As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, September 16, 2013 - The Tithe, Part Five

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited September 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Anyone else think she's summoning the Thornwatch into a trap?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    The Thornwatch are Lookouts who turned from the path, right? If the Lookouts are the enemy of the Daughters of the Eyrewood, I would think the Thornwatch are their friends.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That center dude looks upset.

"Make it quick. McDonald's stops serving breakfast in thirty minutes."

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Where do people learn about the whole "lookouts are enemies" business? I thought the daughters were just female lookouts. And that lookouts were boy scouts with monsters.
    Since there haven't been loads of comics its REALLY hard to keep track of all that's chucked at me here.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    I doubt it's a trap. She's young, she's scared, the last conversation she had put her into half a panic and now she's just trying to call whoever it is she thinks can help somehow. She is clearly not on board with the whole tree-for-a-head deal.

Love the little touch Mike put in. You can see she's crying in the last panel, but it's a very subtle effect.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It was the blood dripping from her hands for me.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's not so much that the Lookouts are enemies but rather that the girl probably doesn't want to face her family with the whole being a chia pet.

There have been hints that the elders in charge of the lookouts have overly harsh and unneccesary ways of dealing with things. Samson, the eyepatched master of the boys we know, butts heads with the elders in the Kitten Teeth guest comic and the Cryptozoic comic because the elders seem to want to put the boys in situations over their heads.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Also I would say she called the Thornwatch herself rather than as some kind of trap.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, there's absolutely no evidence of her summoning them to a trap as opposed to her desperately looking for help with her little cephalic garden.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I wish I knew more about knots.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Oooooh, unexpected twists.
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's not so much that the Lookouts are enemies but rather that the girl probably doesn't want to face her family with the whole being a chia pet.

There have been hints that the elders in charge of the lookouts have overly harsh and unneccesary ways of dealing with things. Samson, the eyepatched master of the boys we know, butts heads with the elders in the Kitten Teeth guest comic and the Cryptozoic comic because the elders seem to want to put the boys in situations over their heads.

It's more than wanting to put the boys in over their heads. There is clearly some kind of pact of between something in the forest and the humans, and feeding them the odd inexperienced lookout is somehow part of the deal.

The Lookouts follow the rules and protect the people, despite the rules somehow involving you not interfering with a fight between a child and ravenous monster.

The Thornwatch think the rules are bullshit and live outside the system as outcasts. They seem to be willing to help any who ask, at the price of the system casting you out as well.

The Daughters, beyond the fact that young girls are called and claimed by the forest, seemingly against their will, we have no idea as yet to their motivations or actions. Wait and see I guess!

There really needs to be an offical Lookouts page with links to the various strips. That or maybe a stickied forum post in this sub-forum.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Welp, she's dead.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Actually, I never considered how truly scary flowers growing out of your head must be when you imagine what kind of hell bees that forest must produce.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    The Thornwatch are Lookouts who turned from the path, right? If the Lookouts are the enemy of the Daughters of the Eyrewood, I would think the Thornwatch are their friends.

I'm expecting a horrible irony, and it will so happen that the Thornwatch are sworn enemies of the Daughters.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    We've never seen the Thornwatch (or anyone, really) use magic, but that dude on the right is CLEARLY a druid.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Jesus... dis series.

Last panel gave me goosebumps!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    NazadelNazadel Registered User new member
    This is really amazing, just like the previous thing with the space cowboys.

I vaguely remember the Lookouts comics, and a Thornwatch game or something. Does anybody have a recap of everything we know about this setting, and links to the previous comics that have been posted in this setting (e.g. the Lookouts)?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    There really needs to be an offical Lookouts page with links to the various strips. That or maybe a stickied forum post in this sub-forum.

yes x 1,000

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Loving the art.

Less loving the writing.

• Options
    geniekidgeniekid Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    +1 on it being a trap. One she has unwillingly set.

EDIT: What I meant was "unwittingly", not unwillingly. Though after reading the accompanying blog post it may be just an honest plea for help.

geniekid on
  • Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    Not a trap - she is alone and scared, and called the only people she thinks will help. They come, but my bet is they know the score, and won't touch her. She has been called and claimed by the Eyrewood, and I think the Thornwatch (living in the Wood) will have a healthy respect for that process. Or, they ask her really seriously if she doesn't want to be a tree girl, and if she wants out they will pay the price and defy the Eyrewood to get her free. I believe the Thornwatch isn't strictly dudes?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I see no reason to believe it is a trap. The girl is terrified and has called on the Thornwatch because she has nowhere else to turn. But my guess is that the Thornwatch cannot help her now.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Since the Daughters were introduced, I've had a strong war-of-the-genders sense from how they're described (especially from that bit of verse). This would be something Hannah would be doing deliberately, after her initial shock (and acceptance), as part of her initiation and/or her new life - acting as bait for unwary, scornful, arrogant men.

Here's how I see it going down:

Thornwatch leader: "Why have you summoned us, girl?"

(elder Daughters 'decloak' all around them)

Big Sister: "So that you may be pwnt, Watchman."

(pwning ensues)

• Options
    Adam CasalinoAdam Casalino New York (in my heart)Registered User regular
    Yeah it looks like this girl doesn't want to be called and is seeking help.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Heres what I want: An Eyrewood RPG book. You could be a Lookout, a Thornwatch, a Daughter, or like a merchant or a traveler through the forest. Maybe get to see how much of this world is covered in forest. I bet its most of it.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Heres what I want: An Eyrewood RPG book. You could be a Lookout, a Thornwatch, a Daughter, or like a merchant or a traveler through the forest. Maybe get to see how much of this world is covered in forest. I bet its most of it.

Ah. So it's a planet in Star Wars.

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Or if it isn't... what happens when someone from outside decides to encroach on the forest? As in, 'these trees need to get out of here so I can put up a billboard'. I imagine it wouldn't be pretty.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Gabe's newspost, featuring word on the dramatic improvement in his hand art:
    Page 5 has Hanna scared and alone in the forest doing the only thing she can think of, Calling the Thornwatch. We’ve spoken of them before on the site and even did a little three part comic based on them. The comic was from the point of view of the Lookouts though and they see the Thornwatch as oath breakers and criminals. Boys are warned to never call the Thornwatch no matter how dire their situation is.

In reality the Thornwatch is probably not nearly as bad as the boys think. They are men and women who have left their duties true but they have found new purpose helping those in need. I like to think of them as the A-Team of the Eyrewood. They are summoned by tying a wreath of thorns around a birch tree. The knot you tie (and the blood you shed) finishes the spell that summons the Thornwatch and also informs them of your particular problem.

All of this was cooked up for the card game I created awhile back. It’s a tabletop RPG that has each character represented by a deck of cards. You play as member as members of the Thornwatch and in fact all three of the characters in today’s comic are playable in the game. From left to right you have the Blade, the Warrior, and the Greenheart. As far as the game goes I’ve decided to re-dedicate myself to getting this thing out so that you can play it. We’re currently exploring a few different options but ideally I’d like to see it available next year.

This page was a lot of fun to draw. I struggled at first getting the right pose for Hanna. I’ve never been a scared little girl and so I was having a really hard time. I asked Katie for some advice (it’s so rad that she is in the office now!) and she came in and took a look at the page. I told her what I was going for and she sat down on the floor and pulled her knees up to her chin. “don’t move!” I said and frantically started sketching. Later I had Jamie come in and help me with the hands. She’s been by go to hand model for this entire project so if they look good you can thank her.

Here’s what the original sketch looked like

i-HQJnvd2-X2.jpg

and here is a nice high res version.

i-6m6cPXx-X2.jpg

So Hanna has summoned the Thornwatch. Will they help her? Can they help her? Tune in Wednesday!

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Still loving the art.

Story just lost me. This fledgling universe didn't need its first girl-centered tale to have a resolution involving calling big gruff dudes to come save her from a flower curse.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited September 2013
    We have no idea if they're "rescuing" her or not. Either way, she still has agency in the situation. It's her that called them.

Tube on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    And in that newspost just quoted above he straight up says theres women in the Thornwatch, its just they didn't happen to show up in this one.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were former Daughters in the Thornwatch.

• Options
    DeserterKalakDeserterKalak Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Story just lost me. This fledgling universe didn't need its first girl-centered tale to have a resolution involving calling big gruff dudes to come save her from a flower curse.

The first time we saw the Thornwatch was when a crying little boy called Captain Scareye there?

Personally, I don't think they are going to save her : / I know the defining feature of the Thornwatch is that they're renegades (or possibly just the scared children that broke the rules by calling on the Thornwatch, now paying off the debt they incurred), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if their power is limited, such that they take one look at her and say "aw, shit, she's Becoming. Nothing we can do about this one, guys, remember the Treaty. She belongs to the Forest now" and just up and leave her there.

• Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    This is the first time a story from this universe has really grabbed me. I thought the Lookouts stuff and the brief Thornwatch comic set were well drawn, but I didn't care much for the story.

I am 100% invested in this story though. I really want to know what's going to happen to her.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    My favorite art in this comic is actually panel two. I like the look of feverish but focused determination. Hanna's mind is completely consumed with the task of making these wreaths because she cannot allow her mind to wander to anything else, can't face it. Then once the wreaths are done and there's nothing to do but sit and wait there's nothing she can distract herself with and the fear returns and the tears come.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Personally, I don't think they are going to save her : / I know the defining feature of the Thornwatch is that they're renegades (or possibly just the scared children that broke the rules by calling on the Thornwatch, now paying off the debt they incurred), but I wouldn't be at all surprised if their power is limited, such that they take one look at her and say "aw, shit, she's Becoming. Nothing we can do about this one, guys, remember the Treaty. She belongs to the Forest now" and just up and leave her there.
    Mmm, I don't think so. Gabe specifically modeled these characters after the heroes from his card game. I don't think "hey guys, play the anti-heroes who came to a scared girl's call and just kinda left" is the sort of intro he'd want for them? I think that's probably what has irked me the most -- the feeling that the story is actually a selling piece for Thornwatch "hey come play these cool dudes in this new game" and will no longer be the girl's story moving forward.

But I don't really know anything! Next strip could bring me back. I'll be reading it regardless.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I don't know if it was intentional, but based on the symbolism/imagery of what's happening to Hanna, it would sort of make sense if the Thornwatch was powerless to stop it.

• Options
    Mmm, I don't think so. Gabe specifically modeled these characters after the heroes from his card game. I don't think "hey guys, play the anti-heroes who came to a scared girl's call and just kinda left" is the sort of intro he'd want for them?

The Thornwatch had a previous series of strips devoted entirely to them as an intro already.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Mmm, I don't think so. Gabe specifically modeled these characters after the heroes from his card game. I don't think "hey guys, play the anti-heroes who came to a scared girl's call and just kinda left" is the sort of intro he'd want for them?

The Thornwatch had a previous series of strips devoted entirely to them as an intro already.
    These are the specifically playable ones (or at least three of them). Was that the case before? Can't remember much about the previous set.