As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Netflix (and everything streaming) Thread: Unlimited timekilling for pennies a day

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    yeah I don't know why you'd think a show with that name would bomb. if half the people who take selfies every day watched the show it'd be the biggest hit in the world. plus it's easy marketing, easy to remember name.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that people expected something different from the title to what the show was actually about, which is more "self-less."

They should have entitled it, "John Cho is a total bro, and Karen Gillen is ridiculously hot." Ten seasons and a movie, right there.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    There's a Chelsea Peretti standup special that was just released, and being a Netflix produced one, is borderline spamming the suggestions stuff.

She's good on BNN but the special was really, really padded. Both in her saying "like" so much it's almost ten minutes right there (made worse by some of her material being about super hot bimbo girls, and she never makes that connection to herself), and dragging out material with exaggerated mannerisms, along with some material about guys vs. gals that seems like every other female comedian. The new thing seems to be "guys wouldn't shut up on stage if they had periods."

She also tries to do something original but fails in the execution, which is cutting to the audience but having non-sequiturs like having dogs in the audience, or a dude vacuuming. Trouble is, it looks very after the fact instead of it happening live, so in editing you can tell which parts she did beforehand and which parts are the real deal in front of a live audience, kind of like knowing when the Power Rangers were the japanese cuts of the show and the American ones (super padded suits)

There is some funny stuff there but not enough for 70 minutes, so I have to say two stars. It's not as terrible as Aziz Ansari but not a Jim Jefferies or Jim Norton or Jim Gaffigan level. Maybe comedians should have the name Jim.

Really though, too many comedians (or rather comedic actors) have specials who really shouldn't. The inherent value of a special is hella diminished these days.
    Jim Jefferries can be a bit awkward to watch in mixed company. Hilarious, though.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    If anyone is in the mood for a good faux-documentary horror movie, I highly recommend that you check out The Taking of Deborah Logan.

It's about a grad student who's doing a video thesis on Alzheimer's and is following the titular character around as she deteriorates. Things are fairly tame in the beginning, save for a few behaviours that could be expected of someone who is rapidly losing their mind to the disease, but halfway through it takes quite a turn. In addition to numerous jump scares, the whole movie has this sense of tension that builds up the whole way through and keeps you watching.

Cast is good, never heard of the director but it's a great looking movie, and Bryan Singer is one of the roughly 28 producers. Check it out on American Netflix.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the only thing I can think of is that people expected something different from the title to what the show was actually about, which is more "self-less."

They should have entitled it, "John Cho is a total bro, and Karen Gillen is ridiculously hot." Ten seasons and a movie, right there.

Or just The Facts of Life

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    That's something I was thinking while watching, her way of speaking leads well to a podcast but is balls for standup and actually having people pay to see a show.

People just need to focus on one thing these days before trying to have it all, somebody bring me some haaaaam

Agreed, the thing about stand up is just being a funny person isn't enough. You have to be a great joke writer. Louis CK wasn't who he is now when he started, even though he was already a funny person. Peretti is hilarious on her podcast, when she's on her other friends podcasts, etc. She's masterful at making fun of people in a way that's hilarious but you can tell not truly insulting. But she may never be a great stand up because that requires joke writing, delivery, and all sorts of other things that just being funny doesn't guarantee you do well.

I still think she's hilarious, and I still like her stand up for what it is. It's just not great. If she wants it in the future I can see her being like Mindy Kaling and creating her own show to write/star in, and I think she'll excel at that more than stand up.

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    oh my god tony soprano is such a miserable fuck with literally no redeeming qualities

i hate him so much

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular
    Just finished True Detective -- Amazing.

Thinking about twin peaks since everyone won't shut up about it... Still tons of stuff on HBOGo though... Like should i check out the Sopranos even though everyone hates the last episode?

• Options
    I don't know who told you everybody hates the last episode of Sopranos, but they don't. People who can't stand an ending that isn't super explicitly clear about what happens may have shouted, but that's a minority. I love the way The Sopranos ended, and honestly it's really not even that ambiguous. And you should definitely watch the show, because it's one of the greatest shows of all time.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Agents of shield is finally coming to netflix on the 20th. I can catch up now then get stuck behind again because current season streams only go 5 back

• Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I don't know who told you everybody hates the last episode of Sopranos, but they don't. People who can't stand an ending that isn't super explicitly clear about what happens may have shouted, but that's a minority. I love the way The Sopranos ended, and honestly it's really not even that ambiguous. And you should definitely watch the show, because it's one of the greatest shows of all time.

I'm enjoying it, hatred of tony aside.

It hasn't grabbed me in a way Mad Men, BrBa or the Wire did, but you can see how these newer shows all took their cues from the Sopranos. It was a game changer.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I want t
    Greeper wrote: »
    oh my god tony soprano is such a miserable fuck with literally no redeeming qualities

i hate him so much

Gandolfini was great in that role and nailed the sleazebag feeling

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Greeper wrote: »

I'm enjoying it, hatred of tony aside.

It hasn't grabbed me in a way Mad Men, BrBa or the Wire did, but you can see how these newer shows all took their cues from the Sopranos. It was a game changer.

I'm not into mob stuff, movies or TV, so Sopranos didn't grab me the way my other favorite shows did either. But it was such a masterful performance by Gandolfini, and the writing was just so insanely good there was no way I wasn't going to watch the entire thing.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The Sopranos is better looked at as almost a parody of mob movies and the late 90s/early 2000s in general

• Options
    To me The Sopranos is mostly about showing that not all mob guys are really as tough as the persona. Tony's a guy who would've never become a made guy if not for who his father was. And he was never cut out for that life. He's been suffering from anxiety disorder over what he saw his Dad do since he was a kid. That's part of the brilliance. You can simultaneously hate Tony because he's an awful guy and also have your heart break for him when he talks about the origins of how he became part of that world.

He's the white mafia family version of the murderous gang member who was a sweet normal little kid, but wasn't born with the right parents and ends up in that life, and while I haven't seen a ton of mob movies/shows as I'm not that into them, it's the first time I've seen that particular type of character portrayed so well.

• Options
    Not really the place for this specifically, but does anybody know why the CW doesn't put episodes of their shows on the app on xbox one? I want to use it to watch supernatural, but then I end up having to just go to the CW website using a computer to do so. I guess I don't understand the point of the app if episodes aren't added to it?

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Does CW not have a separate app for the Xbox one?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Apologies if I misworded my post. I downloaded the CW's app for my xbox one in the hopes that I could watch Supernatural on it. But the only thing on the app are short clips and what not, no episodes.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Is this the "streaming" thread, because if so I'd like to complain about the FXNow app on Apple TV... I just want to watch The Simpsons and it gets stuck at accessing. I'm one episode away from finishing season 1 :(

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Can post about it now that it's more public knowledge but in case you didn't know:

Netflix in Australia/NZ in March 2015.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    So all the Mad Maxes will be there?

And Chris Lilly stuff?

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Oooh I want to watch some Yahoo Serious movies for nostalgia's sake. Loved Reckless Kelly as a kid.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Not really the place for this specifically, but does anybody know why the CW doesn't put episodes of their shows on the app on xbox one? I want to use it to watch supernatural, but then I end up having to just go to the CW website using a computer to do so. I guess I don't understand the point of the app if episodes aren't added to it?

The CW streams their episodes on Hulu. I'd imagine that's why they don't stream on the app.

• Options
    Just seems pointless to me to have an app if they're not going to put episodes on it. A little google fu discovered that on some platforms they have new episodes on their app, and on others(Xbox specifically) they apparently have quit doing so. It's whatever. I guess i'll just have to keep watching new Supernaturals on their website for now.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Apologies if I misworded my post. I downloaded the CW's app for my xbox one in the hopes that I could watch Supernatural on it. But the only thing on the app are short clips and what not, no episodes.

I don't understand this desire by networks to put out apps that contain little content anyone would be interested in.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, Netflix is postponing the Bill Cosby special they developed, on account of that whole little "he raped fifteen women over his career (that we know of)" issue.

Good on them.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Allegedly. I have little doubt that Cosby is guilty of the charges, but I'm not a jury. Settling with one accuser doesn't mean guilty either. Sometimes you settle so you don't have to have your name dragged through the mud, and it can often cost less to do so, regardless of guilt.

I think Netflix's decision is the right thing to do given the allegations and the controversy they'd face, but not because I'm declaring him guilty of all accusations just because people spoke them.

I think Cosby is an asshole, and always have with his holier than thou "Black men bring their problems on themselves" bullshit, but it doesn't mean I'm going to throw him in jail just because somebody accused him of a crime.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Allegedly. I have little doubt that Cosby is guilty of the charges, but I'm not a jury. Settling with one accuser doesn't mean guilty either. Sometimes you settle so you don't have to have your name dragged through the mud, and it can often cost less to do so, regardless of guilt.

I think Netflix's decision is the right thing to do given the allegations and the controversy they'd face, but not because I'm declaring him guilty of all accusations just because people spoke them.

I think Cosby is an asshole, and always have with his holier than thou "Black men bring their problems on themselves" bullshit, but it doesn't mean I'm going to throw him in jail just because somebody accused him of a crime.

Not somebody. Fifteen women, all of whom have very similar stories. I don't see where you can really use the "allegedly" at this point.

Edit: And nobody is saying to throw him in jail. What people are saying is that you either have the most unlikely conspiracy ever, or that he is a serial predator.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

And Chris Lilly stuff?

Crocodile Dundees?

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    So, Netflix is postponing the Bill Cosby special they developed, on account of that whole little "he raped fifteen women over his career (that we know of)" issue.

Good on them.

On the same subject, NBC unsurprisingly just killed his show as well.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Not somebody. Fifteen women, all of whom have very similar stories. I don't see where you can really use the "allegedly" at this point.

Edit: And nobody is saying to throw him in jail. What people are saying is that you either have the most unlikely conspiracy ever, or that he is a serial predator.

I don't care if it's 50 accusers. Plenty of people are more than willing to jump on a person and throw their names into the ring of people who might get money out of them if a settlement happens. If he's guilty I hope he pays for what he's done, but I will never assume someone's guilty just because someone accused them.

I'm personally sensitive to such things, because in high school I had an unstable girl who wanted to have sex with me, and when I told her no, she told me directly to my face she was going to tell my girlfriend(now my wife) and anybody else who would listen that I raped her. And she did. And only because it was known that she was the kind of person who would lie about such a thing was I not ostracized for it. And a few people who ran more in her circles tried to perpetuate the lie so it's not like it immediately went away.

If she had gone to the police I might've been charged, or worse convicted of a completely baseless and bullshit crime. So yeah, I'm never going to say Cosby raped anybody unless he's found guilty of doing so or admits it.

Again, I agree that Netflix, whatever network it was that was working on a new sitcom for him, etc. should stay far away until this whole thing is settled one way or another, but not because I think he's auto guilty because of accusations.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I don't see where you can really use the "allegedly" at this point.

Because there hasn't been a trial of any kind. And most people don't consider themselves to be qualified to be the sole judge and jury of another person.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I don't care if it's 50 accusers. Plenty of people are more than willing to jump on a person and throw their names into the ring of people who might get money out of them if a settlement happens. If he's guilty I hope he pays for what he's done, but I will never assume someone's guilty just because someone accused them.

I'm personally sensitive to such things, because in high school I had an unstable girl who wanted to have sex with me, and when I told her no, she told me directly to my face she was going to tell my girlfriend(now my wife) and anybody else who would listen that I raped her. And she did. And only because it was known that she was the kind of person who would lie about such a thing was I not ostracized for it. And a few people who ran more in her circles tried to perpetuate the lie so it's not like it immediately went away.

If she had gone to the police I might've been charged, or worse convicted of a completely baseless and bullshit crime. So yeah, I'm never going to say Cosby raped anybody unless he's found guilty of doing so or admits it.

Again, I agree that Netflix, whatever network it was that was working on a new sitcom for him, etc. should stay far away until this whole thing is settled one way or another, but not because I think he's auto guilty because of accusations.

With celebrities rape allegations play a little differently. Going after Cosby in his prime would have been useless, since he has the support from the public and greater fiances to defend himself and smear his victims, today he's not that powerful. That's not even accounting how terrible authorities deal with rape allegations even without celebrities being involved. It's terrible what happened to you, girls faking rape charges make it that much harder for real victims to come forward.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I very much doubt anyone is saying Cosby definitely didn't do it. Just that we shouldn't jump straight to "Oh he's def a rapist" just yet.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Also could we maybe not turn this into Rape Thread # 37842?

Pretty please?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

And Chris Lilly stuff?

Crocodile Dundees?

And Quigly Down Under!

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I very much doubt anyone is saying Cosby definitely didn't do it. Just that we shouldn't jump straight to "Oh he's def a rapist" just yet.

I think one can certainly believe the probably did it though, based on the evidence being compelling.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    whatever happened to tom selleck...oh that's right he has a tv show now...quigly is a fun movie!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Doug Benson has a new Netflix special, Doug Dynasty, and it makes me a little sad, because I like the guy's podcasts, I love Doug Loves Movies, and he usually is really good and has some really good snipes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrsl9YQRU4w

But this special seems like he's trying new material out right now, not getting it ready for the show, on top of being too high to really tell jokes. It's his schtick but bro, bro. He literally does crowd work five minutes into the show, talks about the jib arm that's filming the show for a few minutes, and you get a sense from the audience this isn't what they expected and have a few nervous laughs. When he does do some good jokes (emotional scars, Bosstones freeloader on stage) you hear the audience go "oh hey, maybe he's getting into his routine," but then it's just new topic.

You're basically watching a stoned guy almost at the stoner equivalent of drinking half a bottle of bourbon trying to tell jokes, and like at a party it's kind of funny at first but then you just get a little sad and you just want him to go sit down have some water.

• Options
    I don't care for Benson's stand up, though I love Doug Loves Movies. There's this kind of new wave of "stand up" by people who primarily build their fanbase via podcast and what not, where it's like they expect the audience to just be happy to be listening to them talk, even if the material isn't that great. Carolla is the same way. His podcast is immensely popular, so he goes on the road and does "stand up," but it's really mostly just live podcasts or him ranting about whatever.

Marc Maron's the same way. Love WTF, but I don't really enjoy his "anxious guy tells anecdotes where his world view made the situation way weirder than it should've been" stand up material.

This discussion has been closed.