As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [sysadmins] Thread: Quick, hide your user friendly policies, Bowen is coming back!

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Alright, now to learn Powershell for realsies. *cracks knuckles*

*weeps softly*

TL DR on
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    "Astronomical amounts of stuff" may just refer to the amount of customization needed. There are about 5 people in the office that I delay giving a new machine to as long as possible, because their machines are the biggest pains to set up. Financial software is the bane of my existence, speaking metaphorically in a Tron sense of course. I only install it once every 3-5 years and it is so god damn touchy, especially when going from XP to 7, or 32-bit to 64-bit.

Recently, I upgraded one of these users and the bank that was supposed to issue her machine a certificate, but they didn't know how to handle a 64-bit machine. It took them over two weeks to fix the problem, but somehow it was my fault. My boss and I took flak for it the entire time, despite us showing time and again that it was out of our control/hands and that the bank needed to fix the problem. I fucking hate financial software.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Alright, now to learn Powershell for realsies. *cracks knuckles*

*weeps softly*

Nobody learns powershell, they just google all the answers.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Really I just have to figure out how to export all these documents from a Sharepoint 2007 library, and someone suggested Powershell. Apparently there's supposed to be a "View in Windows Explorer" option, but the Actions menu that it's supposed to be in does not exist, and the Navigation options menu to enable the Actions menu does not exist.

Downloading Sharepoint Designer 2007 in the hopes that it will shed some light, but I'm totally in the dark and the guy I'd normally ask is on his honeymoon.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Powershell is for doing things they haven't figured out how to put in the GUI yet, and that will show up in the next OS verison.
    I wish I knew powershell. :(

Cog on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    "Astronomical amounts of stuff" may just refer to the amount of customization needed. There are about 5 people in the office that I delay giving a new machine to as long as possible, because their machines are the biggest pains to set up. Financial software is the bane of my existence, speaking metaphorically in a Tron sense of course. I only install it once every 3-5 years and it is so god damn touchy, especially when going from XP to 7, or 32-bit to 64-bit.

Recently, I upgraded one of these users and the bank that was supposed to issue her machine a certificate, but they didn't know how to handle a 64-bit machine. It took them over two weeks to fix the problem, but somehow it was my fault. My boss and I took flak for it the entire time, despite us showing time and again that it was out of our control/hands and that the bank needed to fix the problem. I fucking hate financial software.

Ugh, I know this feel. Back when I worked at the hospital I was constantly finding old, obscure, undocumented, unsupported, and--natch--business critical apps. It was super awful, too, since we had just switched from a patchwork of about 3 major systems and a bunch of smaller apps to one big new system that was supposed to unify everything. Except they didn't get everything rolled into it. Which wouldn't be so bad, but all the people supporting the old apps moved to supporting the new major system only, and us poor desktop techs were left supporting the legacy apps.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    That is the reason why we have all our software delivered via a Citrix session. And there are still ways to get that screwed up. My favorite was the guy who complained that he couldn't move the windows to his other monitors. Turns out, his other monitors were attached to a different computer.

• Options
    Quick question for you guys: I have an SBS 2008 domain, mixed XP/7, and the owner has finally acceded to redirected My Documents folders after one of his managers' laptop died and he lost some critical data.

Is this just a matter of creating the %username% shares, setting the applicable GPO and letting the clients redirect and copy the relevant data, or is the data move something that has to be done manually?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That's all I had to do.

With windows 7 there was something weird I had to do with the 'sync' center on some of the PCs. Can't recall what it was I had to do though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Oh hey, PowerShell so easy. Finally worked after I'd given up and started searching for a way to enable the aforementioned menu in Sharepoint. I found a place in IIS to install the Windows Azure Command Prompt plugin to the website, after which the script was finally able to recognize that the library existed.

Two things:
    bgdBTUC.jpg
    And the script to export a Sharepoint 2007 library to a folder if anyone is interested.
    http://chuvash.eu/2012/12/11/powershell-copy-an-entire-document-library-from-sharepoint-2007-to-disk/

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Really I just have to figure out how to export all these documents from a Sharepoint 2007 library, and someone suggested Powershell. Apparently there's supposed to be a "View in Windows Explorer" option, but the Actions menu that it's supposed to be in does not exist, and the Navigation options menu to enable the Actions menu does not exist.

Downloading Sharepoint Designer 2007 in the hopes that it will shed some light, but I'm totally in the dark and the guy I'd normally ask is on his honeymoon.

So when you go to the sharepoint site that has the documents you want to export, there isn't a library tab up top? And on that tab there isn't the View in explorer button?

Odd.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    self service ticket today
    summary: monitor going out
    details:My PC monitor is making shrill whistling noises. It's beginning to drive us nutty and some days that's a short trip.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    On today's episode of Why You Should Learn Powershell:

I made a small tool yesterday to dig through an application's settings, grab all the port numbers that app has assigned to various machines, then sort and group those numbers into contiguous blocks; so you can see what ports are used already and which are free. I got sick of trying to look through a randomly ordered list of like 100 numbers.

My boss's reaction was basically: "See, this is why you're so much better than the guy you replaced."

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    8bitogre wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Time to format!

You are the second person to say that to me, and you will be the second person I give an exasperated sigh to. The amount of stuff this person has on their PC is astronomical, it'll take me all day to do it. I tried to add them explicitly to the policy as a last ditch hail mary attempt but I'm afraid it might be time to break out the clonezilla.

When all else fails, just make a logon script.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    The guy who was mentoring (is that a word?) me quit today.

Guess who all his stuff is handed over to.

I now have 57 open tickets.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaah.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Ouch. You had the new in-over-your-a-bit job yah?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I feel less in over my head than I did a couple of weeks ago.

There are only a couple of tickets where I feel like I don't have the technical know-how to be able to deal with them, and a load where I just don't know company's own software / procedures well enough to be able to deal with them in a timely fashion.

That and having to learn batch, since we can't install any sensible scripting tools. Fuck batch. Every day I find another stupid idiosyncrasy that slows me down for a silly amount of time.

I'm also beginning to feel like working towards getting CCNA would be a good use of my time. the company wouldn't pay for it, but still. Its good to have.

jaziek on
  • Options
    jaziek wrote: »

There are only a couple of tickets where I feel like I don't have the technical know-how to be able to deal with them, and a load where I just don't know company's own software / procedures well enough to be able to deal with them in a timely fashion.

That and having to learn batch, since we can't install any sensible scripting tools. Fuck batch. Every day I find another stupid idiosyncrasy that slows me down for a silly amount of time.

I'm also beginning to feel like working towards getting CCNA would be a good use of my time. the company wouldn't pay for it, but still. Its good to have.

Well, we're alway here for ya. Also, if you've batch, you've powershell. Way less stupid than batch.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Draygo wrote: »
    8bitogre wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    Time to format!

You are the second person to say that to me, and you will be the second person I give an exasperated sigh to. The amount of stuff this person has on their PC is astronomical, it'll take me all day to do it. I tried to add them explicitly to the policy as a last ditch hail mary attempt but I'm afraid it might be time to break out the clonezilla.

When all else fails, just make a logon script.

When that fails, put a script in \all users\start menu\startup :rotate:

Aioua on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I have been having the / directory of our main DFS file host randomly switch to read-only, which screws up samba. And we discovered that it may be an issue with the journal, so the fix is to boot up on a recovery disc or live usb image, delete the journal from the unmounted drive / is mounted on, run e2fsck, and then recreate the journal.

The device in question is sda3. I ran the procedures on sdb3. Then I remember, and panic, and go back, and sda3 doesn't exist. Only sda and sda1. Is the driver no loading something? Is something wrong? I go googling on partitioning issues in CentOS. Spend about 30 minutes. Then I go back to check if maybe the partitions weren't being read. Boot the drive back to normal, check the partitioning space with fdisk. Boot back to the live usb image. I check sda.

sda is the usb drive.

I check sdb.

sdb is what I wanted in the first place.

I'm still learning linux.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »

Well, we're alway here for ya. Also, if you've batch, you've powershell. Way less stupid than batch.

We don't have PS, or at most we have PS 1 , which seems to be pretty terribly documented compared to ps 2+.

• Options

We don't have PS, or at most we have PS 1 , which seems to be pretty terribly documented compared to ps 2+.

Are you on some unpatched xp machines or something?
    7 comes with PowerShell 2 at minimum. Run $host.version to find out.

• Options
    Most of the machines I'm working on are server 03.

• Options
    Most of the machines I'm working on are server 03.

Laaaaaaame. I'm guessing they won't let you install it?

• Options
    Yeah, not a chance.

• Options
    QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    So windows has found a new way to piss me off. Unable to install a device on a workstation on the other side of the country, because well, device manage is empty. Blank. No errors anywhere, it just doesn't exist. I checked the standard solutions involving permissions and it all seems fine until I get to a certain key in the registry:

kNhuEls.png

I'm pretty sure that's what's causing devmgmt to take it's vacation (as it's in the exact section all my research says to check permissions in), and I'd love to just delete it but I can't. Standard windows "let's list a file you can't do anything to because I don't recognize it as a valid filename" crap.

I've tried every which way to delete, including the "RegDelNull" tool from sysinternals which sounds like it was made for this exact situation except for the fact it never finds anything to delete...

So I'm stuck looking at yet another restage (which I'd like to avoid as it requires tons of hacks and workarounds because we never clean up anything around here) unless anyone has an idea. Yes plug and play is started and running btw:)

PSN/Steam - Quantux

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Would installing a language pack help? It looks like gibberish text that comes up when it's trying to display Chinese or Japanese but can't.

Then again I feel that it would be incredibly stupid to allow non-standard characters in the registry, but who knows...

• Options
    Would installing a language pack help? It looks like gibberish text that comes up when it's trying to display Chinese or Japanese but can't.

Then again I feel that it would be incredibly stupid to allow non-standard characters in the registry, but who knows...

I couldn't guess how it got there if it was a wrong lang. driver causing it. The only driver files available are the ones we put there (same as what's on the other 14k machines). Though the issue did occur right after swapping a mainboard (which our vender will swear is identical, but, yeah...) though who knows, it could have been like this for months. I'm wondering if this entry was generated upon a new device discovery and if it'll disappear if that device is unplugged. Guess if I'm calling to walk them through starting a restage anyway, having them unplug stuff first won't hurt.

PSN/Steam - Quantux

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    "I'm getting a lot of spam a day now."
    "How much?"
    "I think I've got about 5."
    "..."

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    The problem is you are across the country. For a problem like that your best bet is reloading the system registry hive...

In recovery console:
    copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\system.bak
    delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system

should replace the file and then device manager should work. Note that you will probably have to reinstall all the drivers.

But the problem is you are across the country and I assume you don't have anyone on site you can use to muck around in recovery console.

• Options
    The staging media boots to winpe (Yes, the process is really that old. We never clean anything up) and starts a vnc-like app that I can use to connect and mess around with it in the live environment; should be able to move those files around. I'll give it a shot and if it still fails, guess I'll just continue the stage process.

PSN/Steam - Quantux

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    "My Hard drive fell out again and when I put it back this time it says 'Operating System Not found'"

She had her HDD replaced in her laptop two months ago and Hardware forgot to screw the drive in. It was only hanging on by the SATA connectors.

What baffles me was that she never called the *first* time it fell out.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    "My Hard drive fell out again and when I put it back this time it says 'Operating System Not found'"

She had her HDD replaced in her laptop two months ago and Hardware forgot to screw the drive in. It was only hanging on by the SATA connectors.

What baffles me was that she never called the *first* time it fell out.

I kinda did that by accident in a laptop once. Forgot to screw it back in. Whoops.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    So I have a weird one, and MS has jack for answers. I have a user who has an out of memory error when trying to open Excel sheets. We've reinstalled Excel, tried closing everything but Excel. It's different sheets and different times every day. I'm doing a saving throw against re-imaging her machine with the hive mind. Any thoughts?

finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    What the hell is up with CAL licenses for Microsoft Servers? You have to license every user within your organisation who might use print sharing or whatever nonsense? That is balls crazy.

It's good to be the king, I guess.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Oh joy, a Win XP machine where I can map a network drive by name and open it, I can open the server share with it's IP address in explorer, but not with its name.

And naturally rebooting the machine fixes it for no particularly discernible reason. Hoping forcing NetBIOS over TCP/IP to enabled was what worked.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    What the hell is up with CAL licenses for Microsoft Servers? You have to license every user within your organisation who might use print sharing or whatever nonsense? That is balls crazy.

It's good to be the king, I guess.

Pretty much, it is for anyone that is connecting through AD. You can probably try getting away without any but if you got a software audit you would probably get hammered with a big fine.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh joy, a Win XP machine where I can map a network drive by name and open it, I can open the server share with it's IP address in explorer, but not with its name.

And naturally rebooting the machine fixes it for no particularly discernible reason. Hoping forcing NetBIOS over TCP/IP to enabled was what worked.

Very possible. XP does some weird shit with NetBIOS and uh...crap what's the Windows one...WINS. It's better than NT at least!

• Options
    Machine in the lab wasn't powering on.
    Oh, it's one of these stupid ones that has its own UPS.
    Ah, looks like this UPS is dead.
    Let's plug it right into the regular power rail, fuck that UPS.
    VVBWOP!
    Oh, right. These rails are 220v.

¬_¬

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Machine in the lab wasn't powering on.
    Oh, it's one of these stupid ones that has its own UPS.
    Ah, looks like this UPS is dead.
    Let's plug it right into the regular power rail, fuck that UPS.
    VVBWOP!
    Oh, right. These rails are 220v.

¬_¬

I love the smell of burnt power supply in the morning...

That is, unless the $300 CPU/MOBO combo decided to save the $30 power supply by blowing first. You always have that.

This discussion has been closed.