As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[One Piece] A wild trip on the Grand Line

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Yeah and Dressrosa's still got some stuff too
    - CP0
    - Burgess
    - Fujitora resolution
    - Sabo/Luffy/Law resolution (alliance?)
    - Mansherry's tears being used for something (too OP, have to be used for something major. Possible Law heal)
    - The crew is in dire need of a cook, navigator and doctor (musician would be nice too)

So we're at 83 chapters right now? Wouldn't be surprised if we at least get very close to a 100.

I will be surprised if we stay below 100 at this point.
    Though they might do a cold stop and just deal with the rest later, or between arcs, if at all.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Zython wrote: »
    I did some research, and to date, the longest completed manga arc has been the Skypia arc at 65 chapters. We are 83 chapters into the Dressrosa arc.

Is that counting the Punk Hazard arc? Or just as long as they've been in Dressrosa. Because the current "Doflamingo arc" seems to have several sub-arcs in it, just like the "East Blue" arc had the Zoro arc, Buggy arc, Usopp arc, Sanji arc, Nami arc, and Loguetown arc.

No. Punk Hazard was 45 chapters. I got the numbers from here.

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Story_Arcs

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Spoilers are out.
    Not a fan of the look, honestly :/

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Nooooooooooo, don't tempt me. I can wait.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Whoop! Hahahaha~hah!! This fucking manga!
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Spoilers are out.
    It's completely ridiculous and monstrous, but by the end of the chapter it definitely grew on me! I love it!

I do kinda hope we get a more slimmed-down streamline version later, that would look really cool.

All in all it was worth the wait!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Whoop! Hahahaha~hah!! This fucking manga!
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Spoilers are out.
    It's completely ridiculous and monstrous, but by the end of the chapter it definitely grew on me! I love it!

I do kinda hope we get a more slimmed-down streamline version later, that would look really cool.

All in all it was worth the wait!
    I love how Doflamingo says what we all were thinking. Inflating yourself is not increasing muscle mass. But I'll be damned if Oda didn't make it work.

• Options
    Uncle PKUncle PK Registered User regular
    It's as if he's using the spirit of Bellamy's abilities to curb stomp 'Mingo into the fucking pavement, I love it

That justice system burns don't it

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Chaper 784:
    So he's clad in Armament Haki to make the rubber tougher and able to stretch more, then takes in a bunch of air to increase his size. So you have super tough yet bouncy rubber? It was cool, for sure, so it's forgiven, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the explanation.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Seems to be somewhat like Gear 3rd - not just inflation, but compressing air into space to add durability. Only with 3rd its in the bones, and with 4th its in the muscles.

Also let's bear in mind it's a magical rubber fruit curse combined with magical 'ambition armor' - it can be paradoxical. Super-strong invulnerable rubber that's extra bouncy.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Honestly it feels like to much of a power up

His attacks can home! And he can fly! And he is sp much stronger! And bigger! And invicible! and yadda yadda yadda

gear 2 and 3 were perfect. Just go fast and get big

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Honestly it feels like to much of a power up

His attacks can home! And he can fly! And he is sp much stronger! And bigger! And invicible! and yadda yadda yadda

gear 2 and 3 were perfect. Just go fast and get big
    I want to say that the reason Doflamingo is getting curbstomped is A. plot reasons for showing how badass Gear 4th is and B. that he's taken completely by surprise.

I'd say that fighting someone for whom this doesn't hold true Gear 4th might provide fast and strong attacks but sacrifice mobility and also provide a much, much bigger target. Alternatively that shit has to be exhausting, I doubt he can keep it up forever.

Btw I love Gear 4th. It looks badass and funny at the same time! Also, compare this to Zorro who basically just became more and more badass, focused and disciplined, whereas Luffy spending 2 years in a jungle with house-sized monsters made him even more animalistic.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    I'm guessing that Doflamingo
    will have some kind of trump card String Armor form that he'll bust out as a desperation move that will level the playing field a bit. Make Luffy struggle a little for that victory.

I don't want to see a total curb-stomp either - but when Gear 3rd showed up it looked like it might end the fight with Lucci, and instead it was just the start of things really picking up.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Seems to be somewhat like Gear 3rd - not just inflation, but compressing air into space to add durability. Only with 3rd its in the bones, and with 4th its in the muscles.

Also let's bear in mind it's a magical rubber fruit curse combined with magical 'ambition armor' - it can be paradoxical. Super-strong invulnerable rubber that's extra bouncy.
    Its Nightmare Luffy. Also, relevant colored spread.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I just hope gear 4 is pretty goofy.

Nothing relieved the tension in the alabasta arc quite like water Luffy.
    CALLED IT!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Chapter 784.
    Ahaha! Sure. I'll take it. He's basically saiyan, but it's based on bouncing. And he looks like rubber.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Hey so this isn't really One Piece related but it's Shounen based so it's semi-related:

Akira Toriyama is making a new DragonBall series called Dragon Ball Super. Everybody proceed to lose your fucking mind cause this is really happening, in the year of our Lord 2015

This July :o

We now return you to the regularly scheduled One Piece ass-beating in progress

Uncle PK on
  • Options
    Apparently there's been a new opening song for the show, and I just haven't noticed since I skip the opening songs now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81y38wvDjfo

• Options
    Uncle PK wrote: »
    Hey so this isn't really One Piece related but it's Shounen based so it's semi-related:

Akira Toriyama is making a new DragonBall series called Dragon Ball Super. Everybody proceed to lose your fucking mind cause this is really happening, in the year of our Lord 2015

This July :o

We now return you to the regularly scheduled One Piece ass-beating in progress

What in the Lord's fuck~?! I know that new movie is out, hot on the heels of the last one, and the last one was actually really great, but I never thought we'd see another series~! Still, it's been ages since he ended the first one, I suppose he's had plenty of time to think of more to do with those characters.

Anyway, brrr~ *slapl* *slap* One Piece, One Piece. Nice new opening!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Honestly, can't feel the new One Piece OP.
    Is that song licensed or did they make it for the show like some others?

I don't think I can adjust to the current way they animate it as of yet while currently delving into the dubbing either.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    Honestly, can't feel the new One Piece OP.
    Is that song licensed or did they make it for the show like some others?

I don't think I can adjust to the current way they animate it as of yet while currently delving into the dubbing either.

It does kind of sound more like a Fairy Tail opening.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I have read this latest chapter of Piece no less than half a dozen times
    That part when Doffy gets drop kicked into the next zip code is panel of the fucking Century.

Maybe it's because Joker just won out a massive dick-waving Devil Fruit battle between him and Law on who has the sweeter ability. Maybe it's the fact that Doffy hasn't shown anything less than his default shit-eating grin back during his introduction before Jaya, a story arc five years old. Or it could simply be the fact that, despite his painstakingly constructed fortress falling down like a house of cards, he still didn't take Luffy seriously right down to Law's inevitable defeat.

But I think it's because his ego (and the smugness rivaling Aizen from Bleach) just cannot fathom getting his ass beat like a salvation army drum from a kid utilizing what is arguably the Grand Line's most mundane superpower.

This invincible puppeteer is getting spanked by a Roid-raged Rubber Superbounce ball.

This is a masterstroke story effect. Hell, it's practically art, Shounen polished to a mirror shine.

God speed Oda, you made my Golden Week.

Uncle PK on
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I thought it looked dumb at first too, until he sucked his hand in and made his whole arm a cannon.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    So there's appearently leaks of the next chapter that might not be entirely untrue (there were some images that looked pretty normal). If it's to be believed, Doflamingo mentions that even Luffy is just a beginner when looking at devil fruit mastery and that there's a whole other level ("awakening") to them. Supposedly (though this seemed purely speculative) Doffy might be able to turn other people into strings as well. Last (there was a picture of this) it looks like Luffy will be finishing off Doffy with a "Lion Bazooka" which looks preeetty much like a Kamehameha, only with your fists and no energy.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    So there's appearently leaks of the next chapter that might not be entirely untrue (there were some images that looked pretty normal). If it's to be believed, Doflamingo mentions that even Luffy is just a beginner when looking at devil fruit mastery and that there's a whole other level ("awakening") to them. Supposedly (though this seemed purely speculative) Doffy might be able to turn other people into strings as well. Last (there was a picture of this) it looks like Luffy will be finishing off Doffy with a "Lion Bazooka" which looks preeetty much like a Kamehameha, only with your fists and no energy.
    Now that I think of it, Luffy is still in his half disguise, which is a tribute to DBZ. His final move mirroring Kamehameha is apt

urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I really don't think that the thread-power is inherently higher tier or whatever than the rubber-power. Doffy is just legitimately competent and experienced.
    Crocodile was super right about devil-powers.

Like the conceit isn't that rubber shouldn't be able to beat his threads. It's that some dumb kid shouldn't be able to beat a god.

PLA on
  • Options
    PLA wrote: »
    I really don't think that the thread-power is higher tier or whatever than the rubber-power. Doffy is just legitimately competent and experienced.

It's not about Fruit Tiers, it's about Devil Fruit mastery. And remember, Crocodile said that he had mastered his own Devil Fruit.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I really don't think that the thread-power is higher tier or whatever than the rubber-power. Doffy is just legitimately competent and experienced.

It's not about Fruit Tiers, it's about Devil Fruit mastery. And remember, Crocodile said that he had mastered his own Devil Fruit.

Oh, sure, I wasn't really responding to that thing.

• Options

Oh, sure, I wasn't really responding to that thing.

In that case, I agree.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    It is kinda crazy how powerful Doffy is, in a logistical manner. The dude is simultaneously keeping up multiple uses of his powers in a very large area* and is still able to maintain focus and energy to fight personally.

*He can somehow keep up a highly durable death cage surrounding an entire country while also controlling people like puppets to attack anyone around them. I feel like just the mental effort alone trying to manage these effects would make it tough for him to fight, let alone the physical effort and energy required to fuel them.

Pretty crazy.

• Options
    I thought it looked dumb until I parsed the still pictures
    and realised that he was in a constant state of bouncing.

Then I thought it looked really dumb. It's fine.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    New chapter
    So the leaks were right, and Doflamingo has "awakened" Devil Fruit powers that allow him to turn objects around him into string. Thinking back, the mino-guards of Impel Down were "awakened" Zoan fruit users. I guess all devil fruit powers can become "awakened", and what that awakening means depends on the devil fruit classification. God help us when we meat an awakened Logia user.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »
    New chapter
    So the leaks were right, and Doflamingo has "awakened" Devil Fruit powers that allow him to turn objects around him into string. Thinking back, the mino-guards of Impel Down were "awakened" Zoan fruit users. I guess all devil fruit powers can become "awakened", and what that awakening means depends on the devil fruit classification. God help us when we meat an awakened Logia user.

Damn, this opens up so many possibilities.
    It's pretty crazy how this has actually been foreshadowed for ages with the zoan of Impel Down - there was never any reason why other types of devil fruits couldn't also become 'awakened.'

Awakened zoan = becoming colossal monsters and/or possibly also unlocking transformations like Chopper's - maybe the Rubble Balls allow for a temporary 'awakening'. (side note - I hope we eventually see some other fruit user eat a Rumble Ball).

Apparently awakened paramecia can instill their ability into everything around them - Luffy could presumably turn every surface into rubber.

Awakened logia might be able to produce their element from everything around them rather than just from themselves, or turn everything around into their element, or cause their element to persist even without conscious control. Maybe that's why Punk Hazard was permanently half-frozen, half-molten from Aokiji and Akainu's fight.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Chapter 785.
    That was very similar to the regular Bazooka.

• Options
    Well
    Crocodile was able to turn other things into sand ("draining the water") so that might be one awakening aspect for Logias

steam_sig.png

• Options
    New Chapter
    DoFlamingo is still alive
    Luffy needs 10 mins to recharge
    Come'on Oda I need that payoff soon, I can't hold it in forever

urquanlord88.png
  • Options
    Chapter 786:
    Law REALLY doesn't like bread.
    Gatz with the power of friendship! Carry the day!
    What is CP-0 up to, I wonder? Haven't heard from them in a while. Will they save Doflamingo?
    Sabo with the perfectly timed saved. Please don't kill BOTH Fire Fist brothers, Oda.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Luffy takes a breather, delaying the end of the arc even further, yay.
    /sarcasm

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Of course Luffy needs to rest for a while, how else will get an awesome fight from Sabo?

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Sabo is an interesting character with lots of potential.
    He should go be an interesting character in some future arc and leaves this one to die a quick death.

• Options
    I mean, it really feels like end game here. Although it's been going for a long time, it's not really been dragging on for me.

This discussion has been closed.