As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cosmic Star Heroine E3 2016 trailer is live! (New Sci-Fi/Spy RPG from Zeboyd Games)

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    toaster dog would actually be pretty cool

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    toaster dog would actually be pretty cool

Space toaster dog.

Which means lots of the shiny 80s chrome look.

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Posted a new update: Extra Copy Add-On Option! Steam and DRM-Free together!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1596638143/cosmic-star-heroine-sci-fi-spy-rpg-for-pc-mac-ps4/posts/618849

So to clarify for the thick-headed (i.e. me) if I pledge $20 but choose the $10 reward then I can get 2 codes?

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1596638143/cosmic-star-heroine-sci-fi-spy-rpg-for-pc-mac-ps4/posts/618849

So to clarify for the thick-headed (i.e. me) if I pledge $20 but choose the $10 reward then I can get 2 codes?

That is correct.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Just posted an update on the kickstarter page. 66% of the way there and vote for a new character! :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1596638143/cosmic-star-heroine-sci-fi-spy-rpg-for-pc-mac-ps4/posts/618117

Holy shit, please tell me you two will just come up with your own damn ideas and not listen to 99% of what the people are saying...

Sexy Cat Girl. Classical Fantasy Monster. Sci-Fi Monster that looks like a Demon. Uninspired Idea #495...
    The game could use more people of colour.

We've got White... and Blue, Purple, Green and Metal, but where's the other colors of the rainbow?

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Hmmm, it'd be fun to see an African Han Solo-esque character. Or a by-the-books military Hispanic. Things that are slightly against type.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    MetalMagus wrote: »
    Hmmm, it'd be fun to see an African Han Solo-esque character.
    332yt5c.jpg

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hmmm, it'd be fun to see an African Han Solo-esque character. Or a by-the-books military Hispanic. Things that are slightly against type.

"Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate."

-- Col. Corazon Santiago, "Spartan Battle Manual"

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    EvilMonkey wrote: »

That is correct.

May my money be happier with you than it was with me.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Just posted an update on the kickstarter page. 66% of the way there and vote for a new character! :)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1596638143/cosmic-star-heroine-sci-fi-spy-rpg-for-pc-mac-ps4/posts/618117

If Bioware has taught me anything it's that life is only worth living if you are being accompanied by a homicidal robot.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Re: Lando and Santiago.

Hey, I never said that they don't exist, just that they're rare enough in fiction to be against (stereo)type. I could have said Latino rogue and Black military guy, but then peeps would just link Zorro and Sergeant Johnson from HALO.

• Options
    Re: Lando and Santiago.

Hey, I never said that they don't exist, just that they're rare enough in fiction to be against (stereo)type. I could have said Latino rogue and Black military guy, but then peeps would just link Zorro and Sergeant Johnson from HALO.

I wasn't disparaging the idea. I like Col. Santiago - she just came immediately to mind when you posted what you posted. :D

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

"Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate."

-- Col. Corazon Santiago, "Spartan Battle Manual"

I don't know what book you are reading that you can break a guy's arm in training on purpose.

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    Done my tiny part. Onward to fun!

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Just posted a big update! Linux support added! Previous games reward after Kickstarter! LV-Up System Ideas!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1596638143/cosmic-star-heroine-sci-fi-spy-rpg-for-pc-mac-ps4/posts/621401

Also, we're up to 85%!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Hyperduck soundtrack! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss

• Options
    After seeing that update I went back and read some of the development blog.

1) First, holy crap - how did I not make the Lunar: Eternal Blue connection when you guys said the cinematic intro was reminiscent of the SegaCD? The influences you're pulling from make total sense. The best parts of that amazing game were the shifts in tone (goofy and fun to deadly serious) the characters (development and voice) and cut-scenes for big moments. A great, great role model.

2) The LV-Up sounds pretty engaging. Is it still the plan that some of the recruitable members of your base will serve as "support" for the active members? That would definitely make for some interesting combinations.

On that matter, what are the general plans for the base anyways? I imagine that more recruits means things like more party members, more support members, special shops, unique items, and certain passive bonuses. Is there a plan that, at some point, the base plays a direct part in the narrative? If so, would your upgrades have an effect on the outcome? Like it comes under assault and how well you do (or even who lives/dies) depends on how you upgraded it?

3) Love the corporation-affinity for shops by the way. A great avenue for additional world building.

• Options
    2) The LV-Up sounds pretty engaging. Is it still the plan that some of the recruitable members of your base will serve as "support" for the active members? That would definitely make for some interesting combinations.

Yes!
    On that matter, what are the general plans for the base anyways? I imagine that more recruits means things like more party members, more support members, special shops, unique items, and certain passive bonuses.

Yes!
    Is there a plan that, at some point, the base plays a direct part in the narrative? If so, would your upgrades have an effect on the outcome? Like it comes under assault and how well you do (or even who lives/dies) depends on how you upgraded it?

The base will get attacked sometime during the game. Beyond that, my lips are sealed.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    On the topic of the base, any chance we can enslave an old man to make that fucker fly, a la Township in Breath of Fire II?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I'm a little behind on your guys' games, but I by chance finished CStW last night. Can't wait to see what you guys do with something not so parody. I love everything I see so far, but I'm really just throwing my name into the "you had me at Vita" hat.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Yes!
    On that matter, what are the general plans for the base anyways? I imagine that more recruits means things like more party members, more support members, special shops, unique items, and certain passive bonuses.

Yes!
    Is there a plan that, at some point, the base plays a direct part in the narrative? If so, would your upgrades have an effect on the outcome? Like it comes under assault and how well you do (or even who lives/dies) depends on how you upgraded it?

The base will get attacked sometime during the game. Beyond that, my lips are sealed.

Blue Rogues Attack?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The update that redefined the tiers made me realize that an option existed to show up in the credits.

Easiest $20 tier upgrade choice I've made in a Kickstarter.

Almost at 95% of the base funding goal, really hope the next (just under) 3 weeks let you guys round things out a bit with stretch goals. Nothing excessive, obviously, things like the improved music and whatnot you mentioned in the campaign.

Speaking of which, kudos on aiming to keep things reasonable. Much as I do enjoy a good rampant, out of control KS campaign, there's nothing wrong with "this is our target, this is what it should cost, this is what you get, some extras would be awesome but we're not going to quintuple the size of the game and add two years to the delivery date even if a million people back us".

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    McFlynnMcFlynn Registered User regular
    I'm going to have to see what the next paycheck looks like before contributing, as both the wife and I were sick for a whole week and blew our monthly budget. This totally looks amazing though.

I honestly still haven't played your PA games yet, but I've been a fan since the beginning. My claim to fame was pointing out a typo to you guys on BoD. I was all "I totally sent RD a message and he totally sent one back!"

• Options
    That's beautiful.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Hell yes. Hell. Yes.

HELL YES!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Gorgeous. Always nice to be reminded that sprites hold up even today.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    I've played and enjoyed most of your guy's games. All I ask is if you can find some way to make status effects work a bit better this go round. It is not just you guys but RPGs in general fail miserably at making status effects works. Most random encounters go quicker with just base attacks or big AOE magic and by the time you get to a long battle where status effects would maybe work better (BOSS FIGHTS), the bosses are immune to everything.

I do not have the solution. I can't think of an RPG I have played recently where they solved this dilemma either but it is something to think about.

I've backed you and wish you the best for this game no matter what direction you ultimately take.

• Options
    Khaczor wrote: »
    I've played and enjoyed most of your guy's games. All I ask is if you can find some way to make status effects work a bit better this go round. It is not just you guys but RPGs in general fail miserably at making status effects works. Most random encounters go quicker with just base attacks or big AOE magic and by the time you get to a long battle where status effects would maybe work better (BOSS FIGHTS), the bosses are immune to everything.

I do not have the solution. I can't think of an RPG I have played recently where they solved this dilemma either but it is something to think about.

I've backed you and wish you the best for this game no matter what direction you ultimately take.

Funny you should mention status effects in RPGs. :)

http://zeboyd.com/2013/07/15/an-idea-for-making-ailment-abilities-useful-in-cosmic-star-heroine/

• Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    @rainbowdespair
    Looks like you folks are going to make the funding easy, at this point which would be more useful to you, another kickstarter backer or a sale once the game comes out?

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I tastefully tossed out a small "hey guys, there's another kickstarter going on" message to some projects I've backed. Unfortunately, all of them have finished, and I stuck to video game related projects to remain somewhat topical, but the initial responses have been pretty good. Also putting out the word to friends. Clearly you won't have any trouble hitting that last few grand for funding, but hopefully it also puts some eyes on your other ventures as well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I just cannot wait to play this on my Vita.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

http://zeboyd.com/2013/07/15/an-idea-for-making-ailment-abilities-useful-in-cosmic-star-heroine/

This is a cool idea, but I think instead of higher MP costs (especially if this one is like your previous games where MP is difficult or impossible to recover), it should effect the duration instead. Like, instead of costing 50 MP to turn a boss to stone and thus effectively end the fight, it still only costs 15 MP (or whatever) but the effect only lasts one or two turns.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »

This is a cool idea, but I think instead of higher MP costs (especially if this one is like your previous games where MP is difficult or impossible to recover), it should effect the duration instead. Like, instead of costing 50 MP to turn a boss to stone and thus effectively end the fight, it still only costs 15 MP (or whatever) but the effect only lasts one or two turns.

Diminishing Returns on status effects and a later skill to reset diminishing returns? I swear I've played a certain labyrinth delving dungeon with a system like that.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    WOOOOOOOOOOT!

$100,026
    pledged of $100,000 goal

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)