As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tecmo's [Deception V.5: Nightmare Princess] for PS4/PS3/Vita: out soon!

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited July 2015 in Games and Technology
14329280345568bf2269342.jpg
  • Release Date: 7/14/15 (US) | 7/17/15 (EU) / 3/26/15 (JP)
  • Platform: PS3 (Digital) / PSV (Digital/Physical[Asian Only] / PS4 (Digital/Physical)
  • Rated: M For Mature / PEGI 16 / CERO D / MA-17
  • Genre: Strategy/Action Game
  • Developer: Tecmo Koei

icon_01.png

Deception IV: Nightmare Princess is a self-contained update to last year's Deception IV: Blood Ties(aka Darkside Princess).
Nightmare Princess includes the complete original game and a ton of new content.

This technically makes Nightmare Princess the sixth release in the series.

darkdelusionnacovera.jpg
(Deception III: Dark Delusion)

Yeah, it can get pretty convoluted.

Feel free to read up on the series history here, though there isn't much if any continuity.

Fortunately, Nightmare Princess contains everything from Deception IV, as well as the protagonists from the last three games. (Whether they get any story content remains to be seen, but I'm not holding my breath.)

In addition, there is a new massive quest mode(which was already pretty significant in the base game).

01_ss02.jpg

And modern day stages, a series first!

03_01.jpg

So, who gets to take part in this madness?

I3bWPl3.png

Nearly everyone from the entire series has arrived to crush anyone dumb enough to get in their way.
Except for that poor guy from Deception I, but I imagine he's too busy leading Lucifer's armies by now.
rRZxXqa.jpg

Qjn83FE.jpg

ZNo8mbb.jpg

NLVPJg8.jpg

88FNYB9.jpg

kPfmCSk.jpg

OVW2Bt5.png

nighttrap-pc-24.png

Wait, wrong mansion. Ahem.

As with all games in the series, there are three ways to kill stupid intruders in the Deception series.

Floor Traps, Wall Traps, and Ceiling Traps.

6GM7hPQ.jpg

As with all Deception games, prior to each stage and at any time during a given level, the player can set up traps however they please to best capture/maim/obliterate intruders.

RSoOtXt.jpg

Each stage provides unique environments to help set up traps, or deal even more destruction, such as by sending them down flights of stairs, tossing them into a furnace, or sending down stone pillars onto them.

In addition, Deception IV adds flavors to each type of trap: Sadistic(Massive Damage), Humiliating(for disorienting), and Elaborate(best for setting up combos).

Do note that while Deception's invaders may be short-sighted, they're not all stupid. Some will anticipate your traps, and worse, prove immune to them.

For those special idiots, be prepared to make them really hurt.

03_ss01.jpg
Disclaimer: Millennia was kind enough to volunteer for this demonstration.
Were this a real conflict, her assailant would be in pieces shortly afterward.

Here's a few of my favorites!
trap_ssbtn_17.jpgtrap_ssbtn_09.jpg

trap_ssbtn_02.jpgtrap_ssbtn_16.jpg

trap_ssbtn_05.jpgtrap_ssbtn_14.jpg
n2E5s3X.jpg
(All absolutely wonderful as setups for a pendulum trap.)

Media

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EMCPBHTcFQ
The Wondrous Live Action Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkNtPOe-XX0
Modern Day Combo Video
CD12l2-WYAApSE-.jpg

CD12l3DWgAArp89.jpg

FFp4dDs.jpg

IbgH0ue.jpg

Ike1vWZ.jpg

Covers
Western/Edited
CD12l29WAAAdRL7.jpg[/QUOTE]

Original Cover
Deception-IV-Another-Princess-JP-Box-Art_003.jpg

F.A.Q.

Is there a demo?
Yes! (PS4, not sure if a PS3/PSV one is coming, I'll update if so.)

How do I get the physical Vita version!?
http://www.play-asia.com/info/deception4tnp

The enemy is evading/blocking everything I do!
Use stage obstacles to your advantage, and try lots of different things.
Everyone has a weakness. If they're running at you, they will almost always be subject to flattening by an iron ball/dicing by a pendulum/flight by a spring floor.
Or just run them over with a train, that works too.

Do I need to play the earlier games?
No, each has a separate story. (But you should!)

Which one?
All of them! In my opinion, III > II > I > Trapt. But really, they're all great.

Uh... what's a Timenoid?
deception2-2.png
(I have no idea.)

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

all for me

all

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    Hopefully it's good like Deception 2.

That was my favorite in the series.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Since it's titled Kagero, that means it will almost certainly involve 2's protagonist. She was in 'Trapt'/Deception IV too, and it was Kagero II in Japan.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/19/new-deception-game-for-ps3-and-vita-coming-to-the-west/

Well that's a shocker.

Why are they calling it 'IV'? This would be V.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I bought the original Deception for my buddy for his birthday way back in the day. It was good fun to watch him play, but I never actually played it or any of the other Deception games myself.

Looking forward to grabbing this on my Vita.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Words can't convey the happiness.

Famitsu details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV_AE-566xM

7cel6Vg.jpg
    746RHGp.jpg
    z5FNWvX.jpg
    ZBpfuKA.jpg

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201310/23042074.html
    Siliconera wrote:
    Last month, Tecmo Koei announced a new Deception game is in development for PlayStation 3 and Vita, called Deception IV: Blood Ties. This week’s issue of Famitsu magazine shares some details on the latest installment of the strategy RPG series.

The producer of the game is Keisuke Kikuchi, best known as the creator of the Fatal Frame series. Hirotoaka Maeda who has done character designs for Square Enix, D3, and 5pb will also be lend a hand in designing the characters of Deception IV: Blood Ties. This time around, they’ll be putting more emphasis on the “evil” part of the game.

The protagonist is named Regrina, who is said to be the daughter of the devil. Her objective is to find the descendants of the twelve saints who sealed her father, and she will get help from three Mediums (Trap Summoners) in order to eliminate her target.

The three dark Mediums who’ll be helping her are the magnificent Kaelia, Lilia of humiliation, and Verza of cruelty.

Deception IV: Blood Ties has a huge Wizard Gear you can ride on, which can also be used as a trap. In the previous Deception games, you were only able to set three traps at a time, but this time it will allow for more set-ups. There will also be a new “Armor Break” system, that allows you to catch armored foes into traps and destroy their equipment.

Deception IV: Blood Ties is slated for release on February 27, 2014 for PlayStation 3 and Vita.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    march!

goddamnit, dont screw me on this Tecmo make it march here too.

• Options
    Pretty sure it will be. Question is, Vita or PS3... leaning towards PS3. I have the rest on consoles, why stop now?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Holy crap! I only ever played the first game in this series and thought it was brilliant!

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    March 25 US, PS3 and VITA with cross play.

FUCK YES.

• Options
    Source on that? Great news, still.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There is definitely a dominatrix theme going on in there.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Many fond memories of Deception games on the PS1.

So unusual and different that they can't help but leave an impression on you. Haven't seen anything quite like it since.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Ok, so I never heard of deception before. What is the gameplay like? First/third person? Top-down? Turn based? Real time? Strategy or action? Base building or just trap placement?

I'm kind of thinking dungeon keeper minus base building in Japan?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Morran, allow me to point you to one of my favorite sites.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/deception/deception.htm

God, this site is so cool.

It sounds like it is best to start with the second game. That is so typical with video games. TV shows are usually like that too. The second season is when they really start to get it together. Just look at the second season of Buffy or Community.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Source on that? Great news, still.

No problem, dude. Here you go.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Deception was such a different beast, remember picking up the first two games.

Dropping a bathtub on a knights head then punching from a wall only to land on a springboard. So many traps!

I am so glad we get another, more so on the vita. Portable deception? Yes please.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I vaguely remember playing a game on PS...2(?) where you were like, a princess or something. Your goal was to set up elaborate traps to kill your would be suitors.

It was pretty fun, is that what this game is?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember playing a game on PS...2(?) where you were like, a princess or something. Your goal was to set up elaborate traps to kill your would be suitors.

That was probably Trapt, which is connected to Deception/Kagero in some way.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

That was probably Trapt, which is connected to Deception/Kagero in some way.

Well, none of them are like that in terms of killing suitors. In every game they're people out to kill you.

Probably Trapt, that's the only one where you're a princess. II and III's leads are peasantry.

And Trapt's only real connection is Millennia's appearance, and some vague TMD allusions.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Speaking of Trapt, The Drop says that it will be released as a PS2 Classic in North America this week.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    I wish they'd bring over III and II, but it's a start. I still own the PS2 version.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

all for me

all

NO. YOU SHARE.

Is mine also.

I thought I was the only person on earth who actually liked this series. I know the second one added a lot to the gameplay, but the first one is still my favorite probably. Just because of how different it was and how hokey it was, and the castle building. I liked designing my own snaking hallways of death.

I'm going to have to dig out my PS2 and play all of them in order to prepare.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Suddenly I'm wishing I'd gotten myself a PSVita. Used to spend so many hours with II, murderizing those hapless adventurers.

It's like Sadistic DM: The Game. And there was the added bonus of the first one openly declaring, "Yeah, you work for Satan."

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Yep. I need to preorder. I'll go for this an Drakengard 3. If only I had time to actually play this stuff.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Dear God, it is really playing the dominatrix angle this time.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I'm not liking the sound of this. Not one bit.
    Pretas wrote:
    Deception IV is apparently being made by an entirely new team, and represents another new vision for the series. You no longer map traps to separate buttons, instead you only have a single button to activate them all. This means you can set up more traps at a time and create longer chains. During chains, traps after the first one are activated automatically when the enemy moves into place.

This sounds awful. Removing all strategy from the series.

Eh, it's not as bad as he makes it sound. There's three traps mapped to X now, and two more mapped to Circle and Triangle to make combos longer.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So basically it's like instead if having one trap per button you can equip trap combos to each button.

3 trap on square, 3 more traps on X and 3 more on triangle.

And then you activate each set, right?

That sounds improved over having just one combo in a room.

EDIT: okay missed that you said 1 trap on triangle and square but that still like having your old main trap combo on one button and then having two more traps as well.

They're basically increasing the number if traps we have by two.

Viskod on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Except the video CJ posted earlier in the thread shows like, 7 traps executed with X. Maybe there are accessories or something your main character can equip to increase the X-chain, but at the cost of spending more ark or the removal of a trap button, or reduced damage--that sort of thing.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I played through 2, 3, and 4 this week in preparation for 5. I can't find my copy of 1!! D:

I had to break out ye olde code breaker for Trapt though, just to unlock Reinas outfit from 3 at the get go.

Alicia's default costume is just so pants on head stupid ugly and I seriously gate it that much.

But god, that jump from 3 on the PSOne and 4 on the PS2 back to back made me really like Trapt more than my first time playing it just for being able to move with an analog and control the camera.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    This game is great.

I love the changes to the trap setup. It's no longer just 3 of each, you start out that way but I'm on chapter 3 now and I can bring 10 traps total at the moment.

Currently that's 3 ceiling and floor and 4 wall.

Square and Triangle are used for Abilities. You can unlock and buy more as the game goes on.

Currently I have another trap activation on triangle and a dodge roll on square. Other options were a dash move, a healing spell and an enrage spell that I could lock onto an enemy and temporarily enrage them.

I can set up 5 traps at the moment including my one on triangle and while X activates all of my main traps, you use L2 and R2 to cycle through the list and you can activate any one of them when ever you want.

Traps are not automatic and they don't have to go in a set order.

This is the best Deception in the series so far for me.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    Oh, man...that sounds so awesome.

I wonder if there's any real benefit to getting it for PS3 over Vita. Specifically, I wonder if frame rate is better. If not, I'm getting this for my Vita next paycheck.

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Oh man. I loved the first one so much. Oh and putting the disc in Monster Hunter and getting freaky mask dude blew my young mind.

Anyway I didn't really play the rest. I'm remember something about "timenoids" or some insanity I don't know?

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Timenoids was the second game. Which everyone seems to love. I always liked 3 more because of the expanded cast.

Viskod on
  • Options
    You know. Totally forgot about this. Preordering.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Heh. It is sold out on Amazon.

Amazon been a little weird lately. Allot of stuff gets sold out. It is available elsewhere.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Timenoids was the second game. Which everyone seems to love. I always liked 3 more because of the expanded cast.
    They were blue or something right? I swear I played a good portion of that game, but all I can remember is TIMENOIDS! Makes me laugh just thinking of it.

Anyway, anyone know if it's cross-buy? Google wasn't much help. I'll probably grab it if it is...

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    It is not cross buy unfortunately.