As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith 2014] Light your fire with 12 Hendrix songs. Next Gen is here! steam sale

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, they really should license the Daniel Bryan entrance theme, but I get why they didn't,

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Just spoke to the Guitar Center manager. We are now past two weeks for a basic set up. He said they lost one of their techs and only have one, so they have "a bit of a backlog."

Jesus. Just don't take my guitar if that's the case. The other place in town charges like $120 for a setup, which sucks, but I could probably drive to the next city over and figure something out.

I would ask for my money back or something, they basically borrowed your guitar for two weeks, probably took some money from you already, and haven't done shit to it. If they're backlogged, they should mention it. Even if they lost one of their techs, they must have had a pretty impressive backlog for this to be taking this long.

They can just give me back my cheapo LP and have it magically be transformed into a telecaster vintage modified. That would be an acceptable outcome. :P

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Just spoke to the Guitar Center manager. We are now past two weeks for a basic set up. He said they lost one of their techs and only have one, so they have "a bit of a backlog."

Jesus. Just don't take my guitar if that's the case. The other place in town charges like $120 for a setup, which sucks, but I could probably drive to the next city over and figure something out.

I would ask for my money back or something, they basically borrowed your guitar for two weeks, probably took some money from you already, and haven't done shit to it. If they're backlogged, they should mention it. Even if they lost one of their techs, they must have had a pretty impressive backlog for this to be taking this long.

They can just give me back my cheapo LP and have it magically be transformed into a telecaster vintage modified. That would be an acceptable outcome. :P

Holy shit damn balls $120? that's like a $40 job.

(also after watching that video i think this might be the first DLC i buy at full price)

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm betting its an issue where they charge $120 an hour for their tech, and its a 30min job, but they charge a minimum of 1hr.

And yeah, with a backlog that big, they may as well be booking appointments for you to drop off your guitar, it does no one any good just sitting on a shelf.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Holy shit damn balls $120? that's like a $40 job.

(also after watching that video i think this might be the first DLC i buy at full price)

This made me go look it up and I realized that they have a normal, $75 service I'd missed. They also have some really fancy machine set up that's $250 (I'd looked at it and mentally written it off as insane). But, yeah, apparently they do a $75 set up too. Will do that next time.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    that still seems highish. I took my jag to a certified fender guy because i couldn't figure out the bridge and he was about $40. You're not in Australia are you?

either way I'd say it's motivation to learn how to set it up yourself!

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    $75 seems standard Guitar Center prices, mom and pop stores are like $30-40 usually. Especially for a non Floyd Rose style bridge.

• Options
    Was torn with something about Bach to the future and a powdered wigs reference for the OP title. If anybody has anything better, let me know.

I'm buying this just because they did it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE1OXfwskbA

Bachsmith Song Pack – $4.99 / Steam (No Single Tracks)

Edvard Grieg “In the Hall of The Mountain King” (Arranged by Gregory Barr) – 3:24
    Johann Sebastian Bach “Little” Fugue in G Minor” – Drop D [Rhythm] – Alt. Bass – (Arranged by Anthony Martinez) – 4:31
    Ludwig van Beethoven “Moonlight Sonata: Adagio Sostenuto” (Arranged by Shane Gann) – 5:33
    Richard Wagner “Ride Of The Valkyries” (Arranged by Jason Kocol) – 3:29
    Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart “Rondo Alla Turca” (Arrranged by Matt Montgomery) 3:31

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Wow... just wow. Cant wait to play those songs. Best DLC in awhile.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Well, that's a shame. Passing on this one, I'm afraid.

• Options
    Endaro wrote: »

I know opinions, personal taste, all that jazz on what people buy and what not, but you seem disappointed, may I ask why? The particular songs/arrangements? Or just that it's classical DLC? I'm just curious.

• Options
    These are gonna be tough... I couldn't be more excited for this. This is something you get for the ability to grow yourself as a player I think, regardless of music taste. Hell, even the studio players were fighting with it in those videos of the making of the arrangements.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    A couple of those sound fingerpicky, which is also good.

Still wish they just licensed the Jim Johnston arrangement of Ride of the Valkyries, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aHkplz8Spw

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    They're not fingerpicky. Not even close.

They sound a bit silly to be honest.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Actually, having played a couple, what they remind me of more than anything is those Christmas carol arrangements from RS1 (was that Seth Chappalla?).

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited August 2014

I know opinions, personal taste, all that jazz on what people buy and what not, but you seem disappointed, may I ask why? The particular songs/arrangements? Or just that it's classical DLC? I'm just curious.

The particular songs/arrangements, I like classical (classical guitar especially). You can see my post on the last page for what I had in mind. It's definitely an instance of personal taste, I think these pieces are made quite a bit worse with these guitar/bass/drums arrangements, and they're doing so while missing out on a lot of amazing preexisting classical guitar. I know they probably went with these because a lot of people will find them more cool to play, but I'd rather they went with actual nylon/Spanish guitar pieces than making electric guitar reinterpretations. For example, I'm sure most people, if they buy anything, will be buying Flight of the Valkyries, but that would be last on my list. Of any of these, I'm most likely to grab the Mozart piece.

Edit: And please don't take this as me shitting on people's enthusiasm, I hope everyone has fun with the pack. It's just a different thing than I wanted. Unfortunately "Rock" is always going to be in the title of this game. Still, I will probably buy the Mozart piece for the fantastic rhythm track, and support the possibility of more like it in the future.

Endaro on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Being a scrub on guitar I find them challenging though some of the arrangements are a wee bit peculiar in their interpretations.

But,I like the Django style one do much I may have to cut off a few fingers.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    PSA: don't cut off your fingers.

(i thought steam updated on tuesday but i'm not seeing the pack)

• Options

It was there for me around 11 a.m. mst this morning.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Maybe they'll have this in a future pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8WWNKhdy-w

(Well, not really, but ...)

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

found it on the "friends recently purchased" sidebar. do they not stick dlc in the new releases tab anymore?

• Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

found it on the "friends recently purchased" sidebar. do they not stick dlc in the new releases tab anymore?

No they do not, and not sure why. I found it by typing "Bachsmith" in the search.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

The particular songs/arrangements, I like classical (classical guitar especially). You can see my post on the last page for what I had in mind. It's definitely an instance of personal taste, I think these pieces are made quite a bit worse with these guitar/bass/drums arrangements, and they're doing so while missing out on a lot of amazing preexisting classical guitar. I know they probably went with these because a lot of people will find them more cool to play, but I'd rather they went with actual nylon/Spanish guitar pieces than making electric guitar reinterpretations. For example, I'm sure most people, if they buy anything, will be buying Flight of the Valkyries, but that would be last on my list. Of any of these, I'm most likely to grab the Mozart piece.

Edit: And please don't take this as me shitting on people's enthusiasm, I hope everyone has fun with the pack. It's just a different thing than I wanted. Unfortunately "Rock" is always going to be in the title of this game. Still, I will probably buy the Mozart piece for the fantastic rhythm track, and support the possibility of more like it in the future.

I didn't think you were shitting on anybody's enthusiasm. I figured it was with the arrangements they chose, I was just genuinely interested in your thoughts and why you were disappointed. I think pretty much everyone who picks up the guitar tries to learn some classical stuff at some point. I know I had worked on two of Beethoven's pieces as a kid, moonlight sonata being one of them. It's very possible I might not like the arrangements after playing them for awhile. I haven't actually paid much attention to the sound of them, I just know I want to learn at least 2 of them :D

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Actually, having played a couple, what they remind me of more than anything is those Christmas carol arrangements from RS1 (was that Seth Chappalla?).

Please don't remind me
    I really wanted to try carol of the bells but I got rocksmith the summer after it was offered and waited till the xmas season for nothing

• Options
    InstantPigInstantPig Damn Registered User regular
    While some solo fingerstyle/classical stuff would have been interesting, I don't know how well it would work. My feeling is not well. I have a hard enough time seeing simple chord arpeggios in Rocksmith and I think it would be real rough for complex fingerstyle stuff. While I think Rocksmith has some big advantages over tab, this is one case where tab is far superior in my opinion.

PSN: Fading_Vision

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    I'm excited more for the amount of work my fingers will get. Looks like some fun and the arrangements are okay enough. So much metal steals from "classical" music anyhow it might not bet too different from what I'm used to playing.

• Options
    InstantPig wrote: »
    While some solo fingerstyle/classical stuff would have been interesting, I don't know how well it would work. My feeling is not well. I have a hard enough time seeing simple chord arpeggios in Rocksmith and I think it would be real rough for complex fingerstyle stuff. While I think Rocksmith has some big advantages over tab, this is one case where tab is far superior in my opinion.

Ya, on the bright side though most of that stuff usually doesn't matter. Take Knocking on Heavans door for example. I bet a bunch of you have tried that song, tried to play it note for note, and thought "Man this is hard! How am I going to remember all of this and what order the strings are hit?!!" Well, you don't! You could, but even the guitarist isn't going to play it the same every time likely. He's playing an G chord, and picking some strings, and then a D chord, picking some strings, and into the Am. It's more about getting the feel than hitting the exact notes often times. Take sweet child of Mine if you've ever looked up the tab. Now there are some things with the High E strings you have to do to get it to sound right, flourishes on the chord, but trying to learn how slash/Izzy play it note for note would be pretty complicated, and even they don't play it the same every time I guarantee it.

• Options
    So the rondo is my favorite... but it's way better than me. I got it up to apparently 45% before it started to outclass me. those main riffs i managed to get up to 80% in riff repeater and just couldn't pick fast enough for them at full speed.

• Options
    So the rondo is my favorite... but it's way better than me. I got it up to apparently 45% before it started to outclass me. those main riffs i managed to get up to 80% in riff repeater and just couldn't pick fast enough for them at full speed.

Just watched a video of it as I haven't got to play through the pack yet. Wow does that look like fun and if nothing else really good practice.

If you want to see an example on how you should be fingering everything this guy looks like he knows what he's doing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfDIm2B8kIw

• Options
    fun fact practicing it too much in riff repeater pushed it to the point I can't play it normally through. gonna have to delevel it a bit

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I am really enjoying Little Fugue. The arrangement just gets in my head for some reason.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I am terrible at these D:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    I am also mostly terrible. But playing through Rondo makes me really, really want an entire pack of actual Django-style Gypsy jazz.

And how about some rockabilly, while we're at it?

• Options
    Also, since I'm back on the Rhythm track, some of these are not as fun as the Lead, but I'm still putting some time in with them.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Here's Audrey yet again... and I forget if it was in this Forum or the Official that someone said that if she was playing on an amp without the game she'd sound terrible. Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bgTR2C7zpY

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    basically fuck those people. Some people just need to be against things. they're almost always wrong. but they're loud.

That playing is amazing and she'll only get better.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Holy crap. I am in literal awe.

• Options
    You should see her do Slayer!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Major bonus points for the little sister, also.

• Options
    InstantPigInstantPig Damn Registered User regular
    I wish... that I had started playing a long time ago.

Hey Banzai how's the picking coming along?

PSN: Fading_Vision