As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith 2014] Light your fire with 12 Hendrix songs. Next Gen is here! steam sale

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    The Tom Petty songs leaked last week are coming Tuesday!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Sweet! Now I can see how wrong I was when I taught myself "Free Fallin'" by ear many years ago.

I'm almost starting to wish there was a version I could play on a tablet or something -- I think part of the trouble I have is having to shift my glance from a screen in front of me to my guitar down in my lap; it'd be easier if I could, e.g., sit with a guitar in my lap and the game open on a tablet laying flat on a table in front of me or some such.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »

Sweet! Now I can see how wrong I was when I taught myself "Free Fallin'" by ear many years ago.

I'm almost starting to wish there was a version I could play on a tablet or something -- I think part of the trouble I have is having to shift my glance from a screen in front of me to my guitar down in my lap; it'd be easier if I could, e.g., sit with a guitar in my lap and the game open on a tablet laying flat on a table in front of me or some such.
    If I'm remembering right from when I learned it's capo on the 3rd and then a D Dsus4 A progression, but it's been a while. Looking forward to a day off and the Petty pack tomorrow.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I feel bad but I'm probably never going to play seven nation army. I'm just not really going to ever tune to Open A.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel bad but I'm probably never going to play seven nation army. I'm just not really going to ever tune to Open A.

I am never going to play it as I dislike Jack White and his girly hands after I can't hear you
    It was a horrible way to teach palm mutes

• Options

The rhythm track is in standard tuning, at least. And I'm trying to remember if it's actually different from the lead track other than the chord shapes -- did the lead track have any single-note stuff?

• Options

If I'm remembering right from when I learned it's capo on the 3rd and then a D Dsus4 A progression, but it's been a while. Looking forward to a day off and the Petty pack tomorrow.

That sounds right. The rhythm track has a capo (so I didn't try it last night because I would've had to go dig a capo out of one of my other guitar cases; speaking of which, any recommendations on a good capo for an electric? Mine tend to work better on fat-necked acoustics); the lead track is in standard tuning and is mostly moving between F and Bb.

The lead track for I Won't Back Down is in open G and probably begs to be played with a slide; but my slide-fu is extremely weak.

• Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2014

That sounds right. The rhythm track has a capo (so I didn't try it last night because I would've had to go dig a capo out of one of my other guitar cases; speaking of which, any recommendations on a good capo for an electric? Mine tend to work better on fat-necked acoustics); the lead track is in standard tuning and is mostly moving between F and Bb.

The lead track for I Won't Back Down is in open G and probably begs to be played with a slide; but my slide-fu is extremely weak.
    Ended up having to hold off on the Petty pack for now (lack of funds :( ), but I'm lookin forward to trying out I Won't Back Down as it's been a favorite for a long time and one I hadn't gotten around to learning. As for capo suggestions I'm not positive that I have this brand, but it's the same style and this one is designed for electrics so it's worth a shot: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kyser-KGEB-Quick-Change-Electric-6-String-Capo-361601-i1130239.gc

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    Starting today my xbox360 locks up when loading rocksmith2014. No other game has this happen and I haven't changed anything from when it would play yesterday :(

• Options

Ended up having to hold off on the Petty pack for now (lack of funds :( ), but I'm lookin forward to trying out I Won't Back Down as it's been a favorite for a long time and one I hadn't gotten around to learning. As for capo suggestions I'm not positive that I have this brand, but it's the same style and this one is designed for electrics so it's worth a shot: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kyser-KGEB-Quick-Change-Electric-6-String-Capo-361601-i1130239.gc

Thanks! I'll check that one out -- it looks very similar to the ones I see folks using on stage all the time.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    I'm quite happy with my Shubb, and would highly recommend it over the standard style capo. The screw-based mechanism means you can vary how tightly it grips. Just as when fretting with your fingers, a capo can apply too much pressure to a string and fret it out of tune, wrecking your intonation while you play up the neck. However, the amount of pressure needed varies based upon how far up the neck you are setting the capo, so it helps to be able to adjust the capo accordingly.

• Options
    The Shubbs are what I do have already -- maybe I'll have to dig one out and mess with the adjustment mechanism a bit more.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    The Shubbs are what I do have already -- maybe I'll have to dig one out and mess with the adjustment mechanism a bit more.

It's not as quick as the standard type, but I've never really needed to put them on super quick either. I guess it depends on your needs.

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    dasnoob wrote: »
    Starting today my xbox360 locks up when loading rocksmith2014. No other game has this happen and I haven't changed anything from when it would play yesterday :(

Evidently something is up with UPlay. Disconnect the console from the internet and it works fine. Already deleted my saves though :( I guess that doesn't matter because they were on the cloud anyway.

• Options
    Tomorrow: The Foo Fighters 2nd Pack and I believe the songs are:
    Monkey Wrench
    Rope
    Learn To Fly
    The Pretender

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    For some reason I thought monkey wrench and learn to fly were already in there.

Pretender will be fun and I have no idea what the other one is

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Wouldn't shock me if the Foo Fighters are using this as an opportunity to promote the new album.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    So I've picked this up for my dad for the holidays. He has no experience with a guitar, but really likes classic rock and really likes his computer so I thought it would be a fun intersection of the two. Thus far I have secured:
    • Rocksmith 2014 on Steam (+a Steam account for him)
    • RealTone USB Cable
    • Guitar

Is there anything I am missing that will be crucial to the Rocksmith experience, or is he good to go?

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    TDawg wrote: »
    So I've picked this up for my dad for the holidays. He has no experience with a guitar, but really likes classic rock and really likes his computer so I thought it would be a fun intersection of the two. Thus far I have secured:
    • RealTone USB Cable
    • Guitar

Is there anything I am missing that will be crucial to the Rocksmith experience, or is he good to go?

Depending on his musical taste, you might keep an eye out for a sale on the original Rocksmith. I believe it has gone as low as $7.50 several times. With that, plus the $10 "Disc Import Tool" which is really just a licensing fee, you can import all* the RS1 songs into RS2014 which has a much better interface than RS1. So Basically, for about $20, you can increase the library by about 50 songs

*1 or 2 songs don't carry over for licensing reasons or something like that

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Foo Fighters II Song Pack – $11.99 / Steam

Foo Fighters “Learn To Fly” – [XBL] / Steam
    Foo Fighters “Long Road To Ruin” – [XBL] / Steam
    Foo Fighters “Monkey Wrench” – Drop D – [XBL] / Steam
    Foo Fighters “The Pretender” – [XBL] / Steam
    Foo Fighters “Rope” – [XBL] / Steam

• Options
    Back from seeing Hot Rize at thecedar.org, my absolute favorite venue for live music on the entire planet.

What do we have to do to get some bluegrass tracks?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Gonna start sprucing up a new OP sometime soon. Actually kind of surprised this thing has almost hit 100 pages. I haven't played my guitar since destiny, but in the next few days I am going to have to. Warm up, get my feet wet, then go into session mode and compare my licks compared to a year ago when my horrible self was trying to show what to do to a few of you in session mode lol. I wonder how many of us could blind sight read a song and beat the scores we submitted for the weekly competition.

Anyways, anything you guys think should be added, or removed? Any great videos, links, etc.. that have helped you?

*edit* here's the last one I recorded, and I think I did this one in mind when people were asking what to do. Anyways this is me a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuYFUipyZCE&index=53&list=UUw7ZXtyC4lMcEnRzo50Ak5g

Soon, I may try to revisit this little thing, or at least the same settings, and see what I can do compared to them.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Looks like tomorrow is a Bullet for My Valentine pack. Gross.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well .38 Special would be neat to have
    But I doubt a lot of the songs I suggest are ever going to make it to Rocksmith

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Eheheh, I had a Bullet For My Valentine phase. Tears Don't Fall is pretty fun to play if you have a delay pedal.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I never listened to them. for a long time i assumed they were similar to My Bloody Valentine. I was way wrong

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    • RealTone USB Cable
    • Guitar

depending on his set-up a good set of speakers for his computer so he can really crank it.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will keep them in mind.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Welp, got my HTPC parts on the way along with a Real Tone cable. See you guys soon!

*headbangs to For Those About to Rock*

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Welp, got my HTPC parts on the way along with a Real Tone cable. See you guys soon!

There's no ACDC here! but we do have a nickleback pack you can buy

• Options
    CDLC is in that weird legal grey area because once the songs become available to purchase, the creators usually pull the songs off and you can't get them easily anymore.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Awaiting mod response on talk about cdlc for the game. Hopefully hear back in time for the new OP

• Options

Whether the song is in the game or not does not decrease its appropriateness for the situation. :biggrin:

I'll need to give my bass a good once over when I get home tomorrow night and make sure its all ready to go. I haven't played it in a long while.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Whether the song is in the game or not does not decrease its appropriateness for the situation. :biggrin:

I'll need to give my bass a good once over when I get home tomorrow night and make sure its all ready to go. I haven't played it in a long while.

Are you just getting the game? sub-question do you like the smashing pumpkins?

• Options
    I don't yet own Cherub Rock.

>_>

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2014

Are you just getting the game? sub-question do you like the smashing pumpkins?

I'm getting the game via Steam and have a cable on order. I'll browse the DLC after I get my HTPC built and everything installed.

Sub-Answer - Not particularly.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    This Tuesday's DLC .... Bon Jovi

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    This Tuesday's DLC .... Bon Jovi

I will probably buy it. I will feel much shame but I will probably buy it.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    RS2014 currently 66% off and DLC 50% off on the Steam sale.

EDIT: Most DLC 25%-50% off, that is.

EDIT EDIT: Looks like the discounted songs are 50% and the discounted song packs are 25%. Which is stupid since that means in most, if not all cases, it's cheaper to buy the individual songs. Also, same deal on original Rocksmith DLC. And as I'm scrolling through the original RS DLC I have to say that I'm happy that RS2014 doesn't try to sell you venues or unlockable tone customization packs &c.

JOE_1967 on
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    RS2014 currently 66% off and DLC 50% off on the Steam sale.

EDIT: Most DLC 25%-50% off, that is.

EDIT EDIT: Looks like the discounted songs are 50% and the discounted song packs are 25%. Which is stupid since that means in most, if not all cases, it's cheaper to buy the individual songs. Also, same deal on original Rocksmith DLC. And as I'm scrolling through the original RS DLC I have to say that I'm happy that RS2014 doesn't try to sell you venues or unlockable tone customization packs &c.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just grabbed:

The Black Keys - Just Got To Be
    The Police - Roxanne
    Living Colour - Cult of Personality
    Blind Melon - No Rain
    The Police - Message In A Bottle
    The Police - Synchronicity II
    Cake - The Distance
    Cake - I Will Survive

Now I need to figure out how to get my bass to work for the Cake songs.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman