As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Future Has Arrived: Wireless Power, Now Where's My Hovercar?

2»

• Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't think we are as apt to be left behind like the last generation, because as far as I can see (which may not be very far, who knows) every new advancement will just be built on top of what we have now. Computers may be vastly different in 50 years, but they will get there in incremental steps that we will follow relgiously if we are tech nerds. Also, I know a few people in thier 50's and even 70's that love computers and probably know more about them then I do. I pity all the elderly people out there that are retired and fear the internet or computers. They could be endlessly entertained if they would only put thier fingers to a keyboard. My grandpa in particular. He is a big UFO buff, haha.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    Those wooden trains were fully 3D.

No light bloom though. Totally last gen.

There was tons of light bloom. He was wearing dirty glasses. :P

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Or that my kids will laugh when I tell them I used to play with a Mega Drive when I was a kid, the same way I laugh at how my Dad played with wooden trains and how his Dad played with a stick and a bug.

Hey man, don't underestimate the entertainment value of the Stick + Bug. It's a timeless combination.

As someone mentioned before, this would work fairly well as a magic battery -charging bucket. Everything else will have to wait for the technology to mature.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    BigSpaceMonkeyBigSpaceMonkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    As others have said this concept is nothing particularly new. Toll tags use this. Passive RFID tags use this. It's for very low power devices. I for one don't particularly like the idea of high power being transmitted continuously through the air. And for short distances like 3 ft. can they even direct the energy instead of having it go everywhere?

Hmmm...I guess it was approved by the FCC, but still. There's a reason why people don't walk in front of high power transmitting antennas.

I can't find the efficiency of this anywhere. All I know is most power amps have a maximum efficiency of 50% to 75%.

BigSpaceMonkey on
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The real question is can we make this super sized and transmit energy into space and run some sort of uber moon base muhahahahahahahaha.

Answer: not even close.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    The future has arrived, like 100 years ago when Tesla discovered this form of energy transfer.

Or at least someone similar to him, around that era.

This is hardly new nor high technology. Its also pretty fucking inefficient iirc.
    The problem was that it was incredibly dangerous. This purports to not be.
    Was this the experiment that he was afraid that it could reverse the magnet field of the world or crack the earths core or something?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hate talking about what will happen in the future because no matter what I say some historian will probably dig up my post a hundred years later and call me an idiot.

Zek on
  • Options
    archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For anyone thinking this is dangerous, consider the fact that a vacuum-tube-based guitar amp can pick up radio waves and play them without being plugged in. Radio waves, much like all electromagnetic waves, transmit packets of energy through space (olol photon cannonz?). This is basically just a different frequency of radio waves with an antenna designed to capture the photons and siphon them to the battery, rather than send them to a speaker box.

Edit: This also isn't anything April Fools; I read about this at least three weeks ago from a fark/slashdot link.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • Options
    gumby4482gumby4482 Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    Look up Nikola Tesla, in the ealry 1900's/maybe late 1800's he created a system that would run light bulbs (granted still not a strong current) at over 25 miles. He began working on a tower in New York to transmit power and (I can't completely verify this) but I've read that his financier scrapped the project saying "where do you put the meter?"

gumby4482 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    gumby4482 wrote: »
    Look up Nikola Tesla, in the ealry 1900's/maybe late 1800's he created a system that would run light bulbs (granted still not a strong current) at over 25 miles. He began working on a tower in New York to transmit power and (I can't completely verify this) but I've read that his financier scrapped the project saying "where do you put the meter?"

Wasn't that in The Prestige? Except in the movie he had power running through the snow and frozen ground to illuminate a field of lightbulbs.

Hey, when you see a lightning bolt (the forked flash), is that the intense heat 'burning' the air? Sorry, but every science class in elementary school only explained how lightning happened, not why you can see lightning bolts.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    would be nice for wireless mice. no more recharging stands or replacing batteries (at least in the short term anyway)

but I gotta imagine that its horribly inefficient no? If its induction. you've got one coil acting as a transmitter, sending waves of magnetic energy out, if you've got another coil acting as a receiver, its not like you're beaming energy directly to it or anything. The receiving coil just happens to be within the magnetic field to induce a current.

I guess thats why they said its only for low voltage stuff. but wouldn't even that be enough to possibly hurt the data stored on any magnetic media like a hard drive?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »

Hey, when you see a lightning bolt (the forked flash), is that the intense heat 'burning' the air? Sorry, but every science class in elementary school only explained how lightning happened, not why you can see lightning bolts.

The electricity flowing through the air molecules forces the electrons orbiting the atoms into an excited state. When the electrons 'drop' back down, they release their energy in the form of all kinda of electro-magnetic radiation. You see the bolt, and the radio crackles, etc.

Mobile-D on
  • Options
    NinjacratNinjacrat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    gumby4482 wrote: »

And beause any time a person within the field touched a fire hydrant, or any other metal object attached to the earth, they got a shock. :p

Ninjacrat on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Now make me a better fucking battery.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Now make me a better fucking battery.

hydrogen fuel cells are the battery of the future.

Kriz on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How does this really work, do you need a compatible device on the other end?

When I first saw it I thought maybe the recipient device has something in it that is acted upon by the radio signal and begins to produce a very low current of power.

Or are they actually projecting electrons through mid air, which I doubt.

Because the first one doesn't sound that impressive.

The only way you can read their white papers is if you give them your e-mail address, ho ho ho. no thanks

Jasconius on
  • Options
    revolverevolve Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »

When I first saw it I thought maybe the recipient device has something in it that is acted upon by the radio signal and begins to produce a very low current of power.

The only way you can read their white papers is if you give them your e-mail address, ho ho ho. no thanks

Just make a quick hotmail account. One that you will never use, ever.

revolve on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jasconius wrote: »

Looks like it just uses RF to transmit power, so no, there are no more rogue electrons traveling through the air than in normal everyday life. And it requires special (but small) receivers. Same 900 MHz tech that's in all sorts of devices around your home.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    I hate talking about what will happen in the future because no matter what I say some historian will probably dig up my post a hundred years later and call me an idiot.

Will he demand that you eat your own cock?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Everyone will get cancer from this.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg