As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Has my personal info been stolen?

BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus PssssssssyyyyyyyyduckRegistered User regular
I'm getting emails like crazy from home mortgage/car loan places and just today I've started getting them from places that help people with addiction and whatnot. I've also been receiving phone calls from out of state areas bugging me about the same stuff. I've been keeping a close on my bank account (not like there'd be anything for them to steal) and it has been fine thus far.

It started about a week or so ago. I dismissed it at first since it seemed it was just harmless spam. I sleep during the day and now they're waking me up with their bullshit calls so shits about to get real. But First! I need a game plan..

The Help/Advice beacon has been lit!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    What kind of calls?
    Are these collection calls? If so, then yeah, you need to lock down your stuff as quick as possible. Get a credit report to make sure that you don't have any unknown credit cards/loans, call your bank and let them know that you think your identity may have been stolen.

If these are more along the lines of "Do you want a mortgage/car loan?" then chances are your contact information got sold then resold and is now happily populating a bajillion different lists. It sucks, but aside getting on the do not call registry and asking to be removed from their lists when they call there isn't much you can do.

If these are calls asking for a person who you are not, then chances are that person may have used your contact information on some sign up form, or possibly had that number before you did (if it's a newish number). Still not much you can do.

• Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the calls have been along the lines of "I see that you've signed up for this service and we'd like to help get you started and give you some more info" and they always ask to speak with me by name.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Check your credit report, make sure your number is on the do not call lists.

Sounds more like to me your name got put on an advertiser list that was sold in bulk to places and now telemarketers are cold calling you.

And remember if that is the case you can always fake your own death and have some fun with the telemarketers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIVfrBFc5og

But seriously though keep tabs on your credit report and make sure nothing fishy is is up.

iRevert on