As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Teen Goth Space Station for Teens

BegforrainBegforrain Registered User regular
Hello! What the heck is up? My name's Eric and I've been lurking these boards for an embarrassingly long time so I thought I would pony up and post something because I finally feel like my art is at a place where I can show people stuff without having them cringe and grimace! I just completed my first year of college at Mass Art in Boston last year and I am super into digital art and videogames and pixels and stuff. Some artists that have been influencing my work a lot lately are Jake Wyatt, Zedig, Sam Bosma, Omocat, and Giannis Milonogiannis. I'm pushing to make it into the gaming industry, but I think I'm lacking a lot of direction right now with my work which is part of the reason I'm posting here now. In addition to critique on my technique, I'd also like to be aware of the kind of portfolio game developers are looking for and the kind of software I should be familiar with if that's not too much to ask. These are sorted from earlier this year to present! Thanks for looking!

attachment.php?attachmentid=1630207&stc=1&d=1352664479

attachment.php?attachmentid=1700418&stc=1&d=1359583771

attachment.php?attachmentid=1812097&stc=1&d=1376345394

attachment.php?attachmentid=1812103&stc=1&d=1376345469

attachment.php?attachmentid=1812102&stc=1&d=1376345469

attachment.php?attachmentid=1812101&stc=1&d=1376345469

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Welcome dude!

I think my favorite teacher (Jarrett Davis) still teaches at Mass Art. I have no idea what course he is teaching there, but if you get the opportunity take one of his classes. He will be the hardest teacher you ever had, but one of the best.

Personally, I would spend your earlier years at school being a little experimental rather than immediately trying to put a portfolio together for industry work. I would also try and find some illustrators/artists that influence you that are way out side the current trend. Bosma, Wyatt, and Milonogiannis are all great, but much like when James Jean was really exploding, their feel gets copied a lot. Spreading out your influences is the easiest way to make sure you aren't slowly melding into any one of your particular favorite artists. Throw a wrench in there with something really odd, and see where it takes your work.

If you want to go for concept work, you probably want to keep honing your technical skills (perspective, light, form) and do some work that is less about the design and more about translating information. Turn arounds, environments, Story boards, those type of things.

I really enjoy the colors, and it seems like you have some good sensibilities. The flatter illustrations are sort of hard to critique, They are probably more or less what you were getting at, so it's left up to style and taste. The robot and mask show some weaknesses, mostly in really simple things like, not letting your edges get all sloppy, and being more attentive to blending. If you are rushing things, you may want to slow down and see that your work gets a proper polish.

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    When i was at Mass Art i had a HORRIBLE experience. Do they have a digital program yet? i was told when i was there that if you need computers to make it then it is NOT art.
    We did not do well together.

• BegforrainBegforrain Registered User regular
    @ Iruka: Thanks for the lightning fast response! I was lucky enough to have Jarrett for Drawing I and he was by far the most helpful teacher I had there. Seriously, the guy really knew his stuff. I can't say the same for a lot of the other foundation teachers I had there, which is a big reason I left (spoilers). I guess I was expecting a little more emphasis on building my technical skill and I just wasn't satisfied with how much I was learning. NakedZergling isn't even exaggerating when he says some teachers don't even consider digital works art. It's very strange considering how open minded everyone there seems... Even some of the students gave me flak on the rare occasion I chose to do a digital piece.

I totally agree with you about being experimental and loose while I still have the freedom to be, and I just happened to choose those artists because they are super-saturating my tumblr feed right now, but that being said there are definitely tens if not hundreds more that are penetrating my eyeballs everyday. Variety is definitely key.

You make a good point about giving extra time to polish it up too. I get caught up in doing a rush job at the end way too often and it could very well be that I'm just impatient about that sort of stuff. That being said I'm trying to be extra careful about this next piece and see that it gets a proper level of refinement. Here's the sketch so far! I don't think I've yet come to terms with perspective though, it sounds a lot easier than it is in practice.

japanstreetfixingperspective_zps6db08978.png

Well, at least you got to learn under Jarrett for a little while, Awesome! So, are you giving up on school completely? if so, I can understand why you would want to focus on portfolio making.

If you want to push your technical skills, Id recommend trying some of the assignments in the Noah's Art Camp thread:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/178745/noah-s-art-camp-ac-group-of-supreme-organization/p1

I'm not sure if you can still sign up and buy the videos from the last class, but you probably already have some Idea of how to do the exercises. If you work stuff like it (master studies, environment studies, still lives) and post them for critique, you will get good feedback and it will help you round out your fundamental and technical skills. These are the kinds of assignments we tend to leave behind when no one is forcing us to, so using the forums to help push you can be a big positive.

If you can find open life drawing classes, thats a good way to stay in school without the frills of a fine arts program. Watts is launching its online courses in a few days: Also a good way to keep up with the fundamentals.

Anyway, awesome to see a new face, here. I hope you keep posting!

Yeah! Great guy. And as of right now I'm not really sure what I want to do about school. My parents are really pushing for me to go college, but at the same time I've read countless artist interviews where they explicitly state that the debt you take on from art school is just going to ruin you. That being said it seems people in the industry are more concerned with the overall quality of your portfolio and not necessarily the degree you have. I just hope I can learn as much from online resources as I would in a college environment.

I'm definitely looking into Noah's Art Camp and this Watt's online course though. These guys seem like they really know what they're talking about. Noah's lecture on freelancing is also super insightful.
    Thanks again for your help!

tumblr_msa1wnfnNm1ryrwkio1_500.png

• nocuddletimenocuddletime Registered User regular
    I think that my favorite here is actually the pink street drawing but all looking pretty good.

93acff97bUk2g.gif
    Thanks for looking, man!

Been messing around with colors and brushes and stuff!

tumblr_mucpbi9hnF1ryrwkio1_1280.png

tumblr_mucpbi9hnF1ryrwkio3_r1_1280.png

tumblr_mucpbi9hnF1ryrwkio2_500.png

Man, colors are weird as heck. but super enjoyable.

tumblr_mufmqio12x1ryrwkio1_1280.png

tumblr_mufmqio12x1ryrwkio2_500.png

tumblr_mufmqio12x1ryrwkio3_500.png

tumblr_mufmqio12x1ryrwkio4_500.png

tumblr_mufmqio12x1ryrwkio5_1280.png

tumblr_mv5buca05S1ryrwkio1_1280.png

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    The Shoe Rubix Cube one is my favorite. Great lighting and texture. Great stuff

Thanks NakedZergling! These still life studies are tough but well worth it!
    Here's s'moreeee

tumblr_mvxdjrI5oB1ryrwkio1_1280.png
    tumblr_mvxdjrI5oB1ryrwkio2_1280.png
    tumblr_mvt4jheEsU1ryrwkio1_1280.png

OH MAN!!!! Another sexy bit of artsy from begforrain. Your skills are insane!!

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    some excellent compositions in here start to finish. keep up the badassery man.

Whoa, thanks a lot guys! I'm really glad you guys have taken an interest in my stuff. I enjoy the community you guys have carved out for yourselves here!
    AND AWAY.

tumblr_mw827rAA6L1ryrwkio1_1280.png
    tumblr_mwa0fszN011ryrwkio1_1280.png
    tumblr_mwa0gwxwSj1ryrwkio1_1280.png
    finishedstilllife3progress_zpsdd577477.png
    tumblr_mwfifi3cRG1ryrwkio1_1280.png

We're happy to have you!

Man I wish I had some crits for you on the environments, because I know something is flattening them out, but I am not skilled enough in it myself to tell you what. A combination of better differentiating of fore/middle/background and some more context clues for scale.
    This one is working alright:
    http://31.media.tumblr.com/c2133ad72c0248e2ff250e01f8fc1848/tumblr_mw827rAA6L1ryrwkio1_1280.png

But the yellow one with the space ship, Your brush strokes for the grass on the far left are about the same size as the strokes for the foreground on the right, which sort of kills the illusion. Little things like that can make a huge difference.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Your still life stuff is amazing. They have a lot of style, which is really hard to accomplish with still life!

Iruka: You're definitely right about the need for differentiating between the planes . I think part of the problem is I tend to start with a pretty abstract sketch and then try to make it "feel" like an environment however I can. I'll definitely start paying more attention to this spatial stuff at the very start so i don't end up feeling confused myself.

Bombardier: Thanks a bunch! I think I owe a lot of it to playing around with different brushes. It's funny how they transform into a vocabulary of sorts.

tumblr_mwwatmVyJY1ryrwkio1_500.png
    tumblr_mx7ereoGvJ1ryrwkio1_500.png
    tumblr_mx3hp1u8mH1ryrwkio1_500.png

Futzed around with making custom brushes today! I highly recommend it to anyone who's been too afraid to ( I have been until today!).

tumblr_mxyioanNkY1ryrwkio2_1280.png
    tumblr_mxyioanNkY1ryrwkio1_1280.png
    tumblr_mxzehtvkXJ1ryrwkio1_1280.png
    tumblr_mxyvv1DjMP1ryrwkio1_500.gif

Photo study week at ye olde art campe!

PhotoStudy20_zps868f01db.jpg
    tumblr_myslnp0xfz1ryrwkio1_500.png
    tumblr_myslnp0xfz1ryrwkio3_500.png
    tumblr_myslnp0xfz1ryrwkio4_1280.png
    tumblr_myslnp0xfz1ryrwkio2_1280.png
    tumblr_myslnp0xfz1ryrwkio7_1280.png
    tumblr_myslnp0xfz1ryrwkio6_400.png
    tumblr_myslnp0xfz1ryrwkio9_400.png
    tumblr_mz0may5hMy1ryrwkio1_1280.png
    tumblr_mz0may5hMy1ryrwkio2_1280.png
    tumblr_mz23usAP321ryrwkio1_1280.png
    PhotoStudy28_zps66fc86bb.jpg
    tumblr_mz23usAP321ryrwkio2_500.png

Your color is really tops. I'd love to see you push a few things to more completed work/illustrations.

Aww hey thanks. And I'd definitely like to get in the habit of doing a more completed work for every few sketches that I do. I think Noah talks about bringing stuff to a more refined level in his week 12 video, so I'm interested to hear what he has to say about that.
    This week was materials! Going off your advice I tried to hone in on two of the studies instead of doing a lot of quick ones.

tumblr_mzd30tarCf1ryrwkio1_500.jpg
    tumblr_mzgq98RTGq1ryrwkio1_500.jpg

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2014
    Dat armor :^: :^:

Angel_of_Bacon on
    Thanks man! I felt really good about that one.

I can't believe I never thought of doing thumbnails before starting a piece. I always thought I could just wing it. I feel like my sense of composition is really starting to improve after doing about a hundred of these. Here's some of the better ones.

tumblr_n0ggb2vy1h1ryrwkio1_1280.png
    tumblr_n0hsuiLmw51ryrwkio1_1280.png

Now I actually have stuff to work with instead of trying to just pull stuff out of the aether. FEELS GOOD.

Thumbnails are a really good habit that I need to get into. Those look cool, especially the last few.

Thanks Iruka! Yeah, I highly recommend doing them. There's something really satisfying about how immediate the process is when you're working this small. It becomes a lot easier to spot your good ideas quickly.

Here's some colored thumbnails that I'll try to take to a finish in my FINAL WEEK OF ART CAMP.

tumblr_n0v8omwldi1ryrwkio1_1280.png

And some more master studies!
    tumblr_n0v8j24EJK1ryrwkio1_400.png
    tumblr_n0v8j24EJK1ryrwkio2_500.png
    tumblr_n0v8j24EJK1ryrwkio3_1280.png

Shouts out to Noah Bradley for teaching me a thing or two about a thing or two! I think I'm gonna start structuring weeks for myself from now on based on what I think I'm weakest at. That sounds like a smart thing to do. Here's some stuff!

tumblr_n15u62QAVU1ryrwkio2_1280.png
    tumblr_n19dyfQdIq1ryrwkio1_1280.png

Dang, I think I need to find some other video-based methods of learning. Art is feeling really daunting to me lately now that I don't have a clear focus for each week. Here's some studies.

tumblr_n1ub2ivWc61ryrwkio2_500.png
    tumblr_n1ub2ivWc61ryrwkio1_500.png
    tumblr_n1ub2ivWc61ryrwkio3_1280.png
    tumblr_n1vwii1pIM1ryrwkio1_1280.png
    FaceStudy3_zps50bb5d5e.png
    Also a banner for my band Glitch Blossom
    Glitch-Blossom-Stars_zps2cb1fd9f.gif

imaginative stuff

zr11hbh5wpq3.png

tumblr_n2ckv9wugE1ryrwkio1_1280.png

Photo studies

tumblr_n28xh3U2z01ryrwkio1_1280.png
    q3wu5gxn38su.png

UPDATE! I feel like I'm improving! I've been doing that pixel lovely figure drawing stuff a lot and I feel like those quick studies really force to me to be confident when i put down strokes. I also just got one of those fancy 13hd cintiq tablets for my birthday and it's goddamn amazing. I'm stunned my bamboo lasted for over 5 years. Any who!

tumblr_n2nuwyP37k1ryrwkio1_1280.png

tumblr_n2pssvs4QD1ryrwkio1_500.png

tumblr_n2ym19OBWg1ryrwkio1_500.png

tumblr_n34h6nwnNh1ryrwkio3_500.png

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Love those buildings, very neat balance between nature and artifice!

The cars are really nice. Is the 13hd enough space for you to paint?

Thanks tapeslinger! I love the idea of man-made things being reclaimed by nature. I'd like to start doing more complex architectural design, but I think this was a good start.

Compared to what I was working with before, it's really ample space to work in, at least for me. But, I will say that I haven't really done any "painting" with it so far due to the fact that the colors on the 13HD display are noticeably different from the ones on my Macbook Pro. I think this might just be something I have to fiddle with in the settings. I haven't really taken the time to exactly figure out what's wrong. It's been great for drawing though! I find myself able to make more sweeping arm movements rather than working from my wrist. I'm definitely struggling less to get the lines I want whereas with the bamboo I'd be constantly hitting undo until I got it right. It's tight!

DANG it's been awhile. I just got a full time job at this whole food store, so I haven't had as much time to draw lately, but I'm still kicking!

4wx80ndgvfsk.png

tumblr_n3ol19lQmt1ryrwkio1_500.png

tumblr_n3w1e0xTYh1ryrwkio1_500.png
    kz8fu94lms0u.png

And a photostudy!
    tumblr_n3s6ciTLek1ryrwkio1_500.png

Also some computational art! I'm reading this book called creative coding and computational art and it's really helping me learn about programming without being too overwhelming. I'm making it my goal to finish a video game by the end of the summer.

mbumb3ysj35s.gif