As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trip from Alaska

StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in PAX Archive
I know I have asked this before but is anyone going to PAX from AK? I was thinking of taking the ferry or flying and I wanted to see if anyone else wanted to join me! I would do the Canadian Supertrip but that starts pretty far away from me. Let me know folks!

bftgk95jb551.png

Stephidabefida on

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    dog sledding all the way down? lol, seriously, good luck on that. there are already 3 big trips planned. i'm sure there are plenty of people coming from ak, but not sure how many are up for driving.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    Steve_HardOCPSteve_HardOCP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am planning the trip (driving) and, with any luck, I am planning on linking up with the Canada crew. Two things:

A.) I am working on getting the time off from work, that is the biggest hurdle

B.) The car I am driving can only carry 1-2 other passengers comfortably (but it will be FUN :) ):

camaro_parkinglot-s.jpg

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2007
    Oooh pretty. On a side note, I'd like to see a bear try to eat you when you're encased in one of those. Go go Supertrip!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    damn, is that a '70 camaro? that thing is gorgeous, but i wouldn't put the miles on it. besides, the gas mileage will suck and how reliable can it really be?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I wouldn't suggest bringing that. Yes, it is fun, but you'd be putting upwards of 5,500 miles on it. An 80s shitbox I wouldn't think twice about, but that's a collector's item.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am planning the trip (driving) and, with any luck, I am planning on linking up with the Canada crew. Two things:

B.) The car I am driving can only carry 1-2 other passengers comfortably (but it will be FUN :) ):

camaro_parkinglot-s.jpg

Ok, let me try my camaro skills... It's defiantly a second gen body style so that puts it 1970-81. The nose and non wrapped back window puts it in the 70-74 range... but the lack of a split bumper cuts that to 72-74.... or was that just with the RS option... I can't remember. The lack of a spoiler makes me want to go with 73. The hood makes me want to go with the SS or Z28 option...

Ok, it's a 73 z28. How did I do?

And side note: I might be getting my hands on my dad's 72 RS 350 when I get out of college. and I really want to restore it. Any ideas where to start?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »

camaro_parkinglot-s.jpg

Ok, let me try my camaro skills... It's defiantly a second gen body style so that puts it 1970-81. The nose and non wrapped back window puts it in the 70-74 range... but the lack of a split bumper cuts that to 72-74.... or was that just with the RS option... I can't remember. The lack of a spoiler makes me want to go with 73. The hood makes me want to go with the SS or Z28 option...

Ok, it's a 73 z28. How did I do?

And side note: I might be getting my hands on my dad's 72 RS 350 when I get out of college. and I really want to restore it. Any ideas where to start?
    you may be right, the lack of the inner light on each side (an additional light next to the headlight) puts it at 73-74

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It is a 70. All Camaros between 1970 - 1973 were identical. The round turn signals and split bumpers is the RS option.

I've had the car 20 years, finally restored it a year ago. Every single body panel has been replaced (back of the car completely cut off, all new panels and shell of the car rust coated before reassembly). Interior completely redone. Every piece of trim, glass, weather strip, nut and bolt was replaced. Engine rebuilt. New 700R4 overdrive transmission added (for highway cruising) and electric fans. It is built and ready for another 35 years of driving :D

If you have 7 minutes and don't mind cheesy love music (to my car), I have a rather interesting video of the complete process on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMiXpNl0ods

The car is just screaming for a roadtrip ;) Plus, I can't show up to see Jerry and Mike driving a Yugo.

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »

Shoot me an e-mail at steve@hardocp.com, I have every single resource you'd need to do the car from A - Z. (watch that YouTube video I just posted)

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thats an awesome car :D

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    :D i was right to start with!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Okay, fine. Drive it down. I want to slobber all over it.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    ditto

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    Okay, fine. Drive it down. I want to slobber all over it.

i'd leave various other fluids on it :winky:

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Thanks fellas. We've done all the in state road trips we can with our local car club but hitting PAX in the car would be the "trip-of-trips" and what better place to go is there?

Arranging time off is the hardest part. We sent two people to PAX last year, round trip airfare, hotel, rental car and spending money...if I can't go, we make sure someone does :D

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks fellas. We've done all the in state road trips we can with our local car club but hitting PAX in the car would be the "trip-of-trips" and what better place to go is there?

Arranging time off is the hardest part. We sent two people to PAX last year, round trip airfare, hotel, rental car and spending money...if I can't go, we make sure someone does :D

If its meant to be, You will find a way somehow. I figure you could do some networking at the same time while your at pax. That excuse might help lessen the "Work" issue your having.

Btw, I respect someone who would want do drive such a nice car to pax. Its like breaking open the package of a collectors item, and that is just plain awesome.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, it is a bit like cracking your collectible out of the package and playing with it...but that is where the greatest joy in own the collectible lies.

Besides, I have a bunch of collectible comics that can no longer be read (after being graded)....it kinda sucks when you have something rare that you can't use :D

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm another Alaska PAer. Man, I'd really like to do this. I've got a little black Toyota and if I make enough money over the summer, that'd be a really fun trip to do with some friends. . Few questions:

How much money in gas do you expect to spend heading down the Alcan? I get about 21mpg and I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper flying. Also, how bad is parking around the Con area? I've never driven in downtown Seattle (been there a million times) so I'm a wee bit weary about driving a vehicle down into it.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, normally it'd be cheaper to drive, but Alaska Air is offering some fucking killer deals on redeye flights between Anchorage and Seattle. We're talking $196 each way, but you'd have to leave Anchorage at 2:30 in the morning. With fees and taxes it'd come out to USD$412.30 round trip, compared with around $700 for gas.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    But that 700 is divisible by the number of people riding.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    5500 miles round trip

17 gallon tank
    10 - 13 mpg on freeway (thanks to the overdrive transmission)
    220 mile per tank
    25 tanks
    $2.50 per gallon
    $195 fuel additives
    $1,063 fuel

Doing it in your totally restored 1970 SS Camaro = priceless ;)

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I still have to get you guys that parking map. I have it all typed out but haven't found the time to input the info into a map of the area.

ILL DO IT AFTER SAKURACON I SWEAR!

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    5500 miles round trip

17 gallon tank
    220 mile per tank
    25 tanks
    $2.50 per gallon
    $195 fuel additives
    $1,063 fuel

Doing it in your totally restored 1970 SS Camaro = priceless ;)

$2.50 a gallon? Holy shit I wish it was still that here. (I commute to work 130 miles every day...)

Once you get close to WA/Vancouver it will go above $3 /gal :(

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Wow, that is a bummer :(

Alaska has no state tax, no sales tax and our gas tax is a minimum. I forgot how much Oregon and Washington pay in gas taxes :(

You guys are paying something insane like almost $0.50 a gallon in taxes (18 cents to feds, 28 cents to state)

Hell, I wouldn't care...I get something like 2 dinosaurs to a tank every time I drive that beast and I enjoy the hell out of it every time ;)

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow, that is a bummer :(

Alaska has no state tax, no sales tax and our gas tax is a minimum. I forgot how much Oregon and Washington pay in gas taxes :(

You guys are paying something insane like almost $0.50 a gallon in taxes (18 cents to feds, 28 cents to state)

Hell, I wouldn't care...I get something like 2 dinosaurs to a tank every time I drive that beast and I enjoy the hell out of it every time ;)

You're telling me... I got to borrow my camero for the weekend... and even though I burned through an entire tank of gas in about 3 days... there is no feeling like knowing there is nobody on the state route at 3am and just opening it up and seeing how fast you're willing to go. :D (BTW it's right under 120 for me)

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    lordthandalordthanda Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    120? My Voyager can barely maintain 95. And that causes it to start shaking and shuttering.

lordthanda on
    -LT the BP
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    I'm another Alaska PAer. Man, I'd really like to do this. I've got a little black Toyota and if I make enough money over the summer, that'd be a really fun trip to do with some friends. . Few questions:

How much money in gas do you expect to spend heading down the Alcan? I get about 21mpg and I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper flying. Also, how bad is parking around the Con area? I've never driven in downtown Seattle (been there a million times) so I'm a wee bit weary about driving a vehicle down into it.

a "little toyota" and it only gets 21mpg on the freeway? is that even possible?!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    no word back from the OP on this thread either?

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Exactly how many PA readers in Alaska are planning to make the trip? We can AT LEAST go as a caravan of marauding motorist.

Steve_HardOCP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    exactly? i'd say about 45.742. :lol: you can't really know, because many people, even those who will make the trip, won't wind up reading these posts.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    We must spread the word! To your blogs people!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Maybe we can get a call-to-cars in the next PAX newspost?

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'd love to see us linked in the Travel section of the PAX page

edit: while the main page post Gabe gave the supertrips was a great boost to our traffic and brought a few people out of the woodwork, it was only up for one weekend, and as soon as that Monday's post went up, our traffic dropped back to it's normal levels of 15-50 pageviews a day. With a PAX page post somewhere, such as in the travel section, it offers a little more permanency to the exposure of the links.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Well, it's nice to know that others from AK are going to PAX, I think I might hold out until next year though. If I do make it I think I'm gonna take one of the red-eye flights from Alaska Air. It will just be easier in the long run.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Easier yes, more fun-- not so much. In any event, if a group comes down from Alaska, you're more than welcome to join the Canadian Supertrip (effectively creating the first International Supertrip).

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I should mention that any Supertrip that has participants that cross international borders is international and that we have Canadians too, damn it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    true right enough, I ain't bitin' on yo steeze.

b0wser on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    5500 miles round trip

17 gallon tank
    220 mile per tank

I drive a Honda Insight.

10 gallon tank
    50-55 mpg on freeway (thanks to the hybrid technology)
    525 miles per tank

:P

anable on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Does anyone know where is the closest place is to meet up with the Canadian Supertrip from Alaska? From what I can tell I will still be making most of the trip by myself even if I do that, which is what I am trying to avoid.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, closest point when coming from the north would be Vancouver. If we had someone coming from Prince George then that might be a little different, but I haven't been able to recruit any of the people I know there.

b0wser on
This discussion has been closed.