As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beyond: Two Souls - A girl and her poltergeist

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Games and Technology
Couldn't see an existing thread for this and there was a bit of discussion in the PSN thread so I thought it might be worth having a place specifically for it.

SPOILERS

Given the nature of the game this thread is likely to contain a forest of spoiler tags. PLEASE try to give a spoiler-free indication of whereabouts you are in the game outside of the tag so we all know if it's 'safe' to open it or not.

And be aware that given the game's "branching" nature (see, that 'forest of spoiler tags' bit was a pun!) even if you're passed that bit of the game you may still spoil a future play through.

Anyway, with that out of the way, what's this Beyond: Two Souls game all about?

Well, it's developed by a studio called Quantic Dreams who have made some other rather excellent games; the gorgeous Heavy Rain and the utterly non-sensical but still brilliant "Fahrenheit" (or "Indigo Prophecy" in the States, because otherwise you guys might have confused it with that Michael Moore film 'Fahrenheit 9/11'). Their games aren't really games in the traditional sense, they're more like interactive movies. Akin to the recent Telltale Walking Dead games, or to those old 'chose your destiny' books you could get.

Fahrenheit was a game about...well, actually I forget. It started with you committing a murder in a trance and then I'm pretty sure towards the end the Internet came alive. Whilst being utterly ridiculous, plot wise, it still managed to pull you in and keep you on edge with some insanely tense moments, leaving your controller sticky. With sweat. Hopefully. There WAS a sex scene. It also had a black detective with his own funk soundtrack for whenever he was on screen.

Then came Heavy Rain, which was an improvement in practically every way. In Heavy Rain you played as four different characters, with interlinking stories. There's a child abducting serial killer on the loose, will you be able to do what you have to to identify him? And can you stop from audibly groaning when the big twist is revealed? Jokes aside, it was bloody excellent and had a fairy large number of alternate endings.

That's not to say the games haven't received their fair share of criticisms. Some people don't like the controls, some can't roll with the frankly terrible plot developments in both games and some people complained the acting in Heavy Rain was awful.

Those people are right. The acting was fucking terrible. That takes us quite nicely to Beyond: Two Souls.

Starring Ellen Page of "The Last of Us" fame, and Willem Dafoe from the hit movie "Odd Thomas" the acting is good. In fact judging by the demo it's bloody great. Not an awful lot has been revealed about the plot as of yet. You play as Jodie a young girl linked to what I suspect is a supernatural entity/demon thingy called Aiden. The game follows Jodie from age 8 to 23 and according to wikipedia "features psychological, spiritual, and thriller elements, is centered around questions about what happens after death."

During the course of the game you control both Jodie, in traditional Quantic Dreams style, by directing her with the left analogue stick and maddly mashing buttons, twirling the right analogue stick and shaking the controller during action scenes to do cool stuff.

Different to the norm, however, is Aiden. He's controlled from a first person perspective. Being an 'entity' he's not so fussed with doors and walls and things and can fly straight through them. He can also knock things over, make people shiver and other cool stuff. But mostly he seems to knock things over.

Anyway, that's enough of me rambling, here's some eye candy:

BeyondTwoSouls.jpg
beyond_two_souls_36.jpg
beyond_two_souls_33.jpg
beyond_two_souls_30.jpg
beyond_two_souls_28.jpg

and here's a trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DLQUBTOLmE

I'll add some more pictures and videos to the op when I have a little more time. And I'll contribute to the thread a little more when I actually get the game (hopefully on Friday).

Oh, that's another thing. The Special Edition has an exclusive 30 minute scene. It's probably nothing important, but I'm a sucker for not wanting to miss out on things, so I've bought it. Also the EU release has had about ten seconds cut from it to obtain a PEGI 16 rating, rather than an 18. The developers say it's nothing important and if you didn't have the scene pointed out to you there's no way you'd realise.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    Also I can't edit the horrendous grammar/typos in the op, or the youtube link I screwed up because I'm on IE6 and there's no edit button so you'll just have to live with it.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I can't wait to get home and play this today!

Ellen Paaaaage! I'm going into this completely blind outside the basic premise. All I needed to hear when the game was first announced was Quantic Dream and Ellen Page. I did allow myself to watch a short preview video on the YouTubes, but that's it. All I know is that the Green Goblin is some kind of scientist government guy who is terribly interested in Juno and her ethereal buddy.

Man, dem screens is pretty.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    So it IS out today then? Damn you Americans!

• Options
    Rock, flag and eaaaaaaaaaglllleeeeeee!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Apparently, I bought the game twice. One LE from Gamestop, one non-LE from Amazon. Both arriving today. I need to stop doing that. Ugh.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    I really liked Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit. I also loved the hell out of Omikron.

I really want to get this game, dang it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I might be getting into. No one played it yet? Someone must have messed around with it!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'll let you know around 1PM. Assuming UPS does right by me.

• Options
    Machismo wrote: »
    I really liked Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit. I also loved the hell out of Omikron.

I really want to get this game, dang it. Unfortunately, I have no idea what I might be getting into. No one played it yet? Someone must have messed around with it!

There's a demo up on PSN.

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Wow, under the radar!

Guess I'll pick this up today.

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The reviews are out; it's averaging a 70 - because everyone either gave it a 9 or a 5.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Which means it should be a 9 experience for me, because I loved the demo's combat and have zero issue with it being linear.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I actually really dug Heavy Rain, so I'm tempted to pick this up as this gen's last hurrah.

Though I hear Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe were not untouched by David Cage's tenuous grasp of English idioms.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Man the writing in this is getting panned pretty hard in the negative reviews. Given that the press splooged over Heavy Rain's terrible writing, I am pretty wary about just how bad this must be.

• Options
    I don't get where "Terrible Writing" comes from in regards to Heavy Rain. It wasn't some masterpiece, but it was an enjoyable story imo. The only thing that didn't make sense to me was Ethan's (right, the dad?) blackouts. Those felt like they were supposed to be a plot point, but then forgotten about.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Heavy Rain, as an experience and pure advancement of dynamic storytelling in video games, was unprecedented and phenomenal and thrilling.

Heavy Rain, as a, "Let's sit down and really think about what just happened" exercise is less phenomenal. To put it mildly.

But I still enjoyed the hell out of it and feel like QD deserves some love for making attempts to really mesh gameplay and story. And take risks.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Also the first few hours of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit are some of the best and most memorable in gaming for me, the tension of controlling an unwitting killer and the people hunting him was absolutely brilliant.

It's a shame they couldn't stick the landing. Or the in-flight movie. ...Pretty much everything besides the take-off went into "what the hell just happened" territory.

• Options

It's fun reading the blurbs for the top reviews then scrolling to the bottom and reading those. Cage is one of those guys where reviews don't seem to matter; you either like his stuff or don't. It doesn't feel like there's a middle ground there.

'For all its promises of representing a change from the usual (supposed) shoot-bang zeitgeist, Beyond is just as nonsensical as any Call of Duty. It's a thriller without any intrigue, a character study bereft of character, and a game short of actual gameplay.' - 4/10

'Beyond: Two Souls is one of the most poignant and enthralling stories we have encountered in a video game, capable of stirring up the same depth of emotion as great works from the mediums of film and literature.' 10/10

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I don't get where "Terrible Writing" comes from in regards to Heavy Rain. It wasn't some masterpiece, but it was an enjoyable story imo. The only thing that didn't make sense to me was Ethan's (right, the dad?) blackouts. Those felt like they were supposed to be a plot point, but then forgotten about.

Plotholes, lazy storytelling devices, bad handeling of human relationships, unessacary inclusion of sci-fi and other stuff going into the pretentious, bad handeling of female charachters....

I could go on for hours, but that counts pretty much for the writing in any David Cage game.

I actually do think he's a great director and unmatched when it comes to creating an atmosphere, I just think he's his own worst enemy when it comes to gameplay and writing. (And No, I don't consider QTE's to be the pinnacle of integrating story with gameplay)

Or for short: Showers

C2B on
  • Options

Every single Quantic Dream game seems to suffer from overambition and then heavy culling and editing due to lack of funds. There were entire segments where you play through Ethan's blackouts cut out. The entire ending of Indigo Prophecy was cut, I hear.

To me, it's more that the acting is usually awful. And for Heavy Rain, people saying the writing was terrible makes me think of a few scenes of note:
    the infamous clock maker murder scene, as well as the scene where Madison finds out who the Origami Killer is in the hospital from the old lady. She doesn't know who Scott Shelby is, so she would have no real reason to be as shocked as she is. David Cage had to explain this after the game came out, saying that Madison didn't know who Scott was, but the player did, and so she reacted the way we would instead of bothering to be internally consistent with the game's own damn story.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Welp, my copy just arrived. Here we goooooooooo.

• Options
    Regardless of how you feel about David Cage or QD they are definitely doing very few developers are doing, and whether you love them or hate them they put something out that gives everybody something to talk about

Having strong opinions either for or against them is probably the best thing about QD, at least nothing they do is forgettable

• Options

Cage should maybe stick with directing these things as project manager or some such and let more capable hands do the writing. I can't see that ever happening though.

• Options

There was a supernatural-ish sub-plot cut out where
    There was a psychic link between Shelby and Ethan, something about Jason being killed in front of the mall and them both being present. Every time Shelby murdered someone Ethan blacked out and made the same actions as Shelby to make the Origami figure.

I'm not saying it's a good explanation, but it was their original intention.

• Options
    Every review I've read though praises Paige's acting in the game, so, the writing can't be that terrible.

• Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    Oh man, I'm really not excited about this since reviews have started dropping, which is a shame! Their other games are awesome and I was hoping for something else really cinematic to follow up the amazing Last of Us.

• Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Soooo is anyone else having trouble getting the game to actually load? I popped the game in, did the day one update, and it just sits on a black screen after the patch. I let it sit for around 10 minutes, the Playstation button doesn't do anything so I ended up resetting the system. Tried again, black screen. Threw in a few other PS3 games just to test, and all of em worked fine. So I wiped the update, and the game data, threw the game back in, let it update, after the update I get a little blue swirl in the bottom corner of the screen like something is loading then black screen again. I let it sit just in case it was loading something to the HD, but it has been 15 minutes and nothing....

Edit: After 25 minutes of black screen it finally decided to work. Soooo a 25 minute hard drive install with no indication of what its doing whatsoever? No clue.

Aoi on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Every review I've read though praises Paige's acting in the game, so, the writing can't be that terrible.

Dude. She's a solid actor. Any actor worth their salt can still ACT around some bad writing.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Picking this up in about 2 hours. Hopefully I will get a chance to play tonight.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options

Dude. She's a solid actor. Any actor worth their salt can still ACT around some bad writing.

The Star Wars Prequels would like to have a word with you.

• Options

Come on. Lucas made Liam Neeson look like a bad actor.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

Hah!

Well, at some point, you look at your director, your writer and your contract and decide, "I'm a working actor, I'm being paid for this and I'm FUCKED if I try to back out. Also, money is really nice. Let's see how much of a shit they give about my perf...oh, none at all? Very well, then. Paycheck gig, all the fucking way to the bank."

And then Ewen goes and drives motorcycles all across the world and shit.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Josh nailed it. I love the opening hour or so to each of Quantic's games. Then it all falls apart.

Falls apart might be mild.

Explodes into flaming tatters might do it.

Also I love how incredibly detailed Page's face is next to the not so detailed textures of her clothing. Looks like one of them photo prop dealies with the cut out hole so you get a real face on a cartoon cowboy.
    Super hyped for when Beyond: Two Souls gets dirt cheap and I drunkenly play it with a buddy

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wait, according to reviews the writing's actually worse than Heavy Rain? Yikes.

I can appreciate the concept of what Cage is trying to do with games, but great googly moogly he needs to hire a story editor already. I've said it before, but 80% of what was wrong with Heavy Rain could have been fixed with very minor tweaks that wouldn't have changed what he was going after at all.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Installing now!

From the setup i just had to do, it would appear that this game can be played couch co-op.

Holy shit... This game's stupidly gorgeous.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Played for about 4 hours straight now. I love it.

People complaining that this has "terrible writing" have bad opinions, in my book. Same goes for Heavy Rain.

• Options
    Josh nailed it. I love the opening hour or so to each of Quantic's games. Then it all falls apart.

Falls apart might be mild.

Explodes into flaming tatters might do it.

Also I love how incredibly detailed Page's face is next to the not so detailed textures of her clothing. Looks like one of them photo prop dealies with the cut out hole so you get a real face on a cartoon cowboy.
    Super hyped for when Beyond: Two Souls gets dirt cheap and I drunkenly play it with a buddy

They didn't just use the LA Noire tech on this, did they?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Just got home with my copy. Haven't gotten a game in a steelbook in a long time.

Diving in now.

Edit: Holy crap, I don't know what it's installing, but GTAV didn't take this long.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I broke Beyond already by not doing what it wanted me to do. :P

"Jodie, stop! You can stop now! The experiment is over!" "Oh God, please let me out! She's a monster!"

But... I'm not doing anything. I only pushed over the water bottle, lady!

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Game's pretty interesting so far. Writing seems ok too. Gotta scarf down some dinner and then imma jump back in!

• Options
    Digging it so far.

XdDBi4F.jpg