly fantastic imo

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Could they land Ron Perlman for an episode again?....I hope so.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    zllehs wrote: »
    Is psycho pass a multi season show or one of those one shot one season stories?

Just finished Kill la Kill and am looking for a new anime to start that is on netflix (or even hulu and prime) from beginning to end.

They've announced a second season. Should start airing in Japan in October assuming you don't mind subs. Presumably some point down the line it'll be dubbed and on netflix as well.

That being said the story wraps itself up pretty well. Definitely enough material for a second season but the major story arc is definitely concluded.

• Options
    SeeDarkly_XSeeDarkly_X Registered User regular
    The Tick returns! Apparently coming to Amazon if all goes well...

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG and how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times a week. No Ads. Nothing to buy.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The Tick returns! Apparently coming to Amazon if all goes well...

"In early 2012, Fox canceled Warburton's live-action version (which also starred a pre-Lost Nestor Carbonell) after just nine episodes."

This made me go look it up because for a moment I though I was going insane.

• Options
    SeeDarkly_XSeeDarkly_X Registered User regular
    "In early 2012, Fox canceled Warburton's live-action version (which also starred a pre-Lost Nestor Carbonell) after just nine episodes."

This made me go look it up because for a moment I thought I was going insane.
    Have you not seen it? Warburton TOTALLY got the character! Granted it was low-FX... but man those antennae!
    Fox didn't know how to market it and kept screwing up the schedule, interrupting it with their stupid Temptation Island reality show.
    Might have succeeded better it were a little more action and less sit-com... hard to tell.

I hope he pulls off the reboot and gets it to last longer, though unfortunately if it is only released on Amazon I will not likely see it until DVD release. I refuse to subscribe to shows on Amazon.

Fan of roleplaying, fantasy, and sci-fi? Read The Myth Prosaic by Georgia Z.
    The story revolves around a character who plays an RPG and how that experience becomes useful to him in a dystopian future.
    It's free online, presented as a web-serial, with updates 3 times a week. No Ads. Nothing to buy.
    The Myth Prosaic - Book I of The Mythic Chess Set by Georgia Z
    Follow on Twitter - Follow on Facebook
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    I love when something really odd is added to the Scandinavian netflix, which has a fairly limited selection and is somewhat less eclectic than other regions. Today Fatal Justice, from 1994, was added (one of two additions). Don't worry if you haven't heard of it. Do, however, click the IMDB link and laugh at the poster (possibly mildly NSFW):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0184460/

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

This made me go look it up because for a moment I thought I was going insane.
    Have you not seen it? Warburton TOTALLY got the character! Granted it was low-FX... but man those antennae!
    Fox didn't know how to market it and kept screwing up the schedule, interrupting it with their stupid Temptation Island reality show.
    Might have succeeded better it were a little more action and less sit-com... hard to tell.

I hope he pulls off the reboot and gets it to last longer, though unfortunately if it is only released on Amazon I will not likely see it until DVD release. I refuse to subscribe to shows on Amazon.

I saw some of it when it came out but the article is off by a decade (cancelled in 2002 not 2012) so I had to check and make sure that I wasn't losing my mind.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    So Bojack Horseman.

It starts as a wacky comedy.

But it gets dark. Dang.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    So Bojack Horseman.

It starts as a wacky comedy.

But it gets dark. Dang.

It does have its moments yes/

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    So BoJack Horseman gets better? I watched the first three episodes tonight with a friend who recommended it to me and thought it was just aggressively unfunny.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I'm not completely sure it even is supposed to be funny. Like it goes for a few jokes but toward the end it becomes a tragedy.

I guess.

I don't really know what to classify it as. I think I enjoyed it.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    That should be on the DVD. "I think I enjoyed it?"

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Makes me kind of glad I stopped with episode 3.

It reminds me a bit like Derek; first season more about the funny with some (heavy handed) emotional moments, but the second season is drama over comedy.

I'm not really down for the bait and switch, especially when you tried and mostly failed so hard to be a comedy in the first place.

• Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Looks like the new season of Trailer Park Boys is hitting Netflix this Friday. I'll have to start a rewatch this afternoon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    On balance I like Bojack but damm yes, there are some moments.

I think I also like that comedians I like are in it

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Netflix now has the first two episodes of Ghost in the Shell: Arise

First episode is great, second episode tries to do way too much and it's kind of a mess. Though it's still fun.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    They couldn't revive the animated Tick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b49ObOaEnA0

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    New month drops and re-ups, quite a lot this month:

Californication TV show

-Addams Family
    -Bloodsport
    -Cool Runnings
    -D3 (thus the trilogy is complete!)
    -Good Morning Vietnam
    -Grosse Point Blank
    -Mr. Mom (!!!!!!)
    -Multiplicity
    -School of Rock
    -Varsity Blues

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    ooo californication, interesting

not particularly good but I found it fun in the entourage/weeds sort of way. it's gonna be crazy, it's gonna be a little funny and nonsensical, and you'll probably see breasts.

good morning vietnam is great and I'll also say I loved School of Rock. I generally hate watching kids in movies but that one really works.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    New month drops and re-ups, quite a lot this month:

Californication TV show

-Addams Family
    -Bloodsport
    -Cool Runnings
    -D3 (thus the trilogy is complete!)
    -Good Morning Vietnam
    -Grosse Point Blank
    -Mr. Mom (!!!!!!)
    -Multiplicity
    -School of Rock
    -Varsity Blues

That is a nice crop of movies there.

I mean, Addams Family is the best
    Multiplicity is probably my favorite Keaton comedy (which is probably heresy)
    Varsity Blues is kind of sentimental for me (because I was in the right age group, not because I played football)
    Grosse Point Blank is just great.

Thank you, oh gods of Netflixing.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Not heresy. As much as I like pretty much everything he did, having 3 1/2 Michael Keatons in one movie was
    magical.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I'm gonna eat a dolphin.

Also, super stoked about Cool Runnings and School of Rock since just yesterday I was thinking about watching them.

Is it all of Californication? I think I've seen all but the last season or so, so if those aren't on there maybe I'll pass for now.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah Gurren Lagann season 1 is now on Netflix as well!
    Highly recommend on the anime end of things.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I wound up liking Bo Jack Horseman. I think I decided to ride it out when
    Keith Olberman showed up as the news whale.
    I'm glad they didn't end on the super-downer drug trip episode. That would have worked, but it would have wasted a lot of the building they'd done to that point.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Netflix added a movie just a short while ago called Blue Ruin that I'd highly recommend. It fits in the category of "Revenge Thriller", but it's more interesting than the capsule description allows (it's also amazingly well-shot and good-looking for the genre).

Dissolve review

AV Club review

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Netflix shows Battlestar Galactica leaving the end of this month. That's a bummer, as my wife and I wanted to watch it but haven't gotten around to it.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Netflix app update on Xbox One. Layout is the standard Netflix UI used in other apps. Auto-play preferences now work. The recently watched section opens the show page for TV shows, instead of automatically playing the next episode. Next episodes now update without the app being restarted.

It's the motherload.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.