As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a corner computer desk or equivelant

Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with ragefrom a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
OK, the desk i am using now is designed for a flat wall, and I want something for use in a corner. That is beside the fact that it is this I..I close to overstaying its welcome in my room. (Yeah, I hate it.)

Browsing online isn't showing me anything I really like, so hopefully I can enlist you all to loan me your eyes for a while.

Some criteria:

It has to be available to buy and transport in central Florida.

I don't have a huge amount of square footage. Preferably not more than 4 or 5 feet on a side for the sides that face up to the walls.

Looking for something in a more modern style than a wooden cabinet.

Outrageous styles are not out of bounds. In fact, I was looking at a few flight/driving sim computer stations because they look like they have really comfortable seats.

I don't want to spend a grand on something great. I mean, I could, but I really don't want to.

So have any of you seen something recently that really caught your attention?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Personally I don't like those computer tables instead I prefer a straight table and then combine/tweak with whatever needed.

For instance my current setup is actually a dining table which happened to be the exact right height. This I have combined with a separate module on wheels with some storage space that goes under it + plus I mounted a small shelf under the desk to hold cables (I have two computers, two consoles, some audio equipment and so on the desk so lots of cables). Also I build a small unit on wheels that goes under the desk which holds the PS3, 360 and a laser printer. Having most things on wheels makes cleaning easy.

Not saying this will work for you but maybe looking at other stuff than computer table may bring what you seek.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    For corner desks if you aren't building it yourself most people are just going to default to IKEA

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/10712/
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/20649/

The Galant series in particular is a rather popular option for a multi-piece desk, also note you can pick and choose between legs and tops and toss together a corner unit that is either curved or just two flat wall pieces that just butt up against each other.

iRevert on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Alright. If you find that your thinking is stuck in a box, destroy the box.

I am going to build a thing. Let me think a bit about design...

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?266055-Scratch-Build-The-Ultimate-Computer-Desk

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    My "corner" desk is just 2 straight desks that I kitty-cornered together and tossed some zap bolting onto to strengthen it.

And then I cut a triangle piece and bolted it footrest high into the corner for relaxin.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    It's too bad you don't live in NY. Apparently my old desk is sitting on the side of the road waiting for someone to take it...

Or garbage day.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    iRevert wrote: »

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?266055-Scratch-Build-The-Ultimate-Computer-Desk

I've... wasted my life.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    My "corner" desk is just 2 straight desks that I kitty-cornered together and tossed some zap bolting onto to strengthen it.

And then I cut a triangle piece and bolted it footrest high into the corner for relaxin.

What is zap bolting?

• Options
    Google Image is denying me a picture ( so now wonder if that's it's Canadian Slang term) basically long strips of solid metal with screw holes , basic fasteners , but like slightly flexible if needed when attaching, good for locking a corner together

• Options
    Malkor wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »

I've... wasted my life.

That's nothing you should see some of the more intricate desks people build.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Google Image is denying me a picture ( so now wonder if that's it's Canadian Slang term) basically long strips of solid metal with screw holes , basic fasteners , but like slightly flexible if needed when attaching, good for locking a corner together

I have an entertainment unit type thing which is basically built up from stackable storage cubes of various sizes, and it works well, but I have been wishing I could find some fairly easy, non-hardware-intensive way of locking them altogether so they don't slide and shift when people use the shelves, bump into them, etc.

• Options
    They are basically the things on the left side of this picture, but with a flexible alloy in the middle that allows custom cornering

hardware_for_sandbox.jpg

• Options
    They are basically the things on the left side of this picture, but with a flexible alloy in the middle that allows custom cornering

hardware_for_sandbox.jpg

I call it predrilled Flashing, but I know the braces have a technical name

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    You could probably also use metal Plumbers Tape

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options

hardware_for_sandbox.jpg

@WiseManTobes

Was cleaning off my workbench to day and found your mystery iron sitting in my big-box-o-shit

Search for "SIMPSON Strong Tie" or "esr-2523" should pull it up

• Options
    WhacktoseWhacktose Registered User regular
    If you plan to spend more than 6 hours a day at the desk, I would highly recommend a sit/stand or height adjustable desk such as this one:

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/tables/adjustable/series7/pages/overview.aspx

They are expensive, but they are incredibly helpful in terms of your personal health if you spend all day at the computer.

• Options
    Whacktose wrote: »
    If you plan to spend more than 6 hours a day at the desk, I would highly recommend a sit/stand or height adjustable desk such as this one:

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/category/tables/adjustable/series7/pages/overview.aspx

They are expensive, but they are incredibly helpful in terms of your personal health if you spend all day at the computer.

You should note that the chair and frequent breaks are more important than a height adjustable desk.