Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Good night [chat], good night air, good night [brainstorm] everywhere

• AmaliaAmalia AuthorFace Registered User regular
    Also @credeiki have you read FIRE by Cashore? (it is definitely one of my YA fantasy favorites.)

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

Give the Gift of Thor! Or maybe you'd be interested in that Orc Book I wrote.
    VanityPants
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I rip on Twilight because it's plenty rippable, but my own pleasures are just as juvenile considering I'm the person who giggles incessantly when reading fart joke stories.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Nothing about the concept of Twilight appealed to me. Vampires kind of do, but not with the intersections with the other things.

• VanityPantsVanityPants Gokai Red! Registered User regular
    I read the first Twilight book and didn't find it to be terrible by any means.

It wasn't a story I was interested in continuing, but that was more just because it didn't interest me enough. A lot of people react really negatively to the writing, and I know taste is super duper a thing, but a large part of it feels like backlash because of how popular it is.

The writing isn't FANTASTIC, but it's hardly terrible. At worst it's pretty plain/utilitarian, and there are definitely plenty of other popular books I can think of that are written in the same way or even not as well.

Jim Butcher, for instance (the first three books, anyway), I found to be pretty boring as far as writing goes, not necessarily the overall story. Brandon Sanderson, too. I'd put both of their prose at about the same level as Meyer's.

The books certainly have problematic elements, but it doesn't seem to me that they have any more or less problematic elements than many other books, and since I don't go around bashing Mark Lawrence for the fact that his characters rape and pillage and treat one another terribly and it's glamorized, I don't really have much of a leg to stand on with regards to complaining about Twilight. At the end of the day, if we're interested in a story and connect with it, we give it a lot more leniency.

ANYWAY.

Like @Amalia said, everyone should go read FIRE.

But they should also go read Six of Crows, because it's the bee's knees.

Also I'm kind of back? Hi guys! I've missed you all.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    AmaliaKCWise
    Six of Crows was SO GOOD.

and Welcome Back, VeeP!

Sometimes I blog. Other times I tweet. But I'm always writing. (and so is that other Amalia)

VanityPants
    Also, like @Madican, I can't criticize anything for being too silly because I can't stop watching Super Sentai shows.

Nothin' sillier than people jumping around in spandex costumes and beating up weird monsters.

There's nothing cooler either, though...

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Amalia wrote: »
    Also @credeiki have you read FIRE by Cashore? (it is definitely one of my YA fantasy favorites.)

I've never even heard of the author! I will go seek it out next time I am at the library.

In writing news, I, uh, am probably not writing until I fulfill my videogame ranked goals (or until the end of the League of Legends season on Nov 11). Which is pathetic, but I know my priorities :(
    I did spend about 3 hours in the car yesterday brainstorming new vampire stories though, so at least that's percolating? Maybe I should post some already written ones here and you guys can tell me what I am supposed to do with them.

But at least I have a crop of new stuff to read. For $7 I acquired Surfacing (Atwood), The Outlaws of Sherwood (McKinley), My Life as a Man (Roth), and Crystal Lines (McCaffrey). I'm committing to owning those crystal singer/Killashandra books and buying them when I see them used; they're the only medium-quality fantasy I read in high school that I still think about pretty regularly, for some reason.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    3DS FC: 1134-8436-4363
    credeiki wrote: »
    ...and Crystal Lines (McCaffrey). I'm committing to owning those crystal singer/Killashandra books and buying them when I see them used; they're the only medium-quality fantasy I read in high school that I still think about pretty regularly, for some reason.

I love that trilogy! I read them around 8th grade-ish, iirc, and I still periodically reread -- my edition (a big paperback with all three volumes in one) is VERY well-worn. I think they've held up pretty well, writing-quality-wise. I mean, definitely better than the first two books in the Dragonrider trilogy, imho.

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    The only Dragonrider books I would still openly recommend are the Harper Hall trilogy

if only because they so plainly telegraph what a boys-only club the SF world was back then

edited October 2015
    I like MORETA, DRAGONSDAWN, and DRAGONSEYE, too.

Amalia on

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Oh, Moreta was kinda fun. I vaguely remember Dragonseye and Dragonsdawn.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Haven't read Anne McCafferey in years. My favorites were Pegasus in Flight and Pegasus in Space, but then it didn't end and went on to Rowan, which was fine, then continued on to Damia, okay can we, nope MORE BOOKS until it's basically a shadow of what I liked in the first place.

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    edited October 2015
    ahhh. I used to love ROWAN but I recently went back to reread and there are some glaring errors that I just cannot overlook and what was with the trend in the Anne McCaffrey books to have these powerful, capable women be groomed for powerful leadership positions until their boyfriends show up and WHOOPS, they're actually the more suitable candidate, not you! Our mistake, Sorry!

(edited for typos because I suck)

Amalia on

• MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    If I'm going to consume any media that involves a young woman having a relationship with a vampire it's going to be Buffy or Angel and that's the end of the discussion.

I haven't really read Twilight. I read part of the beginning at a library and didn't like it, but I also hated the first Harry Potter book's beginning and eventually loved that series. I doubt the same will happen here, but at some point I will read Twilight so I can have an opinion on it.

@Credeiki - Ahh, Surfacing is really good! That and The Edible Woman are two of my favorite Atwood books.

Also for you and @Amalia and any other YA (particularly YA Fantasy) fans, you guys REALLY need to be reading Melina Marchetta's Lumatere series. It starts with Finnikin of the Rock.

Amalia, I know you at least will totally fall in love with it.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    Magell wrote: »
    If I'm going to consume any media that involves a young woman having a relationship with a vampire it's going to be Buffy or Angel and that's the end of the discussion.

That's legit but I would submit Sunshine, by Robin McKinley, as having a pretty wonderful human woman-vampire man relationship, and also some great descriptions of baked goods, so...yeah, good times all around.

Yeah I middle school and high school I read widely of McCaffrey, and although the dragonriders have a lot of nostalgia--I think I read and re-read those, and own a bunch of them, although they're in storage right now--something about the Crystal Singer books is really compelling. She wanted to be a famous singer but couldn't so then she was like fuck it and uh...cut these colorful semi-conductor-ish crystals with her voice and was awesome at it and had a bad attitude throughout and also met a hunky guy and lost her memory? But somehow this appeals much more than the Rowan, or the unicorn girl, or the book with the selkies. I recall really enjoying the crystal-cutting scenes, and the assembly line where all the crystals came in. Guess I'm just a magpie :P

No, I am totally with you on that Credeiki! I really love those books, and Killa's don't give a crap what anyone says, can-do attitude ha. AND the crossover with the brainship universe was pretty awesome, too.

VP! I actually DID start reading Finnikin while I was on my mini vacation on the Forest Moon of Endor (aka Oregon) but I only have it on kindle and the idea of reading it via kindle is super unappealing ha. I did enjoy what I read though -- I can't be more than like 10% in, yet.

VanityPants
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I love Sunshine, but it's so slow. Robin McKinley tends to work that way, but it felt even slower than her usual for some reason.

Oh, huh, to me it feels a bit faster than most other McKinley books because there aren't lavish descriptions of forests, and the dialogue feels harsher and more immediate (and how bout that scene (ahhhh that scene!) where she teleports into Kon's lair...that was pretty visceral and not the languid/dreamlike McKinley pacing). But I'm a sucker for modern fantasy writing with extensive dwelling on everyday details, so the pacing is great for me.

It's lavish descriptions of stuff that isn't forests. Much baking.

...Now I want muffins.

So, Harper Voyage is doing That Thing They Do again for their Impulse line. Open submissions for those interested. Looks like they're specifically hoping for some Urban Fantasy and Military Sci-Fi. November 2nd through the 6th.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    DoctorJest
    A little more than 48 hours til I'm on the bus to @KCWise 's home turf

Ermagerd verable perdise

*flails

I just left work and I am going to have such margaritas

bigrickcookKCWiseVanityPantsAmaliaMagellQuoth
    Do us proud, @Tapeslinger !

Way to go and I hope you have a BLAST over there!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    tapeslingerMagellKCWise
    So, with that Angry Robots submission period coming up at the end of the year--and Harper Voyager, too--I've got a book I want to see if some people wouldn't mind reading. I usually just drop a post in here with all the details.

But times are a changin'

Do you guys want a "Read My Book / Novella / Whatever!" thread? If so, I can whip one up later today and whenever you're seeking crits on longer form stuff that won't fit on the forum you can post about it there?

If you guys DO want that, do you want it in here or should I drop it in the Well?

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    hey @VanityPants long time no see. i don't know about threads but i do know i'm gonna be done my novel in a week or so and am definitely down to swap manuscripts.

also, i got a short story in the next issue of Asimov's, which is dope

KCWisetapeslingerAmalia
    Hey @Wank ! I'd be totally happy to do a swapperoo if you're in the mood for some character-centric fantasy stuff. I remember reading bits of your first book in the impromptu TWB Skype Writer's Group and really diggin' it, so I'd be more than happy to read for you.

Let me know when you wanna make the switch and we can arrange a drop-point where the cops won't see us.

ALSO, big congrats on Asimov's!

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    KCWisetapeslinger
    Hey @Wank was your nostalgia story pubbed? I wanted to recommend it to one of my students and couldn't find it online.

Quoth wrote: »
    Hey @Wank was your nostalgia story pubbed? I wanted to recommend it to one of my students and couldn't find it online.

well that is one of the most flattering things that i have ever heard. it's slated to come out in F&SF early next year, i'm not sure if they put it online or just do print

edited October 2015
    Dude wrote a story that reminded me of it. I think it's good to read stuff that is similar in style, tone, subject matter... Helps to see how other people approach things, how they make them work and what you can do to improve with those tools.

E: and of course, it was a good story. Don't want to recommend BAD stories as case studies.

Quoth on
  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    Hey guys. I'm trying to think up the name of a sci fi story I read at some point. I don't think it was a full length book, probably just a short story or something, but I could be entirely wrong about that. The main theme as I recall was that humanity made it out into space but either never found any sentient life or only found traces, then at some point it's revealed that there is life out there they are just keeping us quarantined away from everyone else for whatever reason.

I sure hope it actually exists and i'm not just making it up. It's driving me nuts.

steam_sig.png
  • KCWiseKCWise Barefoot in my Husband's KitchenRegistered User regular
    I have the Lady Tape. We are watching the sunrise. It is a good day. :)

QuothAmaliabigrickcooktapeslinger
    apparently someone has already pirated my Orc Saga sequel.
    Literally there are only like 10 people who I sent e-ARCs too, and I am kind of WTF right now.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    apparently someone has already pirated my Orc Saga sequel.
    Literally there are only like 10 people who I sent e-ARCs too, and I am kind of WTF right now.

Text recognition software can turn print copies into digital ones, too, if you sent any print ARCs out.

Or it could be someone from inside your publishing house--I doubt publishers are all that careful about keeping that stuff nailed down, unless you're talking about a new Harry Potter or something.

If, uh, that makes you feel any better?

Need a writer for B2B blog content or other copy? Hire me here.
    Nope, no print ARCs.
    And I don't have a publishing house.
    It had to be one of the people I sent an e-ARC too, which is just super the grossest.

Magell
    Nope, no print ARCs.
    It had to be one of the people I sent an e-ARC too, which is just super the grossest.

oh man that's shitty =( try to view it as the world's grossest compliment, i guess. someone wanted to spread your work, like, right now

• zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    Nope, no print ARCs.

It might be worth the effort of watermarking those with the person's name. It usually isn't too hard to do to a PDF.

I sent mobi files, Zen.

I expect POST-release pirating, like whatever, that's just life -- pre-release pirating is pretty awful though. I previously had taken solace in the fact that few people knew about me as an author to provoke that kind of pirating but I guess not anymore.

What an enormous shit spelunker. No offense to people who enjoy spelunking in shit caves.

AmaliaElJeffe
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hey folks!

So I noticed the idea about creating a manuscript-swap thread. I don't have a problem with that, but I think that it will probably draw less attention than just dropping posts in here. I wouldn't object to people posting in such a thread and also dropping a mention in chat, though, so that's an option.

What if the standard for such a thread was a quick note including the title, genre, and quick description, followed by a spoiler tagged excerpt, kind of like what would be included in a cover letter? That would help potential readers know if it's their bag.

If we do such a thread, I'm thinking it should go in this forum, for increased visibility, though would people be hesitant to post excerpts in someplace publicly visible? I'm assuming that publishers or agents aren't going to turn down a novel because 1000 words of it appeared in an obscure writing forum, but it comes down to what people are comfortable with.

Thoughts?

Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

I make tweet.
    KCWise
    That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of, Jeff--Genre/Brief Description/Wordcount and then a bit of the first chapter as a sample or something.

Posting from a manuscript shouldn't be a problem at all as far as agents/editors are concerned. At least, it's never been something mentioned to me by any agents/editors, and I've had bits of my books on subs up and about on the internet all throughout.

Gokai_zpsdvyiviz0.png
    KCWise
This discussion has been closed.