As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UPDATED: Can anyone suggest possible backups to cable in Chicago?

jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I am moving, and in the process I'm dumping cable TV; I watch movies and I stream TV shows, but I never ever use my cable package any more. Therefor, I shall never again traffic with Comcast again. Life is simply too short. (RCN doesn't serve the block I'm going to be on, it turns out, so they are out as well).

That leaves me looking at DSL. 7 years ago I had DSL through Speakeasy.net; I was really very happy with it. Alas, they were bought by Best Buy and have become something called "Megapath", which is such an anodyne, colorless corporate idea of a "Web 3.0" name that you just know whatever MBA flung his poo at the wall to come up with it got a bonus equal to the combined annual salaries of all the technical staff combined. So no.

Suggestions? Obviously, I would much rather not have to deal with the shambling, reanimated corpse of Ma Bell, pulled back into the land of the living and animated by the pure evil of SBC, hungry for vengeance. Otherwise I'm wide open.

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
jamesra on

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Have you tried www.dslreports.com?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    worth pointing out that being happy with DSL at one address does not guarantee you will be happy with it at another

DSL speed and connection quality is dependent upon distance of the line from your house to the nearest exchange, and that changes with every house.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Because, as Dhalphir mentioned, DSL quality is so variable, looking into getting cable for internet only might be worth it.

• Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    My husband and I have been using Wide Open West for internet the last couple years and been very satisfied with them. We are in the suburbs, not Chicago proper. We tried both Comcast cable internet and AT&T DSL, but weren't satisfied with either in this location. We'd used AT&T DSL with no complaints in college (Champaign, IL), but the service was not good once we moved up to Chicagoland, so we switched.

• Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    worth pointing out that being happy with DSL at one address does not guarantee you will be happy with it at another

DSL speed and connection quality is dependent upon distance of the line from your house to the nearest exchange, and that changes with every house.

I know. Wow do I know. I was, no shit responsible for supporting the first --and last -- DSL links Netcom set up as part of ICG when I worked in that NOC. It was early days, and that was a bitch to manage.

I have used and preferred cable for the last many years, mostly because it can so easily support superior data rates. I am as aware as anyone and more than most the limits of DSL. But I have come to so, so loath Comcast. So much. I had originally pinned my hopes on RCN, who offer a really good deal on high speed internet service. It looks like they don't provide coverage in the area I will be residing, however. I plan to double check by calling but in my experience they have pretty decent maps. FUCKING cable monopolies.

I am not aware of any sort of fiber or similar that would reach my unit. For the cognoscenti, it is in Albany Park. Community Area 14, Ward 39. If someone can suggest someone who might -- I'm really not familar with what pilot fibers has been rolled out in Chicago beyond knowing it is quite limited.

Thanks for all the aid so far.

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    The closest you can get to fiber in the Chicago area is AT&T Uverse. I've heard the phone reps send you an AT&T highspeed dsl kit instead of set you up with a uverse installation if you only want internet though.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    UVerse has been OK out here in the 'burbs.

Steady connection, helped by the fact that all our cables are underground here. They've got a cheap local-only TV plan if you don't want TV but might be cheaper/easier to get than just naked DSL.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    No, the naked dsl isn't uverse and is terrible. AT&T highspeed dsl and AT&T U-verse are very different services with similar names.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    You could sign up for a uverse tv/internet bundle and then cancel the tv part. When I did that they just had me drop of the tv box. I'm assuming it is still uverse since they did not reprovision the data line.