As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2014 Coin Thread (Second Run Orders Open) Updated April 5th

flatlineflatline Registered User regular
edited April 2014 in PAX East
Update 2014-04-05 (Raughn): You can order coins from the second run using this form. Orders cut-off on April 10, 2014. The coins ship on or about May 10, 2014.

Previous updates:
Update 29MAR2014 (Raughn): Okay, pre-orders for the potential second run are closed. I don't know if it will happen yet. We did not meet the minimum, but the number of commitments is pretty high. I have contacted Eric to see if he will consider opening the form again for the number of commitments we have. I will let everyone know when I know.

Valentine's Day Update (Raughn): Orders to receive the PAX East 2014 Challenge Coin ( ducks / controllers ) in time for the convention have closed. To help those who missed the opportunity to order, there will be a two step order process to purchase a coin from a potential second run.

Cost will be $7.00 per coin, plus $5.15 for Priority Mail shipping (shipping cost for International orders would vary). If you are 100% certain that you want to order, please read and complete this form.

If we pass a certain threshold for order commitments, Phoenix Challenge Coins will open a final order form for the second run, and I will provide the link. The Phoenix form will be how the order is completed and paid for, so it is crucial that everyone follow-up on their commitment.

My Google form will be open until 3/25/14, so we have until then to gather enough orders.

Update 10FEB2014: Any orders that can be placed through the form will be honored. We are in a bit of a “bonus period” right now, but the form will go down soon (likely in the AM hours of 2/11/14, could be sooner).

If you know anyone who forgot, or who is on the fence, please encourage them to order ASAP. Based on the number of orders we have so far, I doubt there will be enough interest for a second run.

The samples have been made and Eric provided some images, have a look at the final product:

Side by side.

Ducks close-up.

Controllers close-up.

Update 20JAN2014: Okay everyone, coins are ready to order! I have arranged for Phoenix Challenge Coins to handle the orders directly. The last day to order coins is 2/8/14 (That is 8 FEBRUARY, not 2 August, clearly. Sorry non-US people for our weird date system). Assuming no issues with manufacturing, coins should ship on or about 3/10/14.

Donation info for the die was here, but is gone because enough was collected. Thanks everyone!

For orders within the US of 10 coins or less, follow this link. The orders will be sent via USPS Priority Mail.

For international orders, or orders of more than 11 coins, please send an email to Eric at: sales@PhoenixChallengeCoins.com
...with your name, complete shipping address, and how many coins you want. Eric will reply with the cost of shipping for your order, and instructions for how to complete the order.

On the main image for the order form, you will see a difference between the controller concept and the last image I posted here. The shading is different, and there is no specific note for the screen depth. To keep a long, anxiety-riddled story short: Looking at how accurately last year's coin turned out, originating only from rasterized art, I decided that trying to micromanage the depths could do more harm than good. I can provide more details on the decision, and the exchange with Phoenix, if anyone is interested.

ART:
FinalConcept_zpsdfce0d33.jpg

MORE BIGGERER ART: http://goo.gl/NNdCsg

NOTE: The above update is courtesy of @Raughn, as I have been almost entirely out of pocket during the past few months. Please direct all thanks and goodwill to the appropriate people, as always this was a community effort and people stepped up in a big way.

OP:
It's getting to be that time kids. In order to ensure adequate time for proofs, dies, ordering, and shipping, we need to start this ball rolling now-ish. Last year KoalaBro2 handled most of the details. I don't know if he's planning on doing it again, but right now he has the most experience. SkeleVader handled the Prime process, but they ran into trouble with the shipment getting lost/stolen. Unfortunately I'm working full time and in class 4 nights a week, so I only have enough time to put this up and hope someone in the community can act as the point person.

What is a Challenge Coin?
To appropriate some prose from SkeleVader: A challenge coin is a unique souvenir that will display your participation in this year’s event. Each PAX an unofficial coin is designed specifically for the event by this community. The tradition arguably started with the military (where it remains strong), but all sorts of challenge coins are issued these days, both to signify unit/group camaraderie and commemorate an event.

What We Have Done Before
2011: Dice&Card/Paul Revere Statue
2012: Arcade Cabinet/USS Constitution
2013: Linked Gameboys/Zakim Bridge
(This will be the fifth PAX East, but there was no challenge coin issued for the inaugural edition)

General Details
The coin is usually 1.75" in diameter, finished with smooth edges and a satin nickel plating (Prime often does a bronze/brass finishing, but East has always been silver). Some people prefer reeded edges (think of a quarter or dime), but traditionally challenge coins have a smooth edge - reeds were added to currency when it supposed to be a given weight of actual gold/silver to prevent people from slicing off the edge of the coin (literally skimming money). We took a vote last year and although it was close, smooth won.

Each year we feature an aspect of gaming on the Obverse, with the outer edge of the coin reading "Numquam Mentula Es" (basically, Don't Be a Dick) and "Welcome Home".

On the Reverse aspect, we feature a landmark of the host city, as well as the date of the Con.

Notional Schedule
This was the schedule that was used last time:
Until October 20: Brainstorming/general discussion. Someone taking over the coordination. I would assume we stick with Phoenix, but I'd like to hear from @KoalaBro2 and @SkeleVader about their experiences and suggestions.
October 21-November 10: Submission of mock-ups and designs based on the agreed-upon theme.
November 11-November 25: Work with Phoenix to finalize designs.
After November 25: Collect money, approve designs for Phoenix, take orders. (I'm not sure how satisfied KoalaBro2/SkeleVader were with the process, but hopefully they can chime in)

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
zerzhul on

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I didn't want to take up the OP with my suggestions, so here they are: last year, the idea of using the BCEC itself as the landmark was put forth, and I proposed using it for PAX East V, perhaps having that on the marquis/sign if possible.

As for the gaming aspect, we (East) have done cards/dice, arcade, and linked gameboys. Prime has done PC gaming (mouse+WASD), a D-Pad, a hand holding up a Gameboy DS, and a meeple on a hex board with dice. So we have covered, often multiple times, most aspects of gaming. Therefore I'm of the opinion that anything is fair game this year. I don't have a suggestion as yet.

NOTE - Every year, people suggest very intricate designs, which would admittedly be awesome. However, we are very limited in the art that can be transferred with any fidelity to a coin, especially when we are trying to keep the unit cost under $10/coin. So I apologize if you really want to see a coin with the PAX Forum Crest or something, but it just isn't going to happen. We need to communicate more with less.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    BinaryTBBinaryTB Registered User regular
    I haven't thought this through all the way yet, but was thinking possibly on one side we could have "Boston Strong" or a logo representing it. Maybe somebody more creative can take that idea and run with it...?

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    OK, this is just brainstorming here. I like the idea of something with Boston Strong for the landmark/location side, and on the game side either something pc related or something role playing related.

I would also like to propose another coin, or atleast judge others reactions for it. I think it would be neat to do a 2010 coin for the first year of PAX East and let that coin have the BCEC for the location/landmark. I haven't thought about the gaming side for this yet. I would be willing to pay a premium for it. Even more than what it costs to make if the extra proceeds went to a charity like Childs Play.

Again, these are my first thoughts. I'll probably have a few more later (it's 9pm and i'm tired, hehe). I really like the idea for a 2010 coin, though. I think that if we could find a good payment/delivery method that would allow it to be advertised, it would allow the whole idea of PAX coins to get out to a much larger audience. Again, though, I stress that this would be a no profit affair, with the extra funds going to a charity.

• Options
    Oh +1 on the 2010 PAX East coin! But I think instead of BCEC we should have the Hynes Convention Center (or better yet, Newbury St!) for the location/landmark, since that's where it was held. Possibly Boston Commons, Fenway, or the Prudential building since they're all relatively close to Hynes.

• Options
    TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    I'm not even a huge console gamer, but PS4/XBone would seem to be good fits for the gaming side as release commemorations.
    If there's a way to do the Boston Marathon finish line (finish line on the ground, runner silhouette(s)) w/ Boston Strong on the landmark side, I think that would be good too (I'd also recommend tacking on a $1 premium to the coins to be donated if this is done, personally)

JQ1qRPt.png
  • Options
    Oooo, I forgot about the Hynes for 2010! That would be good for that coin! Then the BCEC could be on the 2014 coin. Then we could still tack an extra dollar on both to go towards the Boston Strong charity. Right now, i'm only saying this because I can't come up with a good idea for Boston Strong on the coin.

• Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    I really like that idea temig

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2013
    I think it would be silly to do a pax east 2010 coin, especially since that was before the very first community challenge coin. It's not like it was somehow forgotten, it was just before this thing got started.

I also love the Boston Strong movement, but hate the idea of piggybacking onto it with this. I'm not sure I can easily explain why I feel that way, but I do.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I think it would be silly to do a pax east 2010 coin, especially since that was before the very first community challenge coin. It's not like it was somehow forgotten, it was just before this thing got started.

I also love the Boston Strong movement, but hate the idea of piggybacking onto it with this. I'm not sure I can easily explain why I feel that way, but I do.

I agree Zerzhul, on both points. I don't think we need to put out a 2010 coin. Would we limit it to only people that were at PAX East 2010 (good luck)? No need to revisit that.

In a similar vein, putting Boston Strong on the coin gives the impression that we are affiliated with that. If you want to make a Boston Strong coin, that's one thing, but this is the PAX community coin. I am all for supporting charities, but let's be honest - even if we added $1 to each coin, we would be giving maybe $500 to them. I'd rather just bring the coins in at low cost and do my own giving with a more meaningful donation.

I actually kind of like the idea of using the Big Green Monster for the Boston image, but I'm not sure how well it would translate.

flatline on
  • Options
    Just because there wasn't one for 2010 doesn't mean you can't still have one. Now is the fifth anniversary, so why not make one for the first year of PAX East. So there can be a complete set, one for every year. If you want to do that for Prime, then I think that would be good too. And I didn't say anything about limiting it. I do believe that the only prerequisite to buying a coin is just being on the forum, then saying you want one and paying for it. I don't remember having to show proof of purchase of a badge to be able to get a coin.

• Options
    TemigTemig East [E] North Shore - MARegistered User regular
    If you want to use the Green Monster, an overall shot of Fenway would likely translate better (this, this, or this). Either that or go with Wally

JQ1qRPt.png
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    i also like the fenway park idea

• Options
    jdixon1972 wrote: »
    Just because there wasn't one for 2010 doesn't mean you can't still have one. Now is the fifth anniversary, so why not make one for the first year of PAX East. So there can be a complete set, one for every year. If you want to do that for Prime, then I think that would be good too. And I didn't say anything about limiting it. I do believe that the only prerequisite to buying a coin is just being on the forum, then saying you want one and paying for it. I don't remember having to show proof of purchase of a badge to be able to get a coin.

I think the point was that it is an item that shows some camaraderie around a particular pax. A way to say "yeah I participated in this community production around this particular event". Making them for events in the past sort of defeats that purpose. You didn't say anything about limiting it, no, but in general to get one of a particular year, you have to at least be paying attention to the forums around that particular pax. It's self limiting by nature. One for a pax in the past would have to have an asterisk by it saying "not really for people that were around during this pax."

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Could we atleast see what others think before zerzhul and flatline totally rule it out?

jdixon1972 on
  • Options
    Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    BinaryTB wrote: »
    Oh +1 on the 2010 PAX East coin! But I think instead of BCEC we should have the Hynes Convention Center (or better yet, Newbury St!) for the location/landmark, since that's where it was held. Possibly Boston Commons, Fenway, or the Prudential building since they're all relatively close to Hynes.

Love the idea of a coin for 2010 and my first thought was no to BCEC it has to be Hynes as that was PAX East ! glad to know I'm not the only one thinking this way

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Could we atleast see what others think before zerzhul and flatline totally rule it out?
    I can't tell you what you can and can't do with a project like that, I'm just explaining my position. Obviously others are free to do the same.

Given the history of the project and the intent of its creation, I think it's a bad idea to make retroactive coins. I definitely see the appeal in wanting to have had a coin for that pax, but the forum community surrounding that pax didn't make a coin, and I think it's disingenuous to make a coin retroactively for them. The designs have always been chosen by the forum community at the time of the event in question. When you look at an east 2012 coin, for example, there's a history there that's tied directly to the event because the people that made it happen were part of that event's forum community. Yeah some people here now may have gone to east 2010 or have been a part of that forum community, but it just doesn't fit within the series at all to look at that coin and say "there lies the pax east 2010 coin, which was designed by the pax forum community that was present around the time of pax east 2014, many of whom may have had nothing to do with pax east 2010 nor the forum community as it was at that time."

zerzhul on
  • Options
    <bane voice > I am not in charge here.

I am merely saying that this thread is/was for the 2014 coin. I encourage those that want to organize a coin for 2010 or charity do so in a different thread to keep communication clear for those that just want the coin for this year.

• Options
    I will also echo that post, if you want to start a project for a pax east 2010 coin, let's not muddy up this year's creation with it.

• Options
    DelaneyDelaney Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I'd be interested in getting a coin for PAX East 2014. Unfortunately, I didn't get one last year because I didn't know about them in time. So, some random thoughts:

I'm not really in favor of the Big Green Monster. No offense to baseball fans, but I just don't see a way something like that could be recognizably depicted on a coin without having to be explained, which rather defeats the purpose. It would be like depicting a bit of park and expecting people to recognize it as the Boston Common. Also... it's a wall. As such, it's rather devoid of aesthetically pleasing detail and it's most defining characteristic is a color which can't be shown on a coin. If there's something else about the structure of Fenway itself that is immediately recognizable, that would work better although I can't think of anything else it's really known for having that would seem to work well.

Personally, I'd love to see the BCEC front facade with the arching roofline on it, if only because being there and seeing it for the first time was rather exciting for me. Other than that, something like an outline of Faneuil Hall or the Old North Church Spire would seem apt.

I don't yet have any strong feeling for the flip side (gaming), though I wouldn't mind seeing something PC related as it hasn't been done for East. In this respect, I don't really care that Prime has done it, but the problem is that it's hard to simply depict. This will require further thought.

I didn't go to PAX East 2010, so I have no interest in a coin for it. Even if I had, I don't think I'd want one as the whole process seems like it should be part of that year's experience. Also, I'd rather the focus be on a 2014 coin.

And finally, while I support Boston Strong, I don't think it's right for the PAX coin. As was said, the whole idea makes me uneasy. Upon further thought, this may partially be that by the time PAX East next rolls around, it will have been almost a year since the bombings. I'm not sure a commemorative coin linked to the bombings, especially at that time, is such a good idea.

Delaney on
    "I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

Steam: delaney_a

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure about the Boston Strong thing myself... though if it could be in the picture but not the main focus, that might be kind of neat.

I like the ideas of using Fenway Park and the BCEC, but maybe we could use the BCEC next year for the 5th anniversary of being there?

As for the gaming side, could we do something Rock Band related maybe? Harmonix is located in MA and it might be a cool nod to do something with the instruments there, imo at least.

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Irrational is there too, could have a nod to Bioshock infinite with a Patriot. Without getting deep with the marathon you could simply use the words Boston Strong together with a landmark image.

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    With all due respect to the spirit of resolve and community represented by “Boston Strong,” it brings to mind things I would rather not think about when I look at the East challenge coin.

I love the idea of using the BCEC for 2014. It's distinct, significant to the event, and looks super cool. The fifth anniversary aspect is muddy, since the first East was at a different location...but since it's likely to be used in 2014 or 2015, I'd say go with '14 since “fifth year of the event” is a simpler reason. :)

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Didn't last year we talk about doing the Make Way for Ducklings statues on the local side of the coin? It was the runner up in the voting if I'm not mistaking so the idea was floated of making that this years design.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    gigabrain wrote: »
    Didn't last year we talk about doing the Make Way for Ducklings statues on the local side of the coin? It was the runner up in the voting if I'm not mistaking so the idea was floated of making that this years design.

I don't recall that, but after Googling the statues, I can get behind it.

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Wow, this got busy quick! A few comments. First, I agree that this coin should be specific to PAX East 2014, and not crossed with either Boston Strong (while obviously a worthy cause, it is an independent organization, which probably has certain intellectual property rights to the "Boston Strong" slogan) or 2010 (coins are always minted for the year they're distributed; absent a time machine, I vote for no 2010). If we do want to make any direct reference to the resilience of Boston in the face of tragedy, I'd do it in a more oblique, and more timeless way, such as the Boston Public Library where the finish line of the marathon is located (and where the attack occurred).

That being said, my first favorite idea is Make Way for Ducklings. I think that would be fantastic, and also adorbz. I've never liked the idea of the convention center (we're there already and convention centers are giant, soulless buildings in remote locations, considered "landmarks" only by those who are actually attending the convention). If we must do it, as noted, the convention was at the Hayes the first year, so the 5th anniversary of PAX at the BCEC would really 2015. If we were to do something colonial-era per Abby's suggestion, we just have to make sure we distinguish it from Paul Revere the first year (I suppose we could always do someone else. Hey, maybe Abigail Adams/Boston Women's Memorial?)

No ideas off the cuff for the gaming side.

Regarding logistics, Phoenix worked well for me. Eric, my contact there, suggested to me that he expected to be able to take orders directly (rather than relying on a single volunteer to collect payments and stuff boxes) by next year, so we may want to follow up on that. Timeline should be good, although I think last year I adjusted it when it seemed like discussion was dying down and we may as well move on. Also worth noting is that PAX is later this year, so we've got more time. I also had a theft scare myself on one package, although I believe the issue was simply that the USPS lied about when it was delivered, as it showed up intact and unharmed about 1 week after they claimed to have delivered it. Nevertheless, if we do rely on a volunteer, I suggest we try to find someone who can receive deliveries to some sort of secure location (i.e., you've got a large mail slot, or a work mailroom that doesn't mind personal deliveries or some such). I do have a modest surplus from last year (I'll have to check my notes, but I believe in the neighborhood of $100) which gives us a running start toward paying for the die.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I'd just like to point out that not all of us were involved in last year's discussion and it would be nice to include everyone who is participating this year. That being said, it's a very cute idea. I think the whimsy suits the whole gaming spirit quite well.

Delaney on
    "I will participate in the game. It's a wonderful, wonderful opera, except that it hurts." - Joseph Campbell

• Options
    Just in case anyone else was curious, I found a link to a photo of the 2011 East Challenge coin, to go with the links of the others in the OP.
    5510308047_0a1cf82195_z.jpg

• Options
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    I've never liked the idea of the convention center (we're there already and convention centers are giant, soulless buildings in remote locations, considered "landmarks" only by those who are actually attending the convention).

Well, from the right angle, I think it looks like a rad space ship that may very well have a soul, and I would love to have it on the coin. :P

Or the ducks. D'awwww-est challenge coin of forever.

• Options
    Jake CappsJake Capps Patrick Space Force Base, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Will Make Way for Ducklings even translate well? It will look more like an inside joke, and less like a statue. Hell just put Cheers on it...it goes with Welcome Home.

X4hAlPn.png

My Pinny Pal's Lanyard

"Players are artists who create their own reality within the game." - Shigeru Miyamoto
  • Options
    EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    Didn't last year we talk about doing the Make Way for Duckling statues on the local side of the coin? It was the runner up in the voting if I'm not mistaking so the idea was floated of making that this years design.

We definitely did discuss this and i do believe you are correct that it was the runner up the old coin thread is back a page or two here if we wanted to dig up anything on the ducks we may have had there dont remember if anyone created a possible design for it.

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    For convenience, here's a photo of all three East coins together:
    4HsqW4O.jpg

• Options
    Wow, there's a lot more detail in the 2012 coin than we seem to acknowledge as possible during the planning phase. Was that a special order in some way? Or is it that we can't always trust details to come out that well?

• Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Raughn wrote: »
    Wow, there's a lot more detail in the 2012 coin than we seem to acknowledge as possible during the planning phase. Was that a special order in some way? Or is it that we can't always trust details to come out that well?

Just because there's some small buildings in the background doesn't necessarily mean you can actually make out which building each one is supposed to be, or that it's actually a faithful recreation of the skyline. So, yeah, that's about the outer limit of detail, I'd say. Which is still quite good, I acknowledge! But I remember a guy one time who wanted to try to do the Expo Hall with a sufficient level of detail that you could see some people playing consoles and others playing board games, and others... no, not going to happen.

As far as Jake's point about the ducks looking like an inside joke, I'd just say that, as the years go by, we have to start going for less famous landmarks. Nevertheless, the book is a Boston-themed cultural institution, and the statues do constitute a landmark, and there's even a tangential link to PAX Prime (check out the "Life Imitates Art" section of the Wikipedia page). We should have sufficient detail to at least depict the brick path they're standing on, which should give a bit of context.

• Options
    AylaviereAylaviere Overlord Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    [Deleted]

Aylaviere on
    East 2015: Hostel/Hotel [✓] Time Off [✓] 3 Day Pass [✓] Pokecrawl [ ]
  • Options
    Priced 4 EvilPriced 4 Evil Registered User regular
    I think it would be neat to do a 2010 coin for the first year of PAX East and let that coin have the BCEC for the location/landmark.

First PAX East was not at the BCEC - it was at the Hynes Convention Center

• Options
    KomiKomi Registered User regular
    Just some random brainstorming here, but since there aren't any suggestions for the gaming side yet...

Maybe some form of TV with a 4-way split screen thing going on? I don't know if that's quite far enough off from the meaning of last years coin, but I think it'd be neat. Maybe with a different type of gaming in each of the four splits. Like... PC in one, Console in the other, Arcade in another, and Tabletop in the last. I'm sure given talent better than mine a simple design could be thought up from that.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Jake Capps wrote: »
    Will Make Way for Ducklings even translate well? It will look more like an inside joke, and less like a statue. Hell just put Cheers on it...it goes with Welcome Home.

I don't feel that it would be looked at as a joke. They're fairly well known tourist attractions, and seeing as the book itself is the official children's book of Massachusetts, it's definitely in keeping with the theme of well known Boston images that we've gone with for the last 4 years.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    I don't feel that it would be looked at as a joke. They're fairly well known tourist attractions, and seeing as the book itself is the official children's book of Massachusetts, it's definitely in keeping with the theme of well known Boston images that we've gone with for the last 4 years.

Just reiterating, the Ducklings are relatively well known as a "Boston thing", so it wouldn't be considered an inside joke.

• Options
    nsanensane That guy with the face. Registered User regular
    BinaryTB wrote: »
    Just reiterating, the Ducklings are relatively well known as a "Boston thing". . .

I've never heard of it before this thread and it made no sense why something so random would be on the coin. My first assumption was that something happened involving ducklings at an earlier PAX.

wK2XwhV.png
    PAX East 2018: Passes [X], Hotel [X], Airfare [], coin []
  • Options
    I think ducklings fits really well. I'm sure there's plenty of people that don't recognize the other Boston landmarks that have been put on the previous coins, doesn't mean that they were inappropriately used.