As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The amount of time I kill myself by shooting a red barrel is embarrassing....

You can, IIRC, make yourself immune to them eventually.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Apparently they showed off some footage of the original Doom 4 concept that got scrapped. I'll see if I can find a link.

EDIT: apparently I was misinformed; they showed off early prototypes of version we wound up getting.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Saturday afternoon after a big patch during a double XP weekend and I can't even find people on a couple of these playlists. Good grief.

I assume you're playing PC?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    Saturday afternoon after a big patch during a double XP weekend and I can't even find people on a couple of these playlists. Good grief.

I assume you're playing PC?

Yup

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    There seems to be enough people playing on xbox. I never have to wait too long. I just don't understand why there aren't more players though, especially on PC. It's just pure simple fps multiplayer fun, like in the early days of doom, quake, UT, etc. Just hop on and shoot. No learning how to fly helicopters or hiding and waiting for your health to regenerate. I do wish they just let you pick up weapons, rather than do the loadout thing, but it's not a huge deal. But going back to the early days of fps multiplayer is what I thought a lot of people have been asking for a long time, and now that a game finally gives us that, no one is playing?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    There seems to be enough people playing on xbox. I never have to wait too long. I just don't understand why there aren't more players though, especially on PC. It's just pure simple fps multiplayer fun, like in the early days of doom, quake, UT, etc. Just hop on and shoot. No learning how to fly helicopters or hiding and waiting for your health to regenerate. I do wish they just let you pick up weapons, rather than do the loadout thing, but it's not a huge deal. But going back to the early days of fps multiplayer is what I thought a lot of people have been asking for a long time, and now that a game finally gives us that, no one is playing?

PC multiplayer has a lot more competition. Any game scrambling for a share of the player base has to compete against MOBAs, CS, and Hearthstone in addition to the competition it would have on consoles.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

No one is playing because they expected more from a Doom game than just a tired version of the same thing we've gotten year after year with every new first person shooter that doesn't even live up to the standard of a game that came out over two decades ago.

Loadouts were a stupid idea, the only remotely interesting thing about nuDoom's multiplayer are the demon runes but those are just glorified powerups. It's basically [INSERT GENERIC MILSIM SHOOTER HERE] with plasma guns instead of HMGs and in Hell instead of Generic Middle Eastern City. Setting aside the stupid decision to use babby's first mapmaker Snapmap as a replacement for actual modding tools... I mean, they actually launched a Doom game without actual FFA, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. A Doom game without deathmatch! Who does that?

It's unfortunate that such an excellent singleplayer game was stapled onto such a weak multiplayer game, but I guess this is what happens when you farm out 2/3 of your game to Halo devs :so_raven:

• Options
    DOOM Hotfix - 8/15
    Today, we've released a hotfix for DOOM that will resolve some outstanding issues. We recommend closing and reopening the game for the changes to take effect.

Below is a list of all the resolved issues found patch:

SnapMap
    Fixed an issue where crashing occurred when performing undo/redo
    Fixed an issue where the “Find Open Match” tile only found maps hosted by friends
    Fixed an issue with the ‘Keep Inventory on Respawn’ SnapMap setting where players weren’t respawning with full ammo.
    Fixed an issue where the game could crash when loading Featured Map “1-4P Ultra DOOM Zombies RPG”
    Fixed an issue with the SnapMap AI Path Point where setting speed to ‘Sprint’ stopped AI pathing.”
    Multiplayer
    Fixed an issue where the MOTD (message of the day) displayed outdated images upon first load
    Fixed an issue where crashing occurred when attempting to load an Unto the Evil multiplayer map while the DLC was still installing
    Multiplayer Weapon Rebalance: Week of 8/15
    Later this week, we’ll be releasing a multiplayer weapon rebalance update to adjust the damage output of select weapons. We wanted to share these changes with you so you know what to look for when the update goes live. Since launch, we’ve been reviewing your feedback about the weapons in multiplayer and we’ll continue to do so with each update. We appreciate all of the feedback, fan-created surveys, and general discussion you’ve provided. We hope you’ll love the adjustments we’re making this week, and we’ll certainly continue to keep an eye out for your impressions about this update. (There will not be downtime for this update, but we will let you know once the changes are live.)

Here are the rebalance changes you can look for later this week:

Rocket Launcher
    The last pass on this made it very spam friendly and decreased skill requirements. Based on extensive feedback, we have reduced the ammo count and also reigned in the splash and detonate damage values to place more emphasis on control and skill when using the weapon.

Heavy Assault Rifle
    We have increased the damage, reduced the spread increase when zoomed, and removed the additional movement penalty when using the scope. We really like how it’s feeling now, and this should make the weapon more competitive in both the hip-fire and zoom modes.

Hellshot
    This weapon now has an increased fire rate and does more damage when hitting enemies in the body. We have also bumped up the burn damage for the weapon mod behavior. This should bring the Hell Shot in line with the other precision weapons in the game, and a gun you’ll be wanting to equip more often.

Shotguns
    The last pass on adjusting the switch timings for the shotguns fixed the issue with a loadout exploit but also removed dual shotguns as a viable loadout for close-range engagements. We got a lot of feedback here, and we’ve reduced the length of the switch timings so that this loadout is viable again.

Regen
    We adjusted the amount of health received per tick so that players have better survivability

Machine gun changes sound nice. I'm guessing the rocket launcher will go back into disuse.

• Options
    Looks like they're going to show off Deathmatch and Arcade mode next week.

• Options
    Where's more of that excellent single player at already :/

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Where's more of that excellent single player at already :/

It took like a year to get Wolfenstein: the Old Blood after we got the New Order.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Stop trying to make Doom MP a thing bruhs it ain't happening no one cares

(Apologies to the homie Undead Scottsman.)

• Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Stop trying to make Doom MP a thing bruhs it ain't happening no one cares

(Apologies to the homie Undead Scottsman.)

Nah, it's cool. I haven't touched it since like the start of August.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Arcade mode? I'm down for that.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That's kind of absolutely amazing

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    Man, I finally got around to finishing Doom single player. Wow, it's sooooo good. The combat is the perfect amount of new and old, and I love the way different enemies demand deferent approaches to combat. The fact that it is chock full of secrets and Easter eggs is just icing. I'm not a completionist, but it very much looks like I will Platinum this one. I even dig the extra lore they tossed in on how the different demons and environments came to be.

Speaking of secrets:
    I love how when you find the actual "Doomguy" collectible figure, he gives it a fist bump. Only one he does like that.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
  • Options
    Played a round. It's basically what you'd expect. I did have fun taking out fools left and right with an environmental trap. Anywho, here's the patch notes
    DOOM's Free Update 3 is now live! The new update includes the much requested multiplayer features including Deathmatch and the ability to set up private matches. Here are the full release notes for today's update.

Multiplayer

New Features
    Deathmatch – New Deathmatch free-for-all multiplayer mode now available.

Private Matches – Players are now able to create their own private matches in multiplayer. When setting up your matches, you can determine the modes, maps, length of play time, and other match settings.

Campaign

Fixes and Optimizations

Fixed an issue where exiting a Classic Map would cause the user to freeze on the Main Menu
    Fixed a progression blocking issue when reloading checkpoint in Titan's Realm while picking up yellow skull in crusher room.
    Fixed the Summoner and Pinky models not being visible under the Collectibles menu.
    Fixed a crash which occurred when reloading Security Switches checkpoint with DOOM Classic Weapon Pose enabled in the VEGA Central Processing
    Fixed cases of the Combat Shotgun Pop Rocket mod not tracking progress towards mastery.
    Fixed an issue where dying at the map transition and restarting the map in next level would put your character in a broken state
    Fixed an issue where turning on the Classic Weapon Pose during a weapon examination cut scene would cause a broken state
    Fixed Remote Detonation mastery not incrementing if the player first uses Stun Bomb on enemy targets.
    Fixed an animation issue where the Talisman Guards' legs would not move.
    Fixed an issue where Mission Select does not accurately reflect the in game status of Dead Man Stalking Challenge in Kadingir Sanctum.
    Various instability issues addressed.

SnapMap

Fixes and Optimizations

Improved general stability
    Undo/Redo no longer causes memory drops
    Anonymous players now are counted correctly in the map play counts
    AI Path Points now work properly when set to Sprint
    Browser sorting and empty browser are improved
    Weapon switch now has proper key bindings
    Empty Containers can now be picked up
    Weapon On Pick Up logic works when set to On Touched
    Clients are now stopped by Player Blocking Volumes
    Locked doors now properly display a “Locked” message
    Skull keys can be added and removed from Inventory
    Added “Manage by AI Conductor” setting to property settings of additional AI
    Ammo gained from picking up weapons works properly in all cases
    Powercore spawns properly when spawned a map start
    Lost Souls work properly with AI Path points
    Give Armor works properly in all conditions

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
  • Options
    I really wish I didn't have to download over 8+ gig (collectively) of pointless MP updates to this game.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I really wish I didn't have to download over 8+ gig (collectively) of pointless MP updates to this game.

Singleplayer and Multiplayer should have been separate executables. There's no reason why I should be downloading huge updates for a multiplayer component that is worse than the one we had two decades ago when the only reason I have the game installed anymore is to fire up a singleplayer level and mindlessly blast demons every once in a while.

It's just another example of how nu id really thought that the multiplayer portion would be significantly more popular than it is, they probably assumed that anyone who still had the game installed at this point had kept it installed for multi.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    I dunno, I'm not sure how accurate is to insinuate that this is the result of some huge miscalculation by id when it's pretty much the industry standard.

Like, out of the 380 games on my Steam list, only five games break out the multiplayer into it's own thing. (Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, The Ship, and SiN.) and the most recent one of those was released in like 2006.

• Options
    How many of those games are 65+GB?

• Options
    edited September 2016
    How many of those games are 65+GB?

*shrug* Not something I really keep track of.

How many 65+ games break out the multiplayer vs 65+ games that don't? Hell, how many modern releases do that, period, no matter the size?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I honestly don't have any other 65+GB games to use as a comparison. Next in line I think is Just Cause 3 at around 53GB, but that's singleplayer only.

• Options
    I mean, don't get me wrong, it'd be a good idea. It's just not something I see anyone doing, so acting like id are the dummies seems like missing the forest for the trees.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    I mean, don't get me wrong, it'd be a good idea. It's just not something I see anyone doing, so acting like id are the dummies seems like missing the forest for the trees.

No, id are dummies. They had huge expectations for Doom multiplayer (including lots of DLC plans), and not long after release its playercount dropped like a rock and people were complaining about how lackluster it was while constantly asking for singleplayer DLC. I can only imagine the post release meetings when everyone realized that they had focused all of their post release effort on the wrong game mode.

The modern AAA shooter's singleplayer portion is just a five hour romp created solely to check a box and help sell the multiplayer game where all of the real post release support is dedicated, and it seems like id was totally going for that formula, only somewhere along the line they screwed up and actually made a pretty good singleplayer game instead.

There's no reason they couldn't have split the two gamemodes, they just didn't think this many people would have abandoned the multiplayer mode in favor of playing the singleplayer game exclusively.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    LutExIV wrote: »
    Man, I finally got around to finishing Doom single player. Wow, it's sooooo good. The combat is the perfect amount of new and old, and I love the way different enemies demand deferent approaches to combat. The fact that it is chock full of secrets and Easter eggs is just icing. I'm not a completionist, but it very much looks like I will Platinum this one. I even dig the extra lore they tossed in on how the different demons and environments came to be.

Speaking of secrets:
    I love how when you find the actual "Doomguy" collectible figure, he gives it a fist bump. Only one he does like that.

I agree with both of these things!

Just finished the single player tonight.

Liked it a whole lot.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I do have to say that the mapmaker challenge mode was really thought-provoking and a new twist. Even if I don't care about making maps, having a series of puzzles that teach you the mapmaker tools is fun.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

No, id are dummies. They had huge expectations for Doom multiplayer (including lots of DLC plans), and not long after release its playercount dropped like a rock and people were complaining about how lackluster it was while constantly asking for singleplayer DLC. I can only imagine the post release meetings when everyone realized that they had focused all of their post release effort on the wrong game mode.

The modern AAA shooter's singleplayer portion is just a five hour romp created solely to check a box and help sell the multiplayer game where all of the real post release support is dedicated, and it seems like id was totally going for that formula, only somewhere along the line they screwed up and actually made a pretty good singleplayer game instead.

There's no reason they couldn't have split the two gamemodes, they just didn't think this many people would have abandoned the multiplayer mode in favor of playing the singleplayer game exclusively.

I wonder if they would've been better off razor focusing on Doom for singleplayer exclusively and then Quake Champions as a complement. Yeah, yeah the Doom MP was outsourced anyway, but man if this wasn't a case of "we had to put it in to put a mark off that AAA shooter checklist" kind of thing. The most interesting to come out of it is SnapMap, except it's paired with a part of the game that is moribund. (Also fuck snapmap gimme actual mod tools, but w/e.)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    I think a Doom without multiplayer would have been too weird. It's bad enough they didn't ship it with traditional deathmatch. id literally invented the word "deathmatch".

They caught enough flak for not having shooter based multiplayer in Rage (in lieu of car combat), although shipping a modern first person shooter with co-op was a really cool change of pace. Not enough games let you shootmans with friends.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I'm not sure how accurate is to insinuate that this is the result of some huge miscalculation by id when it's pretty much the industry standard.

Like, out of the 380 games on my Steam list, only five games break out the multiplayer into it's own thing. (Half-Life: Source, Half-Life 2, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, The Ship, and SiN.) and the most recent one of those was released in like 2006.

Call of Duty used to do this, it was perfect having different installs for SP, MP, and Zombies. Honestly I think it should be industry standard for all games with SP and MP content to let you cut loose the weight of an entire campaign when you are done with it and just want to play MP. That and selecting a language at install so that you don't have more situations like Titanfall happen.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    For the one Call of Duty I've played outside of free weekends (Black Ops 1) multiplayer was a separate executable, but I don't think it actually let you install it separately.

I'm a little surprised selectively installing languages isn't more common. I think Valve is the main dev that does it.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Peewi wrote: »
    For the one Call of Duty I've played outside of free weekends (Black Ops 1) multiplayer was a separate executable, but I don't think it actually let you install it separately.

I'm a little surprised selectively installing languages isn't more common. I think Valve is the main dev that does it.
    Nope, it was separate installs.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Doom 3 shipped without a multiplayer component and it was a total shitstorm. They were docked (arbitrary, meaningless) points in review scores (seriously fuck review scores forever). One half of the Doom 3 Sucks equation was loldark. The other half was WTF ID NO MP SRSLY? So I can understand why they figured an (outsourced) multiplayer component for the latest Doom game was a necessity.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Drake wrote: »
    Doom 3 shipped without a multiplayer component and it was a total shitstorm. They were docked (arbitrary, meaningless) points in review scores (seriously fuck review scores forever). One half of the Doom 3 Sucks equation was loldark. The other half was WTF ID NO MP SRSLY? So I can understand why they figured an (outsourced) multiplayer component for the latest Doom game was a necessity.

Are you sure about that?

Wikipedia
    Doom 3 was released with a four-player multiplayer element, featuring four game modes.

Gamespot
    Out of the box, the game supports only up to four players on a handful of maps and in a small number of different deathmatch-style modes.

IGN
    After the single player is done, multiplayer will be giving you a half-evil grin. It's a pretty basic affair here. The limit on play was supposed to be four players, but we've actually seen games ranging up to 16 players. The multiplayer is definitely fun in a basic way, but it probably won't keep players' interest as much as Quake 3 did or Quake 4 will.

Undead Scottsman on