As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith 2014] Light your fire with 12 Hendrix songs. Next Gen is here! steam sale

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Tommatt wrote: »
    So tried some more of Temple of bleh... got a couple hundred thousand I think? or maybe just 80k... how do you do the crystal thing?

Oh, ps... I got 78 Million on Star Chords due to repeating chords, but it didn't happen till I broke 10 Mil so I'm ok with it.

The color of the gem, (and I think there's a fret number on there as well) bend it as hard as you can. You'll see it rise. If it doesn't register bend it again. It should go to the top, the ceiling will reset some, and you'll switch strings.

The trick to this game is quick precise bends. If you do it slow and try to adjust the vine, you'll never complete the ben. Strike the string, bend and release. It should register if you hit the bend quickly. When I first started I would slowly bend trying to raise/lower the vine and be all precise.

Also, how do you know if it's a half or full step bend?
    So tried some more of Temple of bleh... got a couple hundred thousand I think? or maybe just 80k... how do you do the crystal thing?

Oh, ps... I got 78 Million on Star Chords due to repeating chords, but it didn't happen till I broke 10 Mil so I'm ok with it.

The color of the gem, (and I think there's a fret number on there as well) bend it as hard as you can. You'll see it rise. If it doesn't register bend it again. It should go to the top, the ceiling will reset some, and you'll switch strings.

The trick to this game is quick precise bends. If you do it slow and try to adjust the vine, you'll never complete the ben. Strike the string, bend and release. It should register if you hit the bend quickly. When I first started I would slowly bend trying to raise/lower the vine and be all precise.

The lengh between the ledges. They're almost all just half steps, the whole steps will be really far apart. I think that's the only way to know.

• Options
    PashaPasha Registered User regular
    And I think the string-change crystals are a 1.5 step bend? Not totally sure, I just remember having to bend the hell out of them to get the change.

Your multiplier increases after each crystal though, so bag a few of those babies and your score will go through the roof.

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    Ended up with the Cake and Shinedown packs last night. Spent two hours playing. Really liked all the shinedown stuff except Bully because I'm not doing drop C tuning on 11's. My wife was hanging out for Cake and thought she was going to have fun watching me stumble through it but it was amazingly easy to play.

I've been eyeing some EMG 81/85 pickups and am having to resist the urge to purchase them also.

• Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    Cool news about the next-gen versions in the works. My only concern is the HDMI output lag on PS4: I don't have anything that can do Optical, so any thoughts on how they'd get around the lag issue? What options does the Xbox One have in terms of analog outputs?

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    Ubi has a few suggestions for you in their FAQ:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/924044-Rocksmith-2014-PlayStation-4-amp-Xbox-One-FAQ

...but all involve buying some sort of converter for either the optical signal or the HDMI.

• Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    I did not know there was a FAQ. Cheers!

I might get this when it's not £60. So... never. No real reason to upgrade though, not getting rid of my PS3 anytime soon. I could totally manage with an optical-RCA adapter. I might get one anyway, then I could use my PS3 headset on my PS4.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

The lengh between the ledges. They're almost all just half steps, the whole steps will be really far apart. I think that's the only way to know.

That's actually one of my complaints about that mode, it takes far too long to get to full step bends, which are the bends people most need to practice.

• Options
    Mattitude wrote: »
    Cool news about the next-gen versions in the works. My only concern is the HDMI output lag on PS4: I don't have anything that can do Optical, so any thoughts on how they'd get around the lag issue? What options does the Xbox One have in terms of analog outputs?

This is specific to the equipment you are using, I run HDMI through a Samsung LED HDTV to a Yamaha Receiver. Setting the TV and the receiver to do no processing (it is called PCM mode on the TV and STRAIGHT mode on the receiver) results in no noticeable lag. I accidentally started playing with the receiver set to Dolgy Digital and had noticeable lag. So if you have equipment that has the option of passing straight through without and additional signal processing you should be able to get minimal lag.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Gah, snapped my e string and am not in the mood to restring tonight... blah

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Eh, one string isn't so bad.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    How are you stringing them? I changed my method to making the little lock and havent broken a string in years.

If you're just pulling the string through and turning the key you're gonna have a bad time

• Options
    They needed to be changed as they were pretty worn down. I was bending the e pretty far and was not surprised when it went pop.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    When I changed my strings fairly recently, they were all green from the fact that I hadn't changed the strings at all since I got the guitar when I was 13/14. I just turned 25. The guitar was the store's floor model, too.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    When I changed my strings fairly recently, they were all green from the fact that I hadn't changed the strings at all since I got the guitar when I was 13/14. I just turned 25. The guitar was the store's floor model, too.

All the dead skin under those frets sitting for 11 years. The rust the metal strings could have built up. Give that guitar some TLC and give it a complete cleaning! Some polish for the body and a good cleaning at the frets!

• Options

All the dead skin under those frets sitting for 11 years. The rust the metal strings could have built up. Give that guitar some TLC and give it a complete cleaning! Some polish for the body and a good cleaning at the frets!

I uh, just wiped the fretboard with a sock to get all the dust away. I didn't have any of the lemon stuff I've seen people use, but it looks good. Also, the guitar sounded funny for a while after I put on the strings, and I was terrified because I don't know what I'm doing and had to watch several conflicting Youtube video how-to guides. I think my guitar might just sound like what a guitar is supposed to sound like.

All my bridge pins snapped when I was prying them out, as well. Cheap plastic things.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I took my electric in to a shop to have it restrung & set up about a year ago. I restrung my acoustic recently. My 12-string acoustic (still wearing strings from the Clinton administration, I suspect) will have to wait for another trip to the shop ...

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I took my electric in to a shop to have it restrung & set up about a year ago. I restrung my acoustic recently. My 12-string acoustic (still wearing strings from the Clinton administration, I suspect) will have to wait for another trip to the shop ...

I recently learned that my mom who played guitar for 30 years had never restrung a guitar herself. She had always taken it by the local music shop.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    wiped the fretboard with a sock

Totally rock'n'roll, dude. Fuck that lemon stuff.

All this talk of re-stringing has reminded me it must be time to change my own. They're starting develop that olive colour around the most frequently used frets.

Thinking of trying out a thicker string gauge this time. 10-46 has served me well, but I find myself drop-tuning a lot of the time now and would like to move away from the overcooked spaghetti feel.

Pasha on
  • Options
    And from my session last night: The Bach minuet is really fun and I need to try to boost my level. And the rhythm track for Killer Queen may be the piece that finally teaches me how Rocksmith grades bends.

• Options
    dasnoob wrote: »
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

I recently learned that my mom who played guitar for 30 years had never restrung a guitar herself. She had always taken it by the local music shop.

Restringing in general I don't mind. I took the electric in because I wanted a full set-up done. I'll take the 12-string in because that's just more of a pain than I'm interested in dealing with.

• Options
    How is a 12-string even tuned? Is each set identical?

• Options
    How is a 12-string even tuned? Is each set identical?

Each string is doubled (so you're still playing six courses; you're just pressing down two strings for each note). Usually the lower strings (EADG) have one string at the standard pitch and one tuned an octave higher and the top two strings (Be) are just doubled -- two strings playing the same pitch. Some people prefer to have the G string doubled at the same pitch instead of an octave higher.

Here's a review of an acoustic 12 string (much nicer than mine; sigh) that shows one being played.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    It's also, of course, possible to tune matched strings on a 12-string to something other than octaves, but it's significantly harder to execute than alternate tunings on a 6-string guitar because most of the chord shapes you know will not sound the chord you're expecting unless you're unrealistically great at muting specific strings.

This blog post I found in the first couple google results for alternate 12-string tunings illustrates the issues pretty succinctly:

http://www.guitarnoise.com/help/alternate-tuning-for-a-12-string-guitar/

• Options
    It's also, of course, possible to tune matched strings on a 12-string to something other than octaves, but it's significantly harder to execute than alternate tunings on a 6-string guitar because most of the chord shapes you know will not sound the chord you're expecting unless you're unrealistically great at muting specific strings.

This blog post I found in the first couple google results for alternate 12-string tunings illustrates the issues pretty succinctly:

http://www.guitarnoise.com/help/alternate-tuning-for-a-12-string-guitar/

Yep, and even single-note runs will sound weird, again unless you can pick just one string out of a pair.

When I was playing my 12-string more regularly, I usually kept it in lute tuning (3rd string pair dropped from G to F#) and played lots of tablatures from Mel Bay early music collections. Actually, I'd usually tune it down a whole step (to reduce tension on the neck/body), then capo up on the 4th fret (to make some of those fretting-hand finger stretches more manageable). Always a bear to keep in tune, though.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The bass I got last summer I cleaned and restringed
    And it was gross to clean
    but it looked far better after I cleaned it

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Looks like we're getting some Foreigner tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked about that.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    holy shit rocksmith are you in my freaking mind?

• Options
    I thought about Foreigner DLC and other than "Jukebox Hero" I can't really think of any great guitar riff songs by them.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I thought about Foreigner DLC and other than "Jukebox Hero" I can't really think of any great guitar riff songs by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1m2BAg2Sc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNm_LihEsn0

• Options
    edited September 2014
    I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3dfGv7cD7o

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    official song listing:

Cold as Ice
    Double Vision
    Feels like the first time
    Hot blooded
    Jukebox Hero

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    This week's dlc and 38 Special will make me play the game for real instead of goofing off playing the same 6 songs

• Options
    I lied I also want The Sword to come to rocksmith as well

• Options
    I've got long skirt/short jacket almost to 100% on learn a song. I've been sitting down and just doing nonstop for about 20 minutes then playing a specific song for a bit. I have a problem though, my arm resting on my guitar causes it to tilt back at the top because of the fact I weigh too damn much. This makes me have to reach too far for chords which makes my wrist hurt after about 20 minutes.

• Options
    So I've been playing 11s for so long I never really stopped to consider why... but I may drop to some 10s after last night. I was going through lessons just to do them really, hit the one that's like "we're gonna do a 3 half step bend," and proceeded to physically hurt my hand for 10 minutes till i finally got through the only bend they ask you to do in that lesson.

I realize that's not really something that will come up often but my normal bends always seem not enough for the game and i bend to the point where I can't bend it no more cap'n

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Yeah, I couldn't imagine playing 11s in standard E tuning. I know everyone has their preferences, but ouch. I mean, my guitars that I keep in C standard are 12s (with a wound 3rd string).

Foreigner could be fun to play. There's quite a few songs that I like by artists I overall do not like and that pack is a prime example.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Do what I do and grab some light top heavy bottoms! 10-52 rather than 10-46 or 11-whatevers, the best of both worlds.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    That Foreigner list is insane. My god the DLC over the last month has been bonkers!

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    official song listing:

Cold as Ice
    Double Vision
    Feels like the first time
    Hot blooded
    Jukebox Hero

I can't remember the last time I was this psyched for DLC.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Yeah, I couldn't imagine playing 11s in standard E tuning. I know everyone has their preferences, but ouch. I mean, my guitars that I keep in C standard are 12s (with a wound 3rd string).

Foreigner could be fun to play. There's quite a few songs that I like by artists I overall do not like and that pack is a prime example.

I used to do this, but have since moved back down to 10-48s