As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Five books for a dollar? What a deal!

noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm sure you also seen those ads that fall out of Wizard magazine and the like, the book clubs that advertise you can get five books for only a dollar. I'm aware that you have to buy some extra ones by two years, which I have no problem about, but I also have heard that they send you "featured selection" books every month, and it's up to you to send them back or they'll be charged.

Has anyone tried this programs? Do they make it too much trouble to send them back? I would love to sign up, as I spend too much on books anyways, but I really don't want to worry about the hassle of sending things back every month.

noir_blood on

• Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I remember seeing those inserts in magazines a dozen years ago. The reason that business model still works is that there are enough people out there who think "I'll remember to send my stuff in on time", who then subsequently fail to do that, and end up having to pay for books they never would have bought voluntarily. If you don't want to have to worry about sending stuff in on time, don't sign up. If you're thinking "Oh I won't be like that, I'll be all diligent and stuff", you should realize that chances are you'll forget at some point and end up having to pay for something you don't want.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When I joined one of those many years ago, they didn't send you new books, but you had to buy 4 or 5 at regular price in the next year or something. Considering I would've bought the books anyway, it worked out to be a pretty good deal.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you're talking about the Sci-Fi Book Club, they send you a catalogue every month, and an order form. You just check the box that says "don't send me the featured selection," and they don't.

Or, at least, that's what they did back when I used it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If it is the Sci-Fi book club you can decline the featured selections online and save a stamp. I liked it when was a member.

Beazle on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yea, it's the sci fi club one. And cool, didn't know you could decline them online. That'll work for me then. Thanks!

noir_blood on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The catch with these book clubs is that you usually end up spending as much on shipping charges for books you get through book clubs as you would to just buy the books. With the exception of low-margin paperbacks that can't be discounted much, Amazon is the way to go for cheap books.

supabeast on
  • Options
    ddahcmaiddahcmai Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The sci fi club refused to listen to my request to not send featured selections no less than four times. However, most of the books I was inevitably stuck with were actually pretty good, so it all balanced out in the end. Apparently my situation is unique though, just be wary of the "you have to buy 5 books in the next year at full price now" thing.

ddahcmai on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hopefully they've improved over the years. When I was a kid, my parents got into one of these and my dad had to send back the books for months, writing deceased on the unopened package before they would leave him alone. I'm sure it is better now, but I have never gotten into any kind of mail order deal like that because of his bad experience.

stigweard on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Something to note about book clubs, is that while they are techincally hardcovers, the binding process they use is a lot cheaper. If you tend to reread books heavily, you may find that they come apart very easily.

Thomamelas on