Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Good night [chat], good night air, good night [brainstorm] everywhere

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
  • VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    Even if you're not in the mood. You've just gotta be dedicated.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Magell
  • AmpAmp King of Card Games Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Magell wrote: »
    That's why I just use shitty notebooks that cost less than a dollar. A new one ain't shit. Although the one where I wrote fifty something pages of a story and then my brother spilled something onto it and ruined like the last five pages was kind of disheartening, but it had to be typed up and rewritten at some point anyway. Now to get on that part of it.
    But but those note books are sentual! They look some dam pretty and are a perfect weight to swat at things with.
    Even if you're not in the mood. You've just gotta be dedicated.
    You've just got to get up and be all "I gots to do this" grit your teeth and soldier on.

Amp on
    Calix Maus Imbranus
    Magell
    edited October 2013
    Amp wrote: »
    That's why I just use shitty notebooks that cost less than a dollar. A new one ain't shit. Although the one where I wrote fifty something pages of a story and then my brother spilled something onto it and ruined like the last five pages was kind of disheartening, but it had to be typed up and rewritten at some point anyway. Now to get on that part of it.
    But but those note books are sensual! They look some damn pretty and are a perfect weight to swat at things with.

People have tried to sell me on the virtues of moleskein books, but I don't see the appeal. But to each their own. My handwriting is fucking awful so I don't like to commit anything too long form to that form as I have to retype it anyway.

Although sometimes I can just write better when it's by hand.

Magell on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Moleskine notebooks are nice, but they changed their paper a while back and for some reason the new paper repels me, it's like onion skin.

I have recently migrated all my pertinent Delta Sector stuff into this notebook which has a vinyl jacket that doubles as a storage pocket, it's been quite useful.

The best notebooks are the ones that let you remove/add pages as you see fit.

I got one of those Circa notebooks from Levenger for Christmas, like... three years ago? I'm still using it because I can just pop chunks of paper in and out. The thing goes with me everywhere and is still in great condition. It's a more expensive option, but this way I get to use the notebook entirely for one book and when that book is done, the pages come out and get bound and set aside in case I need them later. Or just because I like having the pages around.

I take a toooon of notes when I'm working on things. Just endless pages of notes and excerpts and things.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    omg look at the author page for the War Stories anthology, i am chillin with Ken Liu and Joe Haldeman

DoctorJestAmaliaKCWiseliquiddark
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    I love my Moleskines... I have 3 of them that are always with me. I like the idea of having a notebook that I can add/remove pages on, though. Just Googled that Circa notebook and had total sticker shock, bro!!

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Wank wrote: »
    omg look at the author page for the War Stories anthology, i am chillin with Ken Liu and Joe Haldeman

I love your author pic, all, "Wait, what? Why you holdin a camera? What am I doin here?"

In other news, less than 24 hours between "submit my order for a laptop through Newegg" and "there is a laptop sitting on my front porch". Negative points to UPS for leaving a laptop on my front porch in an apartment complex in the middle of the ghetto, but I guess they figured it was being protected by the lawn gnome I'd ordered for my mom as a joke gift.

I am trying very hard not to suddenly become ill and have to go home for the day.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    Wait, did someone get the laptop off the front porch??

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    My wife did. Did it sound like I implied it was stolen? Cause that's totally not what I meant. It was not stolen. It is chilling on my dining room table.

If it was stolen, I would have to stab a bitch.

All of them.

I would stab all the bitches with my new lawn gnome.

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
  • DoctorJestDoctorJest Grand Eedjit The Loony BinRegistered User regular
    I want to see that. I want to see everyone being stabbed with a gnome as soon as possible.

But but those note books are sensual! They look some damn pretty and are a perfect weight to swat at things with.

People have tried to sell me on the virtues of moleskein books, but I don't see the appeal. But to each their own. My handwriting is fucking awful so I don't like to commit anything too long form to that form as I have to retype it anyway.

Although sometimes I can just write better when it's by hand.
    I find it easier to just throw stuff down on a note pad to visualise it before tidying it up with typing. For the most part it is an athstetic choice for me there is something tomb like that makes it feel "real" or that the idea is down some where safe and stored.

Moleskine notebooks are nice, but they changed their paper a while back and for some reason the new paper repels me, it's like onion skin.
    quote]
    The one I've got is off white almost partchment like and it is my jam.

Calix Maus Imbranus
  • AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    So hey guys, remember when I said that Forged by Fate is a finalist in the debut novel category of the Book Junkie's Choice awards? Voting is open, now! And I am sure I will need all the help I can get! I mean, if you want.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    VanityPantsDoctorJestMagelltapeslinger
    edited October 2013
    I feel bad about voting for you since I haven't read the other books, but I did it.

Also the cover for Murder at Castle Rock looks awesome.

Magell on
    I would think you would feel worse about voting for me if you had read the other books and liked them better :P But thank you!!

I haven't read the other books either, honestly. So many books so little time.

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

That is a good point. I've got important things to do like making a playlist of all the Jock Jams songs on spotify.

Quoth
  • bigrickcookbigrickcook Dord of Lance? OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Amalia wrote: »
    So hey guys, remember when I said that Forged by Fate is a finalist in the debut novel category of the Book Junkie's Choice awards? Voting is open, now! And I am sure I will need all the help I can get! I mean, if you want.

A vote has been made. A vote for freedom.

I mean Forged.

http://panningforclouds.com
    Panning For Clouds, a writing blog dedicated to my fiction and writing columns! Updates at least twice a week.
    Amalia
    edited October 2013

A vote has been made. A vote for freedom.

I mean Forged.

My vote wasn't for freedom, it was Forged by Fate.

(Because human's don't have freedom, everything has been ordained by fate, I had to vote for it.)

Magell on
    AmaliaDoctorJest
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I feel bad about voting for you since I haven't read the other books, but I did it.

Also the cover for Murder at Castle Rock looks awesome.

Elections are always a matter of who has the best marketing. Amalia is the clear winner in the TWBosphere.

Amalia
    Ha!!!

Thanks all of you! I really, really appreciate it! I'm guessing that I am definitely no way no how going to win this but with Fate Forgotten coming out Nov 5, it would be great marketing for that release if I could somehow make it happen.

• KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    Ha!!!

Thanks all of you! I really, really appreciate it! I'm guessing that I am definitely no way no how going to win this but with Fate Forgotten coming out Nov 5, it would be great marketing for that release if I could somehow make it happen.

The die has been cast. The vote has been as well, but I figured that was implied.

fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero
    Misfits_Signature.jpg

Amalia
    I got distracted by Abs McSexyface on the cover of Twilight Hunter, but I still got my vote in for Forged by Fate!! Sending positive and hopeful vibes!

Amalia
    edited October 2013
    Ha! they are pretty hardcore in the abs department there. But Thank You!!

Amalia on

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    votered!

Amalia
    That is a good point. I've got important things to do like making a playlist of all the Jock Jams songs on spotify.

After having made and listening to this playlist Jock Jams really shit the bed later on in its existence. I guess there's a reason they stopped getting made.

Where do people stand on music and writing? The scifi thing that Im working on has pretty much been fueled by techno and J-pop.

Calix Maus Imbranus
    I always listen to stuff while writing either podcasts or music. But I listen to music while I'm doing everything, I just need to have background noise, because if I'm not listening to music I'm just playing songs in my head. No single genre or band will get me going on my writing, but at certain times something will strike my fancy and really help me get going on my writing.

Amp
    I would argue that harpsichord music can make any mundane task seem awesome.

Calix Maus Imbranus
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    I listen to music when I'm struggling to concentrate.
    When I can concentrate properly, it's a distraction.

I tend to listen while I write, and what I listen to depends on the project.

Usually when I start a new book, my mind will latch on to one song, artist, or album and I'll primarily play that or similar things during writing times.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    And I can tell you from being friends with VP on spotify that it's probably folk rock that he's listening to.

AmaliaVanityPants
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I just listen to my standard playlist when I'm writing. Lots of industrial and thrash. When I'm really digging in, though, I don't think I can be described as listening to the music anymore. I don't even notice it's still playing.

Tube wrote: »
    No, I hate D&D more than the other subforums because it's more of a pain in my arse.
    VP has the best taste in music of all time. I am just saying.

VanityPants
    UNRELATED to music -- soliciting reviews makes me feel kind of ill. I think it is worse than querying, guys.

Is this for your already released book and asking people who read it to review it, or giving out copies of new book for people to read and review?

Because at least for the second one they get something out of it as well. If it's the first well that's tougher, but I think a lot of people engaged in the publishing/writing business understand how important that kind of thing is for people on smaller labels to get their shit talked about.

The second book, Magell, but I am reaching out to people who have not read the first one also, so it is super awkward. "Hey, would you like to review the sequel to a book you didn't review maybe? please? I will beg."

• Ronin356Ronin356 Nowhere MORegistered User regular
    Where do people stand on music and writing? The scifi thing that Im working on has pretty much been fueled by techno and J-pop.

I love punk rock and it fuels a lot of my writing.

Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.
    Georgia O'Keeffe
    Be sure to like my Comic Book "Last Words" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Last-Words-The-Comic-Book/458405034287767
    and Magenta the Witchgirl!: http://www.drunkduck.com/Magenta_the_Witchgirl/

The second book, Magell, but I am reaching out to people who have not read the first one also, so it is super awkward. "Hey, would you like to review the sequel to a book you didn't review maybe? please? I will beg."

Just let them know you have swag, maybe even Thor swag again. Everybody loves swag, especially Thor swag.

This discussion has been closed.