As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Fun discovery: Siphon Greandes with the Equipment upgrade rune?

They can siphon armor. Lots and lots of armor. (Like 30 odd just off a single pinky)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    After banging my head against the final(?) battle in the VEGA Central Processing level on UV for what feels like 10 hrs, I'm seriously considering just lowering the difficulty, so I can just get on with it. That's kind of a bummer.

e: Of course, 5 mins after posting this, I complete the section with ease. Go figure.

Hakunin on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Is it weird that watching this clip inspired me to start watching Seinfeld from season 1 on Hulu? It's been awhile and I've been looking for something to marathon while coding.

Also that is the most god damn 90s thing ever.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I recently got Strife: Veteran's Edition off gog.com. I've never played it before and it's fairly interesting. I can see how this could have been amazing for people back when it was first released and were getting tired of Doom's gameplay.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Having a demo only be available for the duration of E3 is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.

id is dead, man.

It's available permanently now.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Finally finished nu-Doom after rebuilding my computer after Asus took its sweet time sending backing my motherboard RMA for several weeks. Super fun game!

Although, it did get hilariously and stupidly easy after getting runes for infinite ammo and armor-siphoning grenades, and you can go around just pumping everything with the railgun with abandon. Kind of trivializes a lot of the game's combat mechanics and flow. It's still entertaining enough where I'd probably try a harder difficulty run though!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Who ARE these demons?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Doom is $35 on steam right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/379720/

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Hakunin wrote: »
    After banging my head against the final(?) battle in the VEGA Central Processing level on UV for what feels like 10 hrs, I'm seriously considering just lowering the difficulty, so I can just get on with it. That's kind of a bummer.

e: Of course, 5 mins after posting this, I complete the section with ease. Go figure.

This level is eating my lunch right now, easily the biggest (only?) difficulty spike I've come across. I've died maybe 10 times, where before this my total deaths were under 5.

Way too cramped, way too many baddies.

edit: complain = finish on next try :P

Renzo on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    edit: complain = finish on next try :P

This honestly works everytime

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    The other thing that worked was the BFG, which I hadn't yet used. So that was fun.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Beat the game, it was pretty rad

DOOM II Hell on Earth please now and thank you

I played through the classic levels you unlock, and there's still something they have that this new one doesn't

I think the new one is maybe too cluttered, and feels less isolated ? Like in the classic I feel all alone and hopeless, an ever growing sense of dread, and the skyboxes are so bizarre but it works, I feel stranded. New Doom there's just so much stimuli and people talk to you sometimes, and I feel like an unstoppable murdermachine that doesn't afraid of anything. It's basically the same difference from original Diablo to Diablo 3. Original Doom and Diablo were slower and more deliberate and put more into less

I still love D3 and new Doom, but just an observation

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Be careful of what you wish for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp3nDzYivDc

• Options
    Man, it probably would have been shitty, and I wouldn't trade it for the current Doom, but I would love to visit the darkest timeline where Doom became a CoD also-ran.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Playing this myself...Pissed that my BFG kinda just disappeared on me after i shot it once. I just found out its on its own hotkey, but thats just stupid...I'm playing with an xbox controller and no buttons are mapped to bring it up? Also, Is it normal that I'm not able to get every pickup on my first playthrough? I've found several areas that i just could not get into and then the level locked doors behind me so i couldnt go back later.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Bought the game on the Steam sale this weekend.

In short, they absolutely nailed it. Loving every part of this game right now. Even the multiplayer which folks pooped all over is really fun.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    Playing this myself...Pissed that my BFG kinda just disappeared on me after i shot it once. I just found out its on its own hotkey, but thats just stupid...I'm playing with an xbox controller and no buttons are mapped to bring it up? Also, Is it normal that I'm not able to get every pickup on my first playthrough? I've found several areas that i just could not get into and then the level locked doors behind me so i couldnt go back later.

I played on PS4, and there was definitely a dedicated button for the BFG as well as the chainsaw.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

The BFG button should be Y by default on an Xbox contoller

• Options
    You mean its the same as the chainsaw button? I just press it and it cycles between the saw and the bfg? Thats silly...

• Options
    You mean its the same as the chainsaw button? I just press it and it cycles between the saw and the bfg? Thats silly...

Two different buttons.

Look at the button map, it should clear things up.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Chainsaw is X, isn't it?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I know i tried all the buttons, none of them brought up the BFG. I'm playing on PC with an xbox controller tho, so i probably have to map it somewhere.

• Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Chainsaw should be X, BFG should be Y.

...just from what I've seen, though. I haven't actually played it. *stares at bank account*

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm playing on PC with an xbox controller tho

why

• Options
    Playing this myself...Pissed that my BFG kinda just disappeared on me after i shot it once. I just found out its on its own hotkey, but thats just stupid...I'm playing with an xbox controller and no buttons are mapped to bring it up?

I actually liked having it as its own button, because that became the Oh Shit button, I didn't have to worry about pulling up the gun wheel and finding it and slowing down the combat

Also for Xbox controller, Knuckles is best control scheme
    Also, Is it normal that I'm not able to get every pickup on my first playthrough? I've found several areas that i just could not get into and then the level locked doors behind me so i couldnt go back later.

It is possible to get all the pickups on first playthrough, but yeah you can go through a point of no return on a level and miss something

but once you finish the level you can go back to Mission Select and replay the level to get it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I'm playing on PC with an xbox controller tho

why

I've heard that people who own the Elite controller were preferentially running Doom on PC or XBO
    As someone who recently got hands on one I can say I'm not too surprised

• Options
    I was pretty good about finding most to all of the secrets in a level by keeping a sharp eye out, but if you fast track the mapping/secret/exploration upgrades in your suit (after ammo upgrades of course) finding them in the later levels is easy as pie (and you can always come back to earlier ones to pick up anything you missed).

The only stuff that isn't mapped are the levers and entrances to the classic levels, but if you've played a decent amount of Doom/Doom II you can usually tell where the entrance is just by looking at your automap (the classic level sections stand out like a sore thumb), and the levers are usually fairly close to them.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Only now am I playing Wolfenstein NWO. The combat is pretty good. I'll have to reconsider ignoring Doom.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Only now am I playing Wolfenstein NWO. The combat is pretty good. I'll have to reconsider ignoring Doom.

... you know that Wolfenstein and Doom were developed by two totally different developers, right? Also there's a demo for Doom.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I found NWO's combat to be a slow, overly-simplistic slog with stacks of bullet sponges later in the game that frequently ignored multiple headshots, with the added bonus of a shitty max ammo on everything even though you can carry a thousand pounds of guns because the devs want to force you to switch weapons frequently rather than designing them to be useful and effective on their own.

I found DOOM to be superior to NWO in virtually every single way, even the music, which is one of the only things I feel NWO actually did pretty dang well.

• Options
    The New Order, not New World Order

/pedantic

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Haha, whoops.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh I kind of disagree with that

Well, at the very least in the music department. DOOM has a lot of good nostalgic beats but having actual Meshuggah involved and tearing up shit in a Nazi mech carries better story beats. TNO also has better quiet moments carried by plot, which is unfair to DOOM (which is linked by very lean exploration and pseudo platforming sequences) but is the nature of the beast, and optional stealth sequences give players creative freedom to pace the game however they like.

DOOM may have more combat depth but overall TNO carried more breadth and I'm a total sucker for the Tarantino-scented tone of the narrative, which kept me going from start to finish in long continuous play sessions. I feel like I have to play DOOM in shorter bursts and step away from the game for a while.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Like, running around playing gurillia warfare on a hell conquered earth sounds kinda fun.

But man, don't make Doom play like CoD.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I found NWO's combat to be a slow, overly-simplistic slog with stacks of bullet sponges later in the game that frequently ignored multiple headshots, with the added bonus of a shitty max ammo on everything even though you can carry a thousand pounds of guns because the devs want to force you to switch weapons frequently rather than designing them to be useful and effective on their own.

I found DOOM to be superior to NWO in virtually every single way, even the music, which is one of the only things I feel NWO actually did pretty dang well.

Kind of odd those are the game traits you mention when Doom has plenty of enemies that take a pounding, and has intentionally limited ammo counts for the guns, at least initially.

Unlike Bioshock Infinite, I never felt strapped for ammo in Wolfenstein, and I beat the thing on I Am Death Incarnate. I sometimes had to switch styles a little, or stop using the double shotgun for a while, but I always had options.

Then again, I used stealth whenever reasonably possible, and I learned in a hard school. The first half of Crysis gives you somewhere around 300 rounds for your SCAR for about half the game. Made it a point of pride that I still had rounds to spare on Delta. That was fun.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    The ammo limits in nuDoom are pretty ridiculous. If you don't prioritize ammo increases in Doom you will be limited to 20 shotgun rounds.

Original Doom had a limit of 50, which bumped up to 100 once you found a backpack (the first of which can be found in the beginning of the second level in the game), for comparison.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I would love for Doom 2016 the Sequel to be set on earth, as long as the level design and feel is exactly the same as this one

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh I kind of disagree with that

Well, at the very least in the music department. DOOM has a lot of good nostalgic beats but having actual Meshuggah involved and tearing up shit in a Nazi mech carries better story beats. TNO also has better quiet moments carried by plot, which is unfair to DOOM (which is linked by very lean exploration and pseudo platforming sequences) but is the nature of the beast, and optional stealth sequences give players creative freedom to pace the game however they like.

DOOM may have more combat depth but overall TNO carried more breadth and I'm a total sucker for the Tarantino-scented tone of the narrative, which kept me going from start to finish in long continuous play sessions. I feel like I have to play DOOM in shorter bursts and step away from the game for a while.

Wait wait wait... Wolfenstein had Meshuggah working on the soundtrack?!

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I would love for Doom 2016 the Sequel to be set on earth, as long as the level design and feel is exactly the same as this one

A post-demon infestation Earth, like the post-demon infestation Mars, could give level designers plenty of leeway.