As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Friday, September 20, 2013 - Extra Credits Season 7, Ep. EH 03: Extra History: The Second Pun

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Friday, September 20, 2013 - Extra Credits Season 7, Ep. EH 03: Extra History: The Second Punic War Rages On

Most of the research for these videos comes from: Polybius' The Histories And Livy's History of Rome But if you just want an overview, here's a wikipedia link.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    DrakkonDrakkon Registered User regular
    Verily now do we learn of the foolishness of Rome and the brilliance of Hannibal. Glory is no substitute for Wisdom, and Boldness does not guarantee Victory.

• Options
    pscof42pscof42 Registered User new member
    I'm coming out of lurk to say this one thing: DO WANT MOAR!!!

Oh my stars and garters, this mini-series is brilliant and I hope you do more and more and more and more in the same vein.

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Do the Norman Conquest of England next!

• Options
    echo_xrayecho_xray Registered User new member
    I do love me some history, and this is one of my favorite moments. After Lake Trasimine, which was arguably the most successful ambush in history, Hannibal trapped the Roman army at Cannae and completely annihilated it. Victory seemed withing sight...

A very good series, and I look forward to the next entry. I would certainly show this to any student of this era.

• Options
    HydralyskHydralysk Registered User new member
    I really hope you guys do more episodes like this, you've already gotten me to waste two hours on a wiki walk learning about Carthage.

Looking forward to next week's episode! Carthago Delenda Est!

• Options
    The Bad VoodooThe Bad Voodoo Registered User regular
    Could you even imagine being there? Jeeeeeeesus.

• Options
    vtackvtack Registered User new member
    I can't thank you guys enough for this web series. It has been immensely entertaining, and I think we've all learned something here today. Also it makes me want to play the OG Rome Total War REAL bad

• Options
    lancettelancette Registered User new member
    Curious choice to use Rome 1 for screenshots instead of Rome 2. Nevertheless, ROOOOOOOOME!

• Options
    SidheKnightSidheKnight Registered User new member
    I'm LOVING these series.

• Options
    DBonesDBones Registered User regular
    Wow, that was a fantastic story. Thanks so much for sharing it.

• Options
    DoctorAwesomeDoctorAwesome Registered User new member
    It's been years since I've been as excited on a weekly basis for anything as I am for this series.

For anyone interested, the History Channel series Decisive Battles (which recreated battles in the ancient world using Rome: Total War) had an episode on the Battle of Cannae.

• Options
    waldosanwaldosan Registered User regular
    holy shoot this is the most interesting history i've learned in a long time.

• Options
    SebbySebby Registered User regular
    Populace being patriotic, dumb and angry demanding stupid military things? Reminds me of a certain recent "surge".

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Sebby wrote: »
    Populace being patriotic, dumb and angry demanding stupid military things? Reminds me of a certain recent "surge".
    Not quite. Patriotism in Rome was almost instinctual. This is a people who despite being all about gaining personal power would willingly give up total power when called to because they had multiple historical examples of what happened when you didn't (The Decemvirate, Spurius Maelius, The Tarquins, ect.). This was a land where no man would willingly accept being called king, even during the Roman Empire.

The people of Rome also weren't dumb. They really needed all of that land that Hannibal was destroying. Rome itself required constant supply of food from outside to feed it's massive population, and Hannibal was destroying that. On top of that Hannibal was a sword hanging above the heads of the Roman people. He was an enemy standing right outside their gates and, despite what he believed, able to take Rome on multiple occasions. Even the delaying tactics that Hannibal took had a similar effect to a long siege on the city of Rome. They really did need to destroy Hannibal.
    However, what Fabian did allowed the people of Rome to catch their breath. The time without a major loss set the very circumstances that allowed Varro to build such a large army. Rome was never in such dire straights as late WWI Germany, where writers noted that the streets were devoid of the young and old alike, but they needed time to build up their population and supplies, and Fabian created those circumstances.

Also, something that should be noted is that the surviving soldiers of Cannae weren't allowed to return home and were reconstituted as two legions and sent to Sicily. They actually called to the Senate for years to send them out on a suicide mission seeking a way to kill themselves for the glory of Rome in the manner that was lost to them when they survived Cannae, in order to assuage their anguish and dishonor. Scipio Africanus eventually builds his army with these cursed men.

Also, no one has yet been able to do a military surge that even nears the ability of the Roman Republic. When most people would have given up, and they almost did several times, Rome not only endured but rose up to destroy their enemies and take their stuff.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    Forget video games, just do history from now on. :)

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    WuyleyWuyley Registered User new member
    I had to make an account just to comment on these videos. These have been the single best videos I have watched in a LONG time. My ancestry is Italian and I had no idea any of this happened and learning about Hannibal and "The Battle" was AWESOME! I don't play RTS's but I am tempted to buy Total Rome just to support their idea of making these videos.

• Options
    BardmanBardman Registered User new member
    I don't get why history comes better from the Extra Credit crew, but it just does. I love it, all of it.

• Options
    BlakeStoneBlakeStone Registered User regular
    We're about to get to where Hannibal used my all-time favorite weapon ever deployed in the history of war: clay pots filled with poisonous snakes.

• Options
    emdemd Registered User new member
    Just brilliant, I am an avid student of Roman History and I have read everything I can get my hands on about Rome from the times of the kings to the bitter end of Byzantine Empire, watched many documentaries and played a good number of games on the subject....but this series tops them all. In all fairness I haven't gotten to Rome 2 yet, but Rome Total War was my all time favorite RTS, if not all time favorite game and I have spent countless hours playing it and I enjoy this series is at least as much as RTW.

Great job Extra Credits team, you've earned yourselves a new fan...I have started watching old episodes now :) I hope you keep doing more history even after you're done with Punic Wars...a tale from the Napoleonic era maybe ?

• Options
    GunganGungan Registered User regular
    That was totally epic.

• Options
    Knobody13Knobody13 Registered User new member
    Oh my Gawd these episodes are even better than your normal
    Napoleonic Wars next!!

• Options
    PrivateJokerPrivateJoker Registered User regular
    Fantastic

• Options
    skellyton22skellyton22 Registered User regular
    O GOD! 80,000 to 3,000!

• Options
    Arsene-LupinArsene-Lupin Registered User regular
    Great video. Really makes me want to play Rome II, but then I remember how much the game stinks right now.

• Options
    bahhabbahhab Registered User new member
    So for the sake of CA evaluating this as a marketing technique... Let it be known that i went from "Meh" pre first episode to purchased and downloading after the third episode.

I hope you're happy. (No really... i do hope so. This was a dirty dirty advertising technique that i'm really kind of OK with)

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    O GOD! 80,000 to 3,000!

For sake of historical reference, a lions share of ancient battles were won or lost with only 10-20% of the fighting force dying. Losing 50% was a great loss. Even at the great and lauded Battle of Thermopylae the retreating, surrendering, and withdrawing forces could be estimated at just under half of the total force.

There's Beaten.
    There's Decimation.
    There's Thermopylae.
    And then there's Hannibal.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    MythalinearMythalinear Registered User new member
    Oh snap, Rome just got HANNIBALED!!!

• Options
    JayblesJaybles Registered User new member
    Classic Hannibal.

• Options
    BambusekBambusek Registered User new member
    Hmm, it's quiet funny thats while this is suppose to help with Rome 2 marketing, all screens from game used here comes from Rome 1 :)

• Options
    stuey46stuey46 Registered User regular
    yeah, thanks to creative assembly and extra credits for making this. Its rare enough for people to know about the punic wars at all (much less that there were 3 of them) and you do a pretty solid job of summarizing them. I appreciate it

• Options
    ColinjbColinjb Registered User new member
    Brilliant, have always loved your presentation style and enthusiasm. This takes it to another level. Regardless of funding from Creative Assembly, you should do more of these history pieces. The way you can absolutely strip down the core elements into something easily understandable and entertaining; wonderful, just wonderful.

• Options
    jacknashjacknash Jack Nash LondonRegistered User new member
    +1 for more history episodes

• Options
    NalikillNalikill Registered User new member
    @Bambusek:

The reason for that is that a while back, the History Channel did a series on Roman History- and they used Rome 1 for that show, because it was before Rome II was a twinkle in anyone's eye. They're using screencaps and clips from that show. Of course Cannae was included, because it was one of the greatest military victories and defeats in history. So it's not unusual- they didn't make those shots themselves, they borrowed them under fair use from the History Channel.

• Options
    ibageibage Registered User new member
    I've always liked ancient world history and I tend to lurk here for the most part. I've always watched EC and thoroughly enjoyed it. This series is nothing short of great. I know this was just a special thing, but if you folks were to make more on history, I would gladly watch.

• Options
    franksandsfranksands Registered User regular
    This series is completely brilliant! I would pay good money for more series on ancient history.

• Options
    Dirk_GentlyDirk_Gently Registered User regular
    I watched this and thought to myself "Again? You went into an impassable place and killed a ton of your own men AGAIN? Why is Hannibal thought of as a great tactician. He's an idiot". And then, I watch a bit more... "Oh...."

• Options
    Mr. JMr. J Registered User new member
    Dirk_Gently, you also have to think of this. Hannibal picked men who were increasingly loyal, out of Mercenaries. Hannibal inspired his men so much that they trusted he would use them wisely. A commanders job is not to keep his soldiers safe, it is to make sure that when he/she sends them to die, they will not die in vain of the cause they fought for.

• Options
    AmpAmp King of Card Games Registered User regular
    Not a bad set of videos but glosses over a lot of stuff and doesn't really explain how much of honking farts the Romans were. But that is kind of a standard as trends in history are very quick to blame a person rather than a state. Dependant on your point of view it can be seen as an inevitable clash between two great powers, or a squabble over land that got out of hand. Personally I the Punic Wars as Rome looking for an excuse to go to war and gain the riches that Carthage had. Their justification was shaky at best and they certainly did not help matters. Hannibal was a fantastic leader but the Carthaginian government was crap, it was because of this that Rome was able to survive. No joke till Scipio Africanas came along they were shit out of luck, even then he was able to capitalise on Hannibal's lack of support more than his tactical skills.

Also the bit in the first clip about how Rome was a dominate force for 700 years is a bit of a misnomer and open to heavy debate. A better argument would be to say that they were influential till 200AD at a stretch. Rome was certainly influential but more and more the city proved to be an awkward pain in the arse for emperors, that was till Constantine I set up Constaninopal fostering the East West split. That and the military stuff was still not the biggest but you had some big names but it would take to long to get into. As an over view and gaining quick knowledge its good but has some glaring errors that people accept as fact and causes problems down the line.

The History of Rome Podcast does a really good job of explaining it all in a little more detail but not to much. I would really advisee reading Livy as its not so painful to get through. If your on a history kick then read Thucydides for an over view of the Greek wars. And for sheer comedy Ammianus is one of the greatest spin doctors ever. He describes the Roman loss and Adrianopal as the Romans defeating them with love.

Finally classical history! Its so cool!

Calix Maus Imbranus
  • Options
    sneadlessneadles Registered User new member
    it's fabian strategy not tactic. The difference between strategy and tactic(s) could deserve their own episode even.

• Options
    InkiduInkidu Registered User new member
    @snedies

Actually, it's both because Fabian was doing both. It's a strategy because it was his overall goal, but he used what one could call Fabian tactics to bring about his strategy (that is proton-guerilla warfare).

Strategy is one's overall goal.
    Tactics are the motions that bring about said goal.