As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Forgeworld please take all of our monies.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Vanguard wrote: »
    The question is whether GW really believes that that don't have any competition. If they believe that then I think it's pretty obvious that that is their biggest problem.

It would explain a lot of otherwise odd decisions.

I just think they don't know what they're doing. When something is good, they have no idea why. When something is bad, they have no idea why. More importantly, they seem to lack the capacity to understand if something is good or bad.

Indeed. Most egregiously, psychic powers; it seems like they sometimes price them, particularly witchfire powers, like they were regular guns instead of ones that have a half chance of plain not working, and equal chances of being stopped or blowing up in your face, before you even get to rolling to hit etc.

Comparing the Maleceptor and Toxicrene is a good example of this; the Toxicrene has a gun that fires sentient poison gas, with a neat little special rule that gives it armourbane vs open topped and damaged vehicles. It also has a special rule that makes all of its poisoned attacks inflict instant death on a to-wound of a six. It costs 160pts.
    The Maleceptor loses that awesome gun, plus all it's other poison stuff, to gain a WC2 power that it can use three times. Except it's not one WC2 roll to use it on up to three targets; RAW it takes six warp charges to fire three times. Worse, it's a Focussed Witchfire so you're actually aiming to get three 4+ rolls per shot, so that's nine dice to use its bonus feature to full effect. And it still has to roll to hit with BS3 after all that. How any points cheaper is it for this crippling disadvantage, you ask? 45. Well that's a rel… Wait it's 45 points more?!

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, ahem, lets all stop complaining about new Tyranid releases for a minute because:

2n8sopz.jpg

Mycetic Spores are back, with a vengeance.
    More expensive but they don't take up a FoC slot, can be dropped empty, can carry any unit which will fit in them, more guns, same protection from deepstrike mishap and better stats. Plus they can move around and stuff as an added bonus.

The kit also allegedly makes two more models; some sort of shooting platform and maybe a giant spore mine or something? IDK, there are no scans of those.

But regardless, this pretty much fixes a whole host of issues with the nid book; namely having to walk up the board under withering fire. You can drop OS Tervigons onto objectives, or double-template Tfexes onto entrenched troops, a whole host of options become actually useable.

Oh, and as an added feature you could technically deploy a Tyrannocyte inside another Tyrannocyte (ad infinitum) and have some sort of deep-striking auto-wall which fills the board with dumb looking pods.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2014
    oh my fuck

Vanguard on
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    That kind of makes me want to PM @TraceofToxin‌ about that Carnifex he has on his sell list.

Nealneal on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Okay, that actually makes me a bit interested in getting back into 40k. I thought the removal of the mycetic spores was the dumbest thing ever in the new codex.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Spore pods are back...in pog form!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    Would a Tervigon be able to poop out Termigants after deploying by Tyrannocyte?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yes, you deploy the Tervigon once the cyte had deep struck, and then the Tervigon can spawn Termagants during its movement phase.

The other potential builds in the kit are a Sporocyst and a Mucolid Spore.
    The components are such that it looks like you can build either 1 Tyrannocyte or 1 Sporocyst + 1 Mucolid.

The Sporocyst is an immobile, spore mine generating weapons platform, with the same gun options as the Tyrannocyte, plus it boosts the synapse range of nearby synapse creatures. It looks like they can fire each gun at a seperate target, but can't overwatch, or something.

The Mucolid Spore is a giant spore mine, but it explodes at S8 AP3 (sans blast I think), still with +1S for each Mucolid in the brood. And they can assault zooming/swooping Fliers/FMCs.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Here's the other two - one's an immobile creature that spawns spore mines (plus once a game it can shoot a giant spore). The other are just giant spore mines, S8 AP3 as a base with other mines upping the strength like regular spores and can assault flyers.

Both the drop spore and the artillery platform also have 5 guns - devourers, upgradable to venom cannon or barbed stranglers. They shoot the close target within their fire arc but can target different units.
    Sporocyst.jpg
    Mucolid.jpg

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Nealneal wrote: »
    That kind of makes me want to PM @TraceofToxin‌ about that Carnifex he has on his sell list.

You're in luck because the buyer I had lined up just backed out. Now's your chance, buy buy buy.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    First thought on seeing the Mucolid spore cluster:

"Sweet! Easy plastic Enslaver conversion!"

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Gotta say, the design of those models is pretty fantastic. GW's sculpts really are getting pretty good.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    If only they got their rules in check and fixed their batshit insane pricing over here I'd look into picking my Tyranids up again, because those are fantastic.

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So let me tell you that I have some Tyranids to sell.
    Hormagaunts
    Termagants
    Genestealers
    Warriors
    Hive Guards
    Carnifex

Anyone interested?
    (Location: Europa).

Mayday on
  • Options
    Posting in both threads...

Would anyone be interested in doing another charity army for Child's Play? Haven't got anything specific in mind, just putting out feelers. If there's enough interest I'd be willing to run it again (maybe knowing it's for charity will encourage people to not make me hate them so much).

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    You know I'll throw down for charity if you'll have me.

• Options
    I can probably motivate myself to paint another model for you.
    Although again I'm still in the UK, so if long-distance postage is going to throw a spanner in the works I'm fine if you decide to leave me out.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Do Warlords have to be on the table to use their Warlord trait?

I'm playing around with Dark Eldar lists and since our group picks a trait to use on our Warlords instead of rolling I'm eyeing the various reserve manipulation traits. Plans would change if I can't reserve my Warlord to take advantage of his bonus.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Yes.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Sharp101 wrote: »

Yes.

Do you know what page it says that? I read through the warlord section and didn't see anything. The closest thing I could find is a requirement for the Warlord to be alive (of course) but I didn't look elsewhere in the rulebook yet.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Oh man. Deep striking Tyranids and moving closer to my local gaming store means its a good time to get back to playing. A shame that the GW site mentions you need to buy the white dwarf for the new model rules though, really hope they have the sense to also include them in the box.

Only slightly 40k related, but has anyone ever bought from that Geek Chic furniture place? I have a hunch they wont ship to Canada, but there is some nice shit there that I might finally have some room for.

• Options
    The rules for the Toxicrene/Malceptor are not in the box, I'd imagine the spore pod kit will be the same.
    A strange choice given that the rules for the various new fantasy kits are in their boxes. If I had to guess I'd say that there's going to be some sort of upcoming suplement/campaign book or something with all these new rules in there.

And speaking of new rules the rumours are still rumbling that the Nid release is not over yet; with a plastic Zoanthrope/Venomthrope kit upcoming, which apparently also contains components for a 'Neurothrope', allegedly some sort of Broodlord style unit upgrade for Zoanthrope with Doom of Malantai-style powers.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Neurothrope:

image_zps0cf86e7b.jpg

Interesting the rules aren't in the box, but the new stuff is in the new campaign "Sheild of Baal: Leviathon" - apparently the wierd page references in the white dwarf are due to the fact they've not updated the rules references from the campaign book. Book is like Storm claw but also sounds a bit like a supplement at the same time, it's got the new unit rules, some new Tyranid formations and an updated warlord table for Leviathon fleets - plus updated City of Death rules and some altar of war missions.

Looks like the Zoanthropes and Venomthropes don't share a lot of bits. Looks a bit like they might even have different tails.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Here are the Venomthropes:

9Mm4eWr.jpg

Kinda cool, although they're a little too bulky for my liking, but hey, less likely to snap into a million tiny pieces.

The Neurothrope apparently has a unique power 'Spirit Leech' 18", WC1, target enemy unit must take a Ld check on 3D6 and suffers wounds for each point the test was failed by (ignoring armour and cover). Each wound caused also adds 1 dice to your pool for Warp Blasts, whatever that means.

Which sounds pretty decent to me, a less stupid Doom plus a buff to Zoanthropes, even if it does make the Malceptor even more useless in comparison.

• Options
    Wonder if the Neurothrope is mastery level 3, having spirit leach, warp blast and whatever other spell the rest of his brood has. Seems like it might get a little complicated if he's a wizard in a unit of wizards, but not part of their brotherhood - unless his wounds just go into a general purpose 'warp blast pool' that can be used by multiple units.

• Options
    FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    Based on the rules phrasing it seems like you'll Spirit Leech first and then use the dedicated warp charges to power shooting from the rest of the unit of Zoanthropes

Your sig was too tall.
  • Options
    Seems that way, some people are wondering if it'll add to the number of shots the broods Warp Blast gets, but I think it's more likely just to grant like, extra warp dice which can only be used to manifest Warp Blast/lance.

I do wonder if the Neurothrope itself will still keep Warp Blast though, it may have Spirit Leech instead possibly?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yet again, if those rules and prices were fixed I'd be buying this new Tyranid shit in a heartbeat. So good.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Ok, that's pretty nice

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    So I'm going to do nids. Partly because of new models and partly because I'm starting to feel like an asshole every time I put my IG army on the table.

I'm going to buy this. Really the only question I have is how many Termigants am I likely to want to have on hand for the Tervigon to shit out?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So I'm going to do nids. Partly because of new models and partly because I'm starting to feel like an asshole every time I put my IG army on the table.

I'm going to buy this. Really the only question I have is how many Termigants am I likely to want to have on hand for the Tervigon to shit out?

Last game I played, I got 27. I would say ~20 is a good amount.

• Options
    Yeah, around 20 seems a reasonable number, although some games you won't necessarily want to be spawning every turn, and of course you will occasionally get the first turn triple-1 roll.

• Options
    You want 30 on the table to make him a troop, and then about 30 extra, minimum.

Source - Close to 100 games with 2x Tervigons.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So there's a special edition HH book IV.
    …which I may or may not have just bought… along with a bunch of Thallax and a Castellax to round it out to the free shipping band…
    Not sure if :bigfrown: or :D

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Chance of not getting doubles on three dice is (6*5*4)/(6*6*6)= 55% more or less.
    Average number of termagants per spawn is 3*3.5 = 10.5

So basically each tervigon is going to spawn once or twice a game, averaging around 16.25 a game in total.
    Set of twenty is a fairly good amount for spare termagants, as is the 50 models per Tervigon guideline when you're taking into account the troop unlock as well.

• Options
    Going by statistical average is a good way to end up rolling a 4-5-6 on your third spawn and not having any gaunts to put on the table.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    That's what count's as models are for. Rules say if you can't place the models or run out of termagant models the excess is discarded - if you've still got some count's as termagant models, then you've still got termagant models because those models count as termagants.
    I've generally found that I don't want to spawn on turn one anyway, so there's a few casualties to pad out the spares when it comes to the turn two/three spawns, but if you're allowed to put devourer gaunts down RAW then I see no reason to not use a couple of obvious bullet catchers in the odd occasion when you're missing a few proper models.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I played a game with my Nids yesterday. Glorious Victory for the Hive Mind, many Space Sharks had their biomass absorbed. MVP goes to Meltface the Exocrine who killed 7 Marines in cover with one shot. Living Artillery Node is still amazing for that scatter reroll, turned a 6" scatter into a direct hit. I'm really looking forward to the Leviathan book.

I've had Tervigons keep Spawning until turn 7. Bring ALL the spare gaunts you have. ALL OF THEM

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    SkuntySkunty Registered User regular
    Contemplated starting a new army this week, was thinking nids, went to the website on night of the new book pre-order. Sold out. No nids for me.

This discussion has been closed.