As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go find the new Shadowrun thread, this one has been hacked by elves

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I had Isobel as my hacker and breezed through pretty much all the hacking parts. Maybe I bought an extra couple of improved programs for her or something later in the game, but I just stealthed my way through the majority of the hacking and it was probably a good bit faster than trying to fight.

Only the very last sequence was a bit of a challenge, but I'm pretty sure there's stuff in that mission that makes it easier to get through that hacking sequence (which I did use), if you find it on the way to that part.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I had Isobel as my hacker and breezed through pretty much all the hacking parts. Maybe I bought an extra couple of improved programs for her or something later in the game, but I just stealthed my way through the majority of the hacking and it was probably a good bit faster than trying to fight.

Only the very last sequence was a bit of a challenge, but I'm pretty sure there's stuff in that mission that makes it easier to get through that hacking sequence (which I did use), if you find it on the way to that part.

I seem to remember that I could've done something to make that level easier, but it offended my delicate morality or something.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    it took a while but I finished that one without needing to reload. but people also had a tough time with APEX in dragonfall and I got that one first try so what I'm saying here is get on my level

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I never had any issue using Is0bel either, yeah

And IIRC, she has at least a few unique hacking options that PCs never gain access to that largely make her a better decker than a PC decker

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    You could also buy stuff for Is0bel to use, I guess. Though with money being how it is, I doubt that there's a net gain in that strat.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    With how weird the game was about stuff you put into party members inventory, I never bothered.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    If you ace all the stealth parts it's not too bad but the pc can get a much better deck and more movement points and such which helps if you screw up.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I'm playing Dragonfall atm, got the +2 intelligence head cyberware and stuck a datajack in my arm instead of the head but I can't seem to use my deck or smartlink weapons now.

Any ideas?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Is it wrong that in Shadowrun HK, even when I am playing a magic based character, I will cheat and give them enough karma to deck well, just so that I can run with Gaichu?

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Give your decker Mono filament whip. They are like magic in that they shred everything in an area.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It's almost tradition in RPGs that the default rogue is not that skilled. Izzy in HK is ok + she has a grenade launcher.

But hacking and/or lockpicking is more comfortable when the main character's stats are backing the rolls and checks.

Just my opinion.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    If you spec everything on is0bel towards Decking and not combat she does perfectly fine, even on the hardest difficulty.

I went full combat-mage PC for both of my playthroughs and once you hit higher karma levels the rest of your squad becomes superfluous because you're soloing entire encounters in 1-2 turns. Dragon Lines are ridiculously powerful.

I mean combat is more comfortable when your pc is an expert shooter too

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This is my attempt to encapsulate how the progression of being a Mage has gone throughout the years.
    C5KqjFCVYAE3Ewp.jpg

In short: Hong Kong hates Mages and wants them to die screaming.

wVEsyIc.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    This is my attempt to encapsulate how the progression of being a Mage has gone throughout the years.
    C5KqjFCVYAE3Ewp.jpg

I dunno what happened to you in your playthrough but Mages are by far at their most powerful in Hong Kong. Dragon Lines are absolutely ridiculous.

What is your mage loadout @cj iwakura

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    C5KqjFCVYAE3Ewp.jpg

I dunno what happened to you in your playthrough but Mages are by far at their most powerful in Hong Kong. Dragon Lines are absolutely ridiculous.

You never needed them in the previous two though. It feels like everything else was nerfed.
    38thDoe wrote: »
    What is your mage loadout @cj iwakura

I'll get a screen later.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    To be fair, Hong Kong IS supposed to be pretty hostile to mages, especially non-native ones. All of the corporations engage in some amount of Feng Shui and have messed with the ley lines in the area, so Hong Kong is one of the few heavily-populated places in Shadowrun that also is subject to pretty nasty Wild Magic, similar to the campuses of some of the more prestigious magical universities (due to constant student vandalism, rivalries between schools + pranks, and experimentation). Geomancers are in high demand to help "cleanse" the background count of areas so that magic can actually function properly. The only places that are generally worse are contamination zones like Bug City or SOX.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I posted my mage setup back here cj, it blew everything up.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/36147250/#Comment_36147250

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited February 2017
    I don't have a screen but my Mage was Cha 6/Summoning 3, Willpower 9/Spellcasting 9 (with 2 of the totems that give +1/+1 - getting up to 11/11 makes you a real powerhouse), Body 6 Cyberware Affinity 6 (for +2 Essence, which let me use the +6% accuracy eyes and the extra AP ware), and the rest dumped into Quickness and Ranged Combat.

Spells were Flamethrower III (IV is not worth it with the added cooldown), Chain Lightning II, Ball Lightning I (II is not worth it with the added AP), Fireball III (this could be something else easily though - the ongoing damage is basically null with armor in late game), Lightning Bolt III, and Mana Ball III. Throw on Power Bolt IV when you get the cash. Something important to keep in mind is that Hong Kong is really stingy with cash, so you don't want to buy the best available spell at all times. I made do with just Fireball I, Ball Lightning I, and Chain Lightning I for a long time until I could get the versions I wanted for endgame.

I had Gobbet throw Haste and Aim on my mage, activated the AP ware, and just ran onto the biggest Dragon Line I could find. Was usually able to kill or severely damage + reduce AP on most or all enemies immediately on turn 1, and then easily mop up on turn 2.

3cl1ps3 on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Finally started playing these, can't believe they sat in my library this long since the Kickstarter... Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall (awesome!), and now on to Hong Kong.

I'm being silly in that I am using the same character from Dead Man's Switch all the way through (I use the command console to build up my Adept up to where it was at the end of the last campaign I finished).

Any suggestions on good campaigns from the Steam workshop after I am done Hong Kong (and its bonus)?

steam_sig.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Exceedingly late to the party on this one. I've had the game and the expansions on Steam forever, but only just started playing.

Yes, this will do nicely. A total nostalgia trip back to high school, both in terms of pen & paper and the Genesis game. I'm excited to see where the Ripper murders go, and, well, just everything else the game has to offer. I'm also excited to see what Harebrained Schemes does with the Battletech license.

I'm thinking of doing a LP of Dead Man's Switch once I finish Hong Kong, thought it might be a fun interactive romp.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Exceedingly late to the party on this one. I've had the game and the expansions on Steam forever, but only just started playing.

Yes, this will do nicely. A total nostalgia trip back to high school, both in terms of pen & paper and the Genesis game. I'm excited to see where the Ripper murders go, and, well, just everything else the game has to offer. I'm also excited to see what Harebrained Schemes does with the Battletech license.
    Its fine that you're enjoying DMS but just keep in mind, its practically a test demo compared to Dragonfall.

Dragonfall is in a whole nother league.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    deadman's switch was good enough that I immediately bought dragonfall

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    The only reason I'm looking forward to battle tech is because I loved shadow run.

Dead Man's Switch is perfectly fun.

Dragonfall and Hong Kong are genuinely excellent.

DMS has some of my favorite NPCs in the series. Inspired great short stories, too. (I'm so glad I backed that tier.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    DMS has some of my favorite NPCs in the series. Inspired great short stories, too. (I'm so glad I backed that tier.)

I really did like dms and it was so short there wasn't any real dead space plot wise so I enjoyed it a lot.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Finally started playing these, can't believe they sat in my library this long since the Kickstarter... Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall (awesome!), and now on to Hong Kong.

I'm being silly in that I am using the same character from Dead Man's Switch all the way through (I use the command console to build up my Adept up to where it was at the end of the last campaign I finished).

Any suggestions on good campaigns from the Steam workshop after I am done Hong Kong (and its bonus)?

@CanadianWolverine just so you know, the Workshop campaigns treat all three games separately (because each game added/removed assets) so you'll need to dig around in Returns, Dragonfall, and HK to find all of them. I'll try to remember what comes from where.

Returns
    Nightmare Harvest - a short solo campaign with a film noir feel, influenced by Dashiell Hammet's novel "Red Harvest" (aka A Fistful of Dollars/Yojimbo). The modder does some really cool work turning the game into an open-world mystery and I kind of wish the later official games had learned from what he accomplished here. Parts of it actually feel a bit like Deus Ex, where you can try different approaches to different missions in different orders.

Dragonfall
    The Penumbra Saga - a well-written, lengthy, and challenging full campaign, with companions and side quests and etc, taking place during a war for control of Northern California and San Francisco. It has non-linear mission selection, a somewhat branching plot, some nifty and pretty memorable characters, and tough, high-octane combat.

Hong Kong
    The Caldedcott Caper - a shorter but very well-written campaign by the creators of the Penumbra Saga and serving as a sequel to that story.

There are a few other good ones whose names don't occur to me right now. The Steam Workshop ratings are generally a useful guide.

rRwz9.gif
    I'm glad those are still a thing. Maybe there's still time to figure out how to make one.

wVEsyIc.png

@CanadianWolverine just so you know, the Workshop campaigns treat all three games separately (because each game added/removed assets) so you'll need to dig around in Returns, Dragonfall, and HK to find all of them. I'll try to remember what comes from where.

Returns
    Nightmare Harvest - a short solo campaign with a film noir feel, influenced by Dashiell Hammet's novel "Red Harvest" (aka A Fistful of Dollars/Yojimbo). The modder does some really cool work turning the game into an open-world mystery and I kind of wish the later official games had learned from what he accomplished here. Parts of it actually feel a bit like Deus Ex, where you can try different approaches to different missions in different orders.

Dragonfall
    The Penumbra Saga - a well-written, lengthy, and challenging full campaign, with companions and side quests and etc, taking place during a war for control of Northern California and San Francisco. It has non-linear mission selection, a somewhat branching plot, some nifty and pretty memorable characters, and tough, high-octane combat.

Hong Kong
    The Caldedcott Caper - a shorter but very well-written campaign by the creators of the Penumbra Saga and serving as a sequel to that story.

There are a few other good ones whose names don't occur to me right now. The Steam Workshop ratings are generally a useful guide.

Thank you, thank you so much for this response Jacob <3

steam_sig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    You bet! It's my pleasure. I love seeing this thread continue to get posts.

rRwz9.gif
    edited March 2017
    I didn't know some missions were time sensitive? While I was on the Wuxing run, someone left an email saying 'forget it, I handled it myself' in regards to another mission.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Whoa, really? That's wild.

rRwz9.gif
    It's just one thing in particular that's time sensitive:
    At some point Strangler Bao will send you an email about Maximum Law shooting his mouth off about your running activities. Bao asks you to handle it, at which point you can convince Law to stop (easily) or kill him. If you ignore it, Bao just goes and kills Law.

At some point Strangler Bao will send you an email about Maximum Law shooting his mouth off about your running activities. Bao asks you to handle it, at which point you can convince Law to stop (easily) or kill him. If you ignore it, Bao just goes and kills Law.

Times in Hong Kong are a-changin'
    I felt bad for Maximum, he was running his mouth for sure but so was my character, he wouldn't have been able to run their mouth if not for my actions. But he was the one catching the heat for it. So it was easy enough for me to chat him up before I headed out on my next run. Got lucky I guess.

Did you find you didn't talk to all the characters of the dock between each mission? It seems they only stop having something new to say really close to the final run, I thought there was a lot of nice work put in by Harebrained to flesh out the characters of the dock, even a few one timers I hope you didn't miss like the Shadowrunner Nanny from the Philippines.

steam_sig.png
    I obsessively talked to every NPC I could find after every single mission.

• rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Chilling with Ambrose was half the reason I was doing missions.

That's the one.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.