As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rocksmith 2014] Light your fire with 12 Hendrix songs. Next Gen is here! steam sale

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow!?

Dammit, I'm too poor. And not finished Rocksmith.

Dang. Lemme know how great it is guys. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Tomorrow!?

Dammit, I'm too poor. And not finished Rocksmith.

Dang. Lemme know how great it is guys. <3

Tuesday so you still have time to recycle, donate plasma, and other bodily fluids if you meet the requirments!

Also, the rocksmith for $10 deal is kinda complicated but real I guess. Its from bestbuy.com
    i just ordered rocksmith from bestbuy.com for $10 the other day. you have to have a reward zone and gamer club account tied to your best buy account for the price drop to take effect in the cart.

It seems like a great price and hell, I'd pay that for the cord

If you're still ont he fence and this works for you, you could get the cordless version of 2014 for $60, and RS1 for $10 with the cable. Thats cheaper than $80 for RS2014 with the cable. Plus you'll have the ability to export.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    I preordered the PC version from Steam and can't wait to tear into it tomorrow, especially now that they've actually added fret numbers to the blocks.

In my wildest dreams, what I'd really like to see is actual tablatures for all of the songs -- something that you could work with off-line, or at least without the game constantly pushing the notes forward; there are some bits that are really hard to nail down if I can't see the actual notes & rhythms.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I preordered the PC version from Steam and can't wait to tear into it tomorrow, especially now that they've actually added fret numbers to the blocks.

In my wildest dreams, what I'd really like to see is actual tablatures for all of the songs -- something that you could work with off-line, or at least without the game constantly pushing the notes forward; there are some bits that are really hard to nail down if I can't see the actual notes & rhythms.

you could tear your hair out in riff repeater (another thing I hope they make some changes to)

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    you could tear your hair out in riff repeater (another thing I hope they make some changes to)

Yes, very, very true. Sometimes even on stupid & easy things -- it took me the longest time to get the riff on Well OK Honey because it's all eighth notes and I kept wanting to do the pull-offs as sixteenth-notes.

And riff repeater needs much better feedback -- it's often hard to tell what I'm actually screwing up -- and it'd be nice if we could move away from the situation where I have to keep playing the same 30 second phrase because I have problems with the second-to-the-last note.

• Options
    From the sounds of it they've made a lot of improvements to both the riff repeater, and on learning songs. You can individually tune difficulty levels of sections
    One minute in
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrRTHQr9TFI&amp;feature=player_embedded

Just googled and still no info about what tracks are exportable and the price. Also, I haven't heard if theres any difference whatsoever between the RS and RS2014 cable, I don't believe so though.

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I can't quote a source, but as I understand it, it uses the same cable as the first game.

Per their FAQ

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-us/faq/

Yes it will. The Real Tone Cable is compatible and required for all versions of Rocksmith.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    yeah the FAQ on their site made it sound like it is exactly the same cable.

• Options
    I knew the 2 cables were combatible, just wasn't sure if there were any changes, even small ones such as length. If there was I'd consider maybe getting it. Has anyone ever tried extending the cable? I'd worry it might introduce a slight ammount of lag and mess with the game. But sometimes the cord seems so short! Also, with them really pushing session mode, I wasn't sure if it had some sort of aux port or anything. Would be nice if there was a quick and easy way to enable different fx in session mode.

Good to know they're exactly the same though. I'm going to look through their forums and see if theres anything on the exportable songs. Hope I get this early tomorrow and can play for an hour before work.

• Options
    Just came across this and going to add it the OP.

A sampling of 30+ riffs of songs that will be in RS 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQlC3YE_HTo

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    That bestbuy deal is enough to push me over the edge, guess I'll give this game a try. No more excuses for leaving my guitars in their cases.

• Options
    That bestbuy deal is enough to push me over the edge, guess I'll give this game a try. No more excuses for leaving my guitars in their cases.

By everything seen, RS2014 blows RS out of the water. Every complaint I had seems to be addressed, and complaints I never realized I had have been fixed. Also, session mode looks like the shit.

• Options
    Shhhhhutuuuuup

I'm gonna play the heckoutta RS now and be jelly of y'all

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »

By everything seen, RS2014 blows RS out of the water. Every complaint I had seems to be addressed, and complaints I never realized I had have been fixed. Also, session mode looks like the shit.

I also ordered RS2014, so no worries there. Getting the songs from RS (pending whatever export fee they charge) and the cable for less than a cable bundle of RS2014 would have cost was the draw.

• Options

I also ordered RS2014, so no worries there. Getting the songs from RS (pending whatever export fee they charge) and the cable for less than a cable bundle of RS2014 would have cost was the draw.

Ah, gotcha :)

Still no word on export fee, guess we'll find out tonight if the feature is available at launch. It's up on steam, and some people have early copies according to the RS forums (I believe UBI gave some out early to people with their RS journey stories) , but nobody has mentioned the export. Oh well, guess we shall see. I'm more looking forward to session mode anyways, so I probably won't play any songs for a good while.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I think that was my post about the best buy deal. Sorry I didn't know there was a RS thread or I would have brought it over here to.

I just got it in the mail and I haven't had a chance to play it (stupid shared TV with a family member who must be 100% in charge of it if he is home) but it seemed like an awesome way to not have my guitars sitting in cases all the time.

• Options
    Oh, another feature that I'd love (that won't be in there, I'm guessing) -- the ability to edit the transcriptions. Most of RS is pretty solid, but they did some weird things (not pulling off to open strings in the opening riff to Cult of Personality, e.g., and putting high G's (e string 3rd fret) instead of normal G's (G string open) in the intro to More Than a Feeling, e.g.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    Oh, another feature that I'd love (that won't be in there, I'm guessing) -- the ability to edit the transcriptions. Most of RS is pretty solid, but they did some weird things (not pulling off to open strings in the opening riff to Cult of Personality, e.g., and putting high G's (e string 3rd fret) instead of normal G's (G string open) in the intro to More Than a Feeling, e.g.

I don't see that being a feature added in. As far as I know they do research and tab it out how the actual guitarist chooses to play it. It isn't always optimal IMO. There's nothing from stopping you from playing it how you want though. If it's the same note, the way the tech works, it'll accept it.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    You can still play G open, the game can't tell the difference.

Edit: Dang, I've been beat.

Ov3rcharge on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    2 hours tonight revealed to me that my hands are inadequately calloused these days. I'm really liking it though. Really appreciating how it builds up to full song difficulty.

• Options
    2 hours tonight revealed to me that my hands are inadequately calloused these days. I'm really liking it though. Really appreciating how it builds up to full song difficulty.

If you're talking about the original RS, ya they changed something in a patch at some point. I know when it first released it was painful. Somewhere along the lines my save data got corrupted and I had to start over, with the very first rolling stones lesson. I stopped playing the game lol. I picked it up again last weekend and I must say things unlocked much quicker it seems this time. Maybe it's because I edited the set lists and put in some harder DLC songs, I dunno, but I'm now getting solo's I can't quite handle, and that makes me happy. I'm really curious how the default ramp up is in RS 2014. I'm tempted to try that instead of setting it somewhere manually.

• Options
    I don't see that being a feature added in. As far as I know they do research and tab it out how the actual guitarist chooses to play it. It isn't always optimal IMO. There's nothing from stopping you from playing it how you want though. If it's the same note, the way the tech works, it'll accept it.

Yeah, I know it won't be there -- I'm just dreaming. I know it'll accept enharmonics (same note on a different string/fret) -- I just have to try to mentally adjust. With More Than a Feeling it's a bit more complicated -- as near as I can tell, the intro was originally played on a 12-string and for some reason they're transcribing the note from the octave-strung G string onto the e string instead of transcribing the note from the standard G.

I do have to say that for the most part they do a really good job of taking the arrangements and subtracting notes to lower the difficulty in such a way that you do start to learn the phrases and then can start filling in more notes; sometimes, though, in Riff Repeater I find myself manually pushing up the difficulty because certain phrases make more sense with more of the notes added back in.

Now I just have to wait for 2014 to unlock on Steam ...

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

My hands can count as a pair of gloves

I kind of waited since I thought the price without the cable was kind of steep and I was thinking about getting the combo with the guitar so my brother would shut up about how my guitars are unplayable

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So for some reason all the stores up in Canada have the PS3 and 360 versions but not the PC versions. Also, Amazon.com won't ship the PC version to Canada, and Amazon.ca doesn't have the PC version as available. But I can buy it on steam, but then I don't have the cable.

WTF?

• Options
    dasnoobdasnoob ArkansasRegistered User regular
    It is soooo hard for me not to get this. I grew up around guitars and spent many evenings with my mom out on the backporch singing harmony (don't laugh). Anyways I currently don't own a guitar and the bundle is calling to me.

• Options
    Quick first impressions.

Session mode is amazing. Follow the lessons though, to get it going. I was frustrated at first because you had to set the metronome. And I couldn't find the BPM for what I wanted to play. SO I just jammed something else, had a blast, most amazing thing ever.

Then, I got the lesson for using a preloaded band. Preloaded bands are where they follow you and auto analyze the BPM.

30 minutes of session mode, and I must say, most amazing thing for a guitar ever. I mean Ever. I came up with a new riff and a little bit of a crappy solo. This is going to be so awesome. Can't wait to get home from work tonight.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Quick first impressions.

Session mode is amazing. Follow the lessons though, to get it going. I was frustrated at first because you had to set the metronome. And I couldn't find the BPM for what I wanted to play. SO I just jammed something else, had a blast, most amazing thing ever.

Then, I got the lesson for using a preloaded band. Preloaded bands are where they follow you and auto analyze the BPM.

30 minutes of session mode, and I must say, most amazing thing for a guitar ever. I mean Ever. I came up with a new riff and a little bit of a crappy solo. This is going to be so awesome. Can't wait to get home from work tonight.

@Tommatt

Thank you so so much for making a thread about this. I would have never known this even existed if not for your incredible OP. I've been looking for something like this for years that didn't cost me an arm and leg. I ran out today and grabbed a copy; my only regret is that I can't call out of work sick tomorrow and just jam all day.

• Options
    So I played an hour of the timed mode and then I jammed with the roboband for like 20 minutes until I sucked so hard at it that the game just said enough is enough and hardlocked on me. That's the second hard lock I've had with this game so far and I've had it for like 4 hours.
    That said, pretty much everything has drastically been improved in just about every imaginable way.

• Options
    It'll take a bit of adjustment, I think, but so far I'm liking it -- no noticeable lag on my PC, and having the fret numbers more visible is definitely going to help. I also paid $10 to transfer [most of] the songs from the original version to 2014; unfortunately, it looks like they still haven't gotten the "Your DLC will follow you" thing working yet. Ah, well, plenty of new songs to keep me busy in the interim. Or I can just keep obsessively replaying Jarvis Cocker's Angela.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    I never owned the original Rocksmith, but this thread has pushed me over the edge and I just ordered the PS3 version of 2014 from Amazon. I loved Guitar Hero back in the day and I have a few actual guitars (an Epiphone Les Paul being my main one), but the farthest I got on my own was Smoke on the Water and the main riff to Joker and the Thief. Rocksmith seems like a great learning tool and I'm pretty excited to give it a go.

Is DLC from the first game available in 2014?

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Just played two hours straight on this game.

Holy fuck.

This game is the truth. Unequivocally the truth.

• Options
    I never owned the original Rocksmith, but this thread has pushed me over the edge and I just ordered the PS3 version of 2014 from Amazon. I loved Guitar Hero back in the day and I have a few actual guitars (an Epiphone Les Paul being my main one), but the farthest I got on my own was Smoke on the Water and the main riff to Joker and the Thief. Rocksmith seems like a great learning tool and I'm pretty excited to give it a go.

Is DLC from the first game available in 2014?

yes. Mine all showed up in the list naturally without any extra input from me. I also paid the $10 for the original songs because this really is the comprehensive version of the game; the last game is really obsoleted by this.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    So is the bundle with the guitar worth it? I have zero guitar experience or knowledge, and this looks like a good place to start.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Just got done playing a few hours and boy I love the changes... I'm a newb guitarist and the changes have helped me when the difficulty changes and I get lost, I just hit space and enter Riff Repeater and slow things down till I have a grasp, then go back to finishing the song. One thing I've noticed is that the fret on the fingers seems to disappear at some point while playing? Or I'm so tunnel vision that I'm not seeing them. Sometimes they'll be there and then a few bars later they will start to disappear on me. Anyway, great so far, can't wait for pay day to I can import the original songs and whenever they get me my DLC from the original as well...

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    So is the bundle with the guitar worth it? I have zero guitar experience or knowledge, and this looks like a good place to start.

For actual cash money, I believe you save about $20 or so, and get 6 additional songs. The guitar is a very basic beginners model. Epiphone Les Paul JR. Sells for around $120-$130. I love epiphones, and love my Les Paul Custom I have. That said, I have never played a JR model, nor any of epiphones low end versions. It has to be just as good as a cheap strat jr though I'd assume. I'd be fine for somebody just learning, but if you get into it, you're going to want something nicer.

Been waiting all day to play this, especially now I know how to get the band to follow me. Bout time for some more session mode. I wonder when I'll actually touch a song. I played one mini game just to get the mission. There is so much I want to do in this game. I love it so far. It's everything I wanted from the first one so far, and more. I didn't even know I wanted/needed some of this stuff. Like session mode. Who would have ever thought. It is freaking amazing though. I would have been happy with some static backing tracks you know?

*Edit*
    Seriously, I don't know how much I"ve spent on pedals over the years, played around with drum machines, searched youtube for backing tracks to play, etc.... and this AI mode could have sold as PC software by itself for $100 in the back of musicians friend or something. For an intermediate guitar player like me, who mainly likes to pick up the guitar and come up with my own riffs and screw around, this is a dream come true. The ultimate guitar experience.

*EDIT 2*

I would say that one thing is missing from this game. In some other plug in your guitar game, that basically is a bunch of tab and backing tracks, they have the ability to screw off, and record it, and post to social media. If I could start up session mode, save songs to my HD, and share with XBL friends/FB/Youtube, that would be the icing on the cake.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Ok we need to friends list each other to get competition going on the mini games. I'm Tommatt on the 360. I'll add a section in the OP if theres room, or the 2nd post if not.

Also gamespot review is out and they think highly of it. Gave it an 8. Video added to OP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KNo1wNwj0w

I think the review is pretty spot on. Numbers don't really matter, an 8 is pretty high, and this game is pretty niche. For what it sets out to do, I think it accomplishes it. I'm not sure what else they could have done so far. I'd give it a 9, for what it is, but an 8 is pretty good as a video game. It's exceeded my expectations and I've only played 2 mini games and a shit load of session mode.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

I would say as an epiphone is basically Gibson on a budget and what Tommatt said

I have a Gibson flying v90d my fender strat of old and my Emily is Strange SG

But with the import tool I am forced to get if I want to play the songs from the first edition I will wait and see if it gets lower as 60+ 10 is a little steep for me

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    I like it quite a bit, and this isn't a complaint, more of a, I wonder why they did that?

The my path is cool, but I feel bad when I say I want to learn lead over rhythm. I know they are technically two different things, but at the same time I don't think anybody went wrong learning both. Not a huge deal and I know you can switch at anytime, but it just seems a little odd.

Edit: I do love how much faster it is to get in and get playing, the old loading times were fairly annoying, but 2014 is so much snappier.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    Import tool?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OK, a couple of things -- I think I'm going to miss the whole setlist/rehearse/perform/encore thing, but I'll get over it. (And I had started to get really irritated because on those infrequent occasions when I scored an encore, I was often getting a Master encore for some song I hadn't played in weeks and couldn't possibly remember; I won't miss that one little bit.) And I'm not entirely sure about the new way they're showing bends, but I'm sure I'll get used to it in time. Aside from that, it seems like a vast improvement over the original game, which I already liked quite a bit.