As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Yo, dog. I heard you like Doom.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbnfYBFKD1g

That is super cool. Shame it only plays a pseudo version of Doom instead of the full thing. Beating Doom INSIDE of Doom would be something I'd be totally down with.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Dog mode.

iddqdog

• LunchboxV3LunchboxV3 Mechanical Maniac Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    I feel so old guys.

axemblack.gifaxemyellow.gifaxemred.gifaxempink.gifaxemgreen.gif
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    You guys have giving me the itch to dig out Quake 1 again...

As far as the reboot goes, I hope it happens an I hope that new id finds clever ways to tell a story without it slowing the game down.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I would love to play a game with that kind of weird imagery going on.

Bloodborne.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    This is so cool, an Arcade inside Doom, Turkey Puncher and all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ra2PAdIPBE

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Ok Quake 4 beaten. I kinda wish I played this back then. It was a nice shooter in the end. Well...decent shooter. Stuff that kinda bothered me in the end was...what was the point of the Hyperblaster. Most of the time any other gun was a better option. Kinda the same thing with the Lightning Gun.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I am just so happy weapon wheels are coming back as things in FPS. Weapon wheels give me life.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    I liked the lightning gun once you got the upgrade that lets it arc between enemies, but I'm a sucker for that specific mechanic.

I am just so happy weapon wheels are coming back as things in FPS. Weapon wheels give me life.

I can't agree harder. I LOVE that I can switch out guns depending on the situation. Even if most of the time Grenade Launcher was the right answer.

Anyways, I'm gonna boot up Quake 2 now. Any required mods that I need for the Steam version? I think it's missing music too right?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Anyways, I'm gonna boot up Quake 2 now. Any required mods that I need for the Steam version? I think it's missing music too right?

There's a link in the steam forum for the Ultimate Quake II Patch that is pretty much just a one click thing to do some graphical updates and add the music back, but I don't know if the guy has kept it updated so the version of KMQuake2 that it uses might be outdated at this point.

If you just want to play Quake 2 right now without dicking around with tons of stuff (and want it to integrate with Steam) than it's a super easy option though.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

I can't agree harder. I LOVE that I can switch out guns depending on the situation. Even if most of the time Grenade Launcher was the right answer.

I like R1Q2 and R1GL a lot.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    l09gen99mxr7.jpg
    Helloooooo QuakeCon!

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Call me angry smuckers 'cause I'm mad jelly right now.

Nice. Enjoy the show!

Man, if there's a Doom 4 demo, you have to give us impressions! Super jealous!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Seeing your online handle printed out like that made me giggle like a motherfucker.

JtgVX0H.png
    Oh I'll definitely give impressions, no worries there. And yeah, it's a little surreal seeing it printed out like that. Say it enough times though and it loses all meaning, as it did for me years ago.

I'll say this, things are much different than the last time I atttended 14 years ago.

Steam | Twitch
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Oh I'll definitely give impressions, no worries there. And yeah, it's a little surreal seeing it printed out like that. Say it enough times though and it loses all meaning, as it did for me years ago.

I'll say this, things are much different than the last time I atttended 14 years ago.

God damn kids get off my lawn?

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Have they, at any point, talked about the length of the single player campaign?

I know the original games had insanely low par times or whatever, but things have changed a bit. How long was Doom 3's campaign?

Doom 3's was too long. It takes about....12 hours? I just felt it was a slog but it picks up once you get to Hell.

Oh yeah, I finished the first Doom! Well, the first three episodes (which got me a "The End" screen, so I assume the fourth episode was something added in later). I was not expecting the big cyber-spider to be the final boss. I thought it would be the devil.

I'm a little ways into Doom II now, and I feel like the level design is worse, but the new weapons and enemies are great.

Doom 2...I think once you hit level 20 it picks up. And yeah, OG Doom was just 3 episodes.

Yeah, Episode 4 "Thy Flesh Consumed" was released as part of "The Ultimate Doom" retail package, about a year and a half after Doom had been released.

Doom 2 has more puzzley level design and that can break up the action some.

Oooo look at the purty...

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_doom-29004-3000_0005.jpg

God I'm so hyped

edited July 2015
    Mmmmm. Can't wait to see this Saturday.

(yeah that's right)

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Oooo look at the purty...

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_doom-29004-3000_0005.jpg

God I'm so hyped

I like this screenshot. Gives me a Doom 64 vibe.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    i can run doom 2 with brutal doom right
    omg

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    i can run doom 2 with brutal doom right
    omg

Yup.

Brutal Doom works with any Doom levels I've thrown at it.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

There's a link in the steam forum for the Ultimate Quake II Patch that is pretty much just a one click thing to do some graphical updates and add the music back, but I don't know if the guy has kept it updated so the version of KMQuake2 that it uses might be outdated at this point.
    What the fuck they removed the music from Q2??? Damn that shit was smooth as could be, me and a buddy had a band that basically just played Q2 tracks, back in school.
    Sonic Mayhem4lyfe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWW-U9pdN5Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fzWUB2N_jI
    Doom 3's was too long. It takes about....12 hours? I just felt it was a slog but it picks up once you get to Hell.
    I wouldn't say it's too long, but I get why you'd get that impression. Hell was actually he low watermark for me, so I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't end the game but let you back onto the base. And the level design afterward was really great onwards too, a space station gradually sinking into nightmare, Event Horizon-style. I loved it, great goddamn game!

Panda4You on
    All the times I've tried to start Doom 3 and wondered why I stopped playing before, it has been been right when they give you the PDA and I realize I'm going to have to rifle through texts to get passwords and all enthusiasm drains out of me.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Quake 1 was actually better than I remembered. Still, it was tweaked with DirectQ.

I switched the filtering on textures to point. Pixelated textures look the best on this one. Keep it old school.

Early Tomb Raider games are also like that. The textures are not made for filtering.

Krathoon on
    Digitally distributed copies of Quake and Quake 2 come without the music because it was on the CD as redbook audio files. That's why you can play them in CD players.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    All the times I've tried to start Doom 3 and wondered why I stopped playing before, it has been been right when they give you the PDA and I realize I'm going to have to rifle through texts to get passwords and all enthusiasm drains out of me.
    What? That's great! :) I love little story expositions, especially in an in-game format such as that.
    Nice contrast to the ballbust action most of the rest of the game consists of, too.

Panda4You on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »
    What? That's great! :) I love little story expositions, especially in an in-game format such as that.
    Nice contrast to the ballbust action most of the rest of the game consists of, too.

it's not well placed at all though. I mean, I'm a log junkie, I read every single thing in System Shock 1 and 2, and Deus Ex and so on...
    In Doom 3 it's a fucking hassle, it's shoehorned and completely inadequate for the game

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Doom 3 is like if System Shock 2 was dumb as hell.

edited July 2015
    Yeah, I just grab a FAQ/Steam Guide and ignore those Logs.

Also...this is my first time playing Quake 2 and holy shit. So...the levels are interconnected? I didn't expect this. Also the gunplay is so good...and the game is sooo speedy. I looooooooooove this.

EDIT: Also the music IS GREAT!

lionheart_m on