As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV:ARR] Servers Up!, and surprisingly stable! 7 free days starting 9/4/13

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    Nyht wrote: »
    So does the Paladin/Gladiator getting any self heals for tanking or is it all damage mitigation? I always liked my tanks having some self sustainment through heals.

Well when you are GLA you can get plenty of healing from cross class skills.

During the server weirdness, my friend and I have ended up with our healer gone in dungeons and we still completed them just fine with both of us just toss me a heal now and then.

Also for FATES that require a boss tanked, I've done many now where no healer is there or heals me and I do just fine having cross class skills to heal.

Convalescence + bloodbath/second wind is great. Also just having heal from CNJ is great since GLA get tons of mana return if they need.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    even at this time the server is full. how is that even possible

Multiboxing rmt firms? Who knows. My money is on them not having an architecture that allows for scalable provisioning of compute machines to servers, and saying "Eh, why provision for launch conditions. Demand will reduce by X after the first month, we should just plan for that to save money"

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I'm not having money problems at all. I just try to at least make some money after I teleport before teleporting again, but I tend to stick around for a while when I teleport to make it count.

I'm considering favoriting the three main cities for now. Seems to be useful when crafting/gathering so I can easily turn in and get new quests.

• Options
    charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    So server issues are still plaguing the game since last night? Still waiting to purchase, but tomorrow is launch and wouldn't mind getting in on that pre-order hat or companion...

4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Right but you have to assume, if its this bad on a Sunday night or a Monday morning during Early Access, what is launch going to look like?

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Nyht wrote: »
    So does the Paladin/Gladiator getting any self heals for tanking or is it all damage mitigation? I always liked my tanks having some self sustainment through heals.

Well when you are GLA you can get plenty of healing from cross class skills.

During the server weirdness, my friend and I have ended up with our healer gone in dungeons and we still completed them just fine with both of us just toss me a heal now and then.

Also for FATES that require a boss tanked, I've done many now where no healer is there or heals me and I do just fine having cross class skills to heal.

Convalescence + bloodbath/second wind is great. Also just having heal from CNJ is great since GLA get tons of mana return if they need.

I might end up doing that or going the route the other gentleman mentioned and just picking up warrior. This all still assuming I don't go scholar.

I thought I was fine with Bards losing support for more dps but honestly the more I think about it and play, the more regular dps is kind of boring me. Well that and the 35 minute queues.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Head's up. Magitek Armor moubt is a reward for beating the very last and final story mission.

The story itself took a max level character doing only it 30 hours to do, and they said it was better than CoP's.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    So as much as I appreciate getting gil from questing, the amounts seem rather minor. Do you get more from later quests? What's a good way to stock up on/save gil?

Don't teleport often

Does this include using the Aethernet in one town? I haven't seen anything that says those cost gil.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    So as much as I appreciate getting gil from questing, the amounts seem rather minor. Do you get more from later quests? What's a good way to stock up on/save gil?

Don't teleport often

Does this include using the Aethernet in one town? I haven't seen anything that says those cost gil.

No just the teleport skill.

So like, I didn't even know that skill existed until level ~20 or so. As a result I am sitting pretty on like 13k gil, and I have literally never sold a single item yet.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Head's up. Magitek Armor moubt is a reward for beating the very last and final story mission.

The story itself took a max level character doing only it 30 hours to do, and they said it was better than CoP's.

Oh. So that is where that mount came from. I saw a guy riding one by me and I was going, "What the hell!?!".

• Options

Don't teleport often

Those are free.

But using the Teleport action does cost gil, and it'll let you know how much beside each destination. Teleporting farther costs more, and setting an Aetheryte crystal as a favorite reduces the cost by a percentage.

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular

I saw that. Sadly I was hoping that it was going to be more challenging then that. Requiring mutliple people and multiple professions and drops that could only be obtained very rarely through gathering professions. Ahh well.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I was just about to post this. Dude had lot's of very good things to say about the story. It's gonna be funny though once everyone has the magitech armor. I'll prolly just stick to Choco .....

• Options
    Oh question, when the hell do I finally get my chickenhorse?

• Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular

Around level 20 quests of the main storyline, once you join a GC. You have to collect 2000 tokens to get a license, but it doesn't take all that long. I was getting around 70-100 a fate.

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular

level 20, join a grand company (which IIRC, means following story quests) and then earn enough seals to buy it. Not sure how it'll work for those of us that get a free mount through buying the CE.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Sure hope I can play this game for the first time since beta 3 when I get home from work in a couple hours... Slightly reassuring to see a few pages of conversation in this thread about something other than inability to play.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

After you join a Grand Company. Which is after you take down an awesome boss.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    I got my ChocoFluffs last night but never did figure how you were suppost to summon him as a mount.

• Options

level 20, join a grand company (which IIRC, means following story quests) and then earn enough seals to buy it. Not sure how it'll work for those of us that get a free mount through buying the CE.

From forum posts it seems like you can't use the CE mount until you unlock the Chocobo license. I'm stuck at work though so I can't confirm.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    Does anyone know if protect stacks - like if I'm in a party and the healer casts protect and then I cast protect am I now super-protected?

On top of this I too have a general question about Protect.

Is it a flat +% increase or is it based off of the caster's Mind stat?

I think it's flat but conj gets a passive enhanced protect skill

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So, it seems like I need to join a Grand Company then? Is that what you guys are trying to tell me?

Rend on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I got my ChocoFluffs last night but never did figure how you were suppost to summon him as a mount.

Use the 'chocobo whistle' in your inventory then go to your abilities and traits window and then click on the 'mounts' tab, then drag the summon button on to your bar.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    Does anyone know if protect stacks - like if I'm in a party and the healer casts protect and then I cast protect am I now super-protected?

On top of this I too have a general question about Protect.

Is it a flat +% increase or is it based off of the caster's Mind stat?

I think it's flat but conj gets a passive enhanced protect skill

Pretty sure its a flat 10% physical damage reduction. The CNJ trait adds shell, so +10% magic damage reduction. And no they do not stack, the last person to cast overrides the previous cast.

• Options
    Miniwolf wrote: »

Use the 'chocobo whistle' in your inventory then go to your abilities and traits window and then click on the 'mounts' tab, then drag the summon button on to your bar.

Thank you, I did find the summon button but I never did find the whistle until I was quiting for the night.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Does the gear you get from the GC's differ in a meaningful way in stat allocation? For example, is the gear from the Gridania based GC better for ARC, CNJ, and LNC than the other two? A chart was posted on Imgur of the level 50 gear, http://imgur.com/r/ffxiv/Vp8Xt6Q, but it's not really helping much.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Ishtaar wrote: »

From forum posts it seems like you can't use the CE mount until you unlock the Chocobo license. I'm stuck at work though so I can't confirm.

Yes, once you unlock the Chocobo riding skill the CE mount will be unlocked.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    is there some way to find the next story mission for me? i think i may have lost the story quest thread at some point after i switched from pug to gld and not sure where i'm supposed to go.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    is there some way to find the next story mission for me? i think i may have lost the story quest thread at some point after i switched from pug to gld and not sure where i'm supposed to go.

The Quest Log should do it. Look at the quest you want to do, and click on the Map button.
    OR: In the menu, there's a Recommendations function. It should tell you what quests you have available on your current class.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    Does the gear you get from the GC's differ in a meaningful way in stat allocation? For example, is the gear from the Gridania based GC better for ARC, CNJ, and LNC than the other two? A chart was posted on Imgur of the level 50 gear, http://imgur.com/r/ffxiv/Vp8Xt6Q, but it's not really helping much.

Alternatively, does anyone have pictures of the gear?

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    I'm actually not all that far in the main story but I did complete the Paladin arc yesterday so I could get my AF all set up. I won't spoil anything but the last two quests were really intense and had some fantastic cutscenes and elements! I am wondering what the major content patch being pushed in October will hold for us... finally opening Ishguard? Ala Mihgo explorable? Kitten Mittens? WHO KNOWS! =D

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So, has anyone with the digital collector's edition received their actually CE key yet? I've only received the preorder key they gave me after I entered my first key.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Cormac wrote: »

@Cormac

God that chart looks like it was designed by a 12 year old.

Look at the totals. I trimmed it down a bit so make it easier to read. I didn't include the weapons because that part you can figure out.
    AnTKox1.jpg

I am still trying to figure out what the person felt it necessary to have the stats so far apart. bigger does not make it better.

Miniwolf on
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Got Arcanist to 31 and played with Summoner/Scholar.

You can't command pets while casting, which sucks. Some fight mechanics are immune to debuffs so you're left to your pet and Ruin to kill it. Which is a problem since these might be things you have to kill quickly or wipe.

Summoner plays exactly like Arcanist, except your pet is stronger (higher potency on the auto attack) and you don't get Aero/Protect from Cleric anymore.

Scholar healing is fun. Your pet auto-heals anyone with less than ~80% max health, and they have decent buffs. You don't get an AoE heal until 35 and don't get Esuna till 40 though. Succor 1 is Cure 2 and Succor 2 is Medica, except half the potency goes to a shield. Which is cool since you can precast Succor 1/2 in anticipation of damage instead of just reacting to it, and take less aggro.

Scholars don't get an equivalent to White Mage's Regen, and a Regen is freaking 150 potency per tick HoT. The pet casts heals with a potency of 300, though, which makes up for it, but again Regen is amazing.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »

I was just about to post this. Dude had lot's of very good things to say about the story. It's gonna be funny though once everyone has the magitech armor. I'll prolly just stick to Choco .....

I got one thing to say to that...
    COEURL1.png

XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

The Quest Log should do it. Look at the quest you want to do, and click on the Map button.
    OR: In the menu, there's a Recommendations function. It should tell you what quests you have available on your current class.

i don't have it in my log, i assume i got to the point where i needed to be a level higher to get said quest and then went to level and never came back. i'll try the recommended quests when i get home from work though, every time i looked at it just seemed to be quests nearby not everything, but shrug.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options

i don't have it in my log, i assume i got to the point where i needed to be a level higher to get said quest and then went to level and never came back. i'll try the recommended quests when i get home from work though, every time i looked at it just seemed to be quests nearby not everything, but shrug.

Hm...

Looking at the map doesn't tell you what quests are available there unless you're actually in that area, right? That would be too easy.

• Options

I had the same thing happen to me - I "lost" the quest chain right around when you first travel to the other cities and unlock airships. I found the next part back in the city where I started.

• Options
    Frei wrote: »
    So, has anyone with the digital collector's edition received their actually CE key yet? I've only received the preorder key they gave me after I entered my first key.

You should get it tomorrow. The game officially comes out tomorrow.

Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Alright FFXIVers, fairly longtime ex-FFXI player here. I played the open beta a week ago and now I'm actually having serious thoughts about picking this up. I have a few questions that I was hoping some kindly folk here would be able to answer.

1. Economy - I realize the game is new but even those of you who've been a part of the beta process will hopefully have an idea of how it will play out. FFXI's economy was the first and only one that ever broke me to the point that I actually purchased gil. Yeah I know, but look, when you are straight up ignored/kicked out of leveling parties for not having the right gear, and the only option to get it is to pay literally millions of gil for it on the Auction House because getting it organically means getting a rare drop from a NM that is camped literally every second of every day, you do what you have to do (which eventually became "Move to World of Warcraft", but before that was an option, I bought gil). So! With that said, how does the economy look here? I guess I'm really asking more about viability of craftable goods, quest and dungeon rewards. Is this actually good gear or are the good things dropped by NMs (thus making the AH-based economy my only gearing option)? Which brings me to my next question:

2. Named Mobs - Do they exist? If so, do they drop unique gear? I didn't come across any in my admittedly limited experience with the open beta (only made it to level 15 on my Pugilist), but hopefully if they do exist they don't have ridiculous respawn timers and thus will hopefully not be camped by people 24/7 as those in FFXI were.

3. Grouping - How mandatory is it? I've read that you can level to cap entirely solo, which would be great, but if solo play starts and stops there, that's something I'd like to know before I drop the cash on this. I'm still active in WoW so I'd be splitting time between that and FFXIV, so things like leveling and dungeons would encompass the majority of my time.

4. Pre-Ordering: I was planning on heading to Gamestop today to use a bit of the credit I had on some other purchases and noticed that the CE for this game is pretty inexpensive. Would I still be in time to get the preorder goods or not? This one's not a huge issue, I'm just curious what the official pre-order/launch cutoff is with all the login issues/error message hubbub that's being going on with the game for you early access people.

I see this thread moves pretty fast so thanks to anyone who can answer these for me.

This discussion has been closed.