As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakening: Total rip off?

benfinkelbenfinkel Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Am I the only one that noticed the mash-up of Sherlock and Lovecraft is stolen straight from Neil Gaiman's short story in Fragile Things?

I understand that ideas are often rehashed accidentally, but this seems a little on the specific side...

"A Study in Emerald" was the title of the story, and it's available for free on Gaiman's website if you google it.

-Ben
benfinkel on

• Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So some modern writer is totally stealing works from already dead authors? Makes sense to me.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    WyndhamPriceWyndhamPrice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    First: What the hell are you talking about?

Second: Neil Gaiman is not dead.

WyndhamPrice on
    WyndhamPrice.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I rather enjoyed Secret of the Silver Earring, their first Sherlock Holmes game.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Seperoth wrote: »

You're right. Crying shame, too.

Ginsane on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ginsane wrote: »

What the fuck?

Drez on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why, we released Sherlock Holmes on CD almost two years ago!

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Do you even know who Neil Gaiman is?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Does it totally rock your world askew that someone doesn't think in the same vein as you? I seriously don't like him. I don't think he writes well. It's like the prose from the little goth boi in high school. I ran through the sandman crap, neverwhere, american gods. I thought it was awful.
    Oh well.

Ginsane on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's funny, cause I was reading Metamorphosis and realised what a rip-off most of Neil Gaimans stuff is.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Does it totally rock your world askew that someone doesn't think in the same vein as you? I seriously don't like him. I don't think he writes well. It's like the prose from the little goth boi in high school. I ran through the sandman crap, neverwhere, american gods. I thought it was awful.
    Oh well.

So you think it's a "crying shame" that he's still alive because you don't like his work? I'd like to scream obscenities at you right now, but I'm sure you're fully aware of what a despicable thing you are, so I don't really need to.

Drez on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So is the game itself good or what?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Oh well.

So you think it's a "crying shame" that he's still alive because you don't like his work? I'd like to scream obscenities at you right now, but I'm sure you're fully aware of what a despicable thing you are, so I don't really need to.

I'm pretty sure my sarcasm came when Sep read my first post wrong. And there are so many ways to insult. Try not to do it to me again. That kind of hurts. Respect others opinions.
    I don't like him. I think it's a shame he still writes and has a career. If you really think I'd wish death on anyone, well, that'd be just silly. Try not to buy into forum-rhetoric all the time, Drez.

Ginsane on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm pretty sure my sarcasm came when Sep read my first post wrong. And there are so many ways to insult. Try not to do it to me again. That kind of hurts. Respect others opinions.
    I don't like him. I think it's a shame he still writes and has a career. If you really think I'd wish death on anyone, well, that'd be just silly. Try not to buy into forum-rhetoric all the time, Drez.

I don't respect your opinion or your "sarcasm" and I don't really have to, either. Try not to be a dipshit in the future.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    It's funny, cause I was reading Metamorphosis and realised what a rip-off most of Neil Gaimans stuff is.

Exactly.

Ginsane on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I quite liked "A Study in Emerald" but I'd rather hear more about this game's story before crying foul.

Not that I'm pretty sure a Cthulu/Holmes mash-up was attempted long before Gaiman's story.

And despite the way the goth community has attached themselves to Gaiman, I'd imagine that's got more to do with the design of certain characters in Sandman (Gaiman's not an artist) than the actual content of his work.

Calm down, Drez.

"Ran through" a book's different from reading it, Ginsane. And Sandman's not prose. Don't be a dick.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Oh well.

I'm not sure what you're overcompensating for, and I'm not sure I care. Unless it's really interesting.

And you've supposedly read a lot of his stuff for someone who hates his stuff.

august on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    august wrote: »
    Oh well.

I'm not sure what you're overcompensating for, and I'm not sure I care. Unless it's really interesting.

And you've supposedly read a lot of his stuff for someone who hates his stuff.

Because I don't blindly dislike something, or someone. I tried out the first three sandman graphic novels. And two of his more note-worthy books.

Ginsane on
  • Options
    PendegastPendegast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Not that I'm pretty sure a Cthulu/Holmes mash-up was attempted long before Gaiman's story.

On many, many occasions. Hell, Chaosium did it in the "Cthulhu by Gaslight" supplement (which, IIRC, had Professor Moriarity as a cultist/sorcerer -- fun stuff).

And Ginsane -- did Neil Gaiman steal your penis or something? Because this isn't the way to get it back. Honestly.

Pendegast on
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I haven´t played the game, but the well-respected finnish Pelit magazine gave it a high score. Said that it was definitely not for beginners and that it had some translation problems that ruined a puzzle, but overall got the holmes/Lovecraft mix right and the atmosphere is great.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's weird, because in A Study In Emerald
    it's highly hinted at that the roles that Holmes and Watson take in the story are filled by Professor Moriarty and Sebastian Moran, respectively, and visa versa.
    Also, it should be noted that none of the characters in the story are depicted by name. Finally, ASIE only takes place in England, while The Awakened takes place all over the world.

I would wager that no, the stories are independent of each other, and yes, the OP is full of it.

One Thousand Cables on