As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving to Singapore, and I still need to play games!

WolfeWolfe Registered User new member
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
So my boss just told me that I'm probably going to get transfered to Singapore this summer. (I currently live in Houston). I've been holding off on buying an xbox 360 or PS3, because I can't decide which one I want. Since I'll be moving soon, that further complicates the decision. Should I wait until the move to buy one, or can I buy one in the US and take it with me? Are the games regionalized? Can either machine do NTSC and PAL, or will I need to buy another TV once I get there? Does having a 220V plug make any difference? If worse comes to worse, I'll always have my PC, but I would like to have a console too. So, what can I expect from moving to Asia? Thanks!

Wolfe on

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pirated games are two bucks apiece in Singapore and you can find them anywhere. Do not buy them and be wary if you buy anything from shops even if it looks legal. It's very hard to tell. It's spillover from the last generation when the major consoles wouldn't be sold in China due to piracy...and the problem is fixed by piracy...

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey, guess what, that's against the rules. Don't condone piracy on these boards.

Captain K on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When i was in Singapore last summer all the 360 & PC games were PAL releases. Also all you need is a plug adapter for your electronics which is sold in almost any electronic or tourist shop. Also everything is damn expensive compared to here.

And for Ra's sake don't fucking spit on the ground

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Hey, guess what, that's against the rules. Don't condone piracy on these boards.

Nice knee-jerk reaction. He didn't condone anything. He simply stated a fact.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »

Nice knee-jerk reaction. He didn't condone anything. He simply stated a fact.

If you have a problem with a moderator's actions, discuss it via PMs. This thread isn't the place for it.

If you don't have anything related to the topic to discuss, stay out of this thread.

Captain K on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When i was in Singapore last summer all the 360 & PC games were PAL releases. Also all you need is a plug adapter for your electronics which is sold in almost any electronic or tourist shop. Also everything is damn expensive compared to here.

And for Ra's sake don't fucking spit on the ground
    I'm surprised they don't censor videogames.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    http://www.gameaxis.com/home/?blog=1214
    Looks like Singapore has banned God of War II. If you want to play it, I would suggest getting it now.

"Films, videos, video games, laser discs and CD-ROMs are subject to censorship by:

The Board of Film Censors (BFC)
    Tel: (65) 6738-2678
    Hotline: 1800-736-2231 (toll-free in Singapore)

Videos may be banned if they carry excessive violence, sex and nudity, and scenes depicting drug abuse. Those with themes that are objectionable on moral, social, religious and racial grounds may also be banned. Check out the BFC's specific import procedures for exempted videos, video games and CD-ROMs.

If you bring in controlled materials through checkpoints or by parcel post, declare the materials and deposit with Customs, who will issue a receipt (at checkpoints) or notification card (for parcel post).

If you bring in such materials through courier service or cargo consignments, you need to obtain an import permit through your handling agent from the CUP/BFC by fax (738-2686) or TradeNet.

The CUP/BFC will check the materials. Items exempted from censorship can then be collected. With effect from 16 February 1996, the following video categories are exempted, based on your declaration in accordance with BFC guidelines:

* Training, educational and industrial
    * Promotional and advertising (except promotional clips of music, movies, TV dramas, serials, etc.)
    * Ballet, opera, classical and jazz
    * Documentary
    * Sports
    * Cartoons meant for children
    * Local TV programmes
    * Pre-1966 movies from selected countries
    * Personal recordings

Non-exempted items are referred to the CUP/BFC. You can go to the CUP/BFC with the deposit receipt (for checkpoints) or notification card (for parcel post) issued by Customs and fill out a censorship submission form. Alternatively, you can send the authorisation slip (attached to the deposit receipt) or a letter/fax with the parcel number to the CUP/BFC, authorising it to censor the materials. If sent by courier service or cargo consignment, you can authorise your handling agent to submit the materials on your behalf.

If your materials are detained, you will receive a detention notice. You may appeal against the decision in writing within 14 days. If you do not wish to appeal, you may re-export the materials at own expense or have the CUP/BFC dispose of them at no charge.

If you wish to keep the materials, you need to pay a processing fee to have them censored. The fees are:
    For publications: No charge

For non-exempted videos
    Entertainment videos: $3 per half hour or part thereof (for private and domestic use)
    Religious videos: No charge for private and domestic use (except certificate fee)
    Certificate fee: $1 per video
    Erasure fee (where applicable): $5 per half hour or part thereof, for removing any objectionable scenes

For films
    Advertising/entertainment films: $10 per 100 metres
    Training films: $5 per 100 metres
    Certificate fee: $5 per film
    "
    I have no clue how this applies to video games.

Couscous on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Actually, isn't there a ban list in China? I mean not just things like C&C Generals and threats to the State, I mean games that can get you in legal trouble... I know China's not Singapore and Singapore's not Malaysia but there's an influence there.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Money spent on pirated games funds terrorism.

Anyway, I don't even know where Singapore is. Guess that's what I get for being American. Aren't there special adapters for foreign countries so your shit can work/not get fried?

JJ on
  • Options
    ValeeValee Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm from Singapore.

Xbox360 premium package (console + a game, usually DoA4) costs SGD699 (USD 461) and most of its games cost about SGD 69 (USD 46) .

Games are in NTSC format. So are the TVs here.

Electronics run in 220V. You can buy an adapter from most household appliance/electronic shops if you wish to use a 110V appliance here. I don't see why you can't bring in your own console if you want.

[EDIT]
    As for region format, we are under the Japanese section.

Valee on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Pirated games are two bucks apiece in Singapore and you can find them anywhere. Do not buy them and be wary if you buy anything from shops even if it looks legal. It's very hard to tell. It's spillover from the last generation when the major consoles wouldn't be sold in China due to piracy...and the problem is fixed by piracy...

They aren't that common nowadays, there were major crackdowns in the recent years, so don't even bother.

Living in Singapore since forever, I've always lamented the lack of Sony and Nintendo support down here. The fact that games are banned for violence is just pathetic too, not to mention that some games are just god damn hard to find. For example, the SSX series is almost no where to be found (PS2 Versions). I suggest you go down the Xbox360 route in Singapore, the amount of support Microsoft gives to Singapore means you can't really go wrong. PS3 and Wii? Well... Don't bet on them just yet, especially the Wii.

Note that you can't really play with anyone out of the South East Asian region in Singapore on the 360, outside Hong Kong or even Malaysia, the connection starts lagging. So you might want to pick up some Singaporean gamertags soon.

Hope you'll like it here in Singapore.

Edit: Gamertag's Inzigna.

Edit: Nice to know I'm not the only one from Singapore around these boards.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png