As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    It's a real shame more people didn't try the Doom 3 Expansion.

The later half of that campaign got really fast paced and jam packed with monsters.

Plus is was just about as long as the original campaign.

Then again I feel like Doom 3 proper gets a lot of undeserved flack still, it might not have been the revolution people were looking for, but it was a solid game in it's own right, and that was good enough for me.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I want to try and finish that game. Doom 3

Are complaints it was slow? Cause that why I stopped. Running no gunning?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    The amount of area style never ending stream of monsters Serious Sam style gameplay I see in the single player footage worries me. It seems like a trick you could pull off a few times in the single player, but the amount of footage makes me think that it's a decent bulk of the game.

they said it was a thing that happens in specific areas ie those they designated as "skate parks"

the rest of the time is spent on doom 1 style exploration where ur wandering around, finding shit in environment and occasionally bopping lost imps

obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Wow. I know everyone has their opinions and all about the reboot, but holy shit. That is exactly what I wanted out of a new Doom game.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Is that in game music?

Holy shit....holy shit....GOTY contender right here....

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I will often find myself going "I should really get through Doom 3, what keeps stopping me?" and so I start playing and then they hand me the PDA and I go "oh right".

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I will often find myself going "I should really get through Doom 3, what keeps stopping me?" and so I start playing and then they hand me the PDA and I go "oh right".

If you are honestly that adverse to having to listen to audiologs than just go to Gamefaqs or whatever and get a list of all of the doorcodes and then you never have to listen to them.

Alternately, the audiologs in Doom 3 were recorded in high quality with no background noise so that the player could put down the PDA and listen to them broadcast while playing and still hear everything clearly.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    Actually it kinda does!

Truly, we live in the future.

I imagine if any of the source ports were multi threaded it would handle it exceptionally well.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
    The amount of area style never ending stream of monsters Serious Sam style gameplay I see in the single player footage worries me. It seems like a trick you could pull off a few times in the single player, but the amount of footage makes me think that it's a decent bulk of the game.

they said it was a thing that happens in specific areas ie those they designated as "skate parks"

the rest of the time is spent on doom 1 style exploration where ur wandering around, finding shit in environment and occasionally bopping lost imps

Yeah just saw them explain that in a gameplay video. Back on board!

Honestly have no idea if I can run the game, mind you. The only machine I currently have access to is this 2015 Macbook Pro, which has a Radeon R9 M370X. I figure I can try it out and fire off a refund if it's a no go.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Wow. I know everyone has their opinions and all about the reboot, but holy shit. That is exactly what I wanted out of a new Doom game.

I miss the screaming from the Doom 3 berserk powerup, but otherwise everything in that video is perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W3Wmz0aR0o

JtgVX0H.png
    The plasma gun in Doom 3 also sounds great,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MKBY3bQJBM

(Audio is kind of distorted in that video but it is the best I could find)

Is that in game music?

Holy shit....holy shit....GOTY contender right here....

M I C K G O R D O N B O Y S

obF2Wuw.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    The shotgun looked kind of anemic though. which is one one of my biggest worries, really.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I just played Doom 64: Absolution in Virtual Desktop. Amazing having classic twitch shooters wrapped around your face! I had to turn my head to look at my health and armor. Going to tweak the FoV a bit and make it super playable.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Pretty sure gzdoom has native Rift support now.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

Is it actual VR or is it like Virtual Desktop where it just puts a giant curved screen inches from your face?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    august wrote: »

Is it actual VR or is it like Virtual Desktop where it just puts a giant curved screen inches from your face?

No idea, but check this out.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    The shotgun looked kind of anemic though. which is one one of my biggest worries, really.

its the combat shotgun I think, which has a bunch of fire modes, the super shotgun definitely sounds meaty

I just played Doom 64: Absolution in Virtual Desktop. Amazing having classic twitch shooters wrapped around your face! I had to turn my head to look at my health and armor. Going to tweak the FoV a bit and make it super playable.

I think the big problem with that would be motion sickness. Most likely have to add some kind of focal point to the game to make sure running around at 90mph didn't get you sick.

So I have been playing Doom II... I guess I remember this, and yet I forgot this. That game does not want you to win. I'm on the verge of just running out of ammo all the time.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    So I have been playing Doom II... I guess I remember this, and yet I forgot this. That game does not want you to win. I'm on the verge of just running out of ammo all the time.

i found so long as u remember to use the ordinary 1 shot shotgun a shitload u are gud on ze ammunishuns

obF2Wuw.png
    edited May 2016
    Yeah, so for fun I looked up speed runs on nightmare.. Wow, what people do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-7Ig-1FTiE

And 19:10 - Rocket boost through level? Wow.

DyasAlure on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    There's something about Mick Gordon's audio mixing that's just such a satisfying listen. It was the same for Wolfenstein and Killer Instinct, that depth of sound that some other composers really lack in their music production

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Yeah, so for fun I looked up speed runs on nightmare.. Wow, what people do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-7Ig-1FTiE

And 19:10 - Rocket boost through level? Wow.

I just did a recent run through regular Doom episode 2. And yeah, it's more about Shotguning stuff. I mean, yeah every now and then I use the Chain Gun/Plasma but it's all about that shotgun.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Okay I haven't really been following the development of this game but I watched 15 minutes of gameplay and ordered it for Xbone on a whim

The last doom I played was Doom 2

Lel

• UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Yeah Doom 4 looks perfect to me. I can't figure out what the naysayers have a problem with, aside from it just not being a 1:1 recreation of Doom 2. Can't believe we're only 10 days away and it's been 12 goddamn years since Doom 3. It's astonishing how good that game still looks with some mods.

Uhtred on
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    My budget allocation is probably only going to let me get Uncharted 4 for a while, but that just means that I can wait for the Steam sale this time around.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Probably the wrong thread, but I never liked Uncharted's MP. Something really felt off.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Apparently you get a fee copy of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood if your preorder doom on Steam. Old Blood was decent, but lacks a lot of the charm that made The New Order stand out.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Uhtred wrote: »
    Yeah Doom 4 looks perfect to me. I can't figure out what the naysayers have a problem with, aside from it just not being a 1:1 recreation of Doom 2. Can't believe we're only 10 days away and it's been 12 goddamn years since Doom 3. It's astonishing how good that game still looks with some mods.

Mainly it's that I'm not really interested in a new Doom game. What I love about Doom doesn't really translate well to a modern game. I love how stupidly fast it is. I love how primitive the graphics are. I love the simple interplay of the mechanics. I love that there is still a modding and level editing community that's going strong decades after release, pumping out inventive maps and mods that have highly polished mechanics. Check out Reelism or Back to Saturn. For a variety of reasons that basically boil down to the times are a-changing this kind of game just doesn't get made any more. And a big part of Doom's community appeal is the simplicity of the game. Small groups and solo developers can do huge things with the smart mechanics and open source nature of the game.

It's not so much that I am a naysayer of the new Doom. It just doesn't offer me anything I want in a Doom game. I don't hate the new Doom, or think it's stupid or ruining Doom or whatever. It's not like I'm worried that the new game will displace the originals or anything. It'll probably barely register in the Doom circles that I sort of pay halfassed attention to.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Apparently you get a fee copy of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood if your preorder doom on Steam. Old Blood was decent, but lacks a lot of the charm that made The New Order stand out.

Agreed, it was worth a play but The New Order is a way better experience.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    Tempted to pre-order but I am also curious about what reviewers will have to say.

Does the new Steam refund policy apply to pre-orders as well?

• UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Uhtred wrote: »

Mainly it's that I'm not really interested in a new Doom game. What I love about Doom doesn't really translate well to a modern game. I love how stupidly fast it is. I love how primitive the graphics are. I love the simple interplay of the mechanics. I love that there is still a modding and level editing community that's going strong decades after release, pumping out inventive maps and mods that have highly polished mechanics. Check out Reelism or Back to Saturn. For a variety of reasons that basically boil down to the times are a-changing this kind of game just doesn't get made any more. And a big part of Doom's community appeal is the simplicity of the game. Small groups and solo developers can do huge things with the smart mechanics and open source nature of the game.

It's not so much that I am a naysayer of the new Doom. It just doesn't offer me anything I want in a Doom game. I don't hate the new Doom, or think it's stupid or ruining Doom or whatever. It's not like I'm worried that the new game will displace the originals or anything. It'll probably barely register in the Doom circles that I sort of pay halfassed attention to.

Well, at the very least it's doing everything everyone wanted Doom 3 to do, although I still like that game (been replaying it with the redux mod, atmosphere is still so good).

The only issues I have with Doom 3 is that there is low connectivity in the maps, and the changes to infighting brought down the chaos factor quite a bit. I pretty much love everything else about it, especially that pulpy 50s tweak to the art style. Everything has a bit of that Drive-In Sci Fi Movie feel to it. I think that was lost on a lot of people though, which is why I believe they've cranked the knob so hard towards a more cartoonish style (which I think totally fits too).

But even though Doom 3 shipped with great mod support and tools and the engine became open source as was traditional at ID, the increased technological capability carried an additional workload and knowledge requirement. So even though the community has done a lot of really cool things with Doom 3 it just can't compete with the all of the community output for the previous games. And I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that sort of support from ID now that Bethesda calls the shots. They won't even license idtech for other developers, so I figure we'll never see the kind of community support that ID used to deliver.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

I got to the part where they're talking about floppy disks being "the little square things that look like a save icon" and had an incredible urge to tell someone to get the hell off my lawn.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I really like Doom 3.

It's a tense action horror shooter.

But it is not the hyper violent mass demon killing game that was Doom 1 and 2.

The new Doom is MUCH closer to the original compared to Doom 3 but that does not make Doom 3 bad.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    No game will ever get the amount of mod support people seem to be expecting again. Businesses don't operate that way anymore. It's 2016. That's not a Bethesda thing, that's an "everybody" thing. If people were honestly expecting that, then they haven't paid attention to the games industry for the last fifteen years. If anything, SnapMap seems to be id giving people everything that they can in order to make custom experiences.