As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A God Damned Separate Thread For Your Argument About Obamacare

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Man, I like the idea of replacing a lot of older aircraft with new ones with a lot of parts commonality. I don't have any real in-depth knowledge on the topic, though, except for taking a class from an ex-Navy guy who was none too keen on a carrier-based plane with only one engine.

EDIT: This should probably be its own god-damn separate thread.

Yea, while economy of scales are a thing they aren't really that big a thing in the kind of numbers you're talking about for military hardware vehicles. From what I've heard of the dimensional requirements for jet parts it's almost not a thing for them at all.

Unlike, say, prescription drugs.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Preacher wrote: »
    Pretty sure the only brown people the f35 ever blew up was one of the test pilots. Damn thing is a boon doggle that will never fly a combat mission.

Bush_mission_accomplished.jpg

???

Wraith260 on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Can we not do this thing? And maybe just talk about the Affordable Care Act instead?

The final estimates for exchange signups is now at ~7.5m which puts it ahead of CBO's original target by half a million people. Though they aren't going to change their revised estimate from ~6.0m for the initial year in order to provide a cushion on their forward guidance with regards to people rolling through plans (typically up to 1/3rd of non-group plan participants do not last the year), not paying their first premium, and the improving economy allowing more people to join employer sponsored group plans.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    in 15 years we will only have piloted craft for rescue and transport anyway. drones are cheaper and we don't have pilots getting captured

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Look the F-35 is really good at blowing up brown people

Healthcare never blew up no brown people

Advantage: F-35

Let's not do the lolracism thing. It adds nothing to the conversation.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    A GOP person in Arkansas of all places is kind of sort of running on not repealing Obamacare. Progress!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Is there any sort of data out there, or any form of collection on people that signed up to get a plan while not having a plan vs people getting a plan while having a shittier, more expensive plan?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    What I'd actually like to see is numbers on the people who supposedly got screwed and have to somehow pay more for a worse plan somehow. Or even pay more period.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, what's the sane view of the argument I keep hearing that, "7.5 million probably signed up, but how many actually PAID the premium?"

I'm not viewing it as a rational argument because of its source, but I don't know why it's a bad argument yet.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, what's the sane view of the argument I keep hearing that, "7.5 million probably signed up, but how many actually PAID the premium?"

I'm not viewing it as a rational argument because of its source, but I don't know why it's a bad argument yet.

It's not invalid, some drop off is inevitable and expected. They would need like a 7% fall off rate to miss the initial goal though.

As far as I've seen, this is baseless speculation but it is at least about something that will happen to a certain degree.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

The sane view of the argument is that it's grasping at straws from people who are already opposed to Obamacare and desperate to see it fail. The acasignups graph suggests that < 10% of people will outright fail to pay the premium, and that's being generous.

Part of the reason the no-payment argument is propped up is because the numbers look worse for the time being. Some people who haven't paid don't owe anything yet because their coverage doesn't start until May... possibly June for those signing up over the next two weeks in the super-extended enrollment period.

• Options
    Fenceposts now traveling at ludicrous speed

• Options
    Yeah basically, the "Well they haven't paid yet!" is a delaying argument to make the really good number look only kind of sort of not as good. Its bullshit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    And 35% of which, are below age 35. I love it when numbers line up like that.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    That is a satisfying one. Like how the moon looks about the same size as the sun since it's 400 times smaller but 400 times closer.

...Although now that I type that I can't remember where I read it and those numbers sound totally made up. So take them with a grain of salt.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    That is a satisfying one. Like how the moon looks about the same size as the sun since it's 400 times smaller but 400 times closer.

...Although now that I type that I can't remember where I read it and those numbers sound totally made up. So take them with a grain of salt.

Luna:
    Distance to Earth: 384,400 km
    Circumference: 1737 km

Sol:
    Distance to Earth: 149,600,000 km
    Radius: 696,300 km

Sol/Luna:
    Distance to Earth: ~389
    Radius: ~400

I don't know why I did this.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

This article is such a fantastic thing.

It takes a special kind of stupid to watch the launch of a program, see some of the shaky parts come loose & have to be adjusted, watch over a hundred thousand people buy into the program almost immediately despite all of the teething problems, and then immediately prophesize it's failure / collapse.

'It's not a success! Those poors might not PAY!' is the same kind of desperate, burned-out shrieking as 'Well he's not my President!'

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

Luna:
    Distance to Earth: 384,400 km
    Circumference: 1737 km

Sol:
    Distance to Earth: 149,600,000 km
    Radius: 696,300 km

Sol/Luna:
    Distance to Earth: ~389
    Radius: ~400

I don't know why I did this.

Thank you so much.

Seriously.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    oh shit that reminds me I need to pay my health insurance

*-$2.36*

thanks obama!

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah basically, the "Well they haven't paid yet!" is a delaying argument to make the really good number look only kind of sort of not as good. Its bullshit.
    Fenceposts now traveling at ludicrous speed

To be fair, I think there were actual numbers floating around that showed on average a larger then rounding error never coughed up the money and were dropped. like 25%ish.

But yeah, its goal post moving goosery for the most part.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think it was on Lawrence O'Donnels show last night that 8 million was just the exchanges but the total number of people that have insurance now that didn't before was close to 9.9 million if you include everything.

I'm glad the President made sure to mention the states that aren't expanding Medicaid are doing it out of pure political spite, and put it out there that it would not cost these states any money.

That needs to be mentioned more.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I think it was on Lawrence O'Donnels show last night that 8 million was just the exchanges but the total number of people that have insurance now that didn't before was close to 9.9 million if you include everything.

I'm glad the President made sure to mention the states that aren't expanding Medicaid are doing it out of pure political spite, and put it out there that it would not cost these states any money.

The numbers I saw was 8 million for exchanges, 3 million medicare expansion, 3 or 1.5 million <26 year olds on parents, and 5 million missed because of R jerk faces.

DevoutlyApathetic on
  • Options
    edited April 2014

*-$2.36*

thanks obama!

And unless you send your company a check for those negative dollars, you don't count because you didn't pay.

As the graph shows, and doesn't show in some cases, Obamacare means we have two categories of people who lose coverage:

-People who lose their employer-provided coverage (too lousy to qualify as real insurance)
    -People who lose their individual plan (ditto)

And there are several groups of people who gain coverage:

-Under-26's staying on their parents' insurance
    -People who get the new Medicaid expansion
    -People who were previously eligible for Medicaid but didn't get it for whatever reason
    -People whose jobs add health insurance to avoid the employer mandate penalty
    -People who get individual insurance on the exchange
    -People who get individual insurance off the exchange

And people who fall into both groups, of course, since the lion's share of the people who had insurance before will get something to replace it. (If you are evil, of course, you will play fast and loose with these numbers and pretend that nobody who lost their insurance got a new plan, and only the people who were previously uninsured count under the signups column.)

edit: The actual point here is that there's really no way to figure out what the net effect is other than by seeing how many people have insurance. Expect the uninsured rate to drop relatively slowly for the rest of the year with a couple sharp drops in December and February (beginning-ish and end of 2015 open enrollment). Unfortunately the 2015 open enrollment period will end two months before taxes are due so we'll lose the bonus incentive for people to sign up immediately after paying the individual mandate penalty.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if someone with COBRA coverage can terminate it and qualify for a special enrollment period? Apparently my mother-in-law is paying $700 a month for hers and there's no way in hell she's making $80k/year. (update: appears the answer is no, you can't terminate it early to qualify, only when the 18 months or whatever expires.)

Tenek on
  • Options
    I love that a majority of states enacted the Medicaid expansion and resulted in 3 million covered while the minority of states that didn't results in 5 million missing out.

Some brief time with excel and the numbers....expansion states makes up 53.14% of the US population. 169.5 Million people yielded 3 million eligible. About 1.75% of the population of those states.

Non-expansion states, 146.6 million, 45.55%. They would have yielded 5 million. About 3.4% of the population of those states would qualify.

Not sure of the point here except it pisses me off when politicians screw over those they are meant to represent in order to serve national ideological goals.

• Options
    Yup because statically the states that rejected it are much poorer

• Options
    Tenek wrote: »

*-$2.36*

thanks obama!

And unless you send your company a check for those negative dollars, you don't count because you didn't pay.

As the graph shows, and doesn't show in some cases, Obamacare means we have two categories of people who lose coverage:

-People who lose their employer-provided coverage (too lousy to qualify as real insurance)
    -People who lose their individual plan (ditto)

And there are several groups of people who gain coverage:

-Under-26's staying on their parents' insurance
    -People who get the new Medicaid expansion
    -People who were previously eligible for Medicaid but didn't get it for whatever reason
    -People whose jobs add health insurance to avoid the employer mandate penalty
    -People who get individual insurance on the exchange
    -People who get individual insurance off the exchange

And people who fall into both groups, of course, since the lion's share of the people who had insurance before will get something to replace it. (If you are evil, of course, you will play fast and loose with these numbers and pretend that nobody who lost their insurance got a new plan, and only the people who were previously uninsured count under the signups column.)

edit: The actual point here is that there's really no way to figure out what the net effect is other than by seeing how many people have insurance. Expect the uninsured rate to drop relatively slowly for the rest of the year with a couple sharp drops in December and February (beginning-ish and end of 2015 open enrollment). Unfortunately the 2015 open enrollment period will end two months before taxes are due so we'll lose the bonus incentive for people to sign up immediately after paying the individual mandate penalty.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if someone with COBRA coverage can terminate it and qualify for a special enrollment period? Apparently my mother-in-law is paying $700 a month for hers and there's no way in hell she's making $80k/year. (update: appears the answer is no, you can't terminate it early to qualify, only when the 18 months or whatever expires.)

Check the details but I know that losing your job qualifies as a "life event" which entitles you to a special enrollment. So definitely worth a check.

• Options

Shocking from our boot strappy republican brothers! Honestly its sad they are using the poor and dying to make a point of politics. Like they'll complain there are still uninsured in their states as a failing of obamacare when its their own fucking fault they don't have the medicaid expansion.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, the refusal to expand medicaid, by these states pisses me; especially, when the fuckers blocking it get applauded by anti-tax groups and then act like they are such great people for having the backing of dumbasses that think all taxes are evil. For the past couple of months, lots of people, in VA, have been saying "Hey dumbass republicans, you do realize that VA taxpayer money is leaving the state for the medicaid expansion and going to starts run by smarter people. The smart thing to do is accept the expansion, so that our share of the money stays in the state."

The sad thing, is even some of the traditional GOP donors are saying that. Sure it isn't out of good will, they're seeing that some of their tax money is being wasted and/or aren't so fucking stupid, that they fail to realize a sickly workforce and customer base, is bad for business. It still floors me when food industry owners are stupid enough to bitch about how there is a need to nudge up prices by a few cents to meet the new healthcare regulations and ensure their employees have healthcare. I mean, if there is one business where having or learning that most of their employees are ill, could doomed a business to failure, food industry jobs are one of them.

Mill on
  • Options
    Lets be honest business owners in this country are short term profit over long term gain. Like their stance on rejecting min wage increases are retarded in the face of if employees had more money THEY'D BUY MORE SHIT YOU IDIOTS!

Swear to christ america is the land of the dumb with every new day.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Lets be honest business owners in this country are short term profit over long term gain. Like their stance on rejecting min wage increases are retarded in the face of if employees had more money THEY'D BUY MORE SHIT YOU IDIOTS!

Eh. I think you just missed a critical path or two. I mean let's face it: my fellow countrymen would be exactly that stupid if asked the question a particular way, and frequently are.

All our forward progress has essentially been powered by politicians who somehow pushed it through, and, I suspect, the benefits of limited talkback radio and 24-hour newscycles of yesteryear.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    The worst part of it is that they could do something like what Kentucky did. Set up your own state exchange and call it something else hiding as much as you can about it being related to "Obamacare" or the ACA and then watch as your uninsured rate drops 40% and take all the credit for it.

Mitch McConnell and Rand Paul will decry "Obamacare" all day everyday but I don't think either one of them has or would say anything bad about Kentucky's KYnect exchange website or how well it worked for them.

Viskod on
  • Options

Eh. I think you just missed a critical path or two. I mean let's face it: my fellow countrymen would be exactly that stupid if asked the question a particular way, and frequently are.

All our forward progress has essentially been powered by politicians who somehow pushed it through, and, I suspect, the benefits of limited talkback radio and 24-hour newscycles of yesteryear.

Other countries may be equally as stupid but they generally had governments willing to do something that was better for the people in the long run. Not the US, we are a corptocracy run by the super rich, when things happen for the lower classes its almost accidental.

I mean ACA is a decent enough law, but its also a really really corporate friendly law that gifted insurance companies a bunch of new customers they ordinarily can't reach (young people who won't need much healthcare). If it didn't give a huge gift to insurance companies it would never have gotten passed.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

The biggest driver of the disparity is that the red states most likely to reject the expansion also have the stingiest limits. From 2012:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/08/15/690761/without-obamacare-families-making-under-5000-arent-poor-enough-for-medicaid-in-some-states/

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

That requires business owners to get together and all agree to raise wages (otherwise the ones to do it have higher costs vs those who don't.) Raising the minimum wage achieves this nicely. Which they should be all for because it puts them all in the same boat. And some business owners should be REALLY for it, such as Apple. I don't suppose Apple employs many Americans on minimum wage (outside the canteen and janitorial staff) and the more Americans with money, the more shiny laptops they can push.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I wouldn't assume business owners are making decisions based on large-scale economics. For the most part, they are as ideologue-y as every other voter.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/wp/2014/04/29/obamacare-beneficiary-you-wouldnt-have-caught-me-dead-watching-msnbc
    The story of Dean Angstadt’s sudden embrace of Obamacare made MSNBC last night. Host Chris Hayes picked up on a heartwarming story in the Philadelphia Inquirer about a 57-year-old logger of Boyertown, Pa., who’d resisted signing up for Obamacare coverage but finally relented under the urging of a friend.
    Noted Hayes of Angstadt, “He was so resistant to the thought of submitting to the tyrannical Obamacare pushed by a party he despises that he refused to sign up, even though he needed to have a heart valve replaced. Finally, his friend basically staged an intervention, helping him apply and choose a plan, which then enabled him to have life-saving surgery. And without that, Angstadt says — quote — ‘I probably would have ended up falling over dead.’”
    In an interview with the Erik Wemple Blog today, Angstadt reported having watched that MSNBC segment online today. It was an introduction of sorts: “You wouldn’t have caught me dead watching MSNBC,” said Angstadt. “That’s probably the longest I’d ever sat and watched MSNBC in my life.”

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The awesome keeps happening.

Obamacare Just Saved The U.S. Economy From Contraction
    WASHINGTON, April 30 (Reuters) - As the U.S. economy teetered on the brink of contraction in the first quarter, one thing stood out. Healthcare spending increased at its fastest pace in more than three decades.

That surge is attributed to the implementation of President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law, the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. Because of Obamacare, the nation narrowly avoided its first decline in output in three years.

"GDP growth would have ... been negative were it not for healthcare spending," said Harm Bandholz, chief economist at UniCredit Research in New York.

Healthcare spending increased at a 9.9 percent annual rate, the quickest since the third quarter of 1980, and it contributed 1.1 percentage points to GDP growth.

The economy expanded at only a 0.1 percent rate in the first quarter, held back by a drop in exports and business investment, which economists attributed to a harsh winter. A sharp slowdown in the pace of inventory accumulation was also a drag.

awdwo09vsqwk.jpg

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Apparently my mom was setting up an appointment with her obgyn and their office told her, "Did your insurance change? We don't accept that Obamacare."

They'll still accept her Medicare though.

Take that, government!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Apparently my mom was setting up an appointment with her obgyn and their office told her, "Did your insurance change? We don't accept that Obamacare."

They'll still accept her Medicare though.

Take that, government!

One thing that has amazed me to no end is healthcare and health insurance professionals who don't have a god damned clue what they're talking about in relation to the ACA.