As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40k] Forgeworld please take all of our monies.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    alpha legion are so cool

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Is that a metallic paint? Looks awesome.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Well, after years of being on the fence, I did it. I bought mans. Also a Land Raider.

I am currently experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse because holy shit I am bad at painting, I'm pretty sure i also bought paints that aren't the best for the paint scheme I wanted (I am partly to blame, but also I'm cranky with the owner of the shop who sold the set to me without really trying to explain to a newbie what the paint range is & what to buy / not buy) and my Grey Knight Terminators are going to look mediocre at best as a result.

But oh well.

...The 7th Edition Force Org chart is confusing me. It seems to suggest that you can just freely mix any imperial army units together in a singe detachment (they are all the same faction?)... but surely that's not right? Everything in a given detachment has to be from a single Codex, right?

I want to put together (eventually) 1,000 points worth of SoB & Grey Knights, but that's going to have to be 1 Combined Arms alongside 1 Allied detachment, correct?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    If you go battleforged, each detachment can only contain units from one codex (technically, a faction). All Imperial armies are not the same faction. If you look under the allies section, you'll se listed all the factions that make up "Armies of the Imperium". SoB and GK are both armies of the Imperium, but different factions.

Of course you can go unbound instead, and take whatever you want.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Good news! Grey Knights are really simple to paint. If you need any advice head to the painting thread and someone will sort you out.

In other news, official Blood Angel/Necron team up photos in the new campaign books. That sound you hear is thousands of nerds pooping themselves in frustration.

• Options
    LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    You can take as many detachments as you want though. So you don't have to use an allied detachment (but it's a good way to do it), you could just use two normal ones (but that would mean 4 troops and 2 HQ, which may not be terribly appealing at 1k).

But yeah, the Imperial forces are all battle brothers, but seperate factions.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Cross posting from the painting thread.
    Nocren wrote: »
    Can't believe I'm almost done painting a full company of Space Marines plus auxiliaries...

Granted, not every squad has a dedicated transport, but I'll have 100 Marines, plus Captain+Command Squad, Chaplin (with and without jump pack), Librarian (in and out of Terminator armor), 10 Terminators, 5 Assault Termies, 5 Vanguard, 7 Scouts, 2 Dreads, 1 drop pod (with another still in the box), 3 Predators, 1 Razorback (command transport), 2 Rhinos (with another still in the box) and a Land Raider Crusader.

Expect photos by the end of the year.

Fuck... only took me 15 years.

Granted it's probably no where near as great as it used to be since it's got no flying or anti-air troops and I started back in 1999 with 3rd ed.

But yeah, I think I'm finally done buying Marines. MAYBE 2 more Pods and 5 more Rhinos/Razorbacks but that's it.

Now I just need to find an Apoc game to have an excuse to field the whole damn thing.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    How insane would I be to try painting a marine army in a halved scheme?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    How insane would I be to try painting a marine army in a halved scheme?

In your case not very: purple/slightly darker purple shouldn't be too bad.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    A friend of mine did black red ba like that, he hated doing it but loved the results. Looked great, but took 2-3 times as long per model.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Depends if you mean horizontally or vertically halved, really. And if you're trying to do it by hand or not. It's a continuum of insanity from horizontal with an airbrush to vertical by hand.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I have no airbrush.
    So basically I have about 3k of painted iron hands in the uk, but a decent force of unpainted marines here. I was originally going to do them up as more IH but i'm thinking I'll do a home brew chapter. more creative freedom and all that.

Anyway, I think I want to go with silver and blue. Silver because i can spray that down as a base coat (like i did with my necrons) and then just detail them up over the top. Speed is king.

The schemes I've been looking at so far include the Astral Claws (a bit too much silver, and i hate gold), the non-official Star Phantoms from BoLS (years ago from before they had an official scheme), or the Marines Errant.
    ME have a sweet scheme, especially if I swap the white for darker silver. I don't have an airbrush though, so i thought about just doing one arm, one leg and the helmet blue and having everything else silver.

Then I realised that's the same thing I7m doing for my dark eldar but with grey and purple.

HMMMM

• Options
    Coming from a guy that does Skull White marines with Enchanted Blue leggings (not the entire leg mind you, just the "boots" and knees), and went with white because I thought I could just spray a basecoat and call it good before adding details but I still have to go back and paint everything white just so it looks smoother and more solid with less cracking and what not.

It might work better for you though using a metallic paint.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Ok, so I'm going to take some shots of my squads tomorrow with my digital camera. It's been awhile since I used it, but anyone know what setting I wanted to put it in so I got the details up close?

Was it Macro? Super-Macro? What about flash settings?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    So much macro. No flash and some filtered natural light is good.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    The only difference between macro and super-macro typically is the focal length. You likely want the least super macro that still puts the model in focus while filling the frame (unless you're trying to be artsy).

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Pictures taken, will post later tonight.

Apparently a former GW employee gives impromptu painting classes every Tuesday and Wednesday. He liked my guys (crap as they, but you can see the progress from squad 1 to squad 10).

Edit: oh, apparently my company standard bearer can't use a flamer anymore, so what should I swap it out with? Was thinking of going kinda silly and turn the standard into a power weapon/lance and give him a storm shield as well.

And can the Apothecary take a power weapon?

Edit 2: guess I should have checked the Eratta, and I can take a flamer. Though I do like the halberd/shield idea...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ok, pictures!

I'll just post the overview shots with some choice close ups. I'm not sure how photobucket will adjust the size of them, so I'll throw them into a spoiler.

Overview of everything.

PC160070.jpg
    PC160071.jpg

Vanguard with Jetpack Chaplin
    PC160069.jpg

Captain, Chaplin, Librarian, Command Squad, Dreads
    PC160066.jpg

Not going to post pictures of the 12 squads (6 tactical, 2 assault, 2 devastator, 1 scout, 1 assault termie) unless you guys want to see them.

EDIT: I could also do a chapter write-up if anyone wants to know further details of things.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    LubonyLubony Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    1500 points of necrons vs Space wolves last night, close game till turn 4 when the wolves secrued like 8 points in 1 turn. PLaying the secret objectives Maelstrom mission,
    aCRvORt.jpg
    tx218X2.jpg
    nylgV2n.jpg
    cpaRD6o.jpg
    4cv9fIH.jpg

Was great to see JoTWW eat a Warlord.

Lubony on
    No rules or morals except those you choose to accept and live by.
  • Options
    What's good for Tau Shai'O commander gear?

Was thinking drone controller and either another weapon or advanced targeting system.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Depends what you want him to be doing.
    Iridium Battlesuit is a good general buy, as is the Puretide Engram Chip.

In other news, what's the FW eldar phoenix bomber do? Someone give me a rough overview

• Options
    Doesn't drop bombs, for a start.
    Basically it's got a couple of starcannon and a couple of shuriken cannon and that's it for guns.
    It's also impossible to hit, between Jink and Shrouded, plus it's one of the very, very few aircraft with Vector Dancer, so it's not nearly as hard to line up shots with.

• Options
    Well, that's just it, I can take 4 ranged weapons/support items AND a signature gear (or two).

The drone controller and targeting system count as support items, and the Iridium suit and Puretide chip count as sig gear.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    No bombs? Seems to fit the voidraven/nightwing style i guess.
    Seems like it would be decent at dispatching flying monsterous creatures though.

For Tau, personally I run mine with 2 missile pods, PEN chip, Iridium armour and the thing that lets him shoot at a difgerent target to his unit. He then hangs out with a team of missile pod dudes. My reasoning is the range of the missiles makes it easier to keep him out of trouble, the decent STR and rate of fire lets them shoot at whatever. It's very flexible so he can use whatever warlord trait and his PEN to do lots of stuff.

The most popular build is the buff commander who has all the buff upgrades plus a drone controller w/marker drones and no guns (heresy!).
    I'd also like to try out a guy w/double burst cannons, drone controller and a ton of drones for lots of high BS dakka.

What's in the rest of your list? Crisis suits are pretty good at filling whatever gaps the rest of your army has

• Options
    Also i'm like 90% sure that even though you can buy 4 weapons you can only shoot 2 per turn

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I also quite like Enforcer armour, twin meltas and the Advanced Targetting System - with the new detachments letting you reroll your warlord traits, you've got a 55% chance of getting a commander with two meltas you either can deepstrike without scatter (useful with two meltas), or has a 55% chance of getting a precision strike with no Look Out Sir! roll allowed (also useful with a S8 AP1 gun).

If you're not up against marines, then the same kit with missile pods probably works out even better.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Right now my Tau are 1 hq (trying to find 2 single Crisis suits to purchase a guards), 1 3-man Crisis team, 2 10-man Fire squads, 12-Kroot, 1 stealth team and 1 devilfish.

And a shitload of drones, but that kinda goes without saying.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Also; if you're going to magnetize anything at all in your wargaming career, make it crisis suit weapons. That said, i vote for missiles. Good all round especially at lower points.
    Broadsides are a great addition if you're pondering what to pick up next (broadsides are never a bad choice)

• Options
    Yeah, I'm magnetizing everything in a suit. Though obviously my later work is better than my initial attempts since I was using better/smaller drills and magnets.

Though I screwed up on the stealth suits and put the magnets on the side of the arm instead of on the bottom.

Here's my current Shas'O, but I might get the actual commander finecast model and downgrade this guy to bodyguard. However I like the detail I put into him.
    IMG_1223.jpg

And here's my stealth suit Shas'vre
    IMG_1222.jpg

And here's the final set of kroot so I now have enough to field the minimum of 10.
    IMG_1224.jpg

My color scheme is the following:
    Tau Bodysuits/kroot body wraps): Altdorf Guard Blue
    Tau primary armor: Fang/Fenrisian blend
    Tau secondary armor: Dawnstone
    Sept/tribal marking: Moot green
    Kroot body/Tau gun receivers: Mechanicus Standard
    Gun barrels: Administratum

I decided for the leaders to swap the primary/secondary armor colors to make them visually distinct and blended some black into the Altdorf to darken the color for the stealth suit undercarriage.

After doing a lot of large sections of samey marines, I really like being able to paint some visually distinct models.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, hey, Forge World actually reduced a price! Sort of, anyway.
    Mechanicum Tech-Thralls are now £35 for ten vs £26 for five, so someone might actually buy some now…

• Options
    I mentioned this on the Christmas forum but it might get more traction here...

How valid is the advice on 1d4chan's wiki for Tau? A lot of it seems like some good ideas...

Also, I'm tempted to take the Failsafe Detonator with a crapload of drones and just call my guy Commander Tripwire.

I purchased the finecast commander battlesuit as a gift to myself and assembled it last night. Pics will be posted later.

Also getting a lot of positive compliments about my tau's colors/look which is nice.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Your kroot look like they're about to go to a rave, which is pretty cool
    There's not a huge amount you can do wrong with Tau.
    Don't take vespid. Practice your target priority. pew pew pew.

• Options
    So I decided to buy the tau battlesuit finecast commander. Bought and assembled/painted in one night.

Finecast is a bitch to work with (waaaay too much flash to trim away, sometimes can't tell if a piece is flash or a nub that's suppose to be there), but damn if it doesn't look good.

Pics taken with/without camera flash.
    PC280072.jpg
    PC280073.jpg

I initially want the commander to be leaning/falling backwards as he was firing but the arms and legs were really designed for that. So I made due. You can also see the head/base I plan on using for the other bodyguard.
    I really need to learn how to wash to correct any paint that seeps in between the armor plates.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Hello all. I'll be moving out of Washington State soon and I'm pretty sure the Warmachine crowd is thin as balls in Colorado which makes me interested in 40k. I have a teeny-tiny Eldar force but, for some reason, am drawn towards the Black Templars. I know Blood Angels were just released but have there been any rumors about Black Templars getting their own book? If not is there a supplemental? As in do they have their own army rules or do I just use any old SM models and paint them in the BT colors?

Accualt on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    BT are in the main Space Marines codex now. They have special rules (Chapter Tactics) and are the only chapter that can use Crusader Squads.

EDIT: @TraceofToxin‌ digs some BT so he can probably add more.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Black templars are where its at, yo. Pm me or ask questions here and I'll share the wealth.

Kill the mutant, burn the heretic and purge the unclean.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ya'll khornish, ya'll just don't know it yet.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »

Oh, I know. There's a reason I run my bt as csm

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Accualt wrote: »
    Hello all. I'll be moving out of Washington State soon and I'm pretty sure the Warmachine crowd is thin as balls in Colorado which makes me interested in 40k. I have a teeny-tiny Eldar force but, for some reason, am drawn towards the Black Templars. I know Blood Angels were just released but have there been any rumors about Black Templars getting their own book? If not is there a supplemental? As in do they have their own army rules or do I just use any old SM models and paint them in the BT colors?

When I left CO a couple years ago, the Warmachine crowd in the Denver and Bouder metro areas was actually thriving with some quite good players, so fear not about that!

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »

Thats what Tzeentch wants you to think.

This discussion has been closed.