As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, September 27, 2013 - The Tithe, Page Ten

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited September 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    KamelonKamelon Canberra, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Wow, not quite how I expected it to end, but amazingly gorgeous. I love how the creature's mane has bloomed too. And Hanna clearly has power, here. She's not frightened any more. Awesome :D

As Mike tweeted, this is the end of the Tithe, but the beginning for Hanna. I've loved this series and can't wait for more Eyrewood stuff (and to hear Mike and Jerry's thoughts on The Tithe as a whole now that it's complete).

EDIT: Actually, this kinda is how I thought it would end. I hoped they'd team up. It's just something about Jerry's words here that stick in my mind and give me the feeling of much more behind this and more to come. It really does seem like an origin story with epic adventures and mysteries of the Forest just around the corner.

Kamelon on
    Pinny Arcade Collection & Trades
    Heroic Coaching & Consulting - Personal Development & Coaching For Nerds

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6423-4833

"Every suggestion from the FAQ with a link? Kamelon. A truly Organised Pinthusiast." - PedroAsani
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2013
    Ch-ch-ch-chia

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    <-- Needs more Hanna.

• Options
    AnkleAnkle Registered User new member
    mononoke_poster.jpg

• Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    This is both the perfect place to end... and goddammit the worst place to end why is it ending I want mooooorrrrrrreeeee

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    megascorchermegascorcher NorwayRegistered User regular
    Fukken majestic, Gabe *wipes tear*

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I was hoping it would end with her healing the tree lion, then finding a Lookout injured in the fight and putting him down, the way we would an injured animal. That would have been powerful stuff, and shown her shift to the Forest in a big way.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    This makes one wonder (or it does for me at least) just how many of the creatures that the Lookouts try to kill for badges, to become men, and to protect the villages are actually Mothers to various Daughters of Eyrewood.

How many of them were once people?! No wonder Steve didn't like Hanna to much. He saw what was coming and knew he might eventually have to kill or fight off another goddamn forest creature if it crossed his path again.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    I'm not ready for this to end. I'm so invested, the pacing was slow but I was loving every minute of it. This being the end makes it kinda feel like just a prologue or like a trailer for a movie.

I'm not really complaining, I just hope they make moves to get this story rolling sooner rather than later. Right now I can honestly say I want more Tithe more than I want more Penny Arcade. I really kinda thought we'd actually learn about the Daughters this time. Learn what kind of organizational structure they have, if any. Learn about who the Daughters are as individuals, what their goals are. Learn about their power and what they do with it.

I feel kinda like I just got handed a book with a beautiful cover and an intriguing premise, but I'm not allowed to open it yet.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Lookouts 'bout to get jacked

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Best worst best ending.

But for real though: That Art.

• Options
    MerneithMerneith Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I don't know - I don't think that's a tree-lion. I think ... we might be looking at a Crone. Maybe Hanna isn't turning into a tree or even a treeant, but a non-humanoid plant life. I mean, if you're going to turn into a tree, why not go ahead and turn into a lion-tree? You're not human, at that point, so why get hung up on staying bipedal?

Whatever it is, it seems to be the one talking and proclaiming Hanna, Her Daughter, so I'm thinking that's not just a random beast-in-need - especially since it, too, is covered in pretty blooming flowers.

Bad news: The Crone has cankles.
    Good news: The Crone is a mother-loving badass.

Unless I'm wrong of course, which wouldn't surprise me. Write Faster, Jerry!

Merneith on
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    It's certainly a bit ambiguous, but I don't think the voice is coming from the tree lion in particular, I think it's channelling through the forest and its creatures, which just includes the tree lion. Since we heard it in the first panel, and the critter wasn't there then.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Merneith wrote: »
    I don't know - I don't think that's a tree-lion. I think ... we might be looking at a Crone. Maybe Hanna isn't turning into a tree or even a treeant, but a non-humanoid plant life. I mean, if you're going to turn into a tree, why not go ahead and turn into a lion-tree? You're not human, at that point, so why get hung up on staying bipedal?

Whatever it is, it seems to be the one talking and proclaiming Hanna, Her Daughter, so I'm thinking that's not just a random beast-in-need - especially since it, too, is covered in pretty blooming flowers.

I think the tree-lion is speaking as the forest. So when it says my daughter, I interpret it to mean the daughter of the entire forest and not just of that particular creature. Especially given how the older daughter looked in the earlier panels, it makes more sense to me that the tree-lion as a member of the forest is claiming her for the entire place.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I didn't read it like the tree-lion was speaking at all - it's the same script style used for the first comic, the forest itself's voice.
    I read it as basically a voiceover.
    Tree-lion's just roaring.

• Options
    kraughmarkraughmar Kingston, ONRegistered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    I didn't read it like the tree-lion was speaking at all - it's the same script style used for the first comic, the forest itself's voice.

Indeed. And I'm not sure why people are thinking the Daughters turn into tree-beasts when they get old? All we have seen of Daughters of the Eyrewood shows them as still recognizably human. The girls are girls, the "mother" or perhaps older sister from earlier in this strip has some branches, but is a woman. The crone from that Cryptozoic page is clearly an old woman. The forest beasts are just local fauna.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    furlion wrote: »

I think the tree-lion is speaking as the forest. So when it says my daughter, I interpret it to mean the daughter of the entire forest and not just of that particular creature. Especially given how the older daughter looked in the earlier panels, it makes more sense to me that the tree-lion as a member of the forest is claiming her for the entire place.

I was under the impression that the tree lion, given this last panel, called Hanna to the forest.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    Love it...so freaking much. I would totally read this story every update for as long as Mike and Jerry want to put it out there...I want the books, the comics, the art, I love this world that they're building with the Lookouts, Thornwatch, and the Daughters.

I was talking to the hubby about video games, and I realized I would kill to play a video game based on this world. The logistics would be ridiculous, I know...but to get to play as a Daughter or a Lookout and been immersed in this world would be amazing.

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I kinda think the forest called Hanna to the forest.

• Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    Wow! The art, the prose, the worldbuilding are all phenomenal! It seems that Mike and Jerry's skills have finally reached a point where they can tell these stories with the craft they deserve. I wouldn't be at all surprised if 10, 15, 20 years from now the world of The Lookouts is a massive international film and book franchise while Penny-Arcade is remembered wistfully as a small webcomic Mike and Jerry dabbled in before they "hit the big-time."

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Fantastic!

tenouttaten.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JingizuJingizu Registered User new member
    The Banner script is the Voice of the Eyrewood itself, it's not coming from Treant-lion at all. Hence it calling her Daughter. Daughters of the Eyrewood don't turn into Fauna(as far as we have been shown,) and I think that's just wishful thinking on behalf of the fan-base. Mike said the Tree-Lion is his version of a Treant.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    You guys just plain nailed this, all the way through. A perfect last panel that evokes one hell of a mental soundtrack to accompany it.

This isn't the best thing to come out of Penny Arcade. Those honors go to Child's Play and PAX, in that order.

But this might be #3.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    Sirs, I'd like some more. Please sirs may I have some more?

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I kinda think the forest called Hanna to the forest.

Yeah, Hanna is the tithe. I think either every X days or every X female births, the forest takes another Daughter.

• Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular

That was my reading as well. The treelion is roaring, but the words in scrolls were also in the first page. They are the words of the forest, which is sentient.

Love where this ended, love the art, and can't wait to see more.

• Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    You guys just plain nailed this, all the way through. A perfect last panel that evokes one hell of a mental soundtrack to accompany it.

This isn't the best thing to come out of Penny Arcade. Those honors go to Child's Play and PAX, in that order.

But this might be #3.

And that mental soundtrack is "The Touch" by Stan Bush

• Options
    DarkeSwordDarkeSword Registered User regular

Point of order: according to the Lookouts comic published by Cryptozoic, the older "daughters" aren't called "Crones" but "Hags." And the Hag of the Eyrewood we saw wasn't any less "human" looking than the Mother of the Eyrewood we saw earlier. So no, the beast is probably just a beast.

Also it's not the beast proclaiming its daughter, it's the Eyrewood.

• Options
    UniqueCrash5UniqueCrash5 Registered User new member
    Gabe, I registered and created an account solely to tell you that this is absolutely incredible. I am blown away by this page and how it wraps up the arc. Beautiful work, good sir.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I'm just not sure my wall is large enough to hold the framed prints I already have of the owl-lion poem and comic series AND Tithe. That's like, 18 framed pictures. This art is so good, I'm going to need a bigger house to display it all.

• Options
    MalenxMalenx Registered User new member
    Great great great series. I love the powerful ending.

• Options
    I can't tell if Hanna looks resolute and confident, or unsure and concerned about her power.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Also, I would spend infinity dollars on large framable prints of Hanna meeting wood nymph lady and Awakened Hanna and Tree Beast from this page.

• Options
    AugusteAuguste Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I can't tell if Hanna looks resolute and confident, or unsure and concerned about her power.

My guess/vote: The answer to that is "Yes."

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I think it's her pupils. They're bothering me a bit and are the only reason I would choose a different frame from the series if I were to get just one print from it.

Basically, one is looking mostly to the side and the other is looking mostly upward. I can almost imagine a specific thing she might be looking at to get her pupils into an arrangement close to that, but I also can't shake from my mind how they look like "crazy eyes."

A very minor nitpick in what is otherwise an absolutely fantastic frame.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I kinda wish those were all posters.
    Got a lot of empty wall to fill.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    I kinda wish those were all posters.
    Got a lot of empty wall to fill.

They're still huge prints (12 in x 18 in) Done in two rows that's 5 ft x 3 ft and can be larger if you frame them or add some spacing between the prints. Framed and spaced you should easily be able to cover a 6 ft x 4 ft area with the series.

• Options
    Adam CasalinoAdam Casalino New York (in my heart)Registered User regular
    Wow I was not expecting that sort of ending. Nor was I expecting that would happen to the creature.

So this ending, like many of the guys' drama comics, is more of a beginning. Here's to hoping that they explore Hanna's story some more.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy fuck. Hanna is going to FUCK SOME SHIT UP.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch