As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trails in the Sky 2 coming to PC/PSP 2014. Trails 1 coming to Steam this Winter.

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Games and Technology
EDIT: Confirmed. Trails in the Sky 1 is coming to Steam this Winter. Trails 2 coming to PSP & PC next year. Carpe Fulgur responsible for translation; XSeed Games distributing.

XSeed Games posted this on their twitter account:

Someone at Neogaf offered this as a possible match-up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80221217&postcount=187

20120530074712!Agate_SC.jpg

Looks like it to me. Tomorrow's the last day for one of the main XSeed Games staff so I'm guessing they wanted to make the announcement before she left.

As far as what platform it would be on, someone found this comment from one of the XSeed staff members
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80228185&postcount=356
Why would an announcement of a Steam version preclude us from announcing the console or handheld version as well? I've said this whole time that if and when we do announce SC, we will almost certainly announce it for (and release it for) Steam first, since a Steam version is much quicker and easier to release (mostly because there's no ESRB requirement, no mastering process and Sara can handle the programming rather than us having to sync with Falcom's schedule). That wouldn't mean the PSP and PS3 versions are off the table, though.

Never really understood why people assume that...

-Tom

RainbowDespair on

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I an so fucking ecstatically happy right now guys!

Hugs for everyone!

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Woooaaahhhhh

I never expected to see Trails in the Sky again.

This is fantastic!

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I hope this is real. Wouldn't mind seeing the first game on Steam too.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Wait... PSP version? Really? Because, um... I HAVE one of those, and would be much more likely to play a game like this there than on my PC, because of daddy reasons/commute/work options.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Doesn't the series do the ol' save transfer sort of thing? You'd almost have to release the first game as well.

Well, you don't have to, but why wouldn't you want to? :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Doesn't the series do the ol' save transfer sort of thing? You'd almost have to release the first game as well.

Well, the first game is already translated, and they've already said they're capable of doing the programming on the PC port themselves - who knows, it may already be more or less done. It wouldn't surprise me if it ended up as some kind of Steam two-pack like Ys I and II.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Well, the first game is already translated, and they've already said they're capable of doing the programming on the PC port themselves - who knows, it may already be more or less done. It wouldn't surprise me if it ended up as some kind of Steam two-pack like Ys I and II.

They don't need to port it to PC, it's already on it. Falcom were a PC studio before they moved over to PSP (and now PS3/Vita).

The only version that's off the table is the PS3 version, as that version was a PSP Remaster (emulated PSP game) and SCEA/SCEE aren't fond of them.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Confirmed:
    http://kotaku.com/one-of-the-best-rpgs-on-psp-gets-a-sequel-and-a-pc-por-1261239221

PSP/Steam and they're releasing FC on Steam later this year.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    PSP but not vita?

Edit: Oh it's backwards compatible so I can play it anyway.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Aegeri wrote: »
    PSP but not vita?

"That means English-speakers will be able to play both games in the beloved RPG series on PSP, Vita, or PC by the end of 2014."

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Also, Carpe Fulgur is doing the translation. They're best known as the team that localized Recettear.

• Options
    They have been working on this translation for 2 years. That's some dedication.

Now we just need to buy the shit out of these games so they have a reason to keep translating them for English-speaking audiences.

This also means that Trails 1 on PSP finally sold well enough to warrant this translation.

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    So, apparently this series is beloved and very quality and somehow never hit my radar.

Can someone evagelize for it and let me know what versions/order I would want to look into it on?

Don't have a vita, either.

• Options
    rpshoggoth wrote: »
    So, apparently this series is beloved and very quality and somehow never hit my radar.

Can someone evagelize for it and let me know what versions/order I would want to look into it on?

Do you have a PC or PSP?

• Options

They don't need to port it to PC, it's already on it. Falcom were a PC studio before they moved over to PSP (and now PS3/Vita).

The only version that's off the table is the PS3 version, as that version was a PSP Remaster (emulated PSP game) and SCEA/SCEE aren't fond of them.

No, no, you know exactly what I meant, man. The language programming on the PC port would still need to be done. Did you read the NeoGAF quote in the start of the thread? The XSeed employee used the word "programming" in the exact same context.

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    PC, iphone, 360, ps3, ps2, ps1, wii, gamecube

Looks like there is a much lauded original set of 3 games that are one contiguous story, and then a foloow set of games with their own story, etc etc?

Where does one start?

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

No, no, you know exactly what I meant, man. The language programming on the PC port would still need to be done. Did you read the NeoGAF quote in the start of the thread? The XSeed employee used the word "programming" in the exact same context.

They are also trying to add the extras from the PSP version.

So, actually still similiar to YS I and II+

• Options
    edited September 2013

Traditional turn-based JRPG. Female protagonist (at least in the first two games). Gameplay's decent; story & characters are well done.

The big thing that sets the series apart from most others is the world. Like the Suikoden series before it lost its way, the entire series takes place in one huge world. Not only that but the first game ended on a really big cliffhanger (which is why fans have been dying to get the sequel for so long).

Also, the text count for these games is massive compared to most RPGs.

The sixth game in the Trails series comes out on the PS3/Vita this year in Japan so hopefully the first two games do well enough on Steam that XSeed or another company sees the incentive to make localizing the rest of the series a priority.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    PC, iphone, 360, ps3, ps2, ps1, wii, gamecube

Looks like there is a much lauded original set of 3 games that are one contiguous story, and then a foloow set of games with their own story, etc etc?

Where does one start?

Start with Trails in the Sky. PSP right now, PC/Steam later this year.

Then Trails in the Sky SC (Second Chapter) on PSP and PC/Steam next year.

• Options
    C2B wrote: »

They are also trying to add the extras from the PSP version.

So, actually still similiar to YS I and II+

Well, ideally there's going to be a 1+2 pack mostly because of the save importing function as well. I'll most certainly be re-playing 1 in order to get max A rank again to import it into 2 for the item bonuses if possible.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I'm equally glad that Carpe Fulgur is helping on translation as I am that we're finally getting the game.

• Options
    Well, ideally there's going to be a 1+2 pack mostly because of the save importing function as well. I'll most certainly be re-playing 1 in order to get max A rank again to import it into 2 for the item bonuses if possible.

I'm guessing they'll be available separately and later in a combo pack after the second game comes out.

Wonder how much they'll end up costing. Trails 1 is currently $20 on PSP but it launched at $30, I believe.

• Options
    I'm equally glad that Carpe Fulgur is helping on translation as I am that we're finally getting the game.

Huh, that would partially explain their near-total radio silence after Fortune Summoners released. If they had been working on it for a while already, no doubt they wouldn't have been allowed to talk about it.

• Options
    It'll probably be $30 on PSN.

The script is something like twice the size of the first one, they can charge $30 as far as I'm concerned.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I really need to play 1 on PSP. It's been on my list since it came out and I just haven't made the time for it.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    You all seem pretty excited about this. I love me some JRPG's and I managed to miss this game. Looks like I know what to play after I finish Final Fantasy 3.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I really need to play 1 on PSP. It's been on my list since it came out and I just haven't made the time for it.

I'd hold off until we find out for sure if they're releasing 1 on PC as well - unless you plan to wait for the PSP port of 2 instead. There's a save import function that provides some nice item bonuses for the second game if you've played through the first. (nothing story changing, but nifty bonuses - sort of how Golden Sun did it)

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »

I'd hold off until we find out for sure if they're releasing 1 on PC as well - unless you plan to wait for the PSP port of 2 instead. There's a save import function that provides some nice item bonuses for the second game if you've played through the first. (nothing story changing, but nifty bonuses - sort of how Golden Sun did it)

They've already said that 1 is coming out on PC later this year.

• Options
    edited September 2013

Huh, that would partially explain their near-total radio silence after Fortune Summoners released. If they had been working on it for a while already, no doubt they wouldn't have been allowed to talk about it.

This is apparently "project four", which they've been working on for the past two years.

And yes, Trails 1 will be seeing a PC release.
    [Trails in the Sky FC & SC] The muchmuchmuch anticipated sequel to FC is confirmed & heading to PC & PSP digitally. FC is also to PC! BOOM!

Finally, CF has made it clear that they will not get to do Trails third chapter if this game does not sell well. So, y'know, steam gift everybody you know.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited September 2013

This is apparently "project four", which they've been working on for the past two years.

And yes, Trails 1 will be seeing a PC release.
    [Trails in the Sky FC & SC] The muchmuchmuch anticipated sequel to FC is confirmed & heading to PC & PSP digitally. FC is also to PC! BOOM!

Finally, CF has made it clear that they will not get to do Trails third chapter if this game does not sell well. So, y'know, steam gift everybody you know.

Just fyi if you weren't aware - you can just post the link in the forums without a quote and the PA forums will auto-format it.

But, bad news folks - turns out they're not actually localizing Trails, time to pack this thread up guys. They're actually going into the animal exporting business.

Donnicton on
  • Options

I clearly didn't know what you meant then, given that porting is completely different from localisation programming. And the quote in the OP is obviously only hypothetical, as he wouldn't be bringing up the PS3 version if it were accurate.

• Options
    Here's a blog post by Robin from Carpe Fulgur about getting to work on SC. I'm posting the text here because, honestly, their site is getting absolutely hammered and it's very difficult to get the page to load.

http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=50
    Robin-post: Some Thoughts on Silence & Purpose
    This is a “guest” blog from Robin, the other half of Carpe Fulgur , who had a lot to say about our recent announcement himself and why it is we’ve chosen to do what we’ve done. Without further ado, I’ll let my partner in crime take it away:

Hello.

Thanks for coming. I know we haven’t been on the best of terms, lately. I’ve been busy with other things, and haven’t had the chance to pay you the attention you deserve. I know every time you ask where I’ve been I get evasive and never give you a straight answer. I know you’ve been suspicious, and I know you’re sick of listening to excuses. More than that, I know that you’ve stuck with me, and believed in me no matter how suspicious I’ve been.

Well, here. I know it’s about four days too early, but- happy anniversary. http://www.carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=48

So, putting the jokes aside, now that we can talk about what we’ve been doing, I wanted to talk about why we did this. I know a lot of people have been rightfully bothered by our silence for… far too long now, and have been wondering what happened. For those people who feel bothered, betrayed, upset, or just curious, now that we can talk, I want to talk. I’ve been wanting to talk for months- going on a year, now, really. Not really to make excuses- while there were elements beyond our control, I do recognize that we could have done better to make this happen sooner- but to explain why I think it’s nonetheless important.

When we started this company, Andrew and I didn’t really expect to make a ton of money. Recettear was a good game, but actually getting recognized even with a good game is equal parts blind luck and purpose. In the best case, we’d help a Japanese group get some foreign recognition, get them on Steam, and get something for our own resume to bring somewhere else. In the world of the time, it was our best bet at actually getting a job.

Well, we hit the lottery with blind luck, let me tell you that. I couldn’t possibly be thankful enough to the people who made sure we could come this far, who still make sure we can keep going. We found exactly the people who wanted what we have, and you found us- a fact I’m still incredibly grateful for, and frankly surprised at to this day, three years later.

Blind luck, however, isn’t enough- no matter how much. You have to have a purpose; people aren’t idiots, and if you’re just grabbing cash you’ll be found out. A message you want to say, something you want to accomplish- there has to be something, and that something led us here.

Around the time we were considering contacting EGS, a game came out. To avoid offending anyone, I’m not going to refer to it by name; we’ll call it The Game. I’d had the chance to play The Game in Japanese, and I felt it was probably one of the best games released. It was clever, fun, and had a real message to tell; through insidious satire it mercilessly pointed out and called out the worst of Japan’s nerd culture, all while containing incredibly human, incredibly touching stories.

The Game was released in America shortly before all of this began. It wasn’t given anything close to the treatment it deserved. Its localization was flat, the characters lost much of their point, and what was insidious, yet almost indignant satire was played straight, giving a lot of people the wrong image. The Game does not have a good reputation over here, and frankly, the American version probably deserves it. Some people saw through to what it really was, but I can’t blame anyone who didn’t.

That was probably when I started really considering Andrew’s suggestion. I told him that I was going down to a bookstore (Powell’s, for pacific-northwesters) to see if they had in their tiny shelf of used Japanese books sold by Japanese locals, a book on writing business letters. If I did, I’d agree to gamble a year on releasing Recettear. (I probably would have anyway.)

On those shelves, there was maybe half a row, not 20 books long, of non-fiction; and in there, there was exactly one book on Japanese business letter writing. I still have the book, in fact (though it turned out to be very old and not very useful when dealing with more casual independent groups!)

I started work on the mail to EGS when I got home.

When this succeeded, I had to ask myself what my purpose in this was. My answer was this; As much as I can, as far as I can, I want to make sure that the story above never happens again. I don’t want to see deserving games get bad translations. I don’t want to see deserving games get left in Japan because no one ever noticed them. As long as I’m doing this job, that’s what matters to me. That’s what I took from Recettear’s success; a message saying, ‘Do your best to get these over here with the translation they deserve.’

That’s what it means to be Independent. Not that you get to be a stylish rockstar who buys a Ferrari and burns it when you get to your destination, that’s just being Famous and Rich. It’s not even exclusively developing pixel-art platformers (though you can certainly do that as part of it!)

It means that you get to try something new, and most importantly, it means you get to learn from your mistakes. There’s no manager firing a scapegoat and saying “the users aren’t ready,” “we didn’t message properly,” to make nice to the stockholders and whitewashing everything so no one figures out what really went wrong. There’s no byzantine maze of bureaucracy making it impossible to even figure out what your contribution to the project was.

If you mess up, you know, because the people who you need to serve and the people who pay your paychecks are actually the same.

Of course, I don’t think I’ll be able to get everything. Nor do I think my opinion on what’s ‘deserving’ is an absolute standard. But if I can raise the standards even a bit- if I can make more people come to expect that good works will come over, with good translations, instead of just sighing and accepting that’s how the industry works when something’s left unnoticed or poorly treated- then I can hope that the industry will take over the rest.

Do I think XSEED wouldn’t have gotten SC over otherwise? I don’t know. I do know the first game was a severe strain on them, as the interviews with their localization staff near its release can testify to. I think they’re smart cookies; they’d probably have found a way. But things have a way of getting shuffled to the back burner, especially big things hard to deal with and once they’re there it’s easy to forget. XSEED’s had a lot to release since then, and this would’ve taken a lot of their time; something probably would have been lost, and if you think it’s hard for us to take the risk to go silent on a project for this long, imagine a big company like them!

We, however, could step in and make sure that that didn’t have to happen, by working on it- even if it was a somewhat risky path, even if it meant we couldn’t talk about what we were working on for months, years- and making sure that the work on it was the translation a great game like this deserves.

Because, again, that’s what it means to be Independent.

The result of all of that is that all of you reading this have been left wondering for a very long time what in the crazy eights we’ve been doing, and us basically having to put on a shadow show behind the curtains to try to avoid answering the question, because we’d agreed to silence. That silence was supposed to be broken a long time ago, but… a lot happened, and a lot of it was out of our control. It wasn’t even XSEED’s fault; if I’ve learned anything since starting this, it’s that the business world is insane. The only choice was to break our agreement and tell everyone, but give up on the project, or keep working and keep silent even at the cost of offending our fans.

We chose to keep working, because I still believe that the message you gave us was that you wanted us to do that- that even at the cost of some silence, some weird behavior, if it meant we knew that we could get this game out and make it good, it was okay. Your chance to vote on that will be coming up, once this game is released- though personally I’d rather you buy it anyway and just tell us you don’t want us doing this again, since Falcom deserves your money even if you feel we don’t!

So, to all who we’ve offended, who we’ve bothered, who we’ve upset- to all who feel our silence and seeming inactivity betrayed or disappointed you- to all who who still believe in us but want to know what happened- this is my explanation for these last two years. I still believe in what we did; if we were asked to do the same again, I’d probably (after writing in a clause to make sure an announcement happens someday no matter what!) do it again. It is, however, also an apology. We could have done more, and no matter what, we’ve upset our fans in the process, and that’s never something that should be ‘just part of doing business.’

To those who have continued to support us, even through your hesitations and misgivings, I am sincerely sorry for our mistreatment of your trust and support.

And thank you.

I hope you think it was worth it too.

-Robin Light-Williams

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    So what is "The Game" he refers to for people who maybe don't follow this stuff that closely?

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Just fyi if you weren't aware - you can just post the link in the forums without a quote and the PA forums will auto-format it.
    Holy crap. Thanks for this. Save cluttering up my imgur gallery.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    I don't know, but I've been thinking about it all goddamned day . I currently hate Robin for doing this to me. And I hate myself for being so easily made curious. *shakes fist*

( I kid, I love Robin and crew. ....still hate my stupid own brain though. )

sig.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I just bought the game on PSN, even though I'll probably get both on Steam. Just wanna make sure we're getting the third one.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I just bought the game on PSN, even though I'll probably get both on Steam. Just wanna make sure we're getting the third one.

Yeah well I bought the UMD version when it first released, and then bought the PSN version later on after I got my Vita. /hipster

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Also, this is technical Carpe Fulgur's first console game, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Also, this is technical Carpe Fulgur's first console game, right?

Yes, they're a pretty new company so they've only done three games so far - Recettear, Fortune Summoner and Chantelise.

• Options
    So what is "The Game" he refers to for people who maybe don't follow this stuff that closely?

I'm not sure, but it'd probably have been something released around 2008-2009 that did not have a great translation (and wasn't very well received as a result of that).