As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars X-Wing] Wave 7 and New Core in stores! PA Vassal League Season 3 now forming!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    1. Got to fly my Fett+TIE Interceptors list a few times. It's pretty fun, and it feels amazing when one actually flies those TIE's properly and promptly avoids all the arcs with Lorrir and Phennir. Takes a lot of getting used to, and even with thrusters the Interceptors are fragile. Also, Fett is fun to fly and against certain match-ups (Whisper, Dash with HLC) he shines, but against more predictable enemies he becomes lackluster. Considering dropping him and Lorrir for Krassis Trellix w/Mangler and PTL Soontir Fel.

2. I've finally broken down and bought Most Wanted. Right now, this is the list I'm starting to get an itch to try out: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/219285/bonearms-bandits

As I do, like 90% of the time, I went and started trying to find the best way to use a less-than-popular pilot, in this case the wonderfully named Dace Bonearm. I just love busting out with the Eaden Vrill's and Lt. Lorrir's of the world. :)

Anyways, the few who have given him a look seem to go with Greedo, and it makes pretty good sense: Ion Turret's are pretty damned accurate, and all you need to do is tag them once and Bonearm can throw out a hit + crit on an unshielded target. For a TIE, that's potentially a one-shot kill. Most people then throw on Determination because, with Greedo, maybe you make yourself a little tankier. This is where I had some... creativity. I decided to instead go with a good ol' Stealth Device, bringing Bonearm's default agility to 3. Rolling four dice by default if they catch you at range 3 before you close to turret range? I like that.

Serissu (aka, the anti-Dace Bonearm because holy crap have I seen a lot of him. I think only ScumKath and N'Dru Suhlak seem to get more scum play) has simply an amazing ability, allowing Bonearm potentially another re-roll to avoid losing the SD. Throw on a Mangler Cannon and Serissu now becomes capable of also dishing some potentially respectable damage. Not to mention potentially two quasi-guaranteed crits a turn for the team.

Kaa'to Leeachos is mostly there to serve as a super cheap bodyguard, and probably the guy likely to get shot down first every game. Still, Bodyguard can put whoever is in danger at the start of combat (probably Dace Bonearm) and give them an extra defense die to work with. Serissu with four defense dice and an evasion? Bonearm with four defensive dice, a focus, and Serissu's re-roll? And if he's in danger and Serissu isn't, Serissu can pass an evade to Leeachos!

Black Sun Enforcer because... erm... well, StarVipers are pretty tough, hard-hitting ships. No upgrades, but his job is to throw out three attack dice, block, and maybe throw Leeachos the occasional focus if need be. But only thought is that I could replace him with a pair of Headhunters. Two naked Binyare Pirates instead would free up an extra point if I want to put Determination on Bonearm, though I'm starting to worry that would be overkill on trying to defend him (not to mention I'd wager a single StarViper is superior to a pair of Headhunters).

I guess the real question would become what's more important: a Stealth Device or Determination on Dace Bonearm? Because another option would be to trade the SD for Determination, freeing up two points to put something like Autothrusters on the Enforcer or an EPT for Serissu.

Thoughts? Opinions? Outright ridicule?

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Aaand a variant to my Bonearm-centric list: http://xwing-builder.co.uk/view/219626/bonearms-bandits-ver2

Replaced Leeachos with a Ion Warthog Y-Wing, drop some upgrades from Serissu and Bonearm, still have two points to spend if I want. Result is a lot less evasion fun, but a little more HP and red dice per turn (not to mention a second way to trigger Bonearm's ability).

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    So will we be discussing Armada in this thread as well? I ordered a couple core sets today and want to know where I can talk about them when I get them.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    So will we be discussing Armada in this thread as well? I ordered a couple core sets today and want to know where I can talk about them when I get them.
    Go for it!

It should be OK and I doubt it would drown out the X-Wing discussion. It's been asked before, and general consensus was that here would be fine.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    OK, can someone give me an explanation of Intelligence Officer?

When exactly do I look at the movement dial and can they change it afterwards

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    You mean the Intelligence Agent crew card?

It happens at the start of the Activation phase, which would be after the Movement phase has ended after all movement dials are done changing and placed. So the first thing you'd do for the Activation phase is look at their dial, and then go through the standard pilot skill order of revealing dials and activating. If somebody has an ability to change their maneuver they'd do so when activating.

hmm.gif
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    Intelligence Officer only lets you look at an enemy ship's dial at Range 1 or 2. This occurs at the start of the activation phase, before any ships move.

Title updated!

New FAQ, Tournament rules, and tournament rules for Armada!
    https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/26/level-up/

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I tried to view the new FAQ but it said 403 Forbidden.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    so uh, one big errata change:

decloaking now happens at the beginning of the activation phase. Meaning phantoms have to decloak before anyone moves

which makes them a lot less reactive and a lot more planning-intensive, but also gives them the ability to potentially block ships twice in a single turn

they can also decloak when ion'd, now

basically they've been downgraded overall , but in a way that allows them to pull off even weirder moves at low pilot skill levels, and forces the player to plan ahead (or use intelligence agent)

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    That's... quite interesting.
    Decloaking while ion'd is probably a really good thing to. Good change there, I think.

Also the Huge Ship change is... huge (sorry sorry). Just wish I wasn't getting the aforementioned 403

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I'm not sure that is actually a nerf to Big P. It means I can't block decloaks anymore...
    or ion the bastards effectively.

Color me concerned.

• Options
    Oh hey, another noteworthy change!

The stress-causing Debris Cloud tokens included with the Outrider and Decimator are now tournament legal!

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    I'm not sure that is actually a nerf to Big P. It means I can't block decloaks anymore...
    or ion the bastards effectively.

Color me concerned.

it gives you a better idea of where they will ultimately end up, which gives a fighting chance to like...interceptors, b-wings, and anyone else who can reposition well but may not have pilot skill 9+

however this doesn't do much for ships that can't really take any movement actions, like the x-wing

it also forces the phantom to work a little harder at predicting the opposing side's moves, instead of just reacting to them, which is nice.

I'm kind of expecting an x-wing upgrade at some point now, because as-is it's starting to feel outclassed in almost every direction within the rebel roster alone!

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    It does mean I don't need Veteran Instincts on Autoblaster Dash anymore.
    Which means I can take Predator.
    Which means I can actually be competitive.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I haven't played in a while and now they're changing everything up. Need to play more!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Intelligence Officer only lets you look at an enemy ship's dial at Range 1 or 2. This occurs at the start of the activation phase, before any ships move.

Title updated!

The guy in the last picture... I want his shirt.

But I like these changes. As a TIE Interceptor player, cloak was a bitch and a half to deal with. Maybe I can kill someone with our next season of league. Speaking of... I only heard from one person about trying out the Trench Run mission before the next season. If you guys are interested, let me know. Other then that, when are we starting up again because I'm ready to start playing again!

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    I'm happiest with the fairly recent FAQ confirmation that cross-faction ships' dials don't have to match the faction being played. I don't think it's been mentioned before here but it'll enable a lot of us (myself included) to run a lot more ships with just the Most Wanted pack.

I should look into lists composed using five Z-95s, three Y-wings, two HWKs and a Firespray.

hmm.gif
  • Options

Title updated!

The guy in the last picture... I want his shirt.

But I like these changes. As a TIE Interceptor player, cloak was a bitch and a half to deal with. Maybe I can kill someone with our next season of league. Speaking of... I only heard from one person about trying out the Trench Run mission before the next season. If you guys are interested, let me know. Other then that, when are we starting up again because I'm ready to start playing again!
    Sorry... I know I've been slacking on the league. I'll work on getting something posted early next week (at least to garner interest).

I'll be honest, some of it has been selfishness on my (wallet's?) part. I'll be more tempted to buy scum ships when I see everyone flying them around here!

I would be down to give the trench run a go, but it's a matter of scheduling if I could actually do it.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Figure I'll cross-post this here, since I knew people in the boardgame thread were interested in Armada who didn't check here, and probably the other way around as well:

Oh man, Armada is so good, guys.

Played the initial scenario, and then a 180pt match with Objectives.

The Initial scenario is definitely a nice way to learn to remember all the things you have to do, but it also isn't nearly as enjoyable as the Objective stuff. The game ended with a win for the Rebels, as they had cleared out all the TIE fighters. No capital ships went down.

Then was the Objective match. I was Rebels again and had 176 pts, which gave me the choice of first player. I let the Imps have it and so drew two random Objectives and picked one. I selected "Intel Sweep" which allowed me to use my speed and maneuverability to grab various bits of Intel around the board and keep from getting blown up. I made my Corvette the scanner ship and went all out, but it still ended up being close as the Victory and Howlrunner put a beating on my Nebulon and X-Wings, but my Nebulon managed to barely escape and the 75pts I scored from the Objective were enough to seal the deal.

It was so crazy thematic, as my forces were so clearly out-gunned, but I had to rush in, grab the data, and then get the hell out while my forces distracted the main Imperial force and just tried not to die.

So good!

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    @InkSplat, In your opinion, is there a super compelling case for buying two starter sets? If not, would it be safe to say that I'll eventually want more fighters?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    @InkSplat, In your opinion, is there a super compelling case for buying two starter sets? If not, would it be safe to say that I'll eventually want more fighters?

The only reason to get 2 core sets is lack of patience, I guess? That said, I'm glad I did, because I plan to be playing this every weekend until Wave 1 drops, and 300pt battles are great.

I'm super glad to have more dice, i turned the second maneuver tool into a shorter version, and I've got enough fighters to keep one Howlrunner and Luke face up at all times. And like I said, 300pt matches are where it's at.

The fighter packs will come with 2 more TIES and X-Wings, but you can field up to 12 TIEs without Howlrunner if you really want to in a 300pt list, so if you like TIE swarms, that adds to the value of a 2nd Core.

I also found it nice to have 2 sets of obstacles, so you can just have the players pick 6 from them, resulting in more variance.

It's definitely not required, but I'm glad I got a 2nd set.

• Options

Buying a second core set is cheaper than buying another X-Wing and 2 more TIE Fighters separately (and you want a lot of TIE Fighters), plus you get extra upgrade cards and dice as well and it also gives you a second set of everything else needed to play so once you've gotten a large enough collection you can just bring all your shit and someone who doesn't own it can play using your stuff too.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Buying a second core set is cheaper than buying another X-Wing and 2 more TIE Fighters separately (and you want a lot of TIE Fighters), plus you get extra upgrade cards and dice as well and it also gives you a second set of everything else needed to play so once you've gotten a large enough collection you can just bring all your shit and someone who doesn't own it can play using your stuff too.

Is this advice for X-Wing or Armada?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

Sounds like X-Wing advice to me. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Sounds like X-Wing advice to me. :)

But it could probably apply to Armada as well (though I've not looked at Armada prices).
    Unless you'd, for some bizarre reason, want fewer space ships.

• Options
    It definitely is true for Armada, but it depends on if you ever plan to run a 3 Victory list. At 300pts, I'm not sure how feasible it would be, but at 400pts, which becomes the point limit with Wave 2, it'll have more room to breathe. So, if you don't want to run a 3 Vic list, or don't want an extra Vic to put on your desk, then a 2nd Core might not break down the same way as X-Wing, since you're going to want to buy a Vic expansion pack for the new title and Commander and upgrades anyway.

• Options

X-Wing. I forget that this thread is about more than one game now, sometimes.

• Options
    I mean, I'll be more than happy to make a separate Armada thread if we want to avoid this sort of confusion and cross-talk, especially when we start talking about shared assets like Howlrunner, Vader, or whatever else.

• Options
    That was my sentiment regarding a separate Armada thread. I almost suggested it earlier when the rules on a card came up. It may not be necessary just yet (I for one am holding off on the game until next year), but without specifying which game is being discussed I'm seeing some room for confusion.

hmm.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    That was my sentiment regarding a separate Armada thread. I almost suggested it earlier when the rules on a card came up. It may not be necessary just yet (I for one am holding off on the game until next year), but without specifying which game is being discussed I'm seeing some room for confusion.

I'll second this. Armada's been out less than a month and there's already been confusion and miscommunication. That's only going to get worse as both games continue to expand.

Better, I think, to nip it in the bud now and split the threads rather than wait until it becomes a necessity.

• Options
    Alright, well, if no one beats me to it I'll make a thread tonight when I get home from work.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Alright, well, if no one beats me to it I'll make a thread tonight when I get home from work.

A new thread for X-wing or a new thread for Armada? I'm confused.

hmm.gif
  • Options

...Armada. Why would I make a new thread for X-Wing when this one already exists? :P

• Options
  • Options

...Armada. Why would I make a new thread for X-Wing when this one already exists? :P

thatsthejoke.jpg

yesiknowimbeingagoose.gif

hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2015

thatsthejoke.jpg

yesiknowimbeingagoose.gif

Wow. That went right over my head, haha. But it was 1am. So I forgive myself. :P

InkSplat on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Interesting, a DIY printable storage system for X-wing (and armada):

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/113222/microhangars-wave-1-6

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Those are amazing and I wish I had known about them before I spent so much on pluck foam cases.