As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Netflix (and everything streaming) Thread: Unlimited timekilling for pennies a day

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Netflix added a movie just a short while ago called Blue Ruin that I'd highly recommend. It fits in the category of "Revenge Thriller", but it's more interesting than the capsule description allows (it's also amazingly well-shot and good-looking for the genre).

Dissolve review

AV Club review

Yeah, Blue Ruin is the goods. Very simple and stripped down and effective.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Netflix shows Battlestar Galactica leaving the end of this month. That's a bummer, as my wife and I wanted to watch it but haven't gotten around to it.

It's not a guarantee or anything, but sometimes shows expire and immediately come back due to the way the contracts work.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Netflix shows Battlestar Galactica leaving the end of this month. That's a bummer, as my wife and I wanted to watch it but haven't gotten around to it.

It's not a guarantee or anything, but sometimes shows expire and immediately come back due to the way the contracts work.

Yeah, I crammed a bunch of X-Files episodes into a day in an effort to finish the series before it disappeared only to have all of them still be up the next day.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Parks and rec season 6 will be up later this month. That is lovely news :)

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I love School of Rock - it's such an enthusiastic, fun movie.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I love School of Rock - it's such an enthusiastic, fun movie.

I feel it needs more music worked in.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

Yesssssssssssssssss

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This app: still awesome. In other news.
    Netflix is getting very, very aggressive with its streaming deals. After picking up The Blacklist for a reported $2 million per episode, Netflix now has the rights to the upcoming TV show / Batman prequel Gotham before the show has even aired its first episode.

Haha. A winner is us.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular

Oh fuckkkkk I still haven't started it and have been putting it off because I figured they'd have it forever. Is it on Amazon Prime?

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Nope, it's not on prime either. I'm just going to have to hope Netflix or Amazon picks it back up after 10/1, because there's no way I have time to watch it all in a month.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Nope, it's not on prime either. I'm just going to have to hope Netflix or Amazon picks it back up after 10/1, because there's no way I have time to watch it all in a month.

You only need to get through the first 3 seasons really. For me the show never topped the finale of S3. First half of S4 was okay but then, well, you ever have a relationship that ends so badly you can't remember the good times anymore without seeing red? That's what the end of the show was like for a lot of people. Hope it goes differently for you if you make it that far but don't hold your breath.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Hello secret Anime thread, I just finished Psycho Pass
    That ending was Noir as fuck. And not in a good way. In the soul killing depressing "Men are MEN and Dames are DAMES" kinda way.

Even the attempt to anime up the ending to give you some hope, it ended up being Noir as fuck.

And the actual last scene was both clever, and soul-killing at the same time.

So UGH, Psycho Pass, that was pretty okay until the very, very end.

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    That ending was Noir as fuck. And not in a good way. In the soul killing depressing "Men are MEN and Dames are DAMES" kinda way.

Even the attempt to anime up the ending to give you some hope, it ended up being Noir as fuck.

Guess what dude! SEASON 2 INCOMING!

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    New month drops and re-ups, quite a lot this month:

Californication TV show

-Addams Family
    -Bloodsport
    -Cool Runnings
    -D3 (thus the trilogy is complete!)
    -Good Morning Vietnam
    -Grosse Point Blank
    -Mr. Mom (!!!!!!)
    -Multiplicity
    -School of Rock
    -Varsity Blues

That is a nice crop of movies there.

I mean, Addams Family is the best
    Multiplicity is probably my favorite Keaton comedy (which is probably heresy)
    Varsity Blues is kind of sentimental for me (because I was in the right age group, not because I played football)
    Grosse Point Blank is just great.

Thank you, oh gods of Netflixing.

Mr. Mom is right there

I wasn't a huge fan of Multiplicity.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

By Urobuchi standards that was a happy ending.

Also yes, season 2 starts in like a month.

It will probably be even darker.

Having the entirety of Gurren Lagann up on Netflix just as Toonami was starting to air it feels like kicking the latter in the pants, doesn't it.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    And once again Netflix has shunted my list to the ass end of the categories in 360. Am I the only one this is happening to? It is super annoying having to scroll all the way through the categories just to get to the stuff I want to watch. Also the new Jim Jeffries stand up routine is fantastic. If you are a fan of the type of humor I highly recommend it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    And once again Netflix has shunted my list to the ass end of the categories in 360. Am I the only one this is happening to? It is super annoying having to scroll all the way through the categories just to get to the stuff I want to watch. Also the new Jim Jeffries stand up routine is fantastic. If you are a fan of the type of humor I highly recommend it.

My List is at the bottom on PC as well and pissing me off.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Psycho-Pass' ending was a happy ending, all things considered.
    I thought for sure some combination of
    1. Makishima living / living on in the Sibyl system
    2. Kogami dying
    3. Akane becoming a part of the Sibyl system
    was going to happen.
    I have no hopes for the second season because I don't want my heart broken.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

I had gotten impatient and am now watching season 6 on Hulu Plus. The commercials are annoying but I'll survive.

So far the season is fantastic and hilarious.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I finished Psycho-Pass, and I have just one thing to say about it:
    SPOOKY BOOGIE

Okay, more than that:
    They did some great work at making Makishima's crusade against the system be not only understandable, but admirable in some ways. In a different anime, he would be the hero (or anti-hero, as it were). That wasn't the story they were telling, of course, and the Kogami/Makishima drama came to a satisfying conclusion.

Akane was surprisingly awesome throughout the series. It thought for sure that her schtick would wear thin, but she's a damn hero, is what she is.
    It seems super clear to me that she's a deviant to the system like Makishima, and the Sibyl system wants her sweet, sweet brainmeats to make up for losing Makishima (and the brain that Makishima killed), but knows that they have to tread carefully, lest she decide that tearing down the system would be better for society than letting them continue.

Interested in Season 2. Bound to be some interesting developments with the new Enforcer team.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Yeah, Akane's character type is super annoying like 90% of the time

But somehow she was pretty likeable

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, so I've never really watched parks and rec

just start on season 2 seems like the common wisdom. Y/N?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Finale of Season 1 is actually a pretty good jumping off point, but it's optional.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    P10 wrote: »
    2. Kogami dying
    was going to happen.
    I was freaking the fuck out like you wouldn't believe when they showed Akane talking to the Sibyl system with bandages on her head.

I thought she was being prepped to have her brain removed so she could join the system in order to spare Kogami.
    Yeah, Akane's character type is super annoying like 90% of the time

But somehow she was pretty likeable

The thing that made Akane work for me was her occasional moments of expressing beyond her gloomy default look.

There's a reason this image gets passed around a lot.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Amazon Prime has new pilots out to watch and vote on. I've only seen Hysteria and Hand of God. The former was very boring and the latter was thoroughly mediocre.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    2. Kogami dying
    was going to happen.
    I was freaking the fuck out like you wouldn't believe when they showed Akane talking to the Sibyl system with bandages on her head.

I thought she was being prepped to have her brain removed so she could join the system in order to spare Kogami.

I bet that will be a plot in the 2nd season. It might even happen,
    but then she'd get a robot body and become a superhero.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    Amazon Prime has new pilots out to watch and vote on. I've only seen Hysteria and Hand of God. The former was very boring and the latter was thoroughly mediocre.

Amazons original offerings have completely been sub-par with me. I checked out a few last year and nothing grabbed me (Silicon Valley is about 100 times better than Betas, Alpha House was ok at best), and seeing what they have now I'm just not interested. I actually think it would be better if they didn't do the voting and just stuck to their guns on something. It might not hit but it's still a boon for Amazon because you have a season of something that you have complete control over for distribution.

It's not really a budget issue with Amazon compared to Netflix but the feeling that these are kind of VOD-TV, which is something that hasn't really existed yet. People are using it as a stepping stone to something bigger instead of just making a great product from the beginning.

I don't know, that might all be rambling, carry on.

Oh! Parks & Rec. I would start near the end of Season 2, I think The Possum is the best episode to start with. Everything before then felt very mean spirited (those gay guys who hung around April were so, so bad) or too obnoxious (Tom was more Ansari than he needed to be) and the show had a much more apparent angle to the show (Ron is wrong, Leslie is right).

But when Adam Scott and Rob Lowe show up near the end of Season 2, it picks up dramatically.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

Yeah, S2 is a good starting point. Like MalReynolds said, the S1 finale is probably the first episode where its potential first starts showing, but it's kinda odd to start at the end of the season (it has a few instances of wrapping of the season's storylines, while the S2 premiere is a bit more of a new start).

If after you've seen a few seasons you like the show, it may be worth going back and watching S1 just to see how far the show came.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular

Oh great I loved this last year.
    By far my favorite was the one with the people in the parking garage and the whole world turning to shit
    But I guess it never got picked up huh? :(

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    zllehs wrote: »

Oh great I loved this last year.
    By far my favorite was the one with the people in the parking garage and the whole world turning to shit
    But I guess it never got picked up huh? :(

Every Amazon pilot from their last pilot season got picked up except for one (some sports show with Natalie Zea) - they just haven't started airing yet.

The one you're referring is (I think? Didn't see it) The After, and it got picked up.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh man

Season 3 of Brave and the Bold is on Netflix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixXnzefsBA

Wonderful.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I love amazon's idea of doing the pilots to gauge viewer interest in original series', but I couldn't stop rolling my eyes in the back of my head when I saw George Bluth playing a late middle aged father who decided to reveal to his family he was transgender in a pilot called Transparent. It was just too on the nose for me to handle. And the one they had with Titus Welliver sounded interesting but also maybe super generic.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

Can....

Can you not just press up on the controller? That's what I do.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options

For the first season and maybe 3-4 episodes into season 2 they made Leslie a very unlikable michael scott knockoff. But then it was like a switch was flipped and the character takes off.

And of course there are Ron an Andy, two of the best characters on tv.

Hope you enjoy :)

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Bojack Horseman's casual attitude towards interspecies sex is making me uncomfortable.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Bojack Horseman's casual attitude towards interspecies sex is making me uncomfortable.

Its 2014 dude... Its not okay to say stuff like that anymore!

• Options
    The League season 5 is up as well

• Options
    edited September 2014
    zllehs wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

Its 2014 dude... Its not okay to say stuff like that anymore!

Next thing you know, Coinage will be against robosexuality, too. I hate robophobes.

Anyway, Netflix thought I would give 5 stars to Kill La Kill. I watched the first episode. What the fuck was that? It's like they started in the middle of every shonen anime ever, without regard to little things like plot or good animation.

Well, at least Ghost in the Shell: Arise looks good. I watched the first half hour. A bit softer lines than the films or SAC, so the animation style takes some getting used to, but at least it's telling a story I haven't seen before.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    What the fuck was that?

this is the correct response, yes.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular

Finale of Season 1 is actually a pretty good jumping off point, but it's optional.

I've been pondering getting into this show for a while, is there a reason why season 1 is skippable?

This discussion has been closed.