As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champs: Battlegrounds - real-time squad tactics, LoL-style pricing [iOS/Android]

TubeTube Registered User admin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYga0fQfp9A

Hey! I'm Stephen Reid, I'm from Quark Games and we make Champs: Battlegrounds, which is a free-to-play, online real-time squad strategy game for iOS and Android devices.

Think of your favorite Tactics game, played on your mobile or tablet device, with 3D graphics and PvP and an ever-expanding roster of new Champs to play with. And ALL FREE!

27E4Btb.jpg

WAIT DON'T RUN OFF! :) We made this game for you. Yep, specifically for you - those of you who don't think good games are possible on mobile or tablet, who've been burned by crappy freemium experiences or who have despaired to look at the App Store and just see a million ripoffs, knockoffs and match-three-offs.

(Also those of you who are open-minded and just like, you know, games.)

We're gamers and we made Champs: Battlegrounds for gamers. We think you'll like it. Here's what it's about.

FREE TO PLAY - BUT WITH NO BS

You can play the entire game for free. There are no pay walls, no timeouts, no sneaky underhanded stealing of your money. Here's how it works: as you play the game, whether you win, lose or draw matches you'll earn Battle Points (BP). You can use those BP to buy yourself new Champs (our units).

If you don't want to spend time playing matches (although we encourage it, as you'll learn a lot and get better at the game!) then you can give us some money, pick up some Quark Points (QP) and use those to purchase Champs.

Rolling in BP from all those PvP victories? Put them to good use - as well as being able to pick up new Champs, you can also upgrade your Tier 1 Champs to Tier 2, and only pay the upgrade cost - the difference between the two costs. Bonus!

So far, the model seems to be working out pretty well for us. Many of our top players haven't spent a dime! Even though we ask them nicely. But truly, we're free to play, and not in the crappy way.

mwilwv8.jpg

REAL-TIME COMBAT

We love tactics games, but we wanted to do something different. We didn't want you to have to wait around hours, days, weeks or even just minutes to take your turn in a match - so instead we made Champs run in real-time. Every match runs usually between 5 and 10 minutes, but there's no waiting around for moves. Every Champ has an energy bar that is constantly regenerating, and you move and attack using energy. If you've got the energy to do something, go right ahead and do it.

Being real-time means Champs feels a lot different than traditional tactics games. Matches are more intense, decisions are made in a split-second, and we really reward player skill. You will need to think and learn and act quick to succeed.

JJn8IoW.jpg

SQUAD STRATEGY

Choosing your squad in Champs: Battlegrounds is critical to winning. Endless strategies can be created using the combination of Champs already available - 25 so far - with more Champs being added every week.

You'll start the game with six free Champs, and as you can earn more by playing, you'll quickly be making decisions on which Champ you want to pick up, and what strategy you want to pursue. Need help? We have a wiki for that, along with forums where you can talk with other players and swap strategy tips.

nWOsD8z.jpg

PvP AND PVE/CAMPAIGN MODES

If you want to learn Champs and get yourself some BP/QP to buy new Champs with, then you can play through the 30-level campaign against a number of increasingly difficult AI opponents.

Once you're done, you'll be more than ready for the challenge of PvP. Our matchmaking systems ensure you'll be matched up with other players who are of equal skill and power, and whether you win, lose or draw you'll be gaining BP to get new Champs.

7sUNwbD.jpg

EASY TO LEARN, HARD TO MASTER

Above all else, the designers of Champs wanted to make a game for gamers, not a casual, dumbed-down game that you can play without thinking about. While it's easy to pick up the fundamentals - if you've played any real-time strategy or tactics game, you'll be able to figure it out fast - Champs is definitely designed to be a game that's hard to master.

Interested? Think it might be something you'd like to play (hey, it's free?). Well, read on my friend.

READ THIS FIRST BEFORE YOU INSTALL

Quark Games is a small company (30-something people) and we're launching slowly. That means Champs is initially only available in the US and Canada, with more territories planned for the future.

In addition, as the game uses Unity and is pretty demanding processor wise, Champs will not run on some iOS devices - specifically iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 1st Gen, and iPod Touch 4th Gen. (Unfortunately, due to a bug that Apple refuses to fix, the 'compatibility' section of the App Store says the game will work on those devices. It won't. Save yourself the download, be a smart PA reader. Having said this - if you actually buy a tablet or phone to specifically run Champs, let us know in our forum and we'll get you free stuff. We're nice like that.)

READY? PLAY!
dHJezAn.png F7SUFi4.png

BONUS! IF YOU READ THIS FAR...

If you got all the way down here and downloaded the game, I've got a bonus for you!

Reply to this thread with your in-game Champs handle, and the first 10 posters will be granted 400 QP (Quark Points) to spend as you like. You'll get QP for completing the in-game tutorial too, so this will just add to your potential purchasing power! Remember to include your in-game name or I can't get you the QP granted. We hope you enjoy Champs: Battlegrounds and we'll see you in-game!

Of course, if you have any questions at all, just ask!

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Hey, I'm giving this a shot! My in-game name is Cablecarrier.

• Options
    RockjawRockjaw Community guy San Mateo, CARegistered User regular
    Hey everyone! Sorry I'm late in posting. Thank you to Tube for putting this up! If anyone has any questions about Champs: Battlegrounds then feel free to ask. :)

• Options
    Hey, I'm giving this a shot! My in-game name is Cablecarrier.
    Your QP has been awarded! Just login and spend it however you like. :)

• Options
    bacon630bacon630 Registered User new member
    Love this game! It's the only thing I play on mobile now.
    In game name Bacon

• Options
    dres_xdres_x Registered User new member
    This is currently my favorite game! Great job and looking forward to all the improvements you guys will make along with the new units almost every week! This is actually one of the cool things about it!
    My in game name is sn0w00

• Options
    Hey Penny Arcade! We added a new Champ to the game today, the lethal Sunsear, a magic user who... sears... with the sun. See what we did there??

8V3s1DT.jpg

The Sunsear is available in-game now. :)

• Options
    If you're new to Champs, you might be interested in this ten-minute strategy guide video we published yesterday. It features Nick (AKA Rysorial) talking through beginning strategies for Champs, using only the free Champs you get as part of the in-game tutorial. Learn how to earn BP!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW_fd_BLizg

• Options
    ZonaZooZonaZoo Registered User new member
    Hey Rockjaw. Love the game! 400 QP would be much appreciated. In-game name is ZonaZoo. Thanks!

• Options
    edited October 2013
    ZonaZoo wrote: »
    Hey Rockjaw. Love the game! 400 QP would be much appreciated. In-game name is ZonaZoo. Thanks!
    Thank you and done.

If you missed our announcement of Game Update 1.3's big features, it's on YouTube now:

http://youtu.be/fuIa4rWrtv8

Short version - we're adding progression for Champs, special items called 'Relics' and full tournament support including visible player ELO and rankings. :)

Game Update 1.3 should be submitted to Apple/Google this week and hopefully out next week!

Rockjaw on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Seems cool, I'll try it out w/ your bonus sir. IGN is Varega

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    Varega wrote: »
    Seems cool, I'll try it out w/ your bonus sir. IGN is Varega
    Varega, we've added 400 QP to your account. Thanks for trying Champs!

We just added another Champ to the game and our big, BIG 1.3 update is days away. Here's the Gunner!

wcsTSks.jpg

• Options
    kraz007kraz007 Registered User regular
    Wazzup, Teemo!

Riftforge: a free online RPG with fantasy tactics!

468.png

Blogs: Endless Space - galaxy seeds | Diablo 3 duels
  • Options
    nimbynimby Registered User new member
    edited November 2013
    love the game so far, can't wait for bard to come out. my ingame name is nimby335101

nimby on
  • Options
    skozaxskozax Registered User new member
    Really nice game! Love it!!

IGN: Kozax

• Options
    JamesFalcon2JamesFalcon2 Registered User new member
    Ok, Send me my 400 QP
    I have a question, at what point can I upgrade my Knight?
    Or do I just get stuck with him and have to buy the characters above that level?
    Is there a chart showing the UPGRADE of each charater?
    If I buy say Sorceress will I at some point be able to Upgrade her to a Radiant?

• Options
    EpistemoEpistemo Registered User new member
    Epistemo

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    My IGN is Requine if the points offer is still available!

• Options
    BatuteyBatutey Registered User new member
    Hello, my game name is Batutey. Hope I made it in the ten. Nonetheless, amazing game! Thumbs up. Thanks :)