As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Killzone] Shadow Falls in 3 days.

DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
edited November 2013 in Games and Technology
First attempt at a thread, so cut me some slack here.

Anyways, Killzone Shadow Fall, a launch title for PS4, debuted a new multiplayer trailer today. In addition, here are some lovely screenshots (saw em at Neogaf first, so credit where credit is due). They are pretty monstrously large, so I'll link one or two, but leave the rest to the site. Here's the first:
v3WQtiU.jpg
and the second:
NPHJAYf.jpg

What did everyone think about the Customizeable Warzones? They look extremely impressive to me at first glance and has shot my hype for Shadowfall to the #1 game I'm looking forward to this Fall.

I've just got my hands on the Mercenary Beta myself and I wound up spending at least an hour longer than I meant to. I'll admit my hands were a little cramped, but I actually have a grip for my PS vita, which has helped immensely on the comfort level. Found the Mercenary Beta very very enjoyable so far, should be open to all PS Plus users and anyone who did the fetch quest in PS home around E3, your codes should work now. It's just 1 map, but I think most/all the weapons are there.

Anyways, this is a topic to discuss Shadow Fall and Mercenary, both upcoming installments in the Killzone franchise.

Psn ID list for shadow fall:
Drakieon
DrSkullnumbers
Toids42
CoJoe
Vacorsis

Psn ID list for Mercenary:
Drakieon

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
Drakeon on

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    GAF is back up and someone linked this: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_gc_killzone_shadow_fall_new_screens-14450_en.html

Lots of pics.

The Warzone stuff interest me. I'm still undecided on a console but I wonder if can recreate the Stockade mode from Ghost Recon: FS. The high lethality of that mode was superb.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    If they can rekindle the magic that was KZ2 MP, sign me the hell up.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    If they can rekindle the magic that was KZ2 MP, sign me the hell up.

Well they have the director of kz2 mp helming this one, so hopefully something close to it.

From the official website, regarding shadow falls multiplayer:
    Just like in the single player campaign, Killzone: Shadow Fall’s multiplayer gives you the freedom to play the game exactly how you want. Using the new customizable Warzone features demonstrated in the trailer, you can pick the number of players (4-24), rules, mission modes, classes, abilities and weapons you want to allow in a match, then save these choices as a preset to share with the rest of the Shadow Fall community.

With an ever-evolving selection of Warzone presets, you’ll have no trouble finding fresh and challenging online matches in Killzone: Shadow Fall. In addition, the community team will regularly highlight interesting new Warzone presets and introduce new options to customize and play with by means of expansion packs.

That’s not all, of course – we’ve worked hard to make sure Killzone: Shadow Fall will be a fun, competitive multiplayer experience that’s easy to get into, but difficult to master. There are now eight different rotating mission modes, four of which are new to Killzone: Shadow Fall. The game has three classes with unique abilities and 22 different weapons – all unlocked from the get-go, so you can determine for yourself how and in which order you want to specialize.

We’ve also redesigned our progression system to work with challenges rather than XP. There are over 1500 increasingly difficult challenges to complete in Killzone: Shadow Fall multiplayer, so you’ll have plenty of opportunity to prove your skills and collect rewards. To increase longevity even further, we plan to continue support for the title well after launch – and yes, DLC multiplayer maps will be released free of charge to ensure everyone can play.

• exisexis Registered User regular
    This is the one thing that has me contemplating a launch-day PS4. Killzone 2 multiplayer was absolute gold.

And with the limited number of available PS4 games we should see a pretty healthy multi community. I mean, where else will they go? :p

Battlefield 4. That's the Option. Capital "O".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xaIv7Wo1A

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• exisexis Registered User regular
    Pfft, like anyone plays that thing.
    Oh my god I forgot BF4 was out at the same time I'm now twice as excited for November.

There's cod and bf4 as competition. Hoping that since it's a launch game, it'll still have a healthy online community.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Pfft, like anyone plays that thing.
    Oh my god I forgot BF4 was out at the same time I'm now twice as excited for November.

I dunno... I've seen some negative early impressions regarding the PS4 version of BF4.

Definitely getting Shadow Fall, though.

Perhaps we should have a PSN ID list of names in the OP of people definitely getting the game? This way we can get PA games going and wreck faces.

I'm assuming that your PSN ID will just transfer over to PS4.

Anyway:

PSN: DrSkullnumbers

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Killzone 2 multiplayer is about 90% of my playtime on my Playstation as a PC gamer for the most part. It's about the only game where there seemed to be some sort of negative mouse acceleration (or whatever the controller equivalent was) and it didn't make the game worse but instead add a ton of weight and chaos to the gunplay.

Killzone is a series I desperately wished was on PC, so badly.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    We've been talking about it in the Vita thread, but Mercenary is pretty solid. It's just one multi map and gameplay style available in the beta, but it is amazing how they managed to get that on a handheld.

Losing vanguards when you die sucks though. Especially if you get capped right after obtaining one.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I want to try Mercenary out, but I fear my hands would wither and die...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Killzone just went from a launch purchase for me to an on-sale purchase. I am going on vacation with about 8 other friends this December and I was going to bring my shiny new PS4 and Killzone for split screen awesomeness. No split screen what so ever has just been confirmed by the devs...

I'd been planning this for a while... sad panda. :(

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited August 2013
    Killzone just went from a launch purchase for me to an on-sale purchase. I am going on vacation with about 8 other friends this December and I was going to bring my shiny new PS4 and Killzone for split screen awesomeness. No split screen what so ever has just been confirmed by the devs...

I'd been planning this for a while... sad panda. :(

We can't have our next-gen game looking like a current-gen one because it has to split its rendering power in half, now can we?
    Yeah that sucks, but I imagine split screen will become more and more rare, even with all that next-gen power. Visuals are a big reason early on for people to jump to the new generation, and split screen directly undermines that.

CarbonFire on
    Oh ho ho, if you purchase and equip a Vanguard and have it charge, then pick up one of the package insertion Vanguards, you can use your equipped one right after the one you pick up.

Back to back Sky Furies made a few people on the opposing team rage quit, I think.

I pulled that off twice in a match, as well as a bunch of other random vanguard/sky fury combos.

Also, and I'm sure it was unrelated to my vanguard shenanigans, if everyone on the opposing team quits, the match is cut short to auto victory!

Played a bunch more Mercenary today. Love this game. Anyone know if mics will be on in retail and if there's an option to turn them on in beta?

Saw this article from Polygon yesterday, had an interesting note about Multiplayer: They are talking about adding in weapons and character classes as paid DLC. Now, all maps will be free, if anyone was unaware before. Which is fantastic, if you ask me, as it'll avoid fragmenting the playerbase, a huge issue with most modern FPS's like Halo, CoD or Battlefield who all have multiple map packs out.

Microtransactions instead of map packs. Pretty good idea, different from BF4's Premium model.

Of course, that could hamper Warzones that only use certain classes.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Microtransactions instead of map packs. Pretty good idea, different from BF4's Premium model.

Of course, that could hamper Warzones that only use certain classes.

I think it'll ultimately end up with less fragmentation than with Map Packs, so I think on the whole, it's still a good thing.

Excellent point.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I'm still playing Mercenary beta multi. I've hit a sweet spot where the game is just good times. Can't wait until the game releases.

Lot of people still don't seem to understand how to score in Warzones though. And Hacking just plain confuses people, oh well. The tutorial for hacking is in SP so it probably won't be as bad later.

I'm still playing Mercenary beta multi. I've hit a sweet spot where the game is just good times. Can't wait until the game releases.

Lot of people still don't seem to understand how to score in Warzones though. And Hacking just plain confuses people, oh well. The tutorial for hacking is in SP so it probably won't be as bad later.

Yeah, Interrogation is frustrating as hell, because i switch to my tranq gun and then my allies run up and kill the guy I was going to interrogate. And hacking also still confuses people, but im fine with getting the Vanguards for myself :D

Yeah, you don't need the tranq gun but damn if it doesn't make that phase a whole lot faster and easier. Love it.

Last night this one guy on my team just could not get the hacking. We had numerical superiority so there was plenty of opportunity, and I often stood guard while he tried to hack. He'd eventually give up and I'd just boop-beep right after him. Must've been driving him crazy.

Also the sniper rifles aren't bad at all. I look forward to more range-friendly maps though.

edited August 2013
    I have only tried Mercenary and Supply armors, but Supply seems amazing, it (slowly) charges your vanguard power and gives you approximately 5x the ammo for your main and secondary guns, giving you 4 frags or 2 proximitys (only ones ive tried it with).

PS Blog posted a Killzone SF hands on.

Some notes: L2/R2 to aim/shoot, but you can switch it back if you prefer L1/R1, Aim Assist is out, and it sounds like they still have unlocks in the form of scopes/etc, but all weapons are unlocked at the start (if I'm reading it right).

Drakeon on
    The Infiltrator armor let's you run around and not be a big red target to enemy Sky Furies.

You can still see them running around but it can be a bit trickier to target them when they're being all sneaky in that armor.

I've been running into people using ballistic armor lately and it plays hell on using low damage smgs.

• DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    I have the Killzone/PS4 combo preordered on Amazon-I wouldn't say it looks better or worse than Battlefield 4 as a game, but I figure since they're developing for only the PS4 instead the PS3 as well, this will probably have more "that couldn't have been done on the old console" moments due to less shared resources between the generations.

PSN Id: Toids42

XBL - ArchSilversmith

The Black Hand do sound pretty cool. Really hope to see a lot of the Helghan Shadow Marshall type, the lady, forgot her name. I'd still rather be playing as her, but I'll take what I can get.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Got a chance to try some of the other multi maps now that Mercenary is out. Amazingly, I think Shoreline (from the beta) might be one of the smaller maps. There are some huge stonking maps, and they spread out vertically quite a bit more than you'd expect. The potency of Sky Fury is really gonna be negated with the amount of cover the multi-tiered maps provide.

I still have some issues with connecting, but once I get in a game I'm solid for match after match until I quit. Otherwise things are running pretty nicely!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

So purty. Day 1 Purchase: Reconfirmed.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited September 2013
    Interested to see Guerilla's take on Horde mode. Not sure I'll bite yet, want to see how much i enjoy MP first.

For the lazy, from the above link
    As you can tell we’re pulling out all the stops for Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer, and we already have a several forms of downloadable content planned for extensive post-launch multiplayer support. In addition to new competitive multiplayer maps – which, as we mentioned before, will be released for free – we’re also working on paid expansion packs that will further enhance your online experience.
    To help you save on the first six expansion packs, we’re introducing the Killzone Shadow Fall Season Pass. For just £15.99/€19.99, you will receive access to the following packs as they become available:

Online co-op expansion pack
    Focusing on team play and intense combat, the online co-op expansion pack adds a new co-operative game mode in which you and up to three online friends must survive against impossible odds. Fight waves upon waves of enemies in four new arena maps, featuring a unique leveling system and new unlocks.
    Three online co-op map packs
    Each map pack consists of two brand-new arena maps you can play in co-op mode with your friends. Please note that these arena maps will only work with the online co-op expansion pack.
    Two additional multiplayer expansion packs
    We’ll reveal more about these additional multiplayer expansion packs when Killzone Shadow Fall’s launch date nears. Suffice to say they’ll offer many hours of additional multiplayer thrills!
    But that’s not all – if you get your Season Pass for day one of Killzone Shadow Fall, you will also receive access to an exclusive OWL combat drone skin and a unique Multiplayer Spotlight move. Take advantage of this excellent value deal to maximize your online experience!

Drakeon on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

edited September 2013
    Pictures of all 3 classes (for multiplayer), from that presentation (shamelessly stolen from NeoGAF):

otVJDsE.png
    z7bNlxw.png
    sIYmomd.png

Also plenty of pictures of maps.

Drakeon on
    Nice, support gets underbarrel attachments.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

XBL - ArchSilversmith

XBL - ArchSilversmith