As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    TBH, if they can nail that gunplay I'm there. Hell, if there's one thing Bethesda/ID shooters have had in the past decade is solid gunplay. Even the mediocre Rage is such a joy to play.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    TBH, if they can nail that gunplay I'm there. Hell, if there's one thing Bethesda/ID shooters have had in the past decade is solid gunplay. Even the mediocre Rage is such a joy to play.

Rage was a great game that basically amounted to a tech demo for Id Tech 5. Wolfenstein: The New Order went on to show just what that engine could do. I honestly am 2 sides of a coin. A teaser to their unveiling at E3 is such a cock tease for something they've already shown to a limited audience, but wont share. I imagine the E3 reveal will just be a more polished reveal of the things they showed at Quake Con. But damn it...put it all in my eye holes and get my demon murder boner throbbing.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Rage had fun gameplay, good graphics (with some issues), great voice acting and visual design

and a story written by Boring McBorington who forgot to add a plot until the last five minutes, and then didn't really add one even then.

I liked it overall, though.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    You know, while I'm typically not one to bitch about trailers for trailers; putting that out a month early seems dumb. Unless they have more planned (which given "worldwide reveal" I doubt that's the case) a 3 second clip of footage isn't going to sustain hype that long. You might have well of not put the thing out in the first place. :biggrin:

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, Rage was one part awesome post collapse shooter, one part insult to the intelligence of everyone who played it (let's mention a ton of stuff like mutants, bandits, The Authority, the asteroid, why anyone is doing anything, etc and not bother to actually explain anything with more than a handwave because gamers are dumb and won't care and are only here for the pow pow shooty stuff). Not only did it not have a plot, it didn't really have an ending either. You had to actually buy the Scorchers DLC to get a satisfying end to the game because I guess someone decided that it would be a good idea to release an id first person shooter without a final boss fight?

Mechanically though, it felt amazing and was a blast to play. I still need to roundup a co-op partner at some point to do the multiplayer missions with me.

So I guess the new Doom trailer trailer tells us that the new Doom will have:

1.) Super Shotguns
    2.) Revenants
    3.) Guitars

I think we're off to an ok start.

That Revenant looks much closer to the original model they built for classic Doom back in the 90s:
    p38tsue.jpg

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You know, while I'm typically not one to bitch about trailers for trailers; putting that out a month early seems dumb. Unless they have more planned (which given "worldwide reveal" I doubt that's the case) a 3 second clip of footage isn't going to sustain hype that long. You might have well of not put the thing out in the first place. :biggrin:

Is it connected to Wolfenstein Old Blood at all? It'd kinda make sense if this teaser was hidden in that, and then that goddamn demo comes out next month.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Not as far as I know? Bethesda just put that up on their blog.

http://www.bethblog.com/

• Options
    LevantLevant Registered User regular
    Huh, just downloaded zDoom and I can see how half-assed the Steam version is now. This is my first time really playing through it.

• Options
    Levant wrote: »
    Huh, just downloaded zDoom and I can see how half-assed the Steam version is now. This is my first time really playing through it.

The Steam version of Doom is literally just the original game with a DOSBox wrapper. If you want original Doom but without having to deal with software from the 90s Chocolate Doom is your best bet.

zDoom is pretty nice, you can do things like hardware accelerated video and mouselook (including the ability to look up/down without distorting the image due to the 2.5D Doom engine), jumping/crouching (although these tend to break the difficulty of any .wads not designed for them), and other stuff, but the more features you add the farther you are getting from the original Doom experience.

The purist in me wants everyone to play through vanilla Doom from a DOS prompt using just a keyboard at least once, but honestly as long as you're having fun than it's all good.

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Levant wrote: »

The Steam version is in fact a legitimate way to legally purchase Doom though, and that's all you can really ask for.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I think the id titles are in good hands with Bethesda. They seem to be good at enhancing what made the old games great. They did wonders with Wolfenstein.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I think the id titles are in good hands with Bethesda. They seem to be good at enhancing what made the old games great. They did wonders with Wolfenstein.

Eh, I'd say that was more to do with the developers than the publisher.

• Options

I agree, but Bethesda is picking the right people.

• Options

I agree, but Bethesda is picking the right people.

They didn't really pick here, though; id was already working on Doom 4 when they were bought.

• Options
    Yeah. Probably the real benefit from Bethesda here is that they give them plenty of time to develop the game.

I really hope id has learned to just expand on the atmosphere of Doom and not re-imagine it. Specifically, it has to have a certain level of pulp and camp to it.

It seems like they are moving in that direction this time.

• Options
    Well, at least now I can say I've beaten Doom (Chapter 4 withstanding). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Options
    Is there a way you can play other WADs through zDoom and still have the Steam overlay enabled?

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Brutal Doom v20 is out today guys. RIP AND TEAR.

(But not out yet, 10 PM UTC)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I'm more excited for Brutal Doom v20 than I am for the new Doom game.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    No map pack though, which is a shame.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to replay Evilution with the new version of Brutal. It's been a while since I went through that. Also, holy crow that changelog is massive.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Double assault rifles is so fucking good!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Going to download the fuck out of this when I get home tonight, oh yes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    Do you need to own ultimate doom to play this or what? Don't really want to pay $5 bucks...

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    You need to own Doom or Doom 2 in some compacity to play this. It's a Doom mod.

• Options
    Butcher wrote: »
    Do you need to own ultimate doom to play this or what? Don't really want to pay $5 bucks...

Yes you need to own a copy of Doom, Ultimate Doom, Doom II or Final Doom to play this. (Actually, I'm not sure if this works with Final Doom)

Doom II is probably the recommended one.

• Options

Well uhh, it's a mod for Doom, so ideally you would have a copy of Doom, yeah. I mean it's pretty old at this point, so kinda let that dictate how you feel about paying for a copy I guess.

If you've made it 22 years without buying a single copy of Doom at some point than I would be pretty comfortable calling you a statistical outlier.

• Options

Well uhh, it's a mod for Doom, so ideally you would have a copy of Doom, yeah. I mean it's pretty old at this point, so kinda let that dictate how you feel about paying for a copy I guess.

If you've made it 22 years without buying a single copy of Doom at some point than I would be pretty comfortable calling you a statistical outlier.

The CD's are lying around somewhere, no way in hell I'm digging them up. Guess I'll just buy Doom 2 on steam.

• Options
    I'm incredibly confused on how to get this to work. I bought Doom 2 on steam and have the .pk3 brutal doom file, but when I launch Doom 2 it just starts the regular game.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    /////// INSTALLATION GUIDE

1) Download and install Zandronum (http://zandronum.com/download) (if you don't know how to setup this sourceport, just check it's tutorials)
    2) Copy brutalv20.pk3 to Zandronum's folder.
    3) Drag and drop brutalv20.pk3 over zandronum.exe.
    If you are using Linux or Mac, and can't drag and drop files, download Zdoom Launcher (http://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    You need to tell zandronum where doom2.wad is.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    It's much easier to move DOOM2.WAD to the Zandronum/GZdoom directory and run it that way. A sourceport needs literally nothing else from the classic Doom directories.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

I have never bought a copy of Doom. I only ever had the shareware versions.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I'm sure DOOM will be getting a good discount in the Steam Summer Sale in a few days and that would be a bloody excellent time to remedy that.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

I'm sure DOOM will be getting a good discount in the Steam Summer Sale in a few days and that would be a bloody excellent time to remedy that.

Ehh I barely have time right now to keep up with new games, and a baby due in August. I doubt I will have any time to be going back to 25 year old games, sadly.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Your loss. Doom is still one of the best FPS around.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

Ehh I barely have time right now to keep up with new games, and a baby due in August. I doubt I will have any time to be going back to 25 year old games, sadly.

The obvious solution is to teach the baby to play Doom!

Funny story though, I was like 9 or 10 when I first got into Doom. It had fairly recently come out and shareware copies were all over the shelves at Staples. My mother had brought me a copy and one of my first experiences with troubleshooting PCs was freeing up enough memory in autoexec.bat and config.sys to play the game with no sound and no mouse support on the computer we had at the time. My mother even played, and got as far as the last bosses of the first episode, and I think she actually managed to beat them.

Unfortunately because I was exposed to Doom at such a young age, I was influenced by Satan and now do his bidding. Hey that reminds me, you're not particularly attached to your soul, are you...?

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I enjoy the hell out of Doom, even to this day. The mechanics are still rock solid and just adding mouselook makes the gameplay viable in 2015, IMO.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »
    Your loss. Doom is still one of the best FPS around.

It's not like I've never played it...

LxX6eco.jpg